At some point security should become relevant. This is interesting though.

Link
    03-31-16 12:15 PM
    Thank you! Too bad...

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 
    03-31-16 12:53 PM
    Open those the floodgates, Apple must be just cringing now.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-16 01:10 PM
    Sad for the iPhone users.
    03-31-16 01:12 PM
    I'll never understand why people think this is somehow relevant to Blackberry and would entice people to use their phones.
    03-31-16 01:41 PM
    I'll never understand why people think this is somehow relevant to Blackberry and would entice people to use their phones.
    I agree 100%, Blackberry is no more secure then any other smartphone unless your on a BES Server or Good Services and iPhones and Android devices are all capable of using either one of them.
    03-31-16 01:44 PM
    It is relevant in that most of us use a smartphone of some type. Before the San Bernadino incident, people had little worry of the FBI breaching the security of devices.

Most people have little reason to fear that the FBI is after their phone data, but yet they do not like knowing that the FBI can break in if they want to.
    03-31-16 02:01 PM
    It is relevant in that most of us use a smartphone of some type. Before the San Bernadino incident, people had little worry of the FBI breaching the security of devices.

Most people have little reason to fear that the FBI is after their phone data, but yet they do not like knowing that the FBI can break in if they want to.
    Again not sure how people think this would push anyone to buy a Blackberry.
    03-31-16 02:01 PM
    Because their phone is called the the "Priv" which means it offers the ultimate in privacy*

*unless you are a criminal or don't lock your phone as often because there isn't a convenient fingerprint scanner to automatically unlock it.
    03-31-16 02:04 PM
    Nobody said that in this thread.
    03-31-16 02:05 PM
    Nobody said that in this thread.
    When the original post says "at some point security should become relevant" I think it's pretty clear that it's meant that security should become relevant to people so they'll run out and buy a Blackberry.
    03-31-16 02:08 PM
    When the original post says "at some point security should become relevant" I think it's pretty clear that it's meant that security should become relevant to people so they'll run out and buy a Blackberry.
    I think you are reading something into that statement that is not there, but whatever. Security or privacy is a big issue, but not so much that the iPhone users are all going to pitch their phones into bonfires and buy Privs.
    03-31-16 02:10 PM
    I think you are reading something into that statement that is not there, but whatever. Security or privacy is a big issue, but not so much that the iPhone users are all going to pitch their phones into bonfires and buy Privs.
    Yeah, I guess whatever.
    03-31-16 02:11 PM
    Criminals aren't safe.... that's basically all I get from this. Chen went on the record back in December saying "However, our privacy commitment does not extend to criminals.”

There are levels of security that most of us are willing to "accept". Having an Apple devices might be like having a regular door lock and deadbolt on your front door. Maybe we'd like to have a 12" steel door... but then we'd have to do something about all those glass windows.
    Irish Blues likes this.
    03-31-16 02:42 PM
    I agree 100%, Blackberry is no more secure then any other smartphone unless your on a BES Server or Good Services and iPhones and Android devices are all capable of using either one of them.
    we havent seen it yet. Have we?
    03-31-16 03:31 PM
    ehhh not really. I think its interesting truly I do. I was one who stated long time ago that security was going to shift to mobile devices and that Blackberry should capitalize on that (back then I said). I decided to post it here because I dont own an iPhone and I am not a member of any other mobile site.
    03-31-16 03:33 PM
    The reason that I feel sad for the iPhone users is that they were so jubilant when Apple refused to help the FBI.

It must give them many sads that the FBI can open their phones regardless if Apple helps or not.
    03-31-16 03:48 PM
    Never understood how anyone thought that Apple ever had a case. Years of legal precedent holds that a person must provide access to a locked area if presented with a court order. "Sorry, Feds, I will not open that storage unit for you because doing so would violate my tenant's privacy" is a good way to be jailed for obstruction or contempt.
    03-31-16 03:52 PM
    I think Apple was saying that there was no way to open the phone, and that the FBI wanted them to develop software that would open the phone.

Which is a little different than saying we won't open it for you.
    03-31-16 03:57 PM
    I think Apple was saying that there was no way to open the phone, and that the FBI wanted them to develop software that would open the phone.

Your recollection is incorrect. Apple never said they could not do it. In fact they provided an estimate of time and resources required to create the special software the FBI demanded while stating there were a handful of engineers at most with the skills to do so. They refused on the grounds that the FBI's invoking of the All Writs Act was legally inappropriate in this case and argued that they should not be compelled to write such software. Lots more detail easily available online.

And to the best of my knowledge, I have not seen any proof anywhere that the FBI has actually broken into any iPhone. Just a lot of talk. So, sorry, I am not sad. I am just very angry at how the FBI and by extension the DOJ is getting away with publicly lying, taking advantage of ignorant judges, and using bully boy tactics. That's just wrong. I used to admire them in spite of the black eye of some of the Hoover years. Now, that's blighted.

Anti-Apple sentiment is blinding too many people who are spreading nonsense. Which handset company is involved is irrelevant. They are all targets. There was an interesting opinion piece I read today that addressed something that puzzled me - why so many cases involving iPhones and not Androids (5x as many), given their similar US marketshare. The author speculated that while it was possible that more crooks used iPhones, another possibility was that Androids may be easier to get into and thus LEOs don't have to go the official legal route. Food for thought.
    03-31-16 04:30 PM
    Everyone here so happy about what has happened to the iPhone, thats just sad. Keep cheering on big brother.

The truth is that every phone, especially a BlackBerry is vulnerable to what just happened to iPhone. Why do I say especially? Because Chen will go out of his way to help governments get what they want.

To Apples credit, they are now trying to obtain information as to how their security was breached. The FBI in hiring an Israeli comapny to break in the iPhone did at least accomplish one thing. They made it clear that even if you have a comapny with good intentions of keeping you safe, the government will win anyway.

Chen is evil. Yes. Tim Cook is more moral. But in the end it doesn't matter.

And the government has the majority of you approving of their actions against "evil apple" and "evil Google". At least those companies tried. Chen / BlackBerry / FBI = all the same.

Z5 - E6853 / Android 6.0 / T-Mobile USA
    03-31-16 04:52 PM

I agree with you. Apple guys were probably fist hitting their chests thinking that they had a secure phone.
    damien kupuku likes this.
    03-31-16 06:02 PM
    Everyone here so happy about what has happened to the iPhone, thats just sad. Keep cheering on big brother.

The truth is that every phone, especially a BlackBerry is vulnerable to what just happened to iPhone. Why do I say especially? Because Chen will go out of his way to help governments get what they want.

To Apples credit, they are now trying to obtain information as to how their security was breached. The FBI in hiring an Israeli comapny to break in the iPhone did at least accomplish one thing. They made it clear that even if you have a comapny with good intentions of keeping you safe, the government will win anyway.

Chen is evil. Yes. Tim Cook is more moral. But in the end it doesn't matter.

And the government has the majority of you approving of their actions against "evil apple" and "evil Google". At least those companies tried. Chen / BlackBerry / FBI = all the same.

Z5 - E6853 / Android 6.0 / T-Mobile USA
    Why is it so sad?
    03-31-16 06:04 PM
    Your recollection is incorrect. Apple never said they could not do it. In fact they provided an estimate of time and resources required to create the special software the FBI demanded while stating there were a handful of engineers at most with the skills to do so.
    and a third party company did it in three weeks. What a shame eh? either they were lying or didnt wanted
    03-31-16 06:06 PM
    It's sad if they can be hacked into.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    03-31-16 06:09 PM
100 123 ...