I have had a BB for a few years now. I tried a couple of times to switch to Android and just couldn't handle it, so I'd switch back. I live in a rural area and for the past year or so my reception was terrible on my 8530, so I would mostly text. I finally got tired of it and went in for an upgrade. The rep said the Motorola Electrify 2 would give me the best signal, so I went for it. I got home and was roaming and my internet would not work at all! So I turned right back around and said "I want the Curve" (they had the 9350 so I fugured I'd upgrade a little).

Anyway, US Cellular is only offering two BB right now, the Curve and the Torch (makes me feel like they are phasing them out). And a part of me felt like I'd better get the last BB I can probably get from USC. I only went with the Curve because it's what I know and I just can't seem to handle the touch screen. Well when I got home my internet still wouldn't work, So I called customer service. Their first response was "ya unfortunately that is a common problem with the Blackberry". Huh? I've never had that problem before, and it turned out in the end that the rep just didn't register my phone correctly. They also proceeded to tell me how I really should have kept the Electrify because that would give me MUCH better reception. I told them about how I was roaming on it, and they said a tower was down in my area and they could assure me that was why. They said it should be fixed soon and my reception would be better.

Is there any truth to what they are telling me about Motorola vs BB and reception? Or are they just backing their android phones? I did a little research and found that a lot of people seemed to have reception problems with the 8530, so I am hoping my 9350 will be a little better. But because of all my trouble, they did allow me the chance to go back to the Motorola if I chose in the next couple of days. So I just can't decide. Signal is my top priority because this is my only phone, but I also just can't seem to get used to Android software and the touchscreen keypad especially for texting. I feel like I've had BB so long, I can't get used to anything else.

So my question is, does what they said sound true? Or are they just doing away with BB and trying to steer people clear of it?
    08-30-12 07:22 AM
    Carriers push what makes them money. Many manufacturers offer incentives to carriers to sell their products. And those incentives roll down to the associates as additional money when selling certain devices on commission. It is very possible your carrier is doing this.
    08-30-12 07:24 AM
    My carrier kept pushing the SGS3 down my throat with automated advertising commercials whilst waiting for them on the phone.

Finally get through & they'll ask if I've thought about the same too.
    08-30-12 07:39 AM
    there will probably be a fire sale on samsung phones soon....so they will defo be pushing them then.
    08-30-12 08:04 AM
    there will probably be a fire sale on samsung phones soon....so they will defo be pushing them then.
    ...why on earth would there be a fire sale on the top selling phones in the world?
    Do you understand the concept of a fire sale?
    08-30-12 08:16 AM
    Right now BB phones are almost "on hold" because BB10 is coming out. Nobody wants to be stuck in a 3 year plan with an old phone, even though they are fine for most people.

Honestly, the Torch at $0 on 3-year contract will be good enough for most people. Android phones are cheap and some are quite good, but on older OS... I would look at 4.0 Androids at the very minimum.

If you can wait it out, look at the offers in 2013... You will have iPhone 5, Windows 8, BB10 and latest Android offerings all competing... Should make a nice choice and consumer-friendly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    08-30-12 08:21 AM
    Damn, I can't wait it out now because I already switched twice yesterday. once you switch phones twice you are done. They are only going to make an exception and let me go back to the electrify now if i do it in the 15 day window they have. i wish i had known about the bb10 I really thought the bb's were done for there. But now I am on the fence about sticking with the 9350 or going back to the electrify.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    08-30-12 08:31 AM
    It doesn't hurt to give Android a try. As for the physical keyboard you get used to not having it. It all takes time that people aren't willing to give.
    08-30-12 10:52 AM
    ...why on earth would there be a fire sale on the top selling phones in the world?
    Do you understand the concept of a fire sale?
    I think he understands it very well. Do you understand that "step 2" for Apple is getting 5 Samsung phones taken off the market, if they can, because of the patent infringements? Any already sold are safe, any unsold may not be allowed to be sold. Carrier inventory may be something they can't sell at some point. Fire sale, in this case, is the carrier getting rid of the offending phones before they may not be able to. A partial loss is always better than a total loss.
    08-30-12 12:07 PM
    I think he understands it very well. Do you understand that "step 2" for Apple is getting 5 Samsung phones taken off the market, if they can, because of the patent infringements? Any already sold are safe, any unsold may not be allowed to be sold. Carrier inventory may be something they can't sell at some point. Fire sale, in this case, is the carrier getting rid of the offending phones before they may not be able to. A partial loss is always better than a total loss.
    Stock of most of those devices is so low that their impact isn't even measurable.
    Samsung is also on the hook for them anyway, so the carriers have nothing to worry about. Their not going to take a hit on selling those devices when Samsung is (presumably) legally liable for reimbursing them for the "illegal" products.

There's also the fact that no injunction has been passed, and the date set for the hearing is months away. If Samsung incites a fire sale on the offending devices, that will be used as evidence against them in the upcoming hearing. They're not that stupid...well, I suppose they did lose a trial that was partially based on the patenting of a rectangle...maybe they are stupid enough.

Edit: should add, the whole reason I even commented on his post is because of the claim of a fire sale on "Samsung phones". To me, that looks like all Samsung phones, not just the 1-2 year old infringing phones.
    08-30-12 12:26 PM
    Mike007 on the case. I thought the newest phone also infringes does it not? Isn't that what started the whole thing?
    08-30-12 12:38 PM
    The lawsuit started a long time ago and they added in some devices as things went along. The newer Samsung phones weren't included in the lawsuit, presumably because they don't infringe on the patents being presented.
    08-30-12 12:40 PM
    I know Bell Canada pushes Android.

My sister use to have a BB. 3 months ago her Battery died so she went to the carrier to get a new one. They tried to charge her $150 for a battery that was $8 on amazon. The sales person told her all sorts of lies about BlackBerry. Including the BlackBerry is going out of business lie & that as soon as RIM was sold her phone would imediatly become a useless brick.

When I heard this I told her it was not true, RIM was not going out of business & even if they shut down the phone would still work. She went back there & talked to a different salesperson & that person told her the exact same things. She told the sales person that her brother said she can buy the battery for $8 on Amazon, the sales person said that those are not real BlackBerry batterys, rather cheap chinese nock-offs that don't work properly after you buy them, so she ended up buying a Samsung S2 on a 3 year contract for $99. $50 less then what Bell said it would cost to replace her battery.

When I heard she had done this I asked her why had she not listened to me & she said that because the Bell sales people know what they are talking about, their job is phones, and 2 different sales people had told her the exact same stuff (or should I say exact same lies), so it must be right.
    08-30-12 12:49 PM
    Well Motorola phones do have a good rep for having great cell radios for reception.
    My old old oldddd Motorola Q never dropped a call.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-30-12 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD