Let's be honest the priv is the first PREMIUM device BlackBerry has released. The Z10 and Q10 or even the Leap aren't premium compared to today's phones. If they started releasing high speced devices like the priv from the beginning maybe they wouldn't be where they are.

Posted via CB10
    Stewartj1 and silversmith75 like this.
    11-11-15 04:53 PM
    You appear to have missed the Passport SE (Powerful and a premium look and feel)
    11-11-15 04:55 PM
    You appear to have missed the Passport SE (Powerful and a premium look and feel)
    Ya but the passports form factor is not something everyone would use. And even counting that that's still only really 1 premium bb10 device they've realized. Even the z30 doesn't really stack up imo.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 05:06 PM
    Many people aren't interested in a PKB device so it was really only likely to be popular with the few PKB fans in a vast sea of all touch users. The form factor wasn't likely to appeal to a lot of consumers either.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 05:53 PM
    Let's be honest the priv is the first PREMIUM device BlackBerry has released. The Z10 and Q10 or even the Leap aren't premium compared to today's phones. If they started releasing high speced devices like the priv from the beginning maybe they wouldn't be where they are.

Posted via CB10
    Though both my kids Q/Z are amazing and I use them like crazy.. premium is in the eye of the beholder I soppose

 Pin: 2BD2A1FD| ‎  вιaсĸвεггч� Q❿/Z❿
    11-11-15 08:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Fair or not, everyone has a frame of reference when it comes to smartphones. The Passport specs, look, and feel certainly qualify it as premium.

BlackBerry made a Lot of decisions that landed them in their current situation.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    11-11-15 08:26 PM
    Fair or not, everyone has a frame of reference when it comes to smartphones. The Passport specs, look, and feel certainly qualify it as premium.

BlackBerry made a Lot of decisions that landed them in their current situation.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    Obviously it wasn't ONE decision they didn't put themselves in this position over night, however I'm merely talking about if they released a premium device from the beginning. Instead of releasing so many lesser quality speced phones

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 likes this.
    11-11-15 11:28 PM
    Obviously it wasn't ONE decision they didn't put themselves in this position over night, however I'm merely talking about if they released a premium device from the beginning. Instead of releasing so many lesser quality speced phones

Posted via CB10
    It wouldn't have mattered if they had released the most absolute premium device you could imagine - if it ran BB10 the reviewers (and almost all smartphone users) would have looked at it and said, "No apps!" and then never thought of it again.

They released the lesser spec'd phones because they probably thought that more people would forgive the lack of apps if the phone didn't cost that much. And they wanted to offer customers who didn't have as much money to blow a chance to own a BlackBerry.

You're using the term 'premium' incorrectly here anyway. The Passport is a premium device. The fact that it's not in a form-factor you like doesn't matter. I'd never buy one of those blingy massive gold Rolex watches, but they're certainly premium devices.
    the1 likes this.
    11-12-15 12:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 sure as hell was premium when released. Shoot it's still premium in feel and construction to the likes of the iPhone 6, S6, etc. Have you ever held and or used one? I'll take my Z30 on 10.3.2 against any current flagship. I manage 5 email accounts and get 300-400 emails/day in running my business. I could buy any device I want but in my personal usage of Android and or iOS devices neither handle communications as fluidly or well. They just don't. Besides a Gmail account I won't even add other email accounts to my Samsung Tab Pro. The reality is BlackBerry 10 is the most modern of all mobile OS's. Android and iOS have been patched and updated. I know where BlackBerry 10 stands market wise and what BlackBerry is doing with Android but honestly I could care less. I'll use BlackBerry 10 until it is no more. I had a Priv in one hand Saturday and my Z30 in the other. Instead of ordering one I decided I'll swipe and gesture any and all day over the home and back buttons of Android. It actually made me chuckle how Android on the Priv is trying to be like BlackBerry 10. But hey it has Google Play Store so that makes it premium. I do hope it sells well to Android fans and older BlackBerry OS 7 users.

Z30 wickedness
    11-12-15 12:09 AM
    I'll also take my two day battery life on my Z30 and Passport. That it itself is a premium feature for me and my needs.

Z30 wickedness
    11-12-15 12:17 AM
    It wouldn't have mattered if they had released the most absolute premium device you could imagine - if it ran BB10 the reviewers (and almost all smartphone users) would have looked at it and said, "No apps!" and then never thought of it again.

They released the lesser spec'd phones because they probably thought that more people would forgive the lack of apps if the phone didn't cost that much. And they wanted to offer customers who didn't have as much money to blow a chance to own a BlackBerry.

You're using the term 'premium' incorrectly here anyway. The Passport is a premium device. The fact that it's not in a form-factor you like doesn't matter. I'd never buy one of those blingy massive gold Rolex watches, but they're certainly premium devices.
    This.....

User experience is really OS agnostic. Nobody cares about the OS really. Without apps, I would put BB10 against any mobile OS in terms of functionality, but nowadays, people equate apps to the functionality of an OS when apps are really used to fill some functionality that is missing. (I used some because the most popular apps are for consumption and not productivity)

But to answer your question, if you are coming from Blackberry to Priv (I know what I said there and I stand by it), it is completely fair to compare the operating systems, because the company dropped their own OS to move to Android, so people should have the chance to test and see if Android is for them. I think the notion of telling people to suck it up, adapt, and love it because Blackberry made it and it has all the apps is ridiculous.

I also think what people considers "premium" is overrated and overused. You drop a "premium" feeling device and tell me what happen. That's why most people who buy "premium" devices keep them in cases but I understand everybody is different. To me, if a device isn't durable, it isn't premium, that is unless it's value rises in 5 years, which will never happen with cell phones.
    GenghisKahn2011 likes this.
    11-12-15 12:18 AM
    no
    bb10 is 100 times better then ****in android

posted via BlackBerry Z30 ( best full touch)
    Q10Bold likes this.
    11-12-15 12:18 AM
    I'll also take my two day battery life on my Z30 and Passport. That it itself is a premium feature for me and my needs.

Z30 wickedness
    It lasts 2 days because of the dim lower resolution screen.
    11-12-15 01:43 AM
    No you can't as they're world's apart.

I'd alo like to mention that it's a tough call when non bb10 users ask if they should get the Priv or a BB10 phone. I'm biased and prefer BB10, but mainstream people's prefer a larger app selection over a productive OS.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2639/SR .2474  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    11-12-15 05:56 AM
    Fair or not, it's just the way it is because BlackBerry's history went the way it was. BlackBerry never went with high-end specs until the Passport and even that wasn't super high end.

That was part of their attitude as BlackBerry people apparently don't need high-end specs. This might even be true, just with the bad taste that BlackBerry people who actually wanted those devices don't make up for a very high share of the market.

The Priv has a different aim, a different audience and a different OS, so yeah, it's probably not very good to compare it to BB10 devices. Nonetheless this is what people will do...

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-12-15 10:45 AM
    Ya but the passports form factor is not something everyone would use. And even counting that that's still only really 1 premium bb10 device they've realized. Even the z30 doesn't really stack up imo.

Posted via CB10
    There is much too much prejudice regarding the 'form factor' of the Passport. All the 'premium' features of all Passport models more than makeup for the learning curve related to using the Passport.

It took me only a few days to feel comfortable and productive with my Passports.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2789 on T-Mobile
    11-12-15 10:58 AM
    Let's be honest the priv is the first PREMIUM device BlackBerry has released. The Z10 and Q10 or even the Leap aren't premium compared to today's phones.
    Posted via CB10
    How would you expect devices released in 2013 to be Premium compared to today's phones? Most phones released almost 3 years ago aren't Premium today.
    11-12-15 11:08 AM
    There is much too much prejudice regarding the 'form factor' of the Passport. All the 'premium' features of all Passport models more than makeup for the learning curve related to using the Passport.

It took me only a few days to feel comfortable and productive with my Passports.

Prejudice to you is reality for most consumers. I played with Passport and the Width is the major deal breaker. Portability and ease to carry a phone around plays a big part. It is no different from a person preferring a 4.5" screen over a 5.5" screen. To say a user shunning a 5.5" screen is prejudiced is just as ridiculous.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-12-15 11:52 AM
    It lasts 2 days because of the dim lower resolution screen.
    I'm certain that was intentional. They went for Amoled 720p because they knew they could get the best bang for your buck on battery life.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    11-12-15 11:57 AM
    I'm certain that was intentional. They went for Amoled 720p because they knew they could get the best bang for your buck on battery life.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    And this is why Z30 didn't stand out when it was launched. Kinda like Plasmas as they look very dim and washed out in the showroom compared to the 100% lit LED TVs. And we all know how plasmas fared in the market despite having excellent picture quality. For this case, Z30 not only looked dim but also had lower resolution which was a double negative in showrooms. I saw Z30 displayed prominently at shops in HK when it was launched and it didn't stand out.
    11-12-15 12:18 PM
    I think the z10 was premium, when it was released. There were better cameras out there, but it was far from the worse. Every other spec was awesome compared to the standard of that day.
    11-12-15 12:41 PM
    Well BlackBerry pitched the Priv as a best of both worlds phone. Even most reviews draw some comparisons. So it's only natural the comparisons are happening.

But I do think the Priv was targeted more toward existing Android users rather than BB10 users.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 06:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Um, Z30 was pretty well equipped for its time.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 07:03 PM
    And this is why Z30 didn't stand out when it was launched. Kinda like Plasmas as they look very dim and washed out in the showroom compared to the 100% lit LED TVs. And we all know how plasmas fared in the market despite having excellent picture quality. For this case, Z30 not only looked dim but also had lower resolution which was a double negative in showrooms. I saw Z30 displayed prominently at shops in HK when it was launched and it didn't stand out.
    I agree with you 100% regarding the plasma comparison. As far as power consumption, LED hands down but picture quality was awesome on a calibrated plasma.

Now as far as resolution, i'm split on that. Truth be told, at normal view distances, you would be hard pressed to find any difference between a 5" 720P and 1080P phone, hence the reason reviewers have to resort to macro shots to show icon pixelation. Granted, I believe if they would have gone with 1080P, they would have sold more due to mass appeal, albeit at a cost to battery and compute power.
    web99 likes this.
    11-12-15 10:20 PM
    Prejudice to you is reality for most consumers. I played with Passport and the Width is the major deal breaker. Portability and ease to carry a phone around plays a big part. It is no different from a person preferring a 4.5" screen over a 5.5" screen. To say a user shunning a 5.5" screen is prejudiced is just as ridiculous.
    If you read through threads throughout CrackBerry, it is easy to identify comments from CrackBerrians who have prejudged the Passport form factor without experiencing it.

Like BlackBerry 10, some really fine BlackBerry devices have been prejudged and untried.

The fact remains BlackBerry 10.3.2.x married nicely to the 2013 through 2015 BlackBerry devices is truly extraordinary in the fundamental sense. But the dearth of a BlackBerry ecosystem has caused a great deal of prejudging of BlackBerry. Hence, what I have experienced and write regarding BlackBerry 10 is based on actual user experience.

Having said that, I will not prejudge the Priv, but I am following all the commentary and critiques with great fascination. I presently have no desire or overwhelming need to migrate at this time to BlackBerry Droid.

I use BlackBerry 10 extensively throughout my workday and feel there still remains a great deal of underlying utility for me to discover.

Finally, the word prejudice means to prejudge without knowledge or experience. At least you physically tried a Passport and from knowledge and experience decided it was not for you. I, on the other hand, wonder where this great phone, the Passport, was prior to September 2014. It is simply the best phone I have ever used even without an ecosystem.

bh7171 likes this.
    11-12-15 10:51 PM
35 12