Unless a new (high-end) Curve comes out I'll be saving money for the Tour2. Not that I would ever need world phone capability, GSM is enough and so is EDGE, however I will need to upgrade my 8900 sooner or later. It makes me feel a bit sad that RIM are releasing new BlackBerrys so quickly now trying to capture way too many audiences.

I never really liked the Bold (first generation). In my opinion it is just too bulky and quite ugly. Bold 9700 is a big step forward, but still doesn't convince me to upgrade (and the 8900 is my third BlackBerry already). I foresee the end of the Pearl series (no, seriously, not much news from that side of the BlackBerry world and let's be honest the Pearl Flip didn't capture a market big enough for RIM to continue it).

We have Bold, Curve and Tour series now as the full QWERTY BlackBerrys. In my opinion that's too much. Why not combine the "flagship" with world phone capability and so eliminate one complete series? Shouldn't "flagship" be something with the latest greatest and best of best? If so why do both Bold revisions not have world phone capability?

Maybe have the Curve series the low-end BlackBerrys (aka the affordable ones) and continue the Tour series as the new flagship (Bold) which are the high end ones. Sounds good doesn't it? With the Storm2 I don't believe we need anything else in the consumer sector so why not drop Pearl series completely.

This way RIM would have more time to concentrate on the really important stuff. Loyal BlackBerry users will keep upgrading but only if there are new features that really stand out. I personally don't care of app count or market share, even though they ARE important, but I care of quality and this was one reason to go for BlackBerry in a non-BlackBerry country: Finland. I live in so-called "Nokia land", but I'm sick of Nokia and everything else. With BlackBerry I hoped to get something high quality and unique with a stable, but powerful platform. I thought I was there with the 8900, but seeing the direction where RIM is heading it just makes me think I would have been better off maybe even with the iPhail.

Kevin or someone please help me cheer up
    10-28-09 12:55 PM
    Just wow, there are so many of these threads popping up today. Perhaps a sub forum under Off Topic should be set up for them, like a support group or something.
    10-28-09 12:57 PM
    Sorry if I'm disturbing you, I know there's been quite much heat in the forums recently, but I couldn't just help it. The problem with me is that I asked for trouble in the first place, but I still feel addicted to BlackBerry even without experiencing its e-mail capabilities.

Have you ever just sat down and thought why you love your BlackBerry and found other reasons to go for BlackBerry, which is NOT e-mail or BBM?
    10-28-09 12:59 PM
    This should be moved to the "off topic" section or something.
    10-28-09 01:01 PM
    Just wow ... like a support group or something.
    Radius, I always love your posts. LOL.
    10-28-09 01:02 PM
    Sorry if I'm disturbing you, I know there's been quite much heat in the forums recently, but I couldn't just help it. The problem with me is that I asked for trouble in the first place, but I still feel addicted to BlackBerry even without experiencing its e-mail capabilities.

Have you ever just sat down and thought why you love your BlackBerry and found other reasons to go for BlackBerry, which is NOT e-mail or BBM?
    The reason I can't replace it or would want to is the ability to use it as a communications hub. I do a lot more than BBM and email, I use IM packages and scheduling/task management. In short, I use it as it was intended, a business device.

Nothing even comes close to BB for that. I can go between multiple conversations no matter the medium instantly, share information and just generally be highly productive in a very short space of time.

Conversely, some people in the company with iPhones are a lot slower as they have a harder time managing multiple apps at the same time and sharing information between the apps.

One guy had a Palm Pre, don't even get me started about that. Sure it integrates with the web really great but it still doesn't hold a candle to the communications abilities of the BB.
    10-28-09 01:03 PM
    Radius, I always love your posts. LOL.
    Hey, let's hold hands and cry!
    To defend myself, not really Off Topic. Definitely On Topic I am just discussing RIM/BlackBerry naming and ranting about them.
    The reason I can't replace it or would want to is the ability to use it as a communications hub. I do a lot more than BBM and email, I use IM packages and scheduling/task management. In short, I use it as it was intended, a business device.

Nothing even comes close to BB for that. I can go between multiple conversations no matter the medium instantly, share information and just generally be highly productive in a very short space of time.

Conversely, some people in the company with iPhones are a lot slower as they have a harder time managing multiple apps at the same time and sharing information between the apps.

One guy had a Palm Pre, don't even get me started about that. Sure it integrates with the web really great but it still doesn't hold a candle to the communications abilities of the BB.
    That sounds quite interesting, but imagine a BlackBerry without BIS completely so all you have is the carrier network with that you can surf the Internet and all applications except RIM made ones (like Facebook, App World, BBM, et cetera)
    10-28-09 01:05 PM
    I don't know exactly what you're getting at, I still get the encryption and data protection I need for my business dealings, and I don't need a BIS connection at all if I don't want it.

The biggest thing I would miss is actually the push mail as battery life is everything to me. I can do without BBM as I almost never use it. As it stands I use 3rd party apps for most things so Wi-Fi connections work just great for me and there is always the option of using 3rd party apps on a non-BB data plan.

Not to mention the physical layout of the keyboard is perfect IMO, so I can't complain.
    10-28-09 01:16 PM
    So you are one of the few (?) who actually value BlackBerry devices for their QUALITY rather than service (BIS/BES). Good to know I'm not the only one and the fact we both have the 8900 hehee best friends forever?

I too prefer the keyboard much, it resembles that of the 8700c which was my first BlackBerry so I kind of grew up with this QWERTY.
    10-28-09 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD