I'll check out these links when I get to my laptop, thank you for posting them.

When I say rep, I mean a rep direct from the manufacturer. I was at a T-Mobile training meeting and there was a rep there from Samsung, one from Motorola, and one from HTC. It wasn't some sales rep at a store. I wouldn't take a carrier rep's word like I would a representative from the company.

I'll post again after reading these links, thanks again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-11 03:29 PM
    Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

FAQ: Why You Shouldn�t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

Task Killer -- Do I need one? - Android Forums

And dont believe the uneducated person that works for VZW and ATK onto your phone with your permission either. When the people that wrote the OS told you not to run a task killer i think they know what they are talking about
    Thanks for posting these! I was just reading about Task Killers and would have probably installed one.

01-18-11 03:36 PM
    Thanks for posting these! I was just reading about Task Killers and would have probably installed one.

i think its the number 2 myth of android...battery life being horrible is the first
    01-18-11 03:38 PM
    You can challenge the credibility of my information, but when a guy comes up to me complaining of the battery life on his EVO, and I tell him to give a task killer a try, and he comes back to me two weeks later happier than he could ever be because his battery life is now tolerable, that says all it needs to.

They may be bad for the performance of the phone, but I don't understand why its acceptable for an operating system to keep services running after a program is closed out. I'm just saying.
    Youre wrong. Just stop. Do some research and look at the type of batteries HTC puts in those large phones. Evo is a crutch you people are using, since it has a battery roughly comparable to a blackberry curve. Keep trying, though. I charge every night anyways so as long as a device can go ~15h I can care less what king of uptime it or any other device has...

Task killers are bad and actually help drain your battery even faster. Bad Alps are bad. The brain exists so u can figure out which ones are terrible and uninstall.

Also its not hard to avoid Apps that run as services. Its not hard to see which ones those are.

Task killers are useful. Auyo- killers that run in the bg killing apparently are terrible and that's been common knowledge ancestors forever. Google even made this impossible in later android revisions (third party apparently not able to shut down other apartment). A built in task manager similar to windows mobile's is provided on galaxy s and froyo+.

Last edited by N8ter; 01-18-11 at 04:28 PM.
    01-18-11 04:21 PM
    Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

FAQ: Why You Shouldn�t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

Task Killer -- Do I need one? - Android Forums

And dont believe the uneducated person that works for VZW and ATK onto your phone with your permission either. When the people that wrote the OS told you not to run a task killer i think they know what they are talking about
    After reading these articles I see where you are coming from regarding the task killer not doing what it should be, and being mostly unnecessary for the device. I see where my error was, and I'm not too prideful to admit where I was incorrect. I appreciate you being respectful and not jumping down my throat as some others may have done.

I always learn something new on CB.

Youre wrong. Just story. Do some research and look at the type of batteries HTC puts in those large phones. Evo is a crutch you people are using, since it has a battery roughly comparable to a blackberry curve. Keep trying, though. I charge every night anyways so as long as a device can go ~15h I can care less what king of uptime it or any other device has...

Task killers are bad and actually help drain your battery even faster. Bad Alps are bad. The brain exists so u can figure out which ones are terrible and uninstall.

Also its not hard to avoid Apps that run as services. Its not hard to see which ones those are.

I like how you qualify me as "you people" meaning a fanboy (as I would understand). I assure you, I'm far from a fanboy, and I mentioned the EVO because in the situation I was talking about, the gentleman had an EVO. I wasn't bringing it up because it's some sort of crutch as you call it, it was a part of the situation I was referring to.

Bottom line, if you don't like your BB, go buy something that you do like.
    01-18-11 04:33 PM
    I read threads like this, and it makes me appreciate my BB more and more. No need to worry about ATK.
    01-18-11 05:18 PM
    Android is just a different animal and most people are used to bad habits is all. Everyone who is new to android seems to make this mistake so you arent the first nor the last. but normally once you read one article from above the light bulb goes on and they get it.
    01-18-11 05:23 PM
    I just checked this, and it works. That's a nice tip.

What do I long press to get a period without having to press two buttons. the period is probably the most used punctuation mark in the English language. Why was RIM dumb enough to make it a Shift-Character?

This keyboard layout looks totally illogical compared to the Samsung Jack in my drawer. I could easily type twice as fast on that simply due to it having a more logical layout, even though the keyboard on that device was much more cramped.

If the Period wasn't in such an odd place I would hardly need to long press letters to capitalize since the phone automatically capitalizes the first letter of a sentence, anyways. All I'd have to do it period-space-keep typing and only worry about capitalizing proper nouns, etc.
    Spacebar twice gives you a period.
    There was nothing dumb about it since Grammatically after each period you do put 2 spaces.

The rest of your complaints about the Period and capitalization is covered if you use double space after a period.

I suggest you check out Blackberry 101
    01-18-11 05:33 PM

What do I long press to get a period without having to press two buttons. the period is probably the most used punctuation mark in the English language. Why was RIM dumb enough to make it a Shift-Character?

This keyboard layout looks totally illogical compared to the Samsung Jack in my drawer. I could easily type twice as fast on that simply due to it having a more logical layout, even though the keyboard on that device was much more cramped.

If the Period wasn't in such an odd place I would hardly need to long press letters to capitalize since the phone automatically capitalizes the first letter of a sentence, anyways. All I'd have to do it period-space-keep typing and only worry about capitalizing proper nouns, etc.

Nope. Beautiful Widgets is one of the top Apps on the market and it's a Clock/Weather Widget (and toggle widgets) that does that. It supports skinning and can be made to look almost identical to the HTC Sense Widget, and when you click on the weather it brings up a full screen animation with the current weather and the forecast.

It's one of the only 2 apps I feel is worth purchasing off the Android market (IMO).

1. The HTC Sense or Beautiful Widget doesn't eat battery. Lol. I bet you cannot even come up with any proof of that other than your assumed common sense.

2. Blackberries aren't known for great battery life. They're known for Push Services and Secure Enterprise Email.

Blackberry battery life being good is a component of underpowered internals being paired with smartphone-level batteries. The QWERTY blackberries aren't that much more advanced than features phones (which can run some of the same java apps unmodified, just as Windows Mobile phones can in some cases). It's RIM's services that sells them.

Yes, when you put a small low res screen, slow processor/gpu on a device with a 1500 mAh battery, you get great battery life.

Nokia phones are also known for their great battery life (eSeries in particular), and guess what, they use the same form factor as the blackberryes (small underpowered QWERTY phones with big batteries). Torch Battery Life isn't comparable to Bolds, for example.

However, the PIM apps on the blackberry are terrible. The email client is quite terrible. On the flip side, email delivery is fast and reliable. Navigation is clunky at best and filled with time-wasters. OS performance isn't good. The Options menu is a mess and somethign as trivial as setting ringtones is turned into a monumental undertaking. I did that last night on my Vibrant and it took like 10 minutes. It was at least twice as long on the blackberry. There are also options with obscure names, but really no easy way to find out what it all means.

I don't even want to start on the lack fo Application Memory in the devices...

I just got my new BB in, and It's going back to T-mobile tomorrow. I don't see any use for the devices. I'll gimp along on my Galaxy S and hope the update situation gets solved sooner rather than later.

I left my Android phone home and took just the blackberry just to see how well it would function as a daily driver, and I'm about ready to throw it in the toilet and **** on it. It feels like a complete and utter feature phone compared to the Palm/WP7/Android/iOS devices out there. Waste of a data plan.

A feature phone with a bad menu system, to boot.
    Wow, lol! That's all I have...wow! Twice for good measure....wow! Sorry, had to add one more...

Holy ****!!! To top it off...

Thanks for the laughs!

01-18-11 05:41 PM

3.) Poor multitasking: I actually don't know how the newer iPhones are, but I remember the older ones didn't do multitasking well either. However my brother's Android has a beautiful graphical representation of al the apps currently open by sliding it into the screen. Palm Pre has the fantastic deck-of-cards multitasking thing. I know you hold the blackberry button and the apps currently open will show up, but it's counterintuitive and easy to forget how many apps are open.

4.) Calender: On my old Palm Centro you could specify a different colour for each category of event you put in. Exams can be red, vacation times were light blue, and classtime can be orange, and if I'm on-call (I'm a resident physician) it is purple, etc. I'm used to my colours. All events on BB's calender are grey and it saddens me.

5.) Keyboard: I miss the gel keyboard on my Centro, but the BB Torch keyboard is not too bad either. I don't like how you have to press two buttons to put caps lock on though.

"Poor Multi tasking, should be Poor representation of Multi tasking, the BBOS 6 on your Torch has excellent multitasking and memory management, it is just not very fancy at showing you what is running, I personally like how RIM does it, more than I did with WinMo way back when.

I couldn't agree more about the Calendar! I still miss my old Windows CE calendar compared to my Blackberry Native Calendar, the colours are soo important, I hate that I must use multiple email addresses to have multiple colours.

I LOVE RIM's Keyboard, you should take some time to read the Blackberry 101 pages, you'll learn about keyboard short cuts, and AutoText (it's be renamed and it's name eludes me) AutoText is something you'll learn to love

Welcome to the Blackberry World!! I'm sure you'll enjoy it
    01-18-11 05:48 PM
    1.) Lack of decent weather app: First of all, both Android and iPhone have built-in weather applications that are very pretty, easy to scroll through, and allow you to browse multiple cities at once. I believe on the iPhone one you can even see what time it is in each city. Why does BBOS only come with a cheapo link to Weather.com? I downloaded the Beweather app and it is close to what I want in a weather app, but I had to pay $10 for it, and it is sadly STILL not as good as the ones that came for free on iPhone and Android. On my brother's Android phone the weather app has animated rain and cloude effects, and it is part of the main screen that you can scroll directly into. On BeWeather you can put the weather as your wallpaper but the rest of it is black and ugly and you cannot get the "day/night" effect into the background. I am very disappointed and could not beleive that this was not part of the package.
    I beleive myself being a beta tester for Bellshare the company and number 1 developer award on CB last year that if you go to Bellshare - Premium BlackBerry Apps or even read the tuturial in Beweather and especially since you said you bought the full version you will find that where you speak of placing the icon on the homescreen but the background is black... You can choose an image from your photos from your SD card that will allow you to customize it beyond the black background.
    If you need any help with Beweather PM me and I will be glad to show you anything you can do wit the program to make you happier with it. It is a great program if you know how to use it beleive me.

Hope you get use to most of your gripes and welcome to the forum and the world of BB.
    01-18-11 05:52 PM
    To be fair, this is just an HTC Sense widget, which is not on all Android phones. I'm pretty sure you can also customize it to turn the animations off or display weather in a different way. I have it displayed on my phone, & the animation just lasts a couple seconds when you wake the phone up & stops once you enter a different app. When I wake my phone up I typically don't stay on the home screen for very long since I have a task in mind.

Also, BeWeather is free now??? When I had my 9700 the full version was like, $10 .
    there is a free shortened version and the full version that is $9.95

Trust me you have the better version that as you know can do many things with it. The free version does not open up or allow you to half of what you can do with yours.
    01-18-11 05:55 PM
    To be fair, this is just an HTC Sense widget, which is not on all Android phones. I'm pretty sure you can also customize it to turn the animations off or display weather in a different way. I have it displayed on my phone, & the animation just lasts a couple seconds when you wake the phone up & stops once you enter a different app. When I wake my phone up I typically don't stay on the home screen for very long since I have a task in mind.

Also, BeWeather is free now??? When I had my 9700 the full version was like, $10 .

Fancy Widget and Beautiful Widgets also have the animation. When I went back to my SGS from the DZ I really missed Sense, particularly the weather animations. I was thrilled to get them back (although I miss the awesome windshield wiper...)

I was looking for some paperwork today and had to open up my Pre box, so OP - I love that phone. So much. I actually sat here for about 15 minutes just holding the phone. The Palm Pre is one of the most beautiful feeling phones I have ever seen. It's so organic, you can't help just touching it. I love that phone...
    Last edited by reeneebob; 01-18-11 at 10:22 PM.
    01-18-11 10:20 PM
    lmao....dude its a phone....not a boob
    ThaGeNeCySt likes this.
    01-18-11 10:30 PM
    I always thought the calender was really good with blackberries.
    01-18-11 11:59 PM
    I don't think the task killer is "bad". But the way that the masses use it
    If you use task killer to monitor and kill the app thats actually abuseing resourches then its great. Ome its not tje task killer that's bad its the numb skulls using it.

01-19-11 01:16 AM
    I always thought the calender was really good with blackberries.
    Its not bad, I find the one on android pretty good too and they have tons of great widgets to choose from that make it much easier to manage your day
    01-19-11 04:23 AM

Nope. Beautiful Widgets is one of the top Apps on the market and it's a Clock/Weather Widget (and toggle widgets) that does that. It supports skinning and can be made to look almost identical to the HTC Sense Widget, and when you click on the weather it brings up a full screen animation with the current weather and the forecast.

It's one of the only 2 apps I feel is worth purchasing off the Android market (IMO).

1. The HTC Sense or Beautiful Widget doesn't eat battery. Lol. I bet you cannot even come up with any proof of that other than your assumed common sense.

2. Blackberries aren't known for great battery life. They're known for Push Services and Secure Enterprise Email.

Blackberry battery life being good is a component of underpowered internals being paired with smartphone-level batteries. The QWERTY blackberries aren't that much more advanced than features phones (which can run some of the same java apps unmodified, just as Windows Mobile phones can in some cases). It's RIM's services that sells them.

Yes, when you put a small low res screen, slow processor/gpu on a device with a 1500 mAh battery, you get great battery life.

Nokia phones are also known for their great battery life (eSeries in particular), and guess what, they use the same form factor as the blackberryes (small underpowered QWERTY phones with big batteries). Torch Battery Life isn't comparable to Bolds, for example.

However, the PIM apps on the blackberry are terrible. The email client is quite terrible. On the flip side, email delivery is fast and reliable. Navigation is clunky at best and filled with time-wasters. OS performance isn't good. The Options menu is a mess and somethign as trivial as setting ringtones is turned into a monumental undertaking. I did that last night on my Vibrant and it took like 10 minutes. It was at least twice as long on the blackberry. There are also options with obscure names, but really no easy way to find out what it all means.

I don't even want to start on the lack fo Application Memory in the devices...

I just got my new BB in, and It's going back to T-mobile tomorrow. I don't see any use for the devices. I'll gimp along on my Galaxy S and hope the update situation gets solved sooner rather than later.

I left my Android phone home and took just the blackberry just to see how well it would function as a daily driver, and I'm about ready to throw it in the toilet and **** on it. It feels like a complete and utter feature phone compared to the Palm/WP7/Android/iOS devices out there. Waste of a data plan.

A feature phone with a bad menu system, to boot.
    HOLY CRAP! You just lost your right to have ANY opinion about blackberry. Those are very BASIC features blackberry has had for at least 7 years, my 7230 running OS 3.7 has them and I assume even older models did.

01-19-11 06:19 AM
    HOLY CRAP! You just lost your right to have ANY opinion about blackberry. Those are very BASIC features blackberry has had for at least 7 years, my 7230 running OS 3.7 has them and I assume even older models did.

What are you talking about?

What BASIC features are you talking about?

I didn't say Blackberry lacked ANY basic features. I'm commenting on how terrible the UI and the PIM apps are. Also navigating the clunky menu system.

And I'm also explaining where the faux-incredible battery life comes from.

I tend to consider ActiveSync a basic feature but BB's don't have that. You didn't see me complaining about it, either...

Again, what exactly are you talking about.

Did you even read my post? I don't think you did.
    01-19-11 08:31 AM

I didn't say Blackberry lacked ANY basic features. I'm commenting on how terrible the UI and the PIM apps are. Also navigating the clunky menu system.

I tend to consider ActiveSync a basic feature but BB's don't have that. You didn't see me complaining about it, either...

Was talking about the keyboard features, if you owned a blackberry and didn't know about them, I don't know man, to me it means you barely scratched the surface of blackberry functionality and to me your opinions mean nothing for now and I'll just ignore them, no offence. I bet you didn't realise your blackberry has a today theme that works like some of the widgets you talk about, sms, emails, callendar on your home screen, they're not "widgets" but serve the same purpose.

01-19-11 08:41 AM
    Was talking about the keyboard features, if you owned a blackberry and didn't know about them, I don't know man, to me it means you barely scratched the surface of blackberry functionality and to me your opinions mean nothing for now and I'll just ignore them, no offence. I bet you didn't realise your blackberry has a today theme that works like some of the widgets you talk about, sms, emails, callendar on your home screen, they're not "widgets" but serve the same purpose.

Yeah, and there are a lot of themes that put the weather icon from apps like BerryWeather in the corner on the homescreen. I used a ton of free custom made themes on my 8900, many were hidden today, so the recent 5 messages or calendar events show up when you scroll to the message or calendar icon on the tray. I miss the themes, the android has some but they're different.
    01-19-11 12:52 PM

My 9700 battery lasts three times longer than the vibrant but i bought the 3000 mah battery for the vibrant to fix that. It does seem you don't know what you're talking about as far as basic BB functionality goes.
    01-19-11 01:08 PM
    lmao....dude its a phone....not a boob
    To be fair, as a chick, if I want to feel a boob I have two. And they really aren't that great. In fact they get in the way a lot.

Just saying.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 01-19-11 at 02:51 PM.
    01-19-11 02:49 PM
    lol! oops
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-19-11 02:50 PM
    No worries, most people are shocked that I am so techie and have ovaries.
    01-19-11 02:51 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD