I upgraded my 9700 today.

Once again, after the upgrade, no settings were saved in 3rd party apps. I had to spend 1 hour configuring Facebook (which messes up with my notification prefs in facebook.com...), Google Sync, Gmail, Viigo, Tweetxtreme, Flickr, etc...

There MUST be a way / tool / software that could make life easier, no ?

When an iPhone is updated through itunes it keeps all data, personal and application settings.... Why couldn't RIM introduce such a feature in their updater ? Is there a way to suggest them directly ?
    12-28-09 08:22 AM
    The BlackBerry web based and computer based upgrades both start with a full backup and end with a restore. Everything is carried forward intact when it has successfully completed the upgrade.

How have you upgraded your device?

Do you have a backup of your data and settings?
    12-28-09 11:07 AM
    What I think the OP means is that even after a successful backup and restore it is
    still necessary to re-enter registration / unlock codes, settings for apps such as
    WeatherEye, BBTran, etc.

It would be very nice if there were a way that all of that were retained in a backup
    and reapplied with a restore when reinstalling or upgrading the OS.
    12-28-09 11:15 AM
    Good catch AG. Thanks.
    12-28-09 11:19 AM
    "It would be very nice if there were a way that all of that were retained in a backup
    and reapplied with a restore when reinstalling or upgrading the OS."

Indeed ! :-)

Devices running on Symbian, Windows Mobile, Android and iPhone OS will keep those settings after a successful update.
    12-29-09 05:13 AM
    As long as the back up program knew which settings could and which ones can't be restored. Which really means a lot of beta testing for each and every OS release from each OS release.

Staying with the 4.6 platform would probably be fine but upgrade to the 5.0 platform and you are probably asking for hours of troubleshooting because of one errant setting.
    12-29-09 07:44 AM
    As long as the back up program knew which settings could and which ones can't be restored. Which really means a lot of beta testing for each and every OS release from each OS release.

Staying with the 4.6 platform would probably be fine but upgrade to the 5.0 platform and you are probably asking for hours of troubleshooting because of one errant setting.
    Maybe I am missing something but I can't imagine why this would make a bit of
    difference.

If the backup captures the registration code for each app, any user names and
    app specific settings and then simply reapply them when the app is restored
    the OS should be a non-factor (to the extent that the app works with
    that OS). There should be zero beta testing or troubleshooting involved.
    12-29-09 08:05 AM
    Indeed. The problem would be the same for Symbian then. S60 updates do not erase any app settings.
    12-29-09 01:41 PM
    Indeed. The problem would be the same for Symbian then. S60 updates do not erase any app settings.
    I had an Audiovox Maestro 1032 running Pocket PC 2002 that was able to
    accomplish this.

This may turn out to be ONE MORE thing the BB does not do natively that we
    will have to wait for a 3rd party developer to address. Sad if you ask me.
    12-29-09 02:31 PM
    Maybe I am missing something but I can't imagine why this would make a bit of
    difference.

If the backup captures the registration code for each app, any user names and
    app specific settings and then simply reapply them when the app is restored
    the OS should be a non-factor (to the extent that the app works with
    that OS). There should be zero beta testing or troubleshooting involved.
    I'm thinking about some of the programs out there that have OS5 and OS4.6 versions that are different. You would not want your settings reapplied and let it try to run in the background when it is the incorrect version. Especially those that start on boot up.
    12-29-09 04:02 PM
    I'm thinking about some of the programs out there that have OS5 and OS4.6 versions that are different. You would not want your settings reapplied and let it try to run in the background when it is the incorrect version. Especially those that start on boot up.
    Logically, it still should not make a difference. A user name is a username.
    A p/word is a p/word. A registration code is a registration code.
    Those are the only things I am talking about.

It does not matter whether you go up or down in the OS chain. Those things
    remain constant. As long as the app work for whatever OS there is no reason
    this is not doable.
    12-29-09 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD