My Passport slipped out of my pocket while getting out of the car. And now...

It finally happened, dropped the phone-img_20160312_145527_edit.jpg

S&@#.

Time to get a replacement device.

I wasn't even considering getting a new phone until my passport really died. May still use this a while until I see a device that works for me.

Going Android is a strong possibility since I use a lot of Android apps anyway [waze, lastpass, delta, national car rental, the economist, teamviewer, yelp, eat24, and a few others] but which are good options for a BlackBerry user? Priv, S7, Nexus, LG?

Must have TMO Wifi calling.

Or maybe I'll get a used passport to hold me over on BB10 still a while longer. Hub and keyboard and the swiping from app to app just feels right..

dunno. For my next phone, to BB10 or not.. that's the question.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 02:18 PM
    Oh man, sorry to see that. At least it's only a phone and easily replaceable.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 02:21 PM
    Please consider giving your post a descriptive title, such as: 'I dropped my Passport and broke its screen."
    DrBoomBotz, web99 and TGR1 like this.
    03-12-16 02:21 PM
    Please consider giving your post a descriptive title, such as: 'I dropped my Passport and broke its screen."
    +1 IMO it's a form of click bait.
    03-12-16 02:31 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160312_145527_edit.jpg 
Views:	2207 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	393987

S&@#.

I wasn't even considering getting a new phone until my passport really died. May still use this a while until I see a device that works for me.

Going Android is a strong possibility since I use a lot of Android apps anyway [waze, lastpass, delta, national car rental, the economist, teamviewer, yelp, eat24, and a few others] but which are good options for a BlackBerry user? Priv, S7, Nexus, LG?

Or maybe I'll get a used passport to hold me over on BB10 still a while longer. Hub and keyboard and the swiping from app to app just feels right..

Posted via CB10
    There are some good used BlackBerry phones in the Marketplace. Then you can get yourself an Android brand new, if you want one.
    03-12-16 03:13 PM
    Another option is to replace the screen. Not easy to do yourself. Also, consider the Passport SE.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 04:00 PM
    Problem: a huge crack on my BlackBerry. Solution: post it on Crackberry and ask for recommendations for an Android phone. BlackBerry + cracked = Crackberry. Priv = Android, therefore Crackberry = Android. Got it. It all makes sense now. It's guilt by association. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Erik_1991 and valer466 like this.
    03-12-16 07:14 PM
    Lots of videos on YouTube on BlackBerry screen replacement, including Passport. Looks pretty easy to me

BB, Still the One
    03-12-16 07:21 PM
    I know exactly how you feel... Earlier this week my 9900 (I use it as a 3rd device/burner line) took a spill from the balcony and when I rushed to its aid I discovered a cracked screen... After 5 years of love, I failed it...

It finally happened, dropped the phone-img_20160312_202044.jpg
    It finally happened, dropped the phone-img_20160312_202110.jpg
    It finally happened, dropped the phone-img_20160312_204516.jpg

But rejoice as the screen replacement cost less than $25 and will be a breeze to install... She shall live on!

Best regards to you and your Passport in your time of need! BB10 devices aren't nearly as simple as the legacy devices to self repair, but it's far from impossible too, definitely worth giving it a shot. If you love it you don't have to let it go you know?

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    03-12-16 07:51 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160312_145527_edit.jpg 
Views:	2207 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	393987

S&@#.

Posted via CB10
    Definitely the priv. No other android phone has the blackberry features a we have grown to love in bb10. The others aren't even close

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    asublimeday likes this.
    03-13-16 03:58 AM
    Yeah I think i'm going to try out the priv.

Which (US) stores have a decent return policy so I can return it if it doesn't work out for me? I thought about getting it through TMO but they have restocking fees. I also thought about getting a used priv but I,d have to go through trouble to sell it if I don't like it. Buying new seems to be the direction i'm heading right now.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 02:52 PM
    Or you can order a replacement screen from Amazon and replace it yourself which I did when my dropped my passport to the ground from 6 feet high.

Posted via CB10
    mrimperfect likes this.
    03-14-16 03:02 PM
    I can't understand, isn't the screen replaceable?

You said that the phone died but it seems to me alive and kicking!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 03:42 PM
    I can't understand, isn't the screen replaceable?

You said that the phone died but it seems to me alive and kicking!!!

Posted via CB10
    Nah not dead though it has quite an injury. Some parts of the screen don't register to the touch anymore but it's still sort of usable.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 03:55 PM
    Or you can order a replacement screen from Amazon and replace it yourself which I did when my dropped my passport to the ground from 6 feet high.

Posted via CB10
    How long did it take you to repair and what special tools do you need? Do you have the link to the screen you purchased?

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 03:57 PM
    If you're set on getting a new phone get the priv. It's wonderful.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 09:00 PM
    The Priv is the best phone I've ever owned, and I've been down the Samsung / Apple road extensively.

Whatever you get, put a screen protector and case on it..
    03-15-16 07:58 AM
    Why? Clickbait is obviously the way forward.

Kidding.

Maybe.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 09:35 AM
    I figured out what to do with the broken phone.

I found a way to buy a priv off amazon for $200 off so I went with that.

I'll fix the passport also.

If I don't like the priv I can return it or sell it and keep the passport. Otherwise I sell the passport and further reduce my cost of the new phone. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 01:25 PM
    That sounds like a great solution to your accident! The price of the Priv is a steal...
    03-17-16 03:44 PM
    Here is the link to the Amazon site:

This is where I bought my replacement screen. It comes with all the tools you need.

Google the following keywords as CB would not allow me to post link: Amazon.com: Unifix-LCD Display + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement Parts for Blackberry Passport Q30 + Tool Kit: Cell Phones & Accessories

Posted via CB10
    mrimperfect likes this.
    03-17-16 04:36 PM