1. With "dial from homescreen off I can launch calendar, messages, bbm, notes, tasks, browser, gtalk, yahoo messenger, options, search, contacts, compose and password lock the phone by just pressing one key
    2. I can set a speed dial for all the letters on the qwerty keyboard
    3. By using quicklaunch I can launch even more apps, probably all of them by pressing space first then a letter or a combination of 2 letters.
    4.I can type easily while in a moving vehicle.
    5. While inside any app there's even more shortcuts by just pressing a key.

Feel free to ad more reasons
    I often find myself not using the UI navigation at all

My personal opinion is many blackberry owners didn't know about the shortcuts before they moved to a touchscreen, that was me when I moved from a 8320 to a Storm2 and then back to a 9700.
    I was pleasantly surprised to find even the old 8707 had the same shortcuts and I suspect earlier blackberrys too.

Keep up the qwerty love.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 04:50 AM
    Here Here! (or Hear Hear...)

Gotta love the qwerty... i just cant picture myself with a touchscreen.

I like my screen neat, tidy, and not fingerprinted like a crime scene...
    08-23-10 04:58 AM
    QWERTY for life!

Now we wait for a touchscreen diehard to charm in, and let the trolling begin

08-23-10 08:16 AM
    I agree with the necessity of a qwerty, and BB's qwerty is the best! But, wouldn't it be great to have a combo qwerty/touch screen, as in the often-mentioned Dakota/Magnum? I think that would be the best of both worlds!
    08-23-10 08:33 AM
  5. T
    Though I don't use Quicklaunch app, I love my BlackBerry shortcuts. (I have dialing from home screen set to off.) And I can't stand touchscreen.
    08-23-10 08:39 AM
    I want a QWERTY as my pprime means of input but I do see a place for a touch screen. It is very intuitive to point and touch (although not with nubile young things in public, Mrs. Pete6 says).

Having seen (but not touched) OS 6 on boththe 9800 and the 9700, it looked to me like the 9700 implementation was a LOT smoother and faster. Is the touch screen slowing it all down I ask myself?

I guess that it really is down to personal preference.

I'd consider a touch screen but only if there was a real keyboard as well.
    08-23-10 08:40 AM
    Or you can get a Torch 9800 and have the best of both worlds!
    08-23-10 08:50 AM
    Personally I could never rely on a touchscreen only device, QWERTY is the way to go but as others have said touchscreen serves its purpose.
    08-23-10 08:53 AM
    If only you could plug in a physical keyboard into a touchscreen-only blackberry/android/wm/webOS device...

08-23-10 09:01 AM
    I think there is a huge segment of the population that prefers touchscreen. It is a wave that has not fully crested and is unlikely to be stopped.
    ATMs, train trickets, appointment schedulers at government offices all use touchscrens. Although they are unlikely to replace keyboard inputs because of disability and accessibility regulations I don't see them going anywhere soon. Nor should they, really, they do offer a higher ease of use for *some* people.
    I prefer the combination of the two. Which is the reason I love my Torch and the Siemens SX66 I had before.
    I truly hope RIM doesn't do away with the Torch line. I L-O-V-E mine!!!

08-23-10 09:10 AM
    Ive had several different touchscreen phones and liked them. After having a qwerty BB its nice to have the shortcuts and physical buttons.
    08-23-10 09:33 AM
    4.I can type easily while in a moving vehicle.
    Hopefully, you're not driving this moving vehicle.

Otherwise I'd agree with you.

08-23-10 10:06 AM
    Hopefully, you're not driving this moving vehicle.

Otherwise I'd agree with you.

Lol, not while driving of course.

I just think qwerty is viewed as the old way of doing things but most people don't know how perfected and efficient it is in a blackberry.

I thought about it and I'd have to say no to a qwerty/touch screen combination unless in a device like the Torch simply because I like to grab my phone my the screen if I know the keypad isn't locked, when I had my Storm 2 I hated having to carry it in the palm of my hand. That way it's so easy to press the convenience keys, be honest, how many of you have done the embarrassing " SAY A COMAND" and get weird looks if you're in a quiet place lol.

08-23-10 10:49 AM
    Love the keyboard but would really love a larger screen....... torch anyone? Older eyes need more real estate! Well not for me cause it's not CDMA and not on my carrier otherwise I'd be checking one out.
    08-23-10 10:58 AM
    Love the keyboard but would really love a larger screen....... torch anyone? Older eyes need more real estate! Well not for me cause it's not CDMA and not on my carrier otherwise I'd be checking one out.
    I went into an AT&T store and asked them if they had the Torch. They didn't have one on display so they opened up a brand new one just so I could play with it. I told them I was on Verizon after they had taken it out and turned it on The rep didn't seem to mind though. We got to talking about BBs and how bad the Tour's trackball can be sometimes since he had a Tour too, and how the startup time on the Torch is so quick. Let me tell you, it is nice! Really wish it was available for Verizon right now.
    08-23-10 11:36 AM
    If only you could plug in a physical keyboard into a touchscreen-only blackberry/android/wm/webOS device...

Your wish is granted
    http://shop.crackberry.com/freedom-p...medium=content

I would like the next storm just for fun as a backup to my 9700. Couldn't stand to not a have QWERTY device though.
    08-23-10 11:50 AM
    Just from my experience, I find the touchscreen to be wonderful for retrieving and viewing information, properly executed it is very natural and intuitive. A touchscreen is not that great for inputting information, thats where the QWERTY comes in.
    08-23-10 12:38 PM
    My wife recently switched from a Curve to the iPhone 4. The text messages I get from her are comical because they are so jumbled with words that don't exist. Qwerty can not be duplicated on a touchscreen, it can only be poorly mimicked.
    08-23-10 02:17 PM
    My wife recently switched from a Curve to the iPhone 4. The text messages I get from her are comical because they are so jumbled with words that don't exist. Qwerty can not be duplicated on a touchscreen, it can only be poorly mimicked.
    Lol, I get the same from a friend that has just changed froma a Nokia E71 to a HTC wildfire.

08-23-10 02:37 PM
    Two weeks ago I went from an 9530 to a 9700, and although the keys are initially smaller than the virtual keyboard, I find the qwerty shortcuts make everything much faster. The majority of my work day is answering calls, texts and emails, all of which I'm finding much quicker to do on my 9700
    08-23-10 02:53 PM
    Storm2 owner now, previously had an 8130. Love the keyboard shortcuts, but with the SureType keyboard on the Pearl I never had the full use of shortcuts; most worker but not all. The ones I miss are navigating to top/bottom in messages and the browser. Everything else: the S2 has some functions built in that makes it just as easy to use, IMO. And with QuickLaunch I have any functions available in 2 clicks.
    08-23-10 03:14 PM
    The physical feedback of a QWERTY keyboard, Predictive Text, AutoText for your commonly used words (like AutoText, QWERTY , Predictive Text, BlackBerry, etc) it is hard to beat the BlackBerry for typing. The QWERTY keyboard has give. It can be handled with one hand, and it can be typed by feel, without having to look at the screen or an audible sound to know you're making progress.

Often, I write a couple hundred messages in a day. It would be a task to do this without the BlackBerry advantage.

08-23-10 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD