11-25-11 07:26 AM
38 12
tools
    I get the droid pull too. My wife calls my device obsession munchberry syndrome.
    Just when I think I am gonna go droid, I bail. My conclusion: The droid pros don't outweigh the cons.
    BB-messaging juggernaut/bedside mode/VVM/integrated email inbox/manual outlook sync, LED notification, ect....
    droid:hugh touch screen/free voice turn by turn google maps
    11-23-11 06:11 PM
    I just returned a Droid after one week of trying to settle down with it. I could not get used to the contortions necessary to tease a day of battery life out of it. And I couldn't come close to what I can do with the BB keyboard and auto-text. Those two things were decisive.

But I have to say that the fact that Android has several keyboards available as apps is a real plus. Does the 9860 have this? It should.

The pull of droid is just the usual wanting more without giving up anything. But it doesn't work that way. Yet.
    11-23-11 07:14 PM
    got a torch 9850 thur. screen had a band of white across the bottom the next day so today I went in to see about replacing it ( which they did no problem) while they were setting up the new phone I played around with a HTC and motorola droid ...I got to admit , the HTC was a very nice phone with a sharp screen (even had a slide out keyboard) .
    I have 30 days to decide if I'm keeping the berry torch ( coming from a 8330 curve I have had for 3 years ...been an awesome phone) just about swapped right then and there for that HTC....but I just couldn't bring myself to do it ...the bad part is , I think part of the reason is because I'm afraid I would feel like I just dis owned a family member or something , how stupid is that lol ?? my last berry has been the most dependable phone I have had so far , I'm hoping the torch proves to be at least 1/2 as good if I keep it.
    I can certainly see the droid movement , its something fairly new and cool, but so far the new RIM os seems to be well thought out as well. nothing worse than sitting on the fence
    I am sorry to say, you wont ever find a phone as great as the 8330, I've tried many BlackBerry's and have had my share of Windows based HTC's and the fit and feel of the 8330 in the hand was so amazing, the feed back from the keys, the scroll of the track ball, the colour options in OS4.X where perfect for reading and getting the content of messages and emails. Ya I love my Bold 9900, and I've liked other phones between, but that 8330 is what made me love BlackBerry, and when my work pulled it away and gave me a 9300 it was a very sad day,
    11-23-11 07:24 PM
    Oh, jingle bells, Android smells
    webOS go away
    iPhone Yuck and Windows Phones suck
    BlackBerry all the way, hey!
    Oh, jingle bells, Android smells
    webOS go away
    iPhone Yuck and Windows Phones suck
    BlackBerry all the way, hey!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-23-11 07:27 PM
    I am sorry to say, you wont ever find a phone as great as the 8330, I've tried many BlackBerry's and have had my share of Windows based HTC's and the fit and feel of the 8330 in the hand was so amazing, the feed back from the keys, the scroll of the track ball, the colour options in OS4.X where perfect for reading and getting the content of messages and emails. Ya I love my Bold 9900, and I've liked other phones between, but that 8330 is what made me love BlackBerry, and when my work pulled it away and gave me a 9300 it was a very sad day,
    Yes, yes... the 83xx series was fantastic all round. Cut my teeth with an 8320.

Still have 2 active 8330s today.
    11-23-11 07:32 PM
    Yes, yes... the 83xx series was fantastic all round. Cut my teeth with an 8320.

Still have 2 active 8330s today.
    I could maintain signal with my 8330 for the Entire highway 144 on Ontario, I have never had a phone be able to do that since, even when I carried my 9630 and 8330 together both on the same network the 8330 would maintain connectivity longer than the 9630

If they made a 8330 again Double my screen resolution but theme it to look like OS4 with the default colours, double my RAM, double that processor, and throw in a better battery, microUSB, but all those physical components like trackball, keyboard, button locations, battery door, and build quality and I'd pay $700 for it
    11-23-11 07:45 PM
    That pull you felt was from that hotdog you bought from a street vendor. Enjoy.

11-23-11 11:46 PM
    I could maintain signal with my 8330 for the Entire highway 144 on Ontario, I have never had a phone be able to do that since, even when I carried my 9630 and 8330 together both on the same network the 8330 would maintain connectivity longer than the 9630

If they made a 8330 again Double my screen resolution but theme it to look like OS4 with the default colours, double my RAM, double that processor, and throw in a better battery, microUSB, but all those physical components like trackball, keyboard, button locations, battery door, and build quality and I'd pay $700 for it
    Agreed. The Pearl was my first BB but the 8330 was the best. Still have my blacked out 8330 as my backup phone. That thing is indestructible, I swear to god.

Every once in a while I take it out and fire it up just to play. It still has its hybrid 4.5/5.0 OS on it. I couldn't daily drive it without frustration but it'll do in a pinch.

Now the Nexus... I can't wait to get my hands on the demo. The Raider is pretty nice too, I really like what HTC did with Sense 3.0

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 11-24-11 at 12:07 AM.
    11-24-11 12:04 AM
    I'm liking the Galaxy Note.
    Just feel like keeping it as an add-on gadget.
    Now only if it had Blackberry Bridge. I wouldn't need a separate data connection. BB for voice, e-mails, BBM and browsing on the go, and the Galaxy Note for the videos, relaxed browsing etc.
    Quoting myself, but I just happened to go to the store and check out the Galaxy Note.
    One word: HUGE.
    The thing is just too big. The scrolling is a bit laggy and there is definite jitter when you swipe from one picture to another and while zooming. The 9900 feels far crisper in scrolling and graphic handling.
    Video loading was a bit slow, although once it started the experience was great.
    And the browsing experience rocks too.
    Couldn't understand the lag. Apparently it has a 1.5Ghz dual core processor...just goes to show that specs are not whole story.
    Overall its a good device, but as a phone, one would look like a tool if one puts it to his/her ear. Might as well carry the Motorola Brick of the 80's.
    11-24-11 01:59 AM
    I just returned a Droid after one week of trying to settle down with it. I could not get used to the contortions necessary to tease a day of battery life out of it. And I couldn't come close to what I can do with the BB keyboard and auto-text. Those two things were decisive.

But I have to say that the fact that Android has several keyboards available as apps is a real plus. Does the 9860 have this? It should.

The pull of droid is just the usual wanting more without giving up anything. But it doesn't work that way. Yet.
    41% left... High moderate use. Stock ROM. Samsung Vibrant. Even keep GpS on now, with auto brightness on for the screen. Biggest change I made was uninstalling apps I barely used and setting a true black home screen background (helps for amoled screens).

Attachment 97516

I don't know why people keep complaining about battery life tbh. It's not hard to make it through a day. A day after that screen was taken I plugged my phone in at 33%. It was off the charger for 28+ hours.

I would never get an LTE or "you'll never get these speeds anyways" hspa+ device though. Those cell radios are disgusting for power drainage. No matter what platform you use. As long as my connection is fast enough to stream Netflix and hq YouTube videos without buffering, I can care less what the speed is.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    11-24-11 03:06 AM
    I don't know why people keep complaining about battery life tbh. It's not hard to make it through a day. A day after that screen was taken I plugged my phone in at 33%. It was off the charger for 28+ hours.

I would never get an LTE or "you'll never get these speeds anyways" hspa+ device though. Those cell radios are disgusting for power drainage. No matter what platform you use.
    Maybe that was the problem. I had an LG G2x "4G". The only way I could get a single day out of it was to keep it at 2G. I had no social feed apps polling, screen brightness low, wifi off when not in use, 30 second timeout, no media streaming etc. I got one good day but couldn't repeat that. Other days I was getting 10-12 hours, no more. That doesn't work for me.

If I could find a solid 3G only, running 2.3, I might try again. I agree that "4G" is a scam.
    11-24-11 06:06 AM
    Any phone can be prepped for business, but in terms of cost-effectiveness, Blackberry still wins hands down for me. It's ready out of the box for my business - no need to spend large amounts of extra money and time to have it prepped.

However, the new Androids equipped with 3LM's enterprise-ready features are also a viable option. While I do have to spend a bit of money to have it ready for my business, it would still be reasonable and would work out effectively.

iphones, on the other hand, are a different story. My network advisers can have it prepped, but it will cost a ton just to have it setup for my business - it's totally not worth it.
    11-24-11 03:56 PM
    Maybe that was the problem. I had an LG G2x "4G". The only way I could get a single day out of it was to keep it at 2G. I had no social feed apps polling, screen brightness low, wifi off when not in use, 30 second timeout, no media streaming etc. I got one good day but couldn't repeat that. Other days I was getting 10-12 hours, no more. That doesn't work for me.

If I could find a solid 3G only, running 2.3, I might try again. I agree that "4G" is a scam.
    Scam? how so? If you are an early adopter you deal with the good as well as the bad. I have a rooted Verizon Thunderbolt and the 4G connection blew my home internet out of the water. I ended up dropping the cable internet at home and now just use the phone as a hotspot in the house. LTE makes 3G feel like dialup, even when using it on the phone and not tethering. What is so difficult about charging your phone at some point during the day? I have chargers at home, in the car and at work. I'd rather throw the phone on the charger once and awhile rather than limit myself to older technology or turning off functionality. That's just me.
    11-25-11 07:26 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD