NOTE 2: As of August 2010, Verizon customers and possibly customers of other services are no longer able to set up push email with Windows Live (Hotmail, Live, etc) accounts. Only POP is available, except for legacy connections that have already switched to MSP. If you have an email account that you previously set up via BIS with MSP, do not remove it, you will not be able to get that functionality back.

NOTE: As of May 2010, it seems that there is no longer the option of switching to Microsoft's Mobile Services Protocol *through online BIS.* Therefore much of this thread is mostly meaningless. Now, you simply go into "Email Settings" within the phone, "Edit" your hotmail account(s), go to "Advanced Options," and then "Change Protocol." However, due to weird delays happening recently with push service for some Hotmail accounts, I'm not sure I recommend it any more. YMMV.

So there have been about 5000 threads here on push service for Hotmail. And no definitive answers. Some (recent) threads say it's not available. Some say it is. So I thought I'd post the definitive answer.

YES, Hotmail provides push email for free for Blackberry through BIS. It's nearly instantaneous, under a minute lag, usually about 10 seconds (EDIT: Though on some days it can be several minutes when there is lots of network traffic). If your lag is ~15 minutes, then you don't have it set up correctly. Here's how to set it up correctly.

If your service provider set you up with a BIS username and password from the beginning, go into BIS from your computer.

If you have tried that and it says something about having to access BIS from your phone, do this:

Go to the Options Folder, then Email Settings. Click Menu key. Select "Create User Name." Note: this will force you to enter your username and password each time you go into Email Settings in the future. But you will not have to enter a password for each individual email account you change in the future.

Select a username and password. Then go to Blackberry's online BIS login, which is located here:

For verizon
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

For sprint
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=sprint

For att
    BlackBerry Internet Service

For t-mobile (need to login to My T-mobile)
    BIS Login

if you have another provider, google 'blackberry bis [your provider name]'

Select the Hotmail account you want push email for, or create a new one. Click "Edit".

At the bottom of the page is a button that says "Change Protocol." This will change the Hotmail protocol from POP3 (non-push) to Mobile Services Protocol (push). It will say that you can't switch back. Fine. It should "successfully change protocol" and you're done.

(I do not know if you can switch back to POP3 by deleting and then re-adding the Hotmail email account.)

After completed, it will resend the email account to your phone. It will also re-add the default sig "Sent from my XXX Blackberry" if you removed it. You can remove it again if you like.

You are done. Now new email messages will be pushed from Hotmail to your device. And you will have cool sync stuff like if you read the message on your blackberry, it will mark it as read within your hotmail web account as well.

Last edited by Furballz; 08-23-10 at 12:53 AM.
    SanctiSpiritus likes this.
    11-11-09 12:25 AM
    OK, I did all of that.

What do I do when it says something like this:

Any help is much appreciated.
    11-17-09 07:26 PM
    I'm not seeing "change protocol". Im running OS 5.0 if that matters.
    11-17-09 07:31 PM
    Ok,
    I just tried it, although it says that, The Mobile Protocol has started working.
    I'm getting e-mails immediately.

11-17-09 07:36 PM
    I am running OS 4.6 on Rogers. And I also do not see "change protocol".
    11-17-09 09:47 PM
    Just went in and changed it, thank you so much this has been bugging me forever. Hopefully this gets stickied.
    11-17-09 10:41 PM
    I did this once, and for me it made it not push (if that makes any sense). I was getting instant e-mails before I did the Mobile Serviced Protocol, and when I made the switch, I would get them im 15-20 min interals...
    11-18-09 07:39 AM
    I'm not seeing "change protocol". Im running OS 5.0 if that matters.
    I am running OS 4.6 on Rogers. And I also do not see "change protocol".
    That you are telling me about your OS means you haven't gone into the WEB BASED BIS. You cannot change protocol from your phone. Please reread instructions and try again. (EDIT: Some newer phones CAN change these settings from within the phone)
    Last edited by Furballz; 05-04-10 at 07:50 PM.
    11-18-09 08:35 AM
    I did this once, and for me it made it not push (if that makes any sense). I was getting instant e-mails before I did the Mobile Serviced Protocol, and when I made the switch, I would get them im 15-20 min interals...
    Ummm.. I don't know what to tell you. Hotmail's POP3 wouldn't have been pushing, and MSP would be. Your universe must be inverted.
    11-18-09 08:37 AM
    That you are telling me about your OS means you haven't gone into the WEB BASED BIS. You cannot change protocol from your phone. Please reread instructions and try again.
    Lmao sorry I didn't see the part about accessing it thru the computer I was kind of quickly skimming over the instructions while I was in class while trying to find the change protocol option on my Tour's email settings before the battery died.

I'll try this. Hopefully it fixes my problem. I used to get emails instantly when I first got my Tour, but now it seems like they never come most of the time, or they're extremely late and show up all at once, even along with the Facebook notifications that I never got.
    11-18-09 08:56 AM
    That you are telling me about your OS means you haven't gone into the WEB BASED BIS. You cannot change protocol from your phone. Please reread instructions and try again.
    I did use the web based BIS. I only see:
    1) Email account name
    2) Reply to
    3) User name
    4) Password
    5) Signature
    6) Auto BCC to

and the Cancel and Save buttons.
    11-18-09 10:43 AM
    I did use the web based BIS. I only see:
    1) Email account name
    2) Reply to
    3) User name
    4) Password
    5) Signature
    6) Auto BCC to

and the Cancel and Save buttons.
    Hmm...same here. All of that but no change protocol. Any ideas OP?
    11-18-09 11:11 AM
    these are hotmail accounts? If so, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you could try deleting the account, then re-adding it. Never heard of online BIS not having that option for microsoft accounts. Sorry.
    11-18-09 06:58 PM
    This is what the screen should look like once you hit the little icon that corresponds to "Edit" for a hotmail/live/msn email account from within online BIS:
    11-18-09 07:16 PM
    jabbs, furballz is correct - delete and re-add. it worked for me.
    11-18-09 08:57 PM
    jabbs, furballz is correct - delete and re-add. it worked for me.
    Yes it worked! Thank you.

Is push service for hotmail still delayed if I am on msn using my laptop? I just tested it by sending an email from my gmail to hotmail while on msn... it has been more than 15 mins and the email hasn't arrived to my BlackBerry yet.
    Last edited by calvinc; 11-18-09 at 09:21 PM.
    11-18-09 09:17 PM
    This is what the screen should look like once you hit the little icon that corresponds to "Edit" for a hotmail/live/msn email account from within online BIS:
    You should of done a screen shot tutorial. Good job!
    11-18-09 09:27 PM
    So there have been about 5000 threads here on push service for Hotmail. And no definitive answers. Some (recent) threads say it's not available. Some say it is. So I thought I'd post the definitive answer.

YES, Hotmail provides push email for free for Blackberry through BIS. It's nearly instantaneous, about a minute lag. If your lag is ~15 minutes, then you don't have it set up correctly. Here's how to set it up correctly.

If your service provider set you up with a BIS username and password from the beginning, go into BIS from your computer.

If you have tried that and it says something about having to access BIS from your phone, do this:

Go to the Options Folder, then Email Settings. Click Menu key. Select "Create User Name." Note: this will force you to enter your username and password each time you go into Email Settings in the future. But you will not have to enter a password for each individual email account you change in the future.

Select a username and password. Then go to Blackberry's online BIS login, which is located here:

For verizon
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

For sprint
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=sprint

if you have another provider, google 'blackberry bis [your provider name]'

Select the Hotmail account you want push email for, or create a new one. Click "Edit".

At the bottom of the page is a button that says "Change Protocol." This will change the Hotmail protocol from POP3 (non-push) to Mobile Services Protocol (push). It will say that you can't switch back. Fine. It should "successfully change protocol" and you're done.

(I do not know if you can switch back to POP3 by deleting and then re-adding the Hotmail email account.)

After completed, it will resend the email account to your phone. It will also re-add the default sig "Sent from my XXX Blackberry" if you removed it. You can remove it again if you like.

You are done. Now new email messages will be pushed from Hotmail to your device. And you will have cool sync stuff like if you read the message on your blackberry, it will mark it as read within your hotmail web account as well.

[size=1.6] Thank you [/size].

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 10:53 PM
    ...If your lag is ~15 minutes, then you don't have it set up correctly. Here's how to set it up correctly.
    I followed the procedure to the letter and my push is <5 mins.
    11-19-09 12:06 AM
    Yes it worked! Thank you.

Is push service for hotmail still delayed if I am on msn using my laptop? I just tested it by sending an email from my gmail to hotmail while on msn... it has been more than 15 mins and the email hasn't arrived to my BlackBerry yet.
    Any time that you have your email inbox open on your PC, for example having your email web client open or Outlook open with the automatic send/receive enabled, you are likely to not receive your mail on your device because you're getting it on the computer first. Picture your email's travels as water through a garden hose. Your BlackBerry is the sprinkler at the end, and having a PC email client open effectively puts a huge hole in the hose halfway down. The water doesn't get to the sprinkler anymore! Lol

11-19-09 12:14 AM
    I've heard that before too, but on my laptop I use Trillian with several Hotmail accounts open in it at once, all the time. If I get a new email it hits Trillian first, then about 5-10 seconds later it hits my blackberry.

Although the first day or so it was taking about a minute to go through.
    11-19-09 12:34 AM
    ...having your email web client open or Outlook open with the automatic send/receive enabled, you are likely to not receive your mail on your device because you're getting it on the computer first.
    You should have your email client set to leave messages on the server after being opened on the PC by the client. That will ensure that despite the message having been read on the PC, it will still get pushed to the BB.
    11-19-09 12:41 AM
    You should have your email client set to leave messages on the server after being opened on the PC by the client. That will ensure that despite the message having been read on the PC, it will still get pushed to the BB.
    You are correct, and thanks for adding that. That would definitely work for people who use a desktop client like Outlook, but I don't know if all email services have that option in their web clients. The OP and anyone with this issue should look into that.

11-19-09 12:46 AM
    I'm thinking that if an email client doesn't have the option / setting to leave messages on the server, then it's possible that the client doesn't remove the message upon opening. As long as the message is on the server, it'll get pushed. You can probably test this theory by opening a message with the client and then going into the web based email account and see if it's still there. Don't know for sure - just thinking out loud.
    11-19-09 01:03 AM
    This thread is great! I did log in the first time and realize the change protocal option wasn't there so i deleted and re added and it was the changed it and now waiting to test it. Anyone wanna shoot me a random test message with the time you set it? [email protected]
    11-19-09 02:42 AM
157 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD