- I understand that you have to update the desktop manager first then you install the platform update. The way they described it they made it sound like you install the platform update for the Blackberry to your PC. Is that correct?

- Does anyone find the platform updates have noticable improvments? I decided not to download it when they asked for my life story before downloading.
    12-12-08 06:42 PM
    - I understand that you have to update the desktop manager first then you install the platform update. The way they described it they made it sound like you install the platform update for the Blackberry to your PC. Is that correct?

- Does anyone find the platform updates have noticable improvments? I decided not to download it when they asked for my life story before downloading.
    Any recent version of the Desktop Manager program will suffice for installing OS upgrades. It doesn't have to be any particular version. I've used 4.3 and 4.5 and am presently using 4.6. The current DM version as of this writing is 4.7. After you download the OS file, you double-click the downloaded exe to install the OS as an application on your PC.

OS 4.5 is a very large improvement over OS 4.2. It is an improvement over 4.3 as well. Verizon only asks for a valid Verizon BlackBerry phone number. I don't know what other carriers may request. Generally, you want to be running the latest officially released OS for yoru device.
    12-12-08 11:49 PM
    After I install the OS to my PC do I then have to use DM to move it to the phone it self?

Any recent version of the Desktop Manager program will suffice for installing OS upgrades. It doesn't have to be any particular version. I've used 4.3 and 4.5 and am presently using 4.6. The current DM version as of this writing is 4.7. After you download the OS file, you double-click the downloaded exe to install the OS as an application on your PC.

OS 4.5 is a very large improvement over OS 4.2. It is an improvement over 4.3 as well. Verizon only asks for a valid Verizon BlackBerry phone number. I don't know what other carriers may request. Generally, you want to be running the latest officially released OS for yoru device.
    12-13-08 09:56 AM
    Yes.

Upgrading the device OS requires both BlackBerry Desktop Software and the correct model device software be installed.

Your BlackBerry will be rebuilt using the installed OS support files.
    12-13-08 10:08 AM
    After I install the OS to my PC do I then have to use DM to move it to the phone it self?
    Yes. I recommend you use CrackMem to automate the process. Search for CrackMem Pete6 and you'll find it. It's also linked in my non-wap signature.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-08 10:10 AM
    For the most part the updates are definitly advisable to do. RIM releases the upgrades for a reason and even though it involves a few steps in the process its worth it.
    12-13-08 10:33 AM
    Do I have to use the application loader to install the OS update or once I plug the Blackberry into my computer will it realize it needs to update?
    12-13-08 11:21 AM
    Do I have to use the application loader to install the OS update or once I plug the Blackberry into my computer will it realize it needs to update?
    While we're always happy to answer questions, it's a waste of your time and very error-prone to try to talk you through an OS upgrade, one question at a time. There are procedures you can follow that will make the whole process go a lot faster. Look for Reed's CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure. Or just use CrackMem, which automates a lot of the steps in the MOP. I think you'll find it a lot easier that way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-08 11:53 AM
    Memory Optimization Procedure (MOP)

This one Jeff?

they asked for my life story before downloading. ...
    LOL, All are required fields. The ones in languages other then English are fun too...

It is their propriety software and they want my contact information. Fair enough.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-13-08 at 12:34 PM.
    12-13-08 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD