I have a Blackberry 8520 and so does my husband. Both second hand from different people.

Now his is different from mine in the layout. His BB Messenger is called BB Pin instead (took me ages to realise it was the same thing, I thought I was doing something wrong lol)

I was wondering if I connected my BB to the desktop thing (not done it yet), then will mine change to his type/volume?

Mine is v4.6.1.314 (Platform 4.2.0.135)
    His is v5.0.0.681 (Platform 5.2.0.67)

Thank you
    02-02-12 04:21 PM
    You would need to download the OS and install it from computer to your device
    02-02-12 04:29 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry.

The fine folks around here are very knowledgable and friendly (and smart, did I mention how smart they are??)

There's a wealth of information here...

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-how-faq-f3/

and here...

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-how-faq-f3/

including how to download and install an OS.
    It's like anything else, it's only scary the first time.
    02-02-12 04:48 PM
    It's like anything else, it's only scary the first time.
    I'm very nervous about that lol.

Will it wipe anything?

Thank you cntrydncr233 and ezrunner!
    02-02-12 05:13 PM
    make sure to do a backup of your device first. to be on the safe side then install process should import all of you on device data automatically
    02-02-12 05:18 PM
    xangeleyes,
    first, welcome !

Then, I'll suggest you do it the simpliest way (I know).
    1. Download and install the Blackberry desktop software (BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry Software at BlackBerry.com) on your desktop
    2. Plug your phone to your computer with the USB cable you should (?) have
    3. Wait until the Desktop Software starts
    4. It may ask you how you want to configure synchronization and backups, in a few and easy steps you'll get threw it.
    5. Then, it should prompt you that "an upgrade is available for your phone" ... just accept and it'll manage the whole process. Follow "him", he's a good guy !

This is a shortcut, so you may refer to the excellent links ^^ . Double check if you don't feel comfortable !
    02-02-12 05:22 PM
    I have a Blackberry 8520 and so does my husband. Both second hand from different people.

Now his is different from mine in the layout. His BB Messenger is called BB Pin instead (took me ages to realise it was the same thing, I thought I was doing something wrong lol)

I was wondering if I connected my BB to the desktop thing (not done it yet), then will mine change to his type/volume?

Mine is v4.6.1.314 (Platform 4.2.0.135)
    His is v5.0.0.681 (Platform 5.2.0.67)

Thank you
    By desktop thing am assuming you mean desktop software. When you hook up your BB to it, it should automatically tell you that there's an upgrade for it. If you choose to upgrade it will do a back up as the initial step in the process, so you shouldn't lose anything.
    02-02-12 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD