Thinking of getting a 9900, my first Blackberry phone. I was wondering a couple of things about Blackberry's. First of all, I have heard that the network Blackberry's run on compresses the data making it cheaper to use because you end up using less than the equivalent smartphone would. Is this true? Does anyone notice this compared to other phones they've used. Also, what do you think of the 9900? Would it be better to wait for the new ones to come out? Thanks.
    02-15-12 02:57 PM
    Here is something Michelle did on the 'data use' subject, last summer. I would think that for the most part the information is still accurate today.
    http://crackberry.com/increased-data...-vs-blackberry

The 9900 is an excellent phone but like any, try it and be sure it meets your personal requirements. The BB10 phones will in all likelihood be far superior though. The choice is yours.
    02-15-12 03:02 PM
    Thinking of getting a 9900, my first Blackberry phone. I was wondering a couple of things about Blackberry's. First of all, I have heard that the network Blackberry's run on compresses the data making it cheaper to use because you end up using less than the equivalent smartphone would. Is this true? Does anyone notice this compared to other phones they've used. Also, what do you think of the 9900? Would it be better to wait for the new ones to come out? Thanks.
    its not necessarily "cheaper".
    the only way that it would be cheaper is if you pay per MB for your data usage.
    the benefit of the data compression is that you will get to use more of it, than you would normally with other smarthphones.

the 9900 is great! the keyboard on it is the best.
    but you should check it out yourself.
    "to each his own"

if you would rather prefer a physical keyboard on your device then you might as well get your 9900 now. the ONLY bb10 device that is going to be released (hopefully) this year is going to have a full touchscreen. besides considering RIMs track record the os might be buggy when its first released
    Last edited by phoreoneone; 02-15-12 at 03:26 PM.
    02-15-12 03:06 PM
    ^
    When compared to the data use of the competition, assuming same downloading habits on all devices, the BB uses less data.
    A 1GB plan on a BB may end up netting you the same as a 3GB plan on another phone, for same amount of information/data downloaded.
    Which phone voice/data plan costs less per month? 1GB or 3GB
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-15-12 at 03:20 PM. Reason: poor gr.
    02-15-12 03:18 PM
    There are 3 rumors related to the 9900
    - new S4 SoC with LTE
    - improved JM-1 battery
    - new OS 7 version with a huge boost to battery life

MWC is the last week of February, and this might be a good announcement for then
    02-15-12 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD