What about BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:57 PM
    Wow....I assumed all smartphones have had the ability to encrypt data. I messed around with it on my OS5 BlackBerry. Apple and Google are only now adding this?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 08:10 PM
    And the government has no one to blame for this but itself. By secretly (or not so secretly) violating so much privacy, breaching so many systems and so much security so routinely, they have lost the trust of those who have elected and appointed them to their positions. Well, too damn bad. Now they're going to have to go back to good old police work, and stop searching phones and computers during traffic stops, stop wholesale tapping into databases, etc.

If they had limited their activities to what everyone would understand was necessary, it likely would never have come to this. Instead, they cried "wolf" for far too long, and now they fear a real wolf will come and there will be no one to listen to their cries.
    BB_Junky, m1kr0, shaleem and 5 others like this.
    10-16-14 08:12 PM
    Wow....I assumed all smartphones have had the ability to encrypt data. I messed around with it on my OS5 BlackBerry. Apple and Google are only now adding this?
    No, the ability to encrypt your phone has been in place for years on both platforms. It was, however, turned off by default, so a user would have to choose to turn it on.

With the latest versions of the OS (iOS 8 and Android 5.0 Lollipop), encryption will be enabled by default. People can still turn it off if they choose, but as we all know, most people will simply use their phone as they receive it, and so, over time, the vast majority of the people will end up with an encrypted device as they upgrade their phones or install new OS versions.

BB 10 (non-BES) can also be encrypted, but like iOS and Android versions before the latest releases, it is off by default.
    10-16-14 08:16 PM
    Double speak if you ask me...
    He claims that the government does not and cannot access all of your data, then out the other side of his face says that he is worried about encryption because the government will no longer be able to do so...

Okey Dokey...

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 08:25 PM
    So in other words the fbi is pretending they want access to it all when they already have it
    10-16-14 09:14 PM
    And the government has no one to blame for this but itself. By secretly (or not so secretly) violating so much privacy, breaching so many systems and so much security so routinely, they have lost the trust of those who have elected and appointed them to their positions. Well, too damn bad. Now they're going to have to go back to good old police work, and stop searching phones and computers during traffic stops, stop wholesale tapping into databases, etc.

If they had limited their activities to what everyone would understand was necessary, it likely would never have come to this. Instead, they cried "wolf" for far too long, and now they fear a real wolf will come and there will be no one to listen to their cries.
    On this we agree. But time for a bit of honesty Troy. Apple and Google have been working hand-in-glove with the US government and in particular the FBI and the NSA to read everything. They meet on a bi weekly basis in Washington. The New York Times has documented and detailed this nefarious relationship. It is frankly disgusting and the very reason, I won't touch a single thing that has to do with either company. The only reason Apple and Google have decided to do anything (and that means the bare minimum) is because they are being shut out of entire countries for their bull$$$$ operations. You reap what you sow.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 09:26 PM
    So in other words the fbi is pretending they want access to it all when they already have it
    Yeah, it's all a show to help repair the image of the tech companies (I'm sure Blackberry is included) that got busted working with the government. It sounds like a promo and endorsement for the new IOS 8 and Android 5.0 security. They want to give the public the false sense of privacy and security, so that they can let down their guard again and become comfortably and blissfully igonorant and oblivious to the reality that there is no such thing as a democracy now, just the illusion. And that the tech companies are standing up to the government and can be trusted and are on the public's side and not the goverment.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    10-16-14 09:42 PM
    Yeah, it's all a show to help repair the image of the tech companies (I'm sure Blackberry is included) that got busted working with the government. It sounds like a promo and endorsement for the new IOS 8 and Android 5.0 security. They want to give the public the false sense of privacy and security, so that they can let down their guard again and become comfortably and blissfully igonorant and oblivious to the reality that there is no such thing as a democracy now, just the illusion. And that the tech companies are standing up to the government and can be trusted and are on the public's side and not the goverment.
    If you actually read the FBI directors comments, he directly says that any company that provides end-to-end security solutions is considered a US Security threat. Well you just heard it from horse's mouth. BlackBerry is now considered a threat to US National Security. Any wonder why the US has a hate-on for BlackBerry. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Posted via CB10
    Xenolock likes this.
    10-16-14 09:51 PM
    BlackBerry may not be as hands off as we think: http://m.theglobeandmail.com/technol...service=mobile

Posted via CB10
    boi2012 and SethDove like this.
    10-16-14 10:00 PM
    BlackBerry may not be as hands off as we think: The strange connection between the NSA and an Ontario tech firm - The Globe and Mail

Posted via CB10
    BAM!
    10-16-14 10:06 PM
    I don't believe them, just the kinda thing those that are already sleeping together would like you to believe. They share their data and master keys of sorts, why think it will change now.

No Shade Just Light!!!
    10-16-14 10:52 PM
    BlackBerry may not be as hands off as we think: http://m.theglobeandmail.com/technol...service=mobile

Posted via CB10
    Ayye

What was BlackBerry website again where they debunked BlackBerry "myths"?
    I doubt they'll comment unless we pressure them though, lol.
    10-16-14 11:18 PM
    BAM!
    This article was debunked a year ago
    The only thing it shows is that Omar has little understanding of security nor can neither he follow a time line. Even he admits his logic was flawed.

Posted via CB10
    Smitty13 likes this.
    10-16-14 11:18 PM
    This article was debunked a year ago
    The only thing it shows is that Omar has little understanding of security nor can neither he follow a time line. Even he admits his logic was flawed.

Posted via CB10
    Must've missed it, do you remember the name of the article or who debunked it? (or a link if you have it)
    10-16-14 11:32 PM
    Ayye

What was BlackBerry website again where they debunked BlackBerry "myths"?
    BlackBerry Fact Check: http://blogs.blackberry.com/category...ry-fact-check/

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 and nah.uhh like this.
    10-16-14 11:40 PM
    If you actually read the FBI directors comments, he directly says that any company that provides end-to-end security solutions is considered a US Security threat. Well you just heard it from horse's mouth. BlackBerry is now considered a threat to US National Security. Any wonder why the US has a hate-on for BlackBerry. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Posted via CB10
    I'm glad someone finally figured that out the #1 reason why BlackBerry isn't so easily available in the US

Send from the amazing powers of the? ? Z30
    Smitty13 likes this.
    10-17-14 08:50 AM
    BlackBerry Fact Check: http://blogs.blackberry.com/category...ry-fact-check/

Posted via CB10
    I don't see any debunking of the alleged backdoor there.
    And to argue that the *US government* says Blackberry is secure is missing the point. BB's close ties with government is the one thing that makes me consider using another phone.

There's more on Wikipedia. (The inability to paste text in this CB10 app is so lame.)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SethDove; 10-17-14 at 09:56 AM.
    Rjinswand likes this.
    10-17-14 09:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Here you go, a follow up to that:
    http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-...service=mobile

Posted via CB10
    anon(1464249) likes this.
    10-17-14 10:01 AM
    BlackBerry may not be as hands off as we think: The strange connection between the NSA and an Ontario tech firm - The Globe and Mail

Posted via CB10
    You don't understand the article you posted. There was known by some a flaw in OpenSSL. OpenSSL was thought to be secure and was used by lots if IT companies. When the flaw was publicly known, it was patched.
    10-17-14 10:11 AM
    From Wikipedia:

"Bruce Schneier has pointed out that even if not enabled by default, having a backdoored CSPRNG implemented as an option can make it easier for NSA to spy on targets which have a software-controlled command-line switch to select the encryption algorithm, or a "registry" system, like most Microsoft products, such as Windows Vista:
    A Trojan is really, really big. You can’t say that was a mistake. It’s a massive piece of code collecting keystrokes. But changing a bit-one to a bit-two [in the registry to change the default random number generator on the machine] is probably going to be undetected. It is a low conspiracy, highly deniable way of getting a backdoor. So there’s a benefit to getting it into the library and into the product.
    —Bruce Schneier,*[46]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_EC...sible_backdoor
    Last edited by SethDove; 10-17-14 at 05:23 PM.
    boi2012 likes this.
    10-17-14 10:33 AM
    On this we agree. But time for a bit of honesty Troy. Apple and Google have been working hand-in-glove with the US government and in particular the FBI and the NSA to read everything. They meet on a bi weekly basis in Washington. The New York Times has documented and detailed this nefarious relationship.
    Do you know WHY they meet twice a week, and why they're working "hand-in-glove" with the government? It's because both companies (and I'm sure BB too) receives National Security Letters to the tune of 10,000-15,000 per year. These are requests for data access (i.e., cloud data, including emails and such) by agencies like the FBI, who has to gather this information through legal channels, and Apple, Google, BB, Microsoft, IBM, all cellular carriers, etc. all get these letters, and depending on what is asked for and the reasons given, either hand over the data or dispute the letter (it's decided on a case-by-case basis), so, yeah, of course they have to meet often to discuss this stuff.

That's totally different from what you're accusing them of (based on something you read written by someone with either a poor understanding of what is taking place or who was just writing click-bait articles), which is voluntarily working to hand your data over.

When the FBI Director stated that they don't have unfettered access, or the means to collect data like people imagine, he's not lying. It's the NSA who has that, along with the budgets and equipment and staff, and believe it or not, NSA doesn't like to share its information, generally, or even let people know what they've got. NSA had actually broken into Google's (and Microsoft's, and Apple's, and Yahoo's) firewalls and was able to get into the raw data, because once inside the networks, the encryption had been stripped off by design. I can't speak for the others, but Google was furious when this was discovered, and immediately invested in a program to keep all data encrypted even in storage, to prevent such access even if another exploit was found in the firewall and someone were to get into the network. Google well knows that people expect them to protect user data against everyone, including the NSA, short of an individual legal request (subpoena or National Security Letter), and they take that very seriously, just like BB and the other big guys. You can bet heads rolled at Apple over the recent iCloud issues and that they'll be reviewing their systems and standards as a result.

No one is perfect, but those companies spend hundreds of millions employing some of the best minds in the security and encryption fields and are definitely not voluntarily giving out data beyond what is legally required of them. The issues were an NSA hack (as even Snowden admits - why would an exploit be needed if these companies were working with NSA and giving them full access?), and NSA's got the massive budget to develop such things. FBI's budget is a small fraction of NSAs; NSA's budget makes the CIA's look small.

So, some paranoia and skepticism is a good thing, but be careful not to slip into full-on tinfoil hat conspiracy theory territory.
    Last edited by Troy Tiscareno; 10-17-14 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo
    DenverRalphy and anon(832122) like this.
    10-17-14 04:04 PM
    Do you know WHY they meet twice a week, and why they're working "hand-in-glove" with the government? It's because both companies (and I'm sure BB too) receives National Security Letters to the tune of 10,000-15,000 per year.
    Damn junk mail!

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-17-14 05:40 PM
    So, some paranoia and skepticism is a good thing, but be careful not to slip into full-on tinfoil hat conspiracy theory territory.
    I probably said that quite a few times already, but this is an important part:
    At the point where you think that you need a bigger tin foil hat, you probably should rather invest into a tinfoil suit.
    That's the much better and logical choice.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 07:50 PM
    Do you know WHY they meet twice a week, and why they're working "hand-in-glove" with the government? It's because both companies (and I'm sure BB too) receives National Security Letters to the tune of 10,000-15,000 per year. These are requests for data access (i.e., cloud data, including emails and such) by agencies like the FBI, who has to gather this information through legal channels, and Apple, Google, BB, Microsoft, IBM, all cellular carriers, etc. all get these letters, and depending on what is asked for and the reasons given, either hand over the data or dispute the letter (it's decided on a case-by-case basis), so, yeah, of course they have to meet often to discuss this stuff.

That's totally different from what you're accusing them of (based on something you read written by someone with either a poor understanding of what is taking place or who was just writing click-bait articles), which is voluntarily working to hand your data over.

When the FBI Director stated that they don't have unfettered access, or the means to collect data like people imagine, he's not lying. It's the NSA who has that, along with the budgets and equipment and staff, and believe it or not, NSA doesn't like to share its information, generally, or even let people know what they've got. NSA had actually broken into Google's (and Microsoft's, and Apple's, and Yahoo's) firewalls and was able to get into the raw data, because once inside the networks, the encryption had been stripped off by design. I can't speak for the others, but Google was furious when this was discovered, and immediately invested in a program to keep all data encrypted even in storage, to prevent such access even if another exploit was found in the firewall and someone were to get into the network. Google well knows that people expect them to protect user data against everyone, including the NSA, short of an individual legal request (subpoena or National Security Letter), and they take that very seriously, just like BB and the other big guys. You can bet heads rolled at Apple over the recent iCloud issues and that they'll be reviewing their systems and standards as a result.

No one is perfect, but those companies spend hundreds of millions employing some of the best minds in the security and encryption fields and are definitely not voluntarily giving out data beyond what is legally required of them. The issues were an NSA hack (as even Snowden admits - why would an exploit be needed if these companies were working with NSA and giving them full access?), and NSA's got the massive budget to develop such things. FBI's budget is a small fraction of NSAs; NSA's budget makes the CIA's look small.

Troy, I do remember this being the case as you stated as to the reasoning for the frequent meetings of the tech companies and the government. I do believe that's the case. But, I believe also, that the truth is in the middle. I don't think the tech companies willfully and joyfully hand over backdoor access information to the government and are part of a conspiracy with the government. But, I do believe that the whole FBI public denouncement of Apple and Google encrypting their platforms, is all a farce. We, the public will never know what really goes on behind close doors, but I'm sure things are not handled in a systematic and democratic way as you may think. I think Snowden helped emphasize that. If the government wants to get information on your phone whether encrypted, legal or not, they're going get it. I'm sure they stong arm, threaten and blackmail these corporations sometimes to get what they want. There doesn't really exist checks and balances any longer in certain regions of the government. The public has become too passive and oblivious to what's going on.
    Last edited by boi2012; 10-19-14 at 09:51 AM.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    10-17-14 11:00 PM
38 12