--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect you might have an app on your phone that disconnects the bis connection and uses wap instead. Some apps do this and they don't seem to return the bis connection.
    A perfect example is dropbox app. Also I noticed Opera browser and internet radio/streaming apps. Unless you have wifi they would turn bis off and as long as you use them you get no emails.

#!#!#@ WOW Does Slacker Stop my emails I have Wi-Fi at work & have it on most of the day,Whats the best way to check if I`m disconnected from BIS.
    01-24-11 11:28 PM
    I don't know about Android, but on the iPhone even if the email has been downloaded from on the phone, once you delete it on the server, its gone from the phone too and vise versa.
    That's because Google uses ActiveSync to Sync to iPhones, and so does Hotmail.

On Android Google Pushes Email to the Gmail Client on the phone. Yahoo has their own Push Client, and Hotmail uses ActiveSync.

On Blackberry, it doesn't work that way.

I wish they would just add a damn ActiveSync client to their OS. No excuse for that in 2011...

I like Blackberries for messaging, but man... Email and OTA PIM synchronization on them actually is kind of terrible compared to most other smartphone platfoms...

I'm still trying to decide what's worse... Going back to Synching to a computer with a USB Cable, or paying a whopping $9.99 for BES on top of my Hosted Exchance (the phone line is only $24.95/mo - I go by that comparison not "$9.99 isn't really that expensive").
    01-25-11 01:14 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect you might have an app on your phone that disconnects the bis connection and uses wap instead. Some apps do this and they don't seem to return the bis connection.
    A perfect example is dropbox app. Also I noticed Opera browser and internet radio/streaming apps. Unless you have wifi they would turn bis off and as long as you use them you get no emails.

#!#!#@ WOW Does Slacker Stop my emails I have Wi-Fi at work & have it on most of the day,Whats the best way to check if I`m disconnected from BIS.
    If you have wifi you're fine, if you use it without wifi then yes.
    01-25-11 01:36 AM
    To the OP: You could switch carriers and be done with VZW. There are other fishberry's in the sea ya know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Or maybe ditch BB, I'm on VzW and I'm not having any issues with data. No RIM Outages on non RIM phones....just saying.
    01-25-11 02:05 AM
    He's on Verizon, I doubt it's the network.
    It is possible though. Maybe a coverage check would help and they have been working to expand to LTE, so that could possibly effect service, etc.

I know when Tmo was expanding to 3G, many 2G or Edge phones were seeing similar problem. This was when I was working in the Call Center, so I heard it tons lol.

VZW is the real mccoy, but things can happen regardless. Not saying it is the problem or even part of it, but its a possibility.

01-25-11 02:36 AM
    The problem with that logic is that RIM is focussed on emerging 2G markets, not the US. They will, however; be interested in Canada as they should.
    They have interest but remember Google owns Android which runs on many different phones and manufacturers. They have tons of money, as does Apple via Mac, ipod, etc. sales.

I think RIM is doing this as a means to get money to succeed in the catch up game they are playing. Long term I feel it is a great move. Us loyalists have to be patient, and I'm ok with that.

RIM will be back... They are expanding the 2G markets, 3rd world countries, etc. to fund the future like the new leaks we've seen. Then once QNX is finally on the phone, they will be back imo.

As far as RIM releasing QNX on the Playbook first... I feel its a way to see how users respond to the style, function, and abilities of it so they can see if/what tweaks are needed before putting it in our handhelds.

Also the new stock 6.1 devices may be able to upgrade to QNX. This is something I hope for but won't be crushed if it isn't so.

Short term things for them won't be awe-inspiring, but the future does look brighter than it did. I am one who respects all platforms... A rare breed these days, I know lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com.
    Last edited by Evan_O; 01-25-11 at 02:56 AM.
    01-25-11 02:51 AM
    The fact is, is that Android is making inroads into 3rd world countries too. RIM will have to fight off Android, the same OS that is slicing and dicing them in the US, in 3rd world countries too. RIM might not get chance to do that and might end up dying off in 3rd world countries, and then dying off completely.
    01-25-11 02:55 AM
    Well I don't see them going out of business. The growth they have had is astounding... Just not for us lol. They posted impressive numbers the past few quarters.

I like competition, and I know that everyone has the OS or phones they like, so I'd hate to see any go under. The great thing we all have the freedom of in the mobile world is choice...

If we didn't... Well it reminds me of when EA got exclusive rights to the NFL. They had no competition so the games haven't innovated much at all. Instead of the NFL2K series pushing the envelope (as they were, and very well) it is Madden knowing it owns the market so innovation isn't truly something needed to stay afloat. Btw, I love Madden but if they had competition then the games would innovate and bring more quality to the table.

Not the best analogy, but long-live Android, iPhone, BB, Winphone7, Palm, and even Symbian os for the sheer choice and competition.

01-25-11 03:07 AM
    RIM just takes to long to put out their devices. Take the playbook for example. We've heard about this revolutionary tablet for months now and its still not out. Meanwhile motorola just beats them to the punch and is releasing the xoom tablet which looks to be a superior piece of hardware and its going to be out sooner.
    01-25-11 06:42 AM
    RIM just takes to long to put out their devices. Take the playbook for example. We've heard about this revolutionary tablet for months now and its still not out. Meanwhile motorola just beats them to the punch and is releasing the xoom tablet which looks to be a superior piece of hardware and its going to be out sooner.
    +1 The fact that XOOM is being released with Honeycomb..the first Android OS specifically designed for a tablet..should make for an interesting comparison when the Playbook is finally released. I personally haven't seen much for hands on with Honeycomb yet..BUT if it does turn out to be really good in form and function..then it could definately turn some heads.

With the Playbook being released AFTER the Xoom..it could end up being either on par (and thus a "been there done that" feel) or it could be lacking in some of the same features..or it could blow the Xoom out of the water. IF it doesn't blow the Xoom away..then once again RIM's failed at getting something revolutionary out the door..and will once again be behind the perverbial 8-ball.

Will RIM have shot themselves in the foot by hyping this thing up for sooo long now only to have been beat to the punch by a competitor? Guess we'll see..
    01-25-11 08:03 AM
    I can't wait to ger my hands on a playbook. Rim is killing menwith the wait.

01-25-11 08:15 AM
    Can you explain this to me. How much of the connection does rim carry out? Meaning what is the routening? I was under the inpression that on a BIS the carrier makes all the connections but uses rims protocals.

There's a good chance a percentage of these problems are device and carrier specific. In one location I lose my browser and BIS service at about the same time nearly every evening. I have to turn the radio on & off several times to restore. Down the Jersey shore...never have a problem. Same 9550, one location gets the device cursed at in 7 languages. There is a relationship between RIM and the carrier transmission. The behavior of my Drip, I mean my Storm is proof of that!

01-25-11 05:06 PM
    They have interest but remember Google owns Android which runs on many different phones and manufacturers. They have tons of money, as does Apple via Mac, ipod, etc. sales.

I think RIM is doing this as a means to get money to succeed in the catch up game they are playing. Long term I feel it is a great move. Us loyalists have to be patient, and I'm ok with that.

RIM will be back... They are expanding the 2G markets, 3rd world countries, etc. to fund the future like the new leaks we've seen. Then once QNX is finally on the phone, they will be back imo.

RIM must change the foot print of their designs. Android is running away with the 4.3" screens and landscape sliders. Screen size and resolution are a major attraction and the postage stamp hard qwerty BBs seem to have lost appeal. When they do react to LTE, dual-core processing, front facing cameras, and all the features other suppliers have already embraced, they will have answered the bell. QNX is off the map for RIM until, as you've said, the PlayBook introduces an OS that would put them back into the game. The refreshes they leak are nothing more than a "bowl of steam," so to say. They change the case colors on the Bold-type standard and look for reaction. That's not the answer. Perhaps RIM will monitor the success of the 4 Android LTE handsets announced by Verizon and put a flame under R&D. Its tough running 5 or 6th in every race.....

As far as RIM releasing QNX on the Playbook first... I feel its a way to see how users respond to the style, function, and abilities of it so they can see if/what tweaks are needed before putting it in our handhelds.

Also the new stock 6.1 devices may be able to upgrade to QNX. This is something I hope for but won't be crushed if it isn't so.

Short term things for them won't be awe-inspiring, but the future does look brighter than it did. I am one who respects all platforms... A rare breed these days, I know lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com.

01-25-11 05:16 PM
    Thought I would update this thread I started. We are now long into second week of this outage, which is affecting mainly the west coast, especially LA and parts of the Midwest. Verizon finally admittd that there was an outage and stated they would be putting a patch on two towers because the issue is that the blackberries lose connectivity to rim servers. It was supposed to be fixed by this morning....and it NOT for me. Data connection is better, but all of my e-mails are significantly delayed. Just talked to verizon AGAIN and there is really no end in sight. Verizon still blames rim, people who have talked to rim say that rim says it is verizon's issue. Seems the theory is it is related to verizon testing their LTE network. I am inclined to believe it is a verizon not rim issue...but I have many friends and family on verizon that want to call on the free verizon to verizon program. I can't have crucial emails delayed. I really am feeling, as I said before that verrizon is not as motivated to maintain their blackberry service anymore....they are pushing their other phones. I am furious with verrizon, you wouldn't believe the misinformation, incompetence, and downright deception that has been happening. But....my choices are to stay with verizon because of their coverage and my friends and family calls but discard blackberry, or keep blackberry but switch carriers....

BTY, let me clarify...it is not just my gmail account that is delayed...it is ALL emails including my virizon.blackberry account. Data goes out intermittently, those who use BBM are reporting that is out also...

Last edited by artdeco; 01-26-11 at 11:33 AM.
    01-26-11 10:43 AM
    I was having the same issue when I had my Bold and gmail would work when it wanted to. Honestly I never had many problems with my Bold, but ust got bored of the BB os and not the BB layout which is why I gave the Droid Pro a try. Now I have no desire to go back unless they come out with a better "consumer" selection and something different.
    01-26-11 11:04 AM
90 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD