I was thinking about this:

The new os 7 devices aren't exactly reflective of the RIM's superb reputation for battery.

Well, the reason is obvious. In order to have the new blackberries modern and thin, they sacrificed the battery size and capacity.

When the bold 9700/80 had a 1500 MAHz (forgot the symbol),

The bold 9900 and 9860 have 1230 MAHz.

The bold 9700 had a small 480X360 screen and a 600-400 MHz processor. Obviously, the battery life will be extremely bad.

In my view, the only thing which may fix up battery life and turning it around is something which is common to the PC world.

This is under clocking.

I mean, don't under clock the beautiful 1.2 GHz when you are using it.

When your phone is on standby, underclock it to 300-400 MHz. I don't need to use that much power to receive emails when my phone is on standby.

Maybe even when the phone is being used, the phone should be able to judge how much power is needed. Maybe 700 MHz for BBM and 1 GHz for browsing.

I don't know. All I know is that this feature is software related and not hardware related.

The battery can be so much better!

What do you guys think?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    04-16-12 05:33 AM

The new os 7 devices aren't exactly reflective of the RIM's superb reputation for battery.
    Actually, with the latest builds of 7.1, my 9900 is doing well in battery performance.

When your phone is on standby, underclock it to 300-400 MHz. I don't need to use that much power to receive emails when my phone is on standby.

Maybe even when the phone is being used, the phone should be able to judge how much power is needed. Maybe 700 MHz for BBM and 1 GHz for browsing.

I don't know. All I know is that this feature is software related and not hardware related.

The battery can be so much better!

What do you guys think?
    Maybe this is precisely what's going on in "Battery saver mode." Does anyone know?
    04-16-12 07:51 AM
    Really the processor at idle isn't using a lot of juice,
    What Battery Saving mode MAY do, and I hope it does, is when your phone is say idle for 5 minutes, it drops down from 3G to Edge, and remains in edge until you pick it up and engage in a data intensive application, so just picking it up to read your emails or make a phone call would not trigger 3G unless Edge signal can not complete the task.

THAT would bring a significant battery savings,
    underclocking/overclocking should work in the same way if they are going to look for maximum performance from the battery, while I'm on the phone, the processor doesn't need to be going at full tilt, scale it back, when I'm reading emails again doesn't need to be at full tilt, really until I open apps like the browser, bb travel, or anything that needs some more than basic rendering a 600mhz processor is probably all I need.

Hopefully RIM is working on these ideas for BB10 to maximize battery life, but the Radio efficiencies need to come before clocking
    04-16-12 08:02 AM
  4. T
    This is a great idea for BlackBerry. My ThinkPad has a similar system. I can create power schemes and specify whether the processor will idle and work at lowest, low, "adaptive," or maximum speed/performance.
    04-16-12 08:59 AM
  5. T
    Oh, yea, I'll add that, together with dimmer screen settings whenever possible, it saves a whole lot of battery power on the low settings. It's worth using a lower processor speed whenever possible, when maximum performance isn't needed. My machine's pretty powerful, and even on lower settings it loafs under load, like a Cadi with a big V-8, tranny in high gear, just sailing down the hiway.
    04-16-12 09:04 AM
    well, i am all for proposing battery saving tips.. but i cannot agree with your starting position.

I get the same/better battery life with the 9930 than the 9650 and same/slightly less than with the 9330

04-16-12 09:10 AM
  7. T
    I get the same/better battery life with the 9930 than the 9650 ...
    If that's true I would conclude that the 9930's battery life is not so bad, or the 9650's battery life is not so great. Glass half full or half empty, either way, if the 9930's battery life is the same as that of my 9650, I'd be okay with it. On a normal day I can take my 9650 off the cradle at 6am and it will last till 11pm or midnight with moderate use and till 6pm with heavuy use. That's reasonable and acceptable to me.
    04-16-12 09:18 AM
    im pretty sure that this happens as it is. There would be no reason to crank out 1.2 ghz while the screen is off and in standby. I know in android we toy around with the clock freq and sometimes limit the high end when the screen is off and such but its not like that saves me hours of battery.

What Battery Saving mode MAY do, and I hope it does, is when your phone is say idle for 5 minutes, it drops down from 3G to Edge, and remains in edge until you pick it up and engage in a data intensive application, so just picking it up to read your emails or make a phone call would not trigger 3G unless Edge signal can not complete the task.

underclocking/overclocking should work in the same way if they are going to look for maximum performance from the battery, while I'm on the phone, the processor doesn't need to be going at full tilt, scale it back, when I'm reading emails again doesn't need to be at full tilt, really until I open apps like the browser, bb travel, or anything that needs some more than basic rendering a 600mhz processor is probably all I need.

Hopefully RIM is working on these ideas for BB10 to maximize battery life, but the Radio efficiencies need to come before clocking
    data handoffs are nasty and non GSM phones cannot really do this. there is an "edge" mode with Verizon known as 1X but its horribly slow and in my experience not reliable. Granted a BB probably would keep connection with data services better because of the NOC pushing info to the phone and such but dont know for sure.

Honestly most of the battery complaints have really gone down with 7.1 being introduced. Much better battery life over the each builds of OS 7 i would think. I do agree every little bit can count though so the more life the better no matter what!
    04-16-12 09:30 AM
    I agree with all the posts! The biggest saver can be my idea and the data idea.

In a phone call, my signal drops to edge.

Maybe when you aren't using the phone, just drop it. That works.

I dont need 3G speeds when sending an email or bbming.

The phone should be smarter and be able to pick what's needed where.

04-16-12 10:10 AM
    All processors currently drop to a low MHz when not in use.
    04-16-12 12:05 PM
    Also, switching radios will not save too much battery. A phone at idle (whether it is 4g, 3g, edge, etc.) uses very little battery. May even cost more batter having to switch radios all the time and having to reconnect to the network.

The biggest killer of any batter is the screen and it's brightness settings.
    04-16-12 12:12 PM
    I've heard of a Nexus S OS that Underclocks down to 100mhz when put in standby.

I wish the OS7 phones did this.
    04-16-12 12:13 PM
    Honestly most of the battery complaints have really gone down with 7.1 being introduced. Much better battery life over the each builds of OS 7 i would think. I do agree every little bit can count though so the more life the better no matter what!
    Agreed, but the question is how 7.1 has done this.

I agree that the processor does very little during idling, but even when the screen is dark the BB isn't necessarily idling. There may be emails coming in and various things being updated and synced, and timed processes have to check the clock, etc. So....maybe when the screen is dark, all these background processes take place at a slower speed in OS 7.1, or in battery saver mode, or both.
    04-16-12 01:12 PM
    im pretty sure that this happens as it is. There would be no reason to crank out 1.2 ghz while the screen is off and in standby. I know in android we toy around with the clock freq and sometimes limit the high end when the screen is off and such but its not like that saves me hours of battery.

data handoffs are nasty and non GSM phones cannot really do this. there is an "edge" mode with Verizon known as 1X but its horribly slow and in my experience not reliable. Granted a BB probably would keep connection with data services better because of the NOC pushing info to the phone and such but dont know for sure.

If my phone went 3 days full tilt, I'd want 4, if it went 7, I'd want 8! there will always be battery complaints!

plus CDMA people can suck it hahaha Battery saving mode can work when you have LTE then
    04-16-12 01:27 PM
    haha, i find my battery life dies more on 3g than LTE actually. Stronger signal lock i guess
    04-16-12 01:45 PM

That would be a good feature however AT&T is in the process of turning off its edge network and I wonder how much longer until other carriers start to do the same. RIM still have the best battery life on the market and i'll be they are always looking for new low power components to make it even better. I'm not sure that edge switching will be it. Great feature if it happens tho, I left my blackberry on edge most of the time because of the additional run time

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    04-16-12 01:47 PM
  17. T
    That would be a good feature however AT&T is in the process of turning off its edge network and I wonder how much longer until other carriers start to do the same
    Does this mean our legacy "world" devices will no longer be able to receive EDGE data in Europe (and elsewhere around the world)?
    04-16-12 01:54 PM
    Does this mean our legacy "world" devices will no longer be able to receive EDGE data in Europe (and elsewhere around the world)?
    No. They'll get edge as long as the carrier supports edge. AT&T doesn't want to support it anymore and have told legacy users that their devices will stop working soon and to upgrade.

Euro carriers might do the same thing at some point though.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    04-16-12 01:59 PM
    There was a post that says this already happens.

Can that person or anyone elaborate?

04-17-12 05:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD