I suspect you might have an app on your phone that disconnects the bis connection and uses wap instead. Some apps do this and they don't seem to return the bis connection.
    A perfect example is dropbox app. Also I noticed Opera browser and internet radio/streaming apps. Unless you have wifi they would turn bis off and as long as you use them you get no emails.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't have these apps on my phone, or any new apps in the last few months. Verizon has acknowledged there is an outage...on the service outage forum many are responding. It does seems to be worse in the southern California area, particularly LA, but verrizon told me the outage is nationwide. However, it is not affecting everyone on verizon. I don't know who to blame, but verizon reps tell me it is RIM. I really don't care who is to blame....I just want this issue fixed. Please keep in mind this outage has been going on for over a week...I have missed crucial emergency work emails, and I think I have a right to be a little "cranky" lol. As of this morning the problem seems worse, all of my emails during the night were significantly delayed and my internet it out.
    01-24-11 08:42 AM
    Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't have these apps on my phone, or any new apps in the last few months. Verizon has acknowledged there is an outage...on the service outage forum many are responding. It does seems to be worse in the southern California area, particularly LA, but verrizon told me the outage is nationwide. However, it is not affecting everyone on verizon. I don't know who to blame, but verizon reps tell me it is RIM. I really don't care who is to blame....I just want this issue fixed. Please keep in mind this outage has been going on for over a week...I have missed crucial emergency work emails, and I think I have a right to be a little "cranky" lol. As of this morning the problem seems worse, all of my emails during the night were significantly delayed and my internet it out.
    Install Logicmail app, I use it as a backup and in case I need an older email.

01-24-11 08:45 AM
    I suspect you might have an app on your phone that disconnects the bis connection and uses wap instead. Some apps do this and they don't seem to return the bis connection.
    A perfect example is dropbox app. Also I noticed Opera browser and internet radio/streaming apps. Unless you have wifi they would turn bis off and as long as you use them you get no emails.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't have these apps on my phone, or any new apps in the last few months. Verizon has acknowledged there is an outage...on the service outage forum many are responding. It does seems to be worse in the southern California area, particularly LA, but verrizon told me the outage is nationwide. However, it is not affecting everyone on verizon. I
    don't know who to blame, but verizon reps tell me it is RIM. I really don't care who is to blame....I just want this issue fixed. Please keep in mind this outage has been going on for over a week...I have missed crucial emergency work emails, and I think I have a right to be a little "cranky" lol. As of this morning the problem seems worse, all of my emails during the night were significantly delayed and my internet is out. BTW, I have more than one emai account, all of them, not just gmai are not working, including my blackberry email. That also includes sending...
    01-24-11 08:49 AM
    Wait you don't use gmail and you're telling me about the technical aspects of blackberry email and my problems with gmail???
    Yea.. I guess? I made a suggestion. Gmail is a free email provided by google not rim or att. My suggestion is gmail is haveing problems with blackberry not blackberry haveing problems with gmail. I didn't say I didn't use email. I have no troubles with my emails. Just trying to help you dude. But I see you got it fixed with your iphone. Glad its resolved.

01-24-11 09:14 AM
    Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't have these apps on my phone, or any new apps in the last few months. Verizon has acknowledged there is an outage...on the service outage forum many are responding. It does seems to be worse in the southern California area, particularly LA, but verrizon told me the outage is nationwide. However, it is not affecting everyone on verizon. I
    don't know who to blame, but verizon reps tell me it is RIM. I really don't care who is to blame....I just want this issue fixed. Please keep in mind this outage has been going on for over a week...I have missed crucial emergency work emails, and I think I have a right to be a little "cranky" lol. As of this morning the problem seems worse, all of my emails during the night were significantly delayed and my internet is out. BTW, I have more than one emai account, all of them, not just gmai are not working, including my blackberry email. That also includes sending...
    I have one othe suggestion, set your blackberry to the 2G only network and see if that fixes it. If that works it means it's Verizon's fault. Also, if you connect to wifi does it work as normal or is it still delayed?

artdeco likes this.
    01-24-11 09:15 AM
    I have one othe suggestion, set your blackberry to the 2G only network and see if that fixes it. If that works it means it's Verizon's fault. Also, if you connect to wifi does it work as normal or is it still delayed?

Don't have wifi currently but I will test that later...how do I set it to 2G? Thanks for the help.
    01-24-11 09:22 AM
    Don't have wifi currently but I will test that later...how do I set it to 2G? Thanks for the help.
    Options/mobile network/network mode/ here set to 2G only or whatever the cdma equivalent is for 2G.

01-24-11 09:28 AM
    Ok...figured out how to do settings for 2G...but it wouldn't connect and I have no service. Did wifi experiment....no delays....but then inhave to turn off network and dont get phone service. So this means it is definitely verizon? I will call them again if this is correct...
    01-24-11 09:35 AM
    Ok...figured out how to do settings for 2G...but it wouldn't connect and I have no service. Did wifi experiment....no delays....but then inhave to turn off network and dont get phone service. So this means it is definitely verizon? I will call them again if this is correct...
    Well, put it this way, bis from all networks have to go trough the same rim noc server so no, it's not rim.

01-24-11 09:41 AM
    Well, put it this way, bis from all networks have to go trough the same rim noc server so no, it's not rim.

They go through the same NOC, but not the same servers. Each carriers set of BIS servers are different which is why you see carriers rolling out BIS updates at different times. BIS outages on just one carrier happen while others work just fine, and their are reports of a Verizon BIS issue over the weekend.
    01-24-11 10:24 AM
    They go through the same NOC, but not the same servers. Each carriers set of BIS servers are different which is why you see carriers rolling out BIS updates at different times. BIS outages on just one carrier happen while others work just fine, and their are reports of a Verizon BIS issue over the weekend.
    Ok, didn't know that but what if it works trough wifi, doesn't that mean it's something to do with the carrier's network rather then the allocated bis server?

01-24-11 10:28 AM
    Ok, didn't know that but what if it works trough wifi, doesn't that mean it's something to do with the carrier's network rather then the allocated bis server?

Possibly, but it could also be a problem with the radio on the phone itself not working properly (low signal, corrupting packets, etc.). If the phone is having to retransmit a lot of packets over the cell network because of a bum radio but not wifi then wifi would be quicker. Of course if this is the case, then the browser and BBM would also be affected too.
    01-24-11 10:42 AM
    Possibly, but it could also be a problem with the radio on the phone itself not working properly (low signal, corrupting packets, etc.). If the phone is having to retransmit a lot of packets over the cell network because of a bum radio but not wifi then wifi would be quicker. Of course if this is the case, then the browser and BBM would also be affected too.
    Not the phone...talked to verizon again, rep said she is getting many blackberry calls as it is a nationwide outage. Verizon rep blamed rim even after I told her it worked fine on wifi....I am confused.
    01-24-11 10:46 AM
    keep in mind there is a learning curve with the Droid I choose Windows Phone 7 equally as good. Both have a learning curve coming from a BB. My friend went with a droid and loves it, it was like freedom. no more lying to yourself hoping things will get better / change.

RIM does look like they'll ever change how BES/BIS works so outages and problems will always remain.
    Yeah I truly understand but believe when QNX is running these berries it won't be an issue. My Gmail always works... So I'm thinking it might be that carrier with BIS/BES. I'm Tmo btw so maybe its cdma not being "as compatible" with push functions.

01-24-11 10:53 AM
    AND MOST OF ALL... Congratulations on the new phone!!! Stay around here though, the Android section is great an AC.com gets more bashy than here imo... And most others too lol

01-24-11 11:01 AM
    Not the phone...talked to verizon again, rep said she is getting many blackberry calls as it is a nationwide outage. Verizon rep blamed rim even after I told her it worked fine on wifi....I am confused.
    When you connect to the BIS, you are building an encrypted tunnel from the phone to your carrier's BIS via the data network you are connected to (either wifi or carrier data network). So when I go to China, I'm using the local data network to build an encrypted tunnel from my phone back to Sprint's BIS via the Internet (which is why their is tons of delay when in china to browse even though I'm at UMTS speeds). So it would appear in your case there is an issue somewhere between Verizon's network and the Verizon BIS servers in RIM's NOC since the Wifi to these servers is working fine. It sounds like its more likely to be Verizon's fault, unless RIM has done something somewhere in the IP routing in their NOC that is only affecting IP traffic going to/from Verizon.
    01-24-11 11:10 AM
    AND MOST OF ALL... Congratulations on the new phone!!! Stay around here though, the Android section is great an AC.com gets more bashy than here imo... And most others too lol

The WP7 forum at XDA got pretty bad for a while. I took a break from it, I'll have to pop there and see if it's still as terrible :P
    01-24-11 12:26 PM
    Verizon customers in Virginia experienced a service outage around 1 p.m. today. Service was restored shortly before 4 p.m. this afternoon.

Outages do occur, how they are handled and what the reps tell you are a different matter. Hopefully they would disclose the truth to us.
    Last edited by guavaberry; 01-24-11 at 03:57 PM.
    01-24-11 03:54 PM
    When I delete emails from my blackberry it gets automatically deleted in my gmail account. When I delete my email from gmail account it does not get deleted on my BB.
    This is not actually a bug. BlackBerry (at least on the native email client) handles email the same way an email client on a computer handles it. (Outlook, Thunderbird, Lotus Notes, etc) So it downloads the email from the server. When you delete from a BB (or a computer), you have the option to delete what you have DLed from the server as well as from your client. But, if you're on Gmail via web or an app with webmail function, you can't delete the mail from a device that's already DLed it, whether that device be a phone or computer. Yes, it does have to do with the specific way that BBs handle email, but it isn't a bug.
    01-24-11 04:03 PM
    I don't know about Android, but on the iPhone even if the email has been downloaded from on the phone, once you delete it on the server, its gone from the phone too and vise versa.
    01-24-11 04:59 PM
    Verizon customers in Virginia experienced a service outage around 1 p.m. today. Service was restored shortly before 4 p.m. this afternoon.

Outages do occur, how they are handled and what the reps tell you are a different matter. Hopefully they would disclose the truth to us.
    I'm in Houston and my Verizon Blackberry clients haven't had any issues lately.

Definitely sounds like a limited Verizon issue with communication to the NOC.

I also laugh a bit at Verizon telling you it's RIM's fault. I work in IT and whenever I call any large company (Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc) for support, it's always the other guy's fault first. And level 1 techs never know what's going on. Don't expect them to be well-informed.

Hope the OP is happy with his new phone, anyway.
    01-24-11 06:02 PM
    I don't know about Android, but on the iPhone even if the email has been downloaded from on the phone, once you delete it on the server, its gone from the phone too and vise versa.
    That's why I said the BB handles the mail like a computer email client. I used to have a dumbphone that would delete the email on the phone if it was deleted on the server. I've also had a phone previously that handled mail much like my BB. (But much worse and much slower.) But I've never had email delete from my computer email client even if I deleted the mail from the server. So BBs apparently handle the email in a similar way. I'm not saying that other phones don't work differently. I'm just saying that it isn't necessarily a bug.
    01-24-11 06:07 PM
    end of the day rim used to be great for email on the bes, now bis and their consumer end is no better than apple or droid...i tried the iphone 4 and want a 9780 but cant see myself going back to the dark ages.
    01-24-11 07:59 PM
    I've never one experienced any issues with my email.

01-24-11 08:10 PM
    To the OP: You could switch carriers and be done with VZW. There are other fishberry's in the sea ya know.

01-24-11 09:57 PM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD