The two examples I used for screen shots are comprised of multiple files, the ones highlighted are only ones installed in an English language version. I did that to calculate the space saved by removing the app.

Some prefer the drag and drop for the files. The trick it to use the right button when selecting the file. That gives you a Move option.

Others prefer the keyboard shortcuts, Ctrl+X to Cut and Ctrl+P to paste.

Then there is the drop down commands that Chaz mentioned.

Edit / Cut, Edit / Paste.

I didn't mention my least favorite. Select the files and Delete. If anything goes wrong, you can recover them from the Recycle Bin, if they are still there.

20 Mb is healthy, you are good to go.
    07-01-08 03:20 PM
    One more thing that uses up memory is the boring stuff like emails and a large address list.

As Stoner's guide suggests, you can get quite a bit of memory back by removing:
    - the at&t theme (up to 700Kb)
    - the BlackBerry Sample Video (2Mb)
    - at&t Push To Talk (not much space but a pain)

This stuff can be removed quite easily by copying and then deleting from the Java folder of the OS and then reconnecting to Desktop Manager and launchng App Loader.

The 15Mb you have is adequate. You should keep your eye on it almost daily to see if any one of your apps causes it to drop rapidly. If it gets below about 10Mb do a battery pull.
    07-01-08 03:26 PM
    Thanks for all the help so far.

I'm going to try this...
    07-01-08 03:27 PM
    I have lots of programs on my 8310 and still have 21,531,347 left in free space. I did get rid of all the extra themes, PTT, etc but I have InfoSpace, Google Maps, FreeRange RSS, CB Launcher, weather network, MaraTick, BB Tracker, Bookworm and Chainz on my phone.

Seems like you should have WAY more free space than me.....
    07-01-08 04:59 PM

Do you delete every file that had the name of what you want to delete?
    IE: there's like 10 "passwordkeepers" and only 3 highlighted in the pic.
    07-02-08 12:34 PM

Do you delete every file that had the name of what you want to delete?
    IE: there's like 10 "passwordkeepers" and only 3 highlighted in the pic.
    If you step through Stoner's guide then this will make sense

You only need to remove the ones that are high-lighted in his guide!! And the other are skipped by the AppLoader in the process because they are not applicable to your device some how or another.

For example, there are a bunch of different vendor themes and then there is foreign language support... but for your apploader only loads apps for your vendor and for the languages you selected to be supported!!

So, yes, only "remove" / "delete" the ones he specifies... and it will work!!

(and when you "delete", just be sure to cut and paste into a directory in case you ever need to revert back!!)

Good luck!!
    07-02-08 12:41 PM
    Thanks.

I want to delete the At&t theme.
    How do I know which that is?
    There is one listed as "a_icon"...but I'm not sure.
    07-02-08 12:49 PM
    [QUOTE=Pete6;448413]One more thing that uses up memory is the boring stuff like emails and a large address list.[QUOTE]

Hmmmm; I'm running right at 20,914,837, but I also have 242 records in my Address Book. So would that help explain (since I did do Stoner's Patented Memory Enhancer) why I'm not near 30,000,000? (And at present, I have 924 records in my Calendar, and 206 Memo; I like to keep track of stuff.)
    07-02-08 12:55 PM
    Ah..nevermind..
    I guess it's Stoner recomendation not to delete the carrier theme.
    Atleast that's what I got from the thread.
    That will be detailed in Stoner's guide...

you can also modify the BlackBerry.alx file and change the vendor number on the ATT theme to something besides 102, which is ATTs vendor ID. You could change it to 100, for example and it will pass over that theme on install!

Note, if you remove all of the themes... including BB_Zen and all of those... then you will have some wacky and quirky experiences. It is alright to remove the ATT one, unless it is what you have set before the install takes place. Make sure you set your device to a theme that you will not be removing before you remove the themes or you will have some weird behaviour occur!
    Ah..nevermind..
    I guess it's Stoner recomendation not to delete the carrier theme.
    Atleast that's what I got from the thread.
    You can remove it as long as you are careful about the process. Even if you do remove it and your device "goes funky"... then you can revert back!! Always experiment and try it!! You can always revert back if you are keeping the removed files in a backup directory!!
    07-02-08 12:57 PM
    Ok..
    So that was the right one then 102_a_icon.
    Hope nothing bad happends.
    I'm going to run the App Loader now.
    07-02-08 12:59 PM
    Good Luck!! Let us know how it goes!!
    07-02-08 01:01 PM
    The AT&T theme should look like this -

net_rim_theme_102a_icon_320x240_b.cod
    07-02-08 01:01 PM
    Grrr...

File free:22447500

I delete VOD, PTT, Passwordkeeper, Today theme and At&t theme.

Why was that only 2Mb?!

EDIT:
    I don't think the VOD got removed. The "About" screen still appears normally.
    Why would this be?
    I deleted the selected files in Stoners guide.
    Last edited by Miss.Horrible; 07-02-08 at 01:17 PM.
    07-02-08 01:14 PM
    I deleted the VAD also, and then About wouldn't work (as expected) - then after BIS 2.5 and resending the service books, About was working again.
    Not sure if that's the reason your About still works, but could be.
    07-02-08 01:23 PM
    Grrr...

File free:22447500

I delete VOD, PTT, Passwordkeeper, Today theme and At&t theme.

Why was that only 2Mb?!

EDIT:
    I don't think the VOD got removed. The "About" screen still appears normally.
    Why would this be?
    I deleted the selected files in Stoners guide.
    Whats wrong with 22MB of free space. Thats good to me. I am costantly at 20MB
    07-02-08 01:28 PM
    I don't see the icon on the screen.
    Is there another way to see if it's on there/works?
    I never use VOD, so I don't know.
    07-02-08 01:28 PM
    Whats wrong with 22MB of free space. Thats good to me. I am costantly at 20MB
    I have BBM, and the only other app I have is CB Laucher.
    I kept the wallpapers so I could have colored folders.
    With what everyone says and has on their BB,
    if I only have that one app seems like it should be more.
    07-02-08 01:30 PM
    Actually yea, you should have more. I have about 4 themes installed, and about 15 apps.
    weather eye
    weather bug
    google search
    cb launcher
    viigo
    opera mini
    espn
    tv guide
    google maps
    jivetalk
    and 6 games

OHHHH, Is that why i can't change the color of my added folders?!?!?! I was wondering why I couldn't do that. I deleted all that unwanted ****. Now i know, and knowing is half the battle.
    07-02-08 01:34 PM
    The BlackBerry wallpapers and default crap, such as the sample pictures (the file that you wanna keep for the colored folders) takes up a fair amount of space!! Unless it is absolutely needed... I would get rid of it!!

And are you using a microSD for your own personal media, pics, etc?? Using that and changing the settings that Stoner details also saves a good chunk of space. I am running with about 27MB free...

and you removed the sample video... right?! Around 22 - 25 mb free is really good!
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-02-08 at 01:38 PM.
    07-02-08 01:35 PM
    The BlackBerry wallpapers and default crap, such as the sample pictures (the file that you wanna keep for the colored folders) takes up a fair amount of space!! Unless it is absolutely needed... I would get rid of it!!

And are you using a microSD for your own personal media, pics, etc?? Using that and changing the settings that Stoner details also saves a good chunk of space. I am running with about 27MB free...

and you removed the sample video... right?! Around 22 - 25 mb free is really good!
    Hey BMC, just curios, what are the settings stoner advised when using a micro sd. I just put in my sd card a couple days ago and want to make sure my setting are correct.
    07-02-08 01:39 PM
    It can't possibly take up THAT much room.
    I mean, I know I'm not going to put any other apps on my BB.
    I don't need anything else.
    I like my colored folders so..'nuff said.

Yes to the SD card..
    And The Device Memory Limit (12Mb)...and Pics at 0..

And I removed the Sample Video ages ago.

Sigh...why isn't this working...?
    07-02-08 01:40 PM
    I think the wallpapers (along with the other stuff it removes) takes up somewhere around 3Mb, but I could be mistaken. You can always remove it... see how you like it, and revert back if you don't like it!!

For microSD card settings. Go to Media, then Menu > Options

Device Memory Limit : 12 MB
    Reserved Pictures Memory : 0MB
    07-02-08 01:43 PM
    If i am not mistaken, shouldn't the device memory limit be at 5mb????
    07-02-08 01:43 PM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD