It almost seems like there has been an unofficial campaign against RIM in the press for the last 8 months.

Nice to see Canada's most circulated paper focusing on Apple's problems for a change!

LINK - need one more post to be allowed to post links. Standby!
    12-09-11 11:36 AM
    12-09-11 11:37 AM
    i'm used to seeing RIM bashing everyday on thestar.com

this is a change.
    12-09-11 11:45 AM
    I would not consider that to be a "problem". The device is doing what it is designed to do. Users need to learn how to use their devices in order to avoid international charges, and also need to purchase appropriate data plans if they plan to use a lot of data.

I've used >200MB data in one day on a BlackBerry.
    12-09-11 11:46 AM
    I would not consider that to be a "problem". The device is doing what it is designed to do. Users need to learn how to use their devices in order to avoid international charges, and also need to purchase appropriate data plans if they plan to use a lot of data.

Uh oh. Careful. That statement may qualify as "bashing" RIM.

avt123 likes this.
    12-09-11 11:49 AM
    It's not an Apple problem it's a user issue.............and on another note iCould only backs up when connected to wifi, plugged into a charger and screen locked....

You MUST be connected to a Wifi network to start a backup......
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-09-11 at 11:56 AM.
    reeneebob likes this.
    12-09-11 11:50 AM

Laura, please stop making sense.
    12-09-11 11:50 AM
    Apple devices have always been data hogs, nothing new here.
    12-09-11 11:57 AM
    I guess the problem is that the devices are being marketed on the strengths of certain services which effectively can not be used with the data plans that are being marketed hand in hand with the device.
    12-09-11 12:11 PM
    Lookie here, apple can't ever manage their data smartly, hence have lost their name "smartphone"
    12-09-11 12:18 PM
    Lookie here, apple can't ever manage their data smartly, hence have lost their name "smartphone"
    Managing the data usage is the responsibility of the user, not the device manufacturer.

Many ISPs also limit Internet data usage. If the ISP has a cap, and the user chooses to stream Netflix/Hulu every day or run BitTorrent 24/7 and exceeds the cap, it is not the fault of the ISP. Nor is it the fault of the PC HW/SW for allowing these applications to be run.
    12-09-11 12:23 PM
    It's not an Apple problem it's a user issue.............and on another note iCould only backs up when connected to wifi, plugged into a charger and screen locked....

You MUST be connected to a Wifi network to start a backup......
    And it even states on the iCloud backup setting that it has to be connected to Wifi, plugged in, and locked in order to back up.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    12-09-11 12:36 PM
    Managing the data usage is the responsibility of the user, not the device manufacturer.

Many ISPs also limit Internet data usage. If the ISP has a cap, and the user chooses to stream Netflix/Hulu every day or run BitTorrent 24/7 and exceeds the cap, it is not the fault of the ISP. Nor is it the fault of the PC HW/SW for allowing these applications to be run.
    Yes but you need to admit this:

I have run heavy internet use with social feeds running and all within my old cap of 800 MB. An iPhone doing the same stuff will go to approx 1.5 - 2.0 GB. Its a users fault but Apple made the device so that carriers can profit
    12-09-11 12:48 PM
    yep def no surprise there, but great that they are not bashing RIM this time.
    Blackberry are amazing when it comes to data, heck every month I end
    up at 150-160mb and I use a lot of facebook, photobucket uploading,
    youtube and of course tons of web browsing.
    12-09-11 01:04 PM
    Yes but you need to admit this:

I have run heavy internet use with social feeds running and all within my old cap of 800 MB. An iPhone doing the same stuff will go to approx 1.5 - 2.0 GB. Its a users fault but Apple made the device so that carriers can profit
    Apple made the phone to be a communication and an entertainment device. It does do this well which means that the users will be using more data than with a phone that is less entertainment oriented. It was not created to make the carriers a profit on overcharges of data. People use more data because they are doing things to burn it up.

Now, could the code be written in such a way to use less data without sacrificing the user experience? I have no idea. I would think that if they could, they would have already done that.

My 9810 uses more data than my 9800 did, but that is because my browsing experience is quicker and richer. Because my browser is quick, I rely less on my computer. Hence, more data usage. However, I have this advantage...I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

It is not the phone, it is the user. The user has to understand that the ability to use some new "cool" features (such as Siri) comes with a price.
    12-09-11 01:04 PM
    Its a users fault but Apple made the device so that carriers can profit
    Yes, I'm sure that's why they released iMessage, so the carriers can profit. I'm also sure that's why FaceTime is wi-fi only, and why they've restricted some other services to wi-fi as well, so that carriers could profit. Your argument makes perfect sense as long as you ignore all the unsupportive facts
    avt123 and phonejunky like this.
    12-09-11 01:08 PM
    Yes, I'm sure that's why they released iMessage, so the carriers can profit. I'm also sure that's why FaceTime is wi-fi only, and why they've restricted some other services to wi-fi as well, so that carriers could profit. Your argument makes perfect sense as long as you ignore all the unsupportive facts
    FaceTime is not WiFi only.

The issue is that the device makers work hand in hand with the carriers for marketing purposes and to determine how to structure plans. They sell low data plans to make the phones appear more affordable, however this renders many of the features unusable. These are mass market devices and the majority of consumers are not particularly tech savy (myself included).
    12-09-11 01:18 PM
    Apple made the phone to be a communication and an entertainment device. It does do this well which means that the users will be using more data than with a phone that is less entertainment oriented. It was not created to make the carriers a profit on overcharges of data. People use more data because they are doing things to burn it up.

Now, could the code be written in such a way to use less data without sacrificing the user experience? I have no idea. I would think that if they could, they would have already done that.

My 9810 uses more data than my 9800 did, but that is because my browsing experience is quicker and richer. Because my browser is quick, I rely less on my computer. Hence, more data usage. However, I have this advantage...I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

It is not the phone, it is the user. The user has to understand that the ability to use some new "cool" features (such as Siri) comes with a price.
    So your saying Siri is cool and has penalties. Obviously it does but Apple could have been smarter than that or persuade AT&T or something. I don't want my phone to go to a server and rebound info for even the slightest voice message. Its crazy. Apple puts soo much mem in a device (which they actually don't put the max) and then they can't spare to use non-network software? Its 30-60 GB for christs sake. Also, entertainment device? I can jolly well say my 99XX is an entertainment device. I can watch my favorite videos on YouTube in beautiful HTML5. Even if the iphone was a show piece,
    It could do better at data. Hands on
    12-09-11 01:18 PM

The issue is that the device makers work hand in hand with the carriers for marketing purposes and to determine how to structure plans. They sell low data plans to make the phones appear more affordable, however this renders many of the features unusable. These are mass market devices and the majority of consumers are not particularly tech savy (myself included).
    *Requires a FaceTime-enabled Mac with an Internet connection or a FaceTime-enabled iOS device with a Wi-Fi connection. Not available in all areas.

Do you wear a tinfoil hat too?

Hang with friends in one city. Visit family in another. Make that important meeting. And catch the game at the ballpark. With a tap, you can make video calls from your iPhone to someone else’s iPhone, iPad 2, iPod touch, or Mac over Wi-Fi.* And be there in person even when you’re not.
    12-09-11 01:22 PM

Facetime is WiFi-only, unless the user jailbreaks his iPhone. iOS: Using FaceTime

Enable FaceTime On iPhone 4 3G Network Running iOS 5.0/5.0.1 | iJailbreak.com
    avt123 likes this.
    12-09-11 01:34 PM
    FaceTime video calling added to iPhone 4... and it's WiFi-only -- Engadget

You see, not only is FaceTime wi-fi only, but it's been one of its most criticized flaws.
    Last edited by Economist101; 12-09-11 at 01:44 PM.
    avt123 likes this.
    12-09-11 01:34 PM
    FaceTime video calling added to iPhone 4... and it's WiFi-only -- Engadget

You see, not only is FaceTime wi-fi only, but it's been one of its most criticized flaws.
    Exactly. Honestly I think AT&T had to weigh the balance between letting FaceTime connect over 3G and hog up their network (but making profit from people blowing through their data allotment), or how often do they want to deal with customers complaining that their bill suddenly shot up $500 at the end of the month.
    avt123 and Tre Lawrence like this.
    12-09-11 03:35 PM
    actually it has to do more with the fact that a lot of AT&T customers where on the unlimited data plan back then.
    Now a bigger percentage of their customers are on the 200mb data plan.
    12-09-11 06:09 PM
    Must have been on a Jailbroken phone then as I was in the middle of a field on Cape Breton Island when I used it.
    12-09-11 06:52 PM
    ok the thing that stuck out to me was the factthat these people only have a 200meg data plan.....i got 1gig with Bell and im able to upgrade to 6gigs if i want to fork out the extra 10$ but reallly only a 200meg plan?!?!?
    12-09-11 07:13 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD