View Poll Results: Fast GPS acquisition or long battery life? Which one you prefer?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Couple hours of battery life with seconds faster GPS acquisition time

5 55.56%
  • Days of battery life with seconds longer GPS acquisition time

4 44.44%
    The GPS cold start acquisition time is determined by GPS chip and firmware, there�s no way for apps to change it. LifeInPicket puts GPS to sleep when it�s not used but some apps keep GPS alive (if you see the blue dot) when it�s not in use so they can get GPS instantly later but this cost them severe battery drain. LIP is the only app designed with superior power management technology to maximize battery life.

Should LifeInPocket sacrifice battery life for fast GPS acquisition time like some apps do?

I have Poynt and Viigo but ALWAYS shut them down completely. I double check constantly for this. I left Poynt running in the background once, and it killed my battery. Never will I let that happen again.
    02-17-10 03:59 PM
    I would ask for an option. In your car you can use the car charger. Walking the streets one may opt for long battery life. In my opinion, more customization the better.
    02-17-10 04:25 PM
    I would ask for an option. In your car you can use the car charger. Walking the streets one may opt for long battery life. In my opinion, more customization the better.
    Good point! So which you think should be the default?
    02-17-10 04:29 PM
    I'm in my car for several hours at a time when on the road. Or at least 30 minutes to drive into town when at home.

Whenever my Tour is in my car, it is in a charging cradle. I wouldn't use extended GPS or other radio services (Pandora, Sirius/XM...) without my BB plugged in.
    02-17-10 05:28 PM
    And to answer, I think that if you are doing localized searches, the software should cache the current location. Once the location is cached, there is no need to reacquire GPS location for each and every search. Locations don't need to be saved to be useful, and the cache can be for 15, 30, or 60 minutes to preserve battery power.
    02-17-10 05:31 PM
    Good point! So which you think should be the default?
    My opinion, default to turn gps off, with option to turn on. This way battery life is preserverd. Either way it's a win for the customer base.
    02-17-10 07:59 PM
    My opinion, default to turn gps off, with option to turn on. This way battery life is preserverd. Either way it's a win for the customer base.
    Hey,

Thanks! This is excellent idea!
    02-17-10 08:47 PM
    Battery life is very important. I'll delete any app that kills my battery.
    02-24-10 10:23 PM
    I dont even think there should be a default. What I would do is to have some sort of wizard that activates the first time you run the app. Then you could set it up as per your own preferences, and then have a second profile thats choosable should you decided to use it when walking. As i7guy said, most people who use it in their cars charge it at the same time. And the only place I use my phone as a GPS is in the car as well (rare occasions when i check it from in pocket its only to quickly check where I am and where I'm going.. I never walk around with it on looking at where I'm going.. therefore a higher battery drain profile makes sense to me, if you HAD to have a default)
    02-26-10 10:39 AM
    If you have and beta feedback, please sign-in to https://www.lifeinpocket.com/html/ to provide your feedback of report a bug . (This is a requirement in our beta user agreement which you have agreed when you sign-up.).
    I used to use Telenav, it trapped me in the middle of the road when I drove to Las Vegas and never work reliably when I drive a little bit out of my area. Bought Garmin's $100 app while it's only worse and drain battery even faster.

This the only Nav app taking me from point A to point B without any glitch for months. Most importantly, it's turning voice instructions are very precise so it's pretty much hands and eyes free for me. A lot of time, I simply leave it in my pocket during navigation.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 03-14-10 at 07:25 PM.
    03-12-10 11:46 AM
    Actually I really liked Amaze 4.5 before it went to a paid subscription. Was very accurate.
    03-12-10 11:57 AM
    We try not to let others feels we are attacking other apps so we will avoid comparing with others if we can.

LifeInPocket is the only Life Enrichment App, navigation is just one of our 12 icons. When you search for nearby restaurants/business, view ratings/reviews you can simply click "Take me there" and our lady will take you there by voice directions. You can also send location to friends and family using our Location Messaging and they can view it on the map or select "Take me there" to meet you there. It's very powerful but the app size is only about 732 KB.

For your reference, most navigation only apps eat up 3,000 KB or more of your app memory.

One of the LifeInPocke's unique feature is it allows you to re-calculate route anytime so you can take your own route then press "re-route" to let LIP take over anytime you want.

You can plan your trip at our PC we site by dragging destination addresses over then sync to LIP on your BB. You can then one click to go to those destinations.

Both BB address book and our on line address book can be used for nav, mapping, call, email, etc.

Edit: Below are some CB Users' comments about the latest version of amAze GPS, you can search CB to find much more by yourself.
    If anyone's interested in getting another opinion on amAze, here's mine FWIW:

Of the 5 or 6 mobile GPS apps I've tried, amAze is BY FAR the worst. It would never let me stay on the highway, no matter where my destination was or how I had my trip optimized (shortest distance vs. fastest route, etc.). It always wanted me to exit and take side streets. In several cases when my destination was straight ahead, it would have me turn left, right, right and left, taking me around 3 unnecessary sides of a block instead of just continuing straight. It took me on all kinds of crazy detours and since it doesn't say the street names, it was easy to get lost. The menus were totally convoluted and a pain to navigate, making it impossible to use safely in a car, which in my opinion, defeats the purpose of a GPS navi app. I'd rather pay to use Gokivo than use amAze for free, and now you can't use amaze for free anymore anyway. Save your time and money.

It's possible that a few of my issues have been fixed since I never wanted to touch it again, but I never understood how it could even compete with things like Gokivo, Nav4All, LifeInPocket, etc. out there. It seems al of them are going the way of charging, which doesn't particularly surprise me, but if I were going to pay for a GPS navi app, I sure wouldn't reach for the worst one I've ever used.
    I dumped Amaze back in December when, on a trip from Florida to Alabama, it routed me through Kentucky (check a map) - about 700-ish miles off course, iirc. I pulled into a McDonald's, downloaded Garmin Navigator, and bought a license for it within 2 days. Nice interface, instant rerouting when traffic gets bad, and $20 discount through BB Owner's Lounge.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 03-13-10 at 01:47 PM.
    03-12-10 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD