Not for nothing but all this talk about "it looks Grim for RIM" and all the nonesense about the failure of the Blackberry remind me so much of when Apple was about to die. I mean seriously, I've been a Mac guy since '85 and I (along with the rest of BMUG) had to endure so much crap up until '96 (Gil Ameilio, Oye Vey!). Apple is dying, It's over, stocks down $11.00 a share blah, blah, blah. '98 shut all the experts and the world up (can we say imac?). Say what you will, but history does not lie.

While I agree with most of the bloggers who feel that RIM seems to be standing still, while the world moves foward. I don't think it's over just yet. Seriously, why get into business if you're not willing to work a little. Anyone remembrer when Sony decided to make a game console? Most laughed, Nintendo is King, right? Then Microsoft threw its hat in the ring. Another cry of outrage. Ten years later and people seem to forget.

Seriously though, I agree that RIM should not rest on it's laurals and really grab the bull by the horns. Android and OS4 are great if you like them, but they're not for everyone. Some people like simplicity, elegance and reliability. BB is sometimes all that is needed. Personally, I never whatch movies on my phone. My 43 year-old eyes can't take that for to long. I use my BB as phone first, texting, IMing and email second and music third. There rest comes as needed. My wife has an iphone and it's nice, but I have no desire to own one. I really have no need for it. Love my Storm 2 (yeah I said it). It simply works for me (going on a year, no issues)

Happy New Years guys ,
    To the future of LTE (4G) and whatever come down the pike.
    Last edited by schlemer67; 01-01-11 at 07:42 PM.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-01-11 07:20 PM
    For real, I'm sick of people "giving up" on RIM just because they're not sacrificing battery life for the top of the line screen, or processor.
    01-01-11 07:32 PM
    Honestly, I never really pay any attention to the rumors or stats that oh so and so is going down etc. I am the same age as you are, and use my Bold 9650, that I love as well, the same way you do. Phone calls, tx/bbm, email & mp3. I have watched movies on my past bb, which was nice for the few I watched, but I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon unless a long road trip comes up, then I may consider it to keep occupied.
    I think RIM is gonna come out of left field and throw down some nice devices for 2011 with LTE. We shall see.
    And I also believe in choosing the device that best fits your needs, regardless if its a bb, droid, palm etc.
    Happy & Healthy New Year 2011

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 01-02-11 at 09:21 AM.
    01-01-11 07:37 PM
    Even if they don't hit 2011 out of the park, RIM isn't exactly going anywhere, they'll merely sell less devices relative to most everybody else, at least in the US market.

I suspect they'll always be around in some form, although if they slip too far behind with their technology, they could be around as a lower cost sort of device, with less prestige than they used to have.

Ultimately we'll all just have to wait and see. I would prefer to see them hit one out of the park this year but I guess I'm not holding my breath.

Interestingly, many of the same BB users who complain that Android OS isn't mature are salivating at the prospect of a QNX based OS, when it will be what, 4 or 5 revisions less mature than Android? It'll be interesting to see what sort of growing pains it has...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 01-01-11 at 07:57 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-01-11 07:52 PM
    Actually,apple was dying until steve"7inches to too big"jobs came to the rescue and singlehandedly turned apple around.

01-01-11 08:00 PM
    Schlemer, you read my mind.
    I'm a huge Apple fan. I currently own a Macbook and a Macbook Air, two ipods, Apple TV, etc.
    But when it comes to phones, Blackberry is the best I've found for me. I tried the iphone (wife has it now) and quickly went back to Blackberry.
    Can't wait for the PlayBook and Storm3 this year, although I'm enjoying the 9780 for a change (last phone was the Storm2).
    01-02-11 01:50 AM
    My Torch is great for videos. On Wifi its awesome quality (YouTube videos and other online streaming videos) and on 3G its meh but 85% of the time where I go I find a wifi connection and its all good. Not sure why people still say iPhones are the best for multimedia but the Torch is Just as great. I watch movies on it too. My new bb has everything from socializing to browsing to multimedia and plus beats the iPhones battery life. So why buy a device with less battery life just for multimedia when the Torch has it all. With my Torch in my hand I really could care less about what people say about blackberrys. Oh and if someone says iPhone has better video quality, pop out the Torch and show em a YouTube video and that should shut em up (but make sure your connected wifi first ) Just my 2 cents. Happy Holidays yall

Last edited by luqman24; 01-02-11 at 03:44 AM.
    01-02-11 03:38 AM
    Well said OP, well said!

People will always think the sky is falling....I know better. I also remember when the ps1 came out and how everyone said it would fail and they got laughed at...now look at them.

I have bought ever version, lol!

People just need to get what works for them and stop talking ish just to talk it. Sometimes negativity is warranted, but IMO not so much with phones. That is just IMO though.

Again, to each their own. I love my 9700! Best phone I have ever used.

01-02-11 11:22 AM
    I honestly don't think RIM is dead. Base on their earnings this year I think they've hit record high profit and record high devices shipped. They maybe lagging in the North American market, but they are making up from the International market.

The smartphone battle just began! With Palm and Mircrosoft - both PDA giants back in the days, completely revamped their OS to compete and seems to be paying off. RIM is no different. With the Blackberry Playbook, I am curious what the QNX OS can do on Blackberry's smartphones. RIM maybe the underdog in the consumer market of smartphones right now, but with QNX a year or two away, maybe RIM still have a chance.
    01-02-11 11:22 AM
    Not for nothing but all this talk about "it looks Grim for RIM" and all the nonesense about the failure of the Blackberry remind me so much of when Apple was about to die. I mean seriously, I've been a Mac guy since '85 and I (along with the rest of BMUG) had to endure so much crap up until '96 (Gil Ameilio, Oye Vey!). Apple is dying, It's over, stocks down $11.00 a share blah, blah, blah. '98 shut all the experts and the world up (can we say imac?). Say what you will, but history does not lie.

While I agree with most of the bloggers who feel that RIM seems to be standing still, while the world moves foward. I don't think it's over just yet. Seriously, why get into business if you're not willing to work a little. Anyone remembrer when Sony decided to make a game console? Most laughed, Nintendo is King, right? Then Microsoft threw its hat in the ring. Another cry of outrage. Ten years later and people seem to forget.

Seriously though, I agree that RIM should not rest on it's laurals and really grab the bull by the horns. Android and OS4 are great if you like them, but they're not for everyone. Some people like simplicity, elegance and reliability. BB is sometimes all that is needed. Personally, I never whatch movies on my phone. My 43 year-old eyes can't take that for to long. I use my BB as phone first, texting, IMing and email second and music third. There rest comes as needed. My wife has an iphone and it's nice, but I have no desire to own one. I really have no need for it. Love my Storm 2 (yeah I said it). It simply works for me (going on a year, no issues)

Happy New Years guys ,
    To the future of LTE (4G) and whatever come down the pike.
    Wait, what? This is news to me. Where I'm from blackberrys are looked at as top of the line, what are you talking about grim for rim?

01-02-11 02:31 PM
    Wait, what? This is news to me. Where I'm from blackberrys are looked at as top of the line, what are you talking about grim for rim?

Where's that? Most of the folks here are talking about the US market, in which RIM has been rapidly losing marketshare and is on pace to be overtaken for sales.

For the international market, they are still relatively strong.

RIM is just losing appeal to folks here who like our technology to increase more than a sprinkle more RAM and an upgrade from trackballs to pads, and get the opportunity to buy the same device (with the rest of the hardware remaining exactly the same) for full price again.
    01-02-11 03:25 PM
    Where's that? Most of the folks here are talking about the US market, in which RIM has been rapidly losing marketshare and is on pace to be overtaken for sales.

For the international market, they are still relatively strong.

RIM is just losing appeal to folks here who like our technology to increase more than a sprinkle more RAM and an upgrade from trackballs to pads, and get the opportunity to buy the same device (with the rest of the hardware remaining exactly the same) for full price again.
    I go to a "I'm better than you" sort of high school on Long Island NY and here were everyone has to have the newest and the best, BlackBerries are the thing to have. BBM is worshipped and they also work as a big image thing. Basically all the 'popular' trendy kids have Blackberries and some (but not as much) have iPhones and then the more 'techie' and 'nerdy' kids rep the Droids. Otherwise, you're a loser if you have anything else. I know it sounds pathetic, which it really kind of is, but ah, it's fun for a little bit. But it's funny, I really think it is perceived as cooler having a Blackberry more then an iPhone.

But anyway, I don't really stay to up to date with smart phone news, so I was always under the impression that Blackberry was the top smart phone manufacturer, it seems all the business men use them and so on.

Also, one thing that bothered me about having a blackberry instead of an iPhone was I really liked the idea of being able to carry all your music on you phone without having to bring a separate ipod with you everywhere, but I got really excited when I found you can put you iTunes library on your blackberry so easily through the desktop software. Off I am to buy a 32GB microsd.

John
    Last edited by laxexquis; 01-02-11 at 04:38 PM.
    01-02-11 04:35 PM
    I don't care when people say RIM is falling behind or Apple is wayy better! etc, ect. Because i know that my BB does EVERYTHING I need and I love it just for that <3
    01-02-11 08:15 PM
    Actually,apple was dying until steve"7inches to too big"jobs came to the rescue and singlehandedly turned apple around.

Actually, Apple was dying until Microsoft made a huge investment in them in the late 90s to help save them. If not for that, Steve Jobs wouldn't have had much to work with, TBQH...
    01-02-11 08:24 PM
    Who came up with the ifad ibone and hackbook?

01-02-11 09:45 PM
    Actually, Apple was dying until Microsoft made a huge investment in them in the late 90s to help save them. If not for that, Steve Jobs wouldn't have had much to work with, TBQH...
    While Apple was digging a hole for itself, Steve had continued with the NEXT as well as his role at PIXAR (In 1986, Jobs bought The Graphics Group (later renamed Pixar) from Lucasfilm's computer graphics division for the price of $10 million, $5 million of which was given to the company as capital). I think getting fired from Apple was good for Steve. Microsoft's inverstment (bailout, whatever) was benificial for both parties. Microsoft has been making software for macs for many years.

Here is the thing, Consumers are always stating, complaining, whining about what they want. Steve Jobs has made a career of selling people what he wanted. Case in point, with so many bashers and naysayers of both the iphone and the ipad, it's a wonder that they sell any at all. Yet, lines out the door (opening day) and record sales. The brand has gone from near death to Cult status. They set the standard. Everything is compared to the iphone, itunes and now you will start hearing "ipad killer" if it hasn't happend yet.

RIM has a great product line. They try to reach every tier, from caual user to soccer mom to social user to power user. They offer a variety of devices in many styles and design and on multipile carriers. IMO, I think they do try to appease the masses.

I really hope that they do have something interesting planned for 2011, because I really don't see myself buying an iphone or android device anytime in the near furture. I know the playbook might make its way home to me

For all the complainers there are still a good chunk of consumers that are quite content with their BBs. RIM still needs to knock more than just one out of the park though. They still can do it and it's not to late, yet.
    01-02-11 09:54 PM
    While Apple was digging a hole for itself, Steve had continued with the NEXT as well as his role at PIXAR (In 1986, Jobs bought The Graphics Group (later renamed Pixar) from Lucasfilm's computer graphics division for the price of $10 million, $5 million of which was given to the company as capital). I think getting fired from Apple was good for Steve. Microsoft's inverstment (bailout, whatever) was benificial for both parties. Microsoft has been making software for macs for many years.
    Macs had like a 5% desktop marketshare (if even that) back then. Apple disappearing would have done nothing that bad to Microsoft. It would have affected the like of Adobe, Macromedia, etc. way more than it would have affected Microsoft.

Microsoft probably bailed them out so that they didn't bring more anti-trust heat on themselves due to the lack of a major competitor, but that's about it.

They never needed Apple.
    01-02-11 10:55 PM
    RIM is best charting their own course, the way Apple did in the late 90's. RIM can not win by trying to be Apple. That said, I really would like a storm model with a high res screen.
    schlemer likes this.
    01-03-11 07:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD