ok so i have an 8900. right now i have the phone setted up for my gmail account. now, ever since i got the gmail account setted up, it gave me a new icon on my home page (the one with the envelope and globe on it). however, everytime i get a new email it will give me an alert on both my messages icon and my email icon. i would want this to be seperate. is there anyway i can set it up where i cant see my emails in the messages section, and just my email section??

also, i just downloaded the gmail app as well. however, what i dont like about it, is that it doesnt show new emails right away. i would always have to refresh it to view my new emails. is there anyway where it can refresh by itself or whatever?
    04-19-09 02:41 PM
    if you get a new message asterisk in both your messages and your gmail envelope, then you are good to go. the message folder is a catch all folder and will display all of your messages including sms/mms/email/pin. what a lot of people do including myself is hide the message icon or put the icon in a folder so its out of sight and out of mind.
    04-19-09 03:11 PM
    I would like to see if there is an answer For the 2nd question. Its not really a big deal for me because eventually they will come through

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 03:12 PM
    you can also create a new folder for sms/mms by going to your message icon and hitting menu>options>general and changing sms and email inboxes: seperate. at least that is the way to do it on a curve.. it is probably similar on the 8900.
    04-19-09 03:14 PM
    so you have the gmail app and your gmail setup through your BIS account? or are they two different addys?
    04-19-09 03:15 PM
    the gmail app(IMAP) is different than gmail through your BIS(POP). i think, someone will correct me if im wrong, that is one of the downfalls of IMAP. they arent pushed to your device, but they are synced better between your phone and desktop.
    04-19-09 03:25 PM
    I ran into your problem when I first got my Curve. After a little playing around, I've hidden my catch-all messages folder and opted instead to have my separate e-mail accounts and my SMS/MMS folders visible, so that I know when I have an e-mail versus an SMS or MMS, which is what kwmksavage suggests. It made my life a lot easier.
    04-19-09 03:30 PM
    you can also create a new folder for sms/mms by going to your message icon and hitting menu>options>general and changing sms and email inboxes: seperate. at least that is the way to do it on a curve.. it is probably similar on the 8900.
    ok nice thank you! that helped.

and yeah im also trying out the gmail app. because i like seeing all of the emails i have in the inbox, and also the interface is much cleaner on the gmail app. however, it doesnt give my emails right away, anyone know a way to correct this?
    04-19-09 03:45 PM
    i dont know of a way, but i dont use the gmail app. i have seen threads on the subject, just do an advanced search with the keyword "IMAP" and and point it at this forum(general discussion).
    04-19-09 03:50 PM
    i just searched, and i guess many people been having the same problem with the gmail app. theres no way around it. the gmail app checks your email every 5 min if the app is already up, and 20 min if its inactive. im going to do more testing and see how it goes, cuz i dont mind waiting 5 min, so i can view all my emails, labels, etc.
    04-19-09 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD