Let me be upfront this is just me ranting if you're not interested please don't read further.

I'm not an IT guy or IT support personnel in the company. However everyone keep asking me for help on anything related to their computers or their smartphones.

None of them uses a BlackBerry phone. Majority are on iPhones.

Everyone keep asking me for advice when they have problems with their phones or computer. They also keep asking me for advice as to which phone to buy for their next phone.

After all the advice they will go out to buy an Android or iPhone anyway no matter what I say about BlackBerry. They keep thinking that BlackBerry is bankrupt & has already closed down.

Really feel like saying to them I don't use an iPhone or Android phone I don't know what is the problem or what to do please ask someone who uses the same device.

Posted via CB10
    Henrik McIntosh likes this.
    10-18-14 09:36 AM
    Well if they all seem to be coming to you...

1) They are obviously having issues with what they are using. Don't want to listen, oh well.

2) They obviously see that what you are using is working well, and wish that things were that great for them. Keep using what you're using. Oh well.

Some people thrive from toxic relationships... Even phone relationships...

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek and Loc22 like this.
    10-18-14 09:51 AM
    Haha. I have the same problem. I don't use an Apple computer or iPhone, but often end up helping people with theirs! I am also not a professional computer person, I just try to figure it out. They all know the only smart phones I have had are BBs, but they stick with what they have. They are sure BlackBerry is going out of business.
    I did convince one person who had a legacy BB not to change and he is happy with his Q10.

Posted via my Q10 or Z10
    Loc22 likes this.
    10-18-14 10:21 AM
    I have the same problem. I stopped trying to sell them on BlackBerry a long time ago. One of my coworkers concluded he wanted a Z10 without my input. His iPhone won't hold a charge and he was looking envious of my swappable battery. Unfortunately just a month ago our company decided that they would shore up their security with Mobile Iron and that this meant they would only support Samsung Galaxy, Note, iPhone (but no iPads) and maybe sometime before the end of the year, a single Windows Phone. They've expressly written no support for BlackBerry 10 even though they allowed us to buy them with our own money from their approved company store for the last two years. (Their solution for their employees who've spent their own dollars on a work phone is now "You want your email back on your phone, spend some more of your money on another work phone and hope we don't decide to pull the plug again."

My other coworker has a Galaxy S4, the new Mobile Iron software has made his phone a piece of junk. It went from working fine to major battery drains and freezing at all different times. So he keeps asking me for help. I keep telling him I can't fix it. He wants to know why my phone doesn't have the same problem. There's some kind of communication gap where he doesn't understand A) All I know about Android is how to play Candy Crush on my Nexus tablet. B) My phone is a personal phone, hence no Mobile Iron screwy app. C) Stop bashing your Android, corporate IT is who wrecked your phone. You want it to work like it used to, you'll probably have to delete your email.

Anyway, the online IT forum at my work is not a happy place right now. And that was my addition for this rant thread.

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 likes this.
    10-18-14 10:41 AM
    I think the question many will ask is if you really are tired of helping people when they know it's not a device you use, or if you are tired because they won't switch to BB10 despite your advice?

Either way I say just tell people you don't have enough experience with other platforms and leave it at that. People simply don't care about BlackBerry right now and that's not gonna change soon unfortunately

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-18-14 03:06 PM
    Then don't do it. Your choice.
    10-18-14 03:23 PM
    LOL that happens to me too where I get asked for tech support. We have android tablets at home, so I will help them with Android devices. But with iPhone, I say I left Apple a long time ago, lol. The feedback I get is I have to be a techy since I use a BlackBerry. Hmmm?

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    10-18-14 03:27 PM
    A lot of that free tech support and those related questions are often simply caused by laziness or convenience on the side of the person asking those questions or requiring "support".

RTFM (read the flippin' manual) is not in fashion anymore. Taking some time sitting down with the device familiarizing yourself with it is is also not very popular ...

Hard to tell sometimes whether it's a genuine question / need or any of the above.

"What have you already attempted to resolve the problem (yourself)?"
    "... How much effort have put in to find out? "

These or similar questions will quickly reveal what's really going on, without the other person really noticing (you're checking on them!) or taking offense :-)

Sure be helpful, empower them, but **don't** let them dump their work on you. "Love thy noob as thyself", without becoming a sucker yourself...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 10-19-14 at 03:27 AM.
    10-18-14 05:42 PM
    If you are in IT and don't want to answer technical questions then maybe you shouldn't be in IT. Do you honestly think if they were all using a BB10 device they wouldn't come to you with questions or issues? Just because you know how to work a BB10 device someone else might not and they are going to have issues.
    10-18-14 06:13 PM
    If you are in IT and don't want to answer technical questions then maybe you shouldn't be in IT. Do you honestly think if they were all using a BB10 device they wouldn't come to you with questions or issues? Just because you know how to work a BB10 device someone else might not and they are going to have issues.
    Let's not be hypocrites here! Idc what you do for a living but if you give people the same advice you'd give yourself and they ignore it and then they keep having problem with their decision...it can be extremely frustrating.

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    10-18-14 11:13 PM
    I have worked IT.... the first thing I learned was not to offer an opinion on what to buy or use... My job is to solve IT issues not sell someone product... If someone asked me for an opinion I inform them to do some research and decide for themselves....I further inform them that the reason I do not recommend anything is two fold... first.. I do not want be responsible if someone does not like what I suggested.... second.... majority of people never listen to what I suggest anyways..... so why bother.....
    southlander and Ghyss8888 like this.
    10-18-14 11:36 PM
    I have worked IT.... the first thing I learned was not to offer an opinion on what to buy or use... My job is to solve IT issues not sell someone product... If someone asked me for an opinion I inform them to do some research and decide for themselves....I further inform them that the reason I do not recommend anything is two fold... first.. I do not want be responsible if someone does not like what I suggested.... second.... majority of people never listen to what I suggest anyways..... so why bother.....
    I agree with this, even with family and friends. I simply NEVER offer advice. I'm happy to point options out, and I let folks try out my devices, but I don't recommend specific devices to buy.
    10-18-14 11:46 PM
    People who ask for advice - whether it is about cell phones or their boring personal problems - are time wasters. I know from past experience to leave them alone.
    10-19-14 12:03 AM
    Let's not be hypocrites here! Idc what you do for a living but if you give people the same advice you'd give yourself and they ignore it and then they keep having problem with their decision...it can be extremely frustrating.

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    Lol that has nothing to do with anything. A. The advice might not be good advice. B. Problems are going to exist with every decision. It's part of IT so either deal with it or move on.
    10-19-14 12:26 AM
    Well actually when they ask for advice on what to get I let them know the options & say if they go BlackBerry 10 they can video call me anytime & I can show them what to do.

They then end up with iPhone which I stopped using a long time ago or Android which I've never used. I'm not even in IT so I'm no expert. I'm trained as an accountant.

Yes, I got to say it gets a little frustrating when they call as I've not used that device & I need to play a lot of guessing game.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 01:04 AM
    I clearly understand where you're coming from. :-)

I don't mind answering questions, but if you've (regardless of whether you're providing paid support or "free" support for friends and relos) opted to assist someone, you answer their questions, provide solutions and pathways, give options on what to buy, but you're NOT doing their work. They still need to choose themselves, and you're not doing their menial tasks for them. I know it's a fine line...

You're here to empower and assist users, not do their work. Explain the concept, walk them through the process, then **if necessary** let them repeat it...

(Example: you explain the concept of bookmarks /favorites, you show them how to create a bookmark in the browser, maybe two, but you're not gonna sit through a whole session and do the entire internet for them :-) )

Always err on the safe and friendly side, but know where to draw the line. If it you feel it becomes kinda abusive or exploitative, explain yourself and withdraw in a professional manner. The majority of users will understand.

Just IMHO. No offense :-)

EDIT:

Legislation in Australia has it, so (e.g. as a lawyer or other professional) if you provide some casual off-duty / "off-the-cuff" advice, you need to clearly mark it as such and disclaim liability, otherwise you might still be liable for it. If in doubt, simply don't. Use common sense.

So: No liability ^ ;-)

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 10-19-14 at 04:03 AM.
    10-19-14 03:50 AM