Look at my signature. I think one of the *biggest* reason for RIM's downfall has been that they ignored their end-users. They prioritized feature-requests from carriers and partners instead of actual end-users. Their logic was, if they keep carriers happy, carriers will sell their devices. But they forgot, end users are not going to buy a product which does not have features that they (the end users) want!

I think RIM should absolutely create a feature-request page (like they have in BetaZone) for BlackBerry 10 overall. Most voted features should get implemented quickly. If something is impossible to implement, a proper explanation should be provided. It should be a two way interaction.
    1. People send feature requests
    2. People vote on these requests
    3. RIM provides updates on top 25 requests every month
    -> implemented
    -> to be implemented
    -> can not be implemented right now because .....
    A lot of start-up companies have such feedback pages where users can request features THEY want.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    12-18-12 01:29 PM
    Have you ever listened to people? Lol, some will say small, some will say big, some will say thin, some will say thick, some will say LTE, I have no LTE where I live

You can't please everybody.
    12-18-12 01:38 PM
    Pretty much anything is too late now. Apparently some employees in town have been given final hardware, so i expect leaks in the coming days.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    12-18-12 01:39 PM
    A feature request page is a good idea. As far as the voting and feedback, I think much of that must need be done behind closed doors. I'm with belfastdispatcher - could quickly devolve. What is that old saying? (correct me if I'm wrong ) "An elephant is a horse designed by committee ."
    And re: Apple - let's not forget Mr. Jobs famous quote, "People don't know what they want until we give it to them. "
    Bold _Until _Hybrid _Comes is also correct : too late to be monkeying with The Ten launch. The rocket is ready. Ain't gonna be no, "Houston, we have a problem."
    However, a suggestion page is a good idea. BlackBerry might be able to pan for some gold with that. It is nice to have an outlet and feel you're heard.
    12-18-12 02:12 PM
    Have you ever listened to people? Lol, some will say small, some will say big, some will say thin, some will say thick, some will say LTE, I have no LTE where I live You can't please everybody.
    True. Which is why "voting" is going to help bump up the features that most people care about. Then RIM can provide feedback or guidance on most requested features or suggestions. I am not saying, implement every feature. I am saying, collect feedback/suggestions/feature requests and then let your end-user community at large vote on them to determine what is important to user.
    Pretty much anything is too late now. Apparently some employees in town have been given final hardware, so i expect leaks in the coming days.
    I wasn't talking about just this L or N series device. People can't really provide feedback before using the device anyway! I meant, as an on-going practice, RIM should have a feature-request page. This page should not be like a black-hole. RIM should actually look at feature requests, let community vote on them, and then provide feedback/guidance.

However, a suggestion page is a good idea. BlackBerry might be able to pan for some gold with that. It is nice to have an outlet and feel you're heard.
    Exactly!
    12-18-12 02:56 PM
    I think this is an astonishing good idea Although its Linux, Ubuntu has this Popular ideas - Ubuntu brainstorm check it out its fantastic. And its a waaay better format to consolidate ideas plus it gives users a voice and by voting give BB HQ a better view of demand. I actually think CrackBerry should do this.
    12-18-12 05:17 PM
    True. Which is why "voting" is going to help bump up the features that most people care about. Then RIM can provide feedback or guidance on most requested features or suggestions. I am not saying, implement every feature. I am saying, collect feedback/suggestions/feature requests and then let your end-user community at large vote on them to determine what is important to user.

I wasn't talking about just this L or N series device. People can't really provide feedback before using the device anyway! I meant, as an on-going practice, RIM should have a feature-request page. This page should not be like a black-hole. RIM should actually look at feature requests, let community vote on them, and then provide feedback/guidance.

Exactly!
    I misunderstood. A continuously ongoing suggestion list for future bb10 updates is a good idea in my opinion. In a forum setting the improvements are likely to get lost within the comments though
    12-18-12 05:26 PM
    Here is an example of "feature request" page that I was suggesting. It's a screenshot from Tango's site. RIM Should create something along these lines.
    RIM should certainly create a page like this for BlackBerry customers. Two way interaction goes a long way in satisfying users.
    Feature Request page for BlackBerry @ RIM-bb_10_feature_request_page.jpg
    12-25-12 02:06 PM
    Talking with, and listening to, your users is a great idea. But you have to make sure you talk to the right users: people who actually bought, or would buy, your product--not people who still wouldn't buy your product even if you addressed all their alleged needs. To do this, you must clearly identify who your target market is--and who it isn't--and truly understand your points of differentiation from competitors. A "suggestion" or "requests" site is one way to gather feedback, but you have to be careful that the feedback doesn't lead you to build your competitors' products without any kind of unique value prop or differentiation. In other words, you have to stay true to your mission and accept that some consumers might be outside your target market. Also, as others mentioned, there's a high likelihood of contradicting features when soliciting feature requests. Unlike in the software space, some features are more likely to be mutually exclusive when it comes to hardware. Check out any thread BB 10 slider thread for some good examples of this.

Sometimes people don't know what they want, but I think more often than not, they just can't properly *articulate* what they want because their ability to "imagine" or visualize something different is constrained by their existing experience. Again, discussions around a BB 10 slider are a good example of this. Many people say they want a slider, but what they really want is a phone that provides a great typing experience without sacrificing screen real estate. A slider form-factor is one way of addressing that need. Or, RIM could approach it from a different angle and say, "What if we can make a virtual typing experience so good that it rivals a physical one?" At the very least, the experience could be good enough for most users, and they actually are happy to be without the added heft and complexity of the slider form-factor. Of course, some people might really want a slider, plain and simple, and will not be open to anything else. And in that case, RIM would have to decide whether those users are a profitable or worthwhile enough market to go after with a different product.
    12-26-12 10:10 AM
    theres this thing called the BlackBerry BetaZone. thats what your basically after lol
    12-26-12 10:15 AM
    theres this thing called the BlackBerry BetaZone. thats what your basically after lol
    Yeah, well, but BlackBerry BetaZone has few crippling limitations -
    1. You can not suggest generic features, you can only request features for a particular beta product (for eg: BBM 7 Beta). You can't submit feature requests for BB 10 overall
    2. There is voting option but there is no option to add comments along with your vote. See in Tango screenshot, users can vote as well as add some comments.
    3. RIM team does not provide any updates to our up-voted features (there are no labels or BB Developer comments like "planned" "not feasible" "planned for next build") etc.
    -- Clearly, they need to significantly improve their feature-request section.

As for who can provide feature requests? I don't really care if they limit it to registered beta testers/users or verified customers or open it to public at large. As long as they implement an interactive feature request page to a reasonable set of users and then actually interact (that is, provide updates) to submitters/users, it's all good.
    12-26-12 01:47 PM