1. T
    I have Sprint Simply Everything, and my contract is almost up. I was checking out the Boost web site, specifically the BlackBerry unlimited plan with "shrinkage." Would switching to that be a downgrade for me as far as features, service, and reliability are concerned? If so, why? From what the site says, that plan seems equivalent to Simply Everything but for a lot less money ...

The other thing I'm wondering is can I bring my own world BlackBerry and activate it on Boost, or does it have to be a phone purchased from Boost? Ideally, I would like to obtain a Bold with world capability wherever I can find one that I like cheapest.
    06-08-11 06:58 PM
    Hi Tonis, I have been running with Boost for over a year. I have not had a single issue yet (knock on wood). There aren't any restrictions as far as I know. I do know that boost runs CDMA Rev 0 instead of Rev A like the mother ships cutomers with Sprint. From what I have read it is a tad slower data wise. I get my Email,Sms and Mms instantly, so it must translate to a little slower download-upload speed and web load-refresh rates.

The bummer is you usually need a Boost branded BB. But I have read of people activating their Sprint BB's also. It must depend on who you know. If I can help with more info let me know.

Oh yeah, and I am on the shrinkage plan. 4 more on time pays and I'll be 5own to 50 bucks a month. You can't complain at that price. Unfortunately I'm drooling over the 9930 hopefully soon to be out and I will have to go elsewhere.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-11 10:38 PM
  3. T
    Hi Tonis, I have been running with Boost for over a year. I have not had a single issue yet (knock on wood). There aren't any restrictions as far as I know. I do know that boost runs CDMA Rev 0 instead of Rev A like the mother ships cutomers with Sprint. From what I have read it is a tad slower data wise. I get my Email,Sms and Mms instantly, so it must translate to a little slower download-upload speed and web load-refresh rates.

The bummer is you usually need a Boost branded BB. But I have read of people activating their Sprint BB's also. It must depend on who you know. If I can help with more info let me know.

Oh yeah, and I am on the shrinkage plan. 4 more on time pays and I'll be 5own to 50 bucks a month. You can't complain at that price. Unfortunately I'm drooling over the 9930 hopefully soon to be out and I will have to go elsewhere.

Great info, albee 1! It's exactly what I wanted to know. I never even considered prepaid, but the price seems right, and the shrinkage is a no-brainer. I'm seriously considering going with Boost, provided calls aren't limited and I can find some way to activate a Bold world phone. Thanks, as always, for your help!

06-08-11 10:57 PM
    Always a pleasure T! -)

06-08-11 11:18 PM
    Would switching to that be a downgrade for me as far as features, service, and reliability are concerned?
    No, depends, no

Feature-wise, you get all the BBM/Maps/etc so long as you use the Boost-branded 8530.

Boost only has Sprint's native coverage with no roaming. Not a problem for me--I rarely if ever leave the city and if I do it's along the main roads.

I've had no issues in a year with them, just small inconveniences like having to have voicemail reset after it got nuked by an update on their end. And they doubled-charged my card once but promptly refunded it. Yeah, prepaid refund!

I do know that boost runs CDMA Rev 0 instead of Rev A like the mother ships cutomers with Sprint.

If the device is Rev-A capable, you get the full speed EVDO data

The top Sprint BB you can activate is the 9630 Tour. The downside with that is you don't get the BIS features (BBM, push mail, all those), but the upside is it's on the normal $50 plan. There is a certain way you have to do it, however, so it's not just calling in and saying "I want a BlackBerry on the $50 plan"

Shrinkage is nice and absolutely unheard of in prepaid. Using CallingMart gets you another 3% off monthly and there's no sales tax. $43.21 total for me (though I'll be going to PayGo next week...I don't need unlimited everything at the moment...losing my 7 months of Shrinkage but deciding what to do next).

Great info, albee 1! It's exactly what I wanted to know. I never even considered prepaid, but the price seems right, and the shrinkage is a no-brainer. I'm seriously considering going with Boost, provided calls aren't limited and I can find some way to activate a Bold world phone. Thanks, as always, for your help!
    Now here's the problem...the Tour is the only Bold-line BB you can get. If the 9650 was doable, I'd stay with Boost.

If you decide to go for the Tour, you'll need to run OS4.7 and run custom service books to get internet and MMS messages, otherwise every battery pull will require a reload of the books with OS5. Not a huge deal on the service books, but the older OS is really becoming a drag since no one is developing stuff for it anymore. Plenty of apps available, but support is dwindling by the day (and why wouldn't it?).

But yeah...everything on Boost is unlimited. 5GB of data is totally doable so long as you don't tether excessively. What I'm kicking around is getting TMO To Go's $30 plan and a used 9700 and consider the $10 BIS addon (maybe...) and getting a Touch Pro 2 for Boost with a dummy number. Use both phone's WiFi as much as possible, but purchase the 35 cents/day unlimited data on Boost when needed. That's $10.50/mo MAX for unlimited EVDO Rev-A data. Plus, TMO refills are 4-10% off at CallingMart. Just that the TP2 is getting older and the cost and hassle of 2 devices would be a pain...

So...BYOD is out unless you don't mind a Tour on OS4.7 without BIS. And if you don't, let me know...my Tour isn't pretty but it's not trashed, and it's the best-functioning Tour you'll come across, guaranteed

Hope that wasn't too much info at once
    06-09-11 08:12 PM
    No one minds long winded posts as long as they are full of accurate info. Good read Thuoudo.

06-09-11 08:25 PM
    You may want to also consider Virgin Mobile's BIS plans as well. It is basically "a twin" of Boost, as it is also a Sprint subsidiary, but with a few, key differences.

First, Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's faster and more reliable PCS network while Boost Mobile uses the older Nextel/iDen network.

Secondly, Virgin Mobile has three (3) different monthly plans:

-$35 - 300 minutes/unlimited text and data
    -$50 - 1200 minutes/unlimited text and data
    -$70 - Unlimited everything

06-09-11 08:37 PM
  8. T
    Thanks for the detailed info, Thuoudo! The 4.7 os wouldn't be a problem for me -- I'm running 4.5 on my curve, lol -- but BIS is a must. I gotta have it. Also, the only thing I would replace my curve with would be a world phone (not sure if the Tour has that cdma/sim card feature). But I like your tmobile idea, too. I'll look into what's available there next time I pass one of the stores or kiosks at the mall (which should be soon). Again, appreciate all your input!

06-09-11 08:38 PM
  9. T
    Another one I hadn't considered -- Virgin Mobile. Also, I wasn't aware of the iden network part of Boost. Thanks, BBFXPro777!

Last edited by Tnis; 06-09-11 at 08:52 PM.
    06-09-11 08:40 PM
    Boost uses the iden network for everything BUT Blackberries except the 8350i as in iden. Mine is an 8330 using the CDMA network. I do not have PTT!

06-09-11 09:07 PM
    No one minds long winded posts as long as they are full of accurate info. Good read Thuoudo.

Haha, thanks for sticking in there...it's quite a complicated deal just to get the 9630 on Boost. Actually, it's easier to do than to describe

You may want to also consider Virgin Mobile's BIS plans as well. It is basically "a twin" of Boost, as it is also a Sprint subsidiary, but with a few, key differences.

First, Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's faster and more reliable PCS network while Boost Mobile uses the older Nextel/iDen network.

Secondly, Virgin Mobile has three (3) different monthly plans:

-$35 - 300 minutes/unlimited text and data
    -$50 - 1200 minutes/unlimited text and data
    -$70 - Unlimited everything

Virgin uses the same BIS server and CDMA network as Boost. The only reason to go for the $50 Virgin plan, IMO, is if you switch around a lot...ie, you use the 300 minute plan one month, then your usage goes up then down again.

Virgin's topups are like 1% off at CM while Boost's are 3%. Every little bit helps
    Thanks for the detailed info, Thuoudo! The 4.7 os wouldn't be a problem for me -- I'm running 4.5 on my curve, lol -- but BIS is a must. I gotta have it. Also, the only thing I would replace my curve with would be a world phone (not sure if the Tour has that cdma/sim card feature). But I like your tmobile idea, too. I'll look into what's available there next time I pass one of the stores or kiosks at the mall (which should be soon). Again, appreciate all your input!

No problem

Yep, the Tour is a world phone.

The only knock against TMO prepaid is lack of data. It would be perfect if their $30 plan (1500 shared texts/minutes) also had a $10 add-on for a nice chunk of data I'd have switched already but I can't reconcile exactly how to use WiFi as much as possible when out and about, considering only Starbuck's and Barnes & Noble have pink Hot Spots...like...do you stand there and try to connect to Best Buy's WiFi to cross-check the price of a CD on Amazon.com?

Oh, and I'm not even worrying about the AT&T merger. That's probably 8-12 months away, and we're on prepaid--Boost's Shrinkage didn't exist until October of last year! We can go where we want without ETFs and activation fees.
    06-09-11 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD