Thanks Kronk. I am telling everyone on CB or otherwise, RIM recommends a hard reset for certain issues. And no dispespect, but all other "OPINIONS" are meaningless, because the MANUFACTURER recommends this. IMO, end of story, there not much room for debate. In my mind, the only debate would be when to do it, not should it be done.
    Well, that should shut down this thread in a hurry....

A month or so back, I noticed a hairline crack in the back cover of my Curve. Now, I have a gel skin on my Curve, so the hairline crack does not give me any trouble; but I rely on the double soft reset, rather than pulling my battery, because I fear that otherwise I'd have to get a new back plate. (Might do that anyway...)
    08-05-08 07:43 PM
    Learn something new everyday!
    08-05-08 07:46 PM
    WOW. That is all I have to say.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-08 07:51 PM
    Removing the battery and removing the battery with the device powered on are very different. Still don't see any advantage to pulling the battery with the device powered up and I can see the bad that could possibly happen.
    08-05-08 08:50 PM
    Removing the battery and removing the battery with the device powered on are very different.
    I agree, and as a USAF electronics technician I don't recommend frequent battery pulls either. However, nowhere in RIM's user guides does it say to power off before pulling the battery.

This thread was not meant to start any arguments or provoke anyone. It is meant to show in "black and white" what RIM says about resetting a device.
    08-06-08 02:15 AM
    Here is how I come down on this, and granted I am an Accountant,
    so I profess no superior knowledge into electronics.

Take a look a all the times a battery pull has been
    recommended here, on Pinstack, BBF, etc...

How many times has anyone seen a person come back
    saying, "that killed my BB". Now how many times have you seen
    someone come back and say "Thank You, that worked"

'Nuff said, IMO.
    08-06-08 02:26 AM
    I usually recommend a hard reset when the berry is having a "stupid" moment, but generally clean up the memory by deleting old email, texts, call logs and browser history the usual way.

08-06-08 02:33 AM
    ALT+RIGHT SHIFT+DEL, wait till it starts to boot up and do it again
    Does that work for the 8100? Never mind, I'll try it and find out for myself.

ETA: read the link someone posted to RIM, it doesn't work for the Pearl.....another reason to upgrade-lol
    Last edited by dlgus; 08-06-08 at 07:22 AM.
    08-06-08 07:16 AM
    ...Take a look a all the times a battery pull has been recommended here, on Pinstack, BBF, etc...

How many times has anyone seen a person come back
    saying, "that killed my BB".
    Now how many times have you seen
    someone come back and say "Thank You, that worked"...
    It only takes once when you're the guy that just assured somebody that it was perfectly safe....I've been a little more cautious since this unfortunate incident: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/ghos...-appear-51235/

Maybe the battery pull had nothing to do with it. Maybe it was going to happen anyway. But I still felt responsible.

I'm not arguing against doing the battery pull. Sometimes it's all you can do. But I'll try a soft reset first, and if that won't work, then I'll do the battery pull, knowing and accepting the very slight risk. And that's how I'll explain it to newbies when giving advice.
    08-06-08 08:04 AM
    Why waste the time to pull the battery when allt + shift + del will do the same thing.

Nice for those of us with cases too.

08-06-08 08:11 AM
    Why waste the time to pull the battery when allt + shift + del will do the same thing.

Because it doesn't work on a Pearl.
    08-06-08 08:23 AM

Because it doesn't work on a Pearl.
    And also it technically does not do the same thing

A 'normal' soft reset does not do the same as a hard reset (batt pull)... but a 'double soft' reset does. Please take the time to look at my posts earlier in this thread and read the link I posted!
    08-06-08 08:26 AM
    RIM's official reply to resetting devices. I like the bold section

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support regarding the different ways to reset a BlackBerry smartphone.

Here is a link to an article in our BlackBerry Technical Solution Center that contains a description of the difference between a hard and soft reset and the reasons for using each of them.

Article Title: KB03903

Article Number: Differences between hard, soft, and master resets

Link: BlackBerry Search Results

The information contained in this article may be used for your reference regarding the issue, however we are unable to provide you with an official statement advising one type of reset over another.

Hopefully the information in this document will answer your questions.

Should you require further information on this subject, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting us, John.

We appreciate your interest in the BlackBerry solution and hope you have a great day.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    Tel:
    NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    Europe: +44 1753 558400
    Worldwide: +1-519-888-6181
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: BlackBerry
    08-06-08 08:46 AM
    I agree, and as a USAF electronics technician I don't recommend frequent battery pulls either. However, nowhere in RIM's user guides does it say to power off before pulling the battery.

This thread was not meant to start any arguments or provoke anyone. It is meant to show in "black and white" what RIM says about resetting a device.
    Since my 8830 is encased in an Otterbox, almost like being encased in cement, I don't do a Battery Pull very often - just too much effort. I have been using the Double Reset when having difficulty or memory issues. When a Reset has absolutely failed, I have de-Ottered my BB and pulled the battery.

As for pulling batteries when it is powered on - this is kind of like having a Tivo DVR - the Tivo does not have a power switch. It does not even have a graceful "shut down" like Windows. If you need to reboot the Tivo, you unceremoniously pull out the PLUG. Wait a few reasonable seconds and plug it back in. That is the way it was designed.
    08-06-08 09:00 AM
    Since my 8830 is encased in an Otterbox, almost like being encased in cement, I don't do a Battery Pull very often - just too much effort. I have been using the Double Reset when having difficulty or memory issues. When a Reset has absolutely failed, I have de-Ottered my BB and pulled the battery.
    I don't even have mine in a case and I don't do battery pulls unless the berry freezes on me and soft reset won't work.
    08-06-08 09:04 AM
    i just use the shortcut alt+shift+delete. no idea if it's "the same" as a batt pull, but way easier, especially when the otterbox is on. and it seems to work, and free memory etc.
    08-06-08 09:09 AM
    i just use the shortcut alt+shift+delete. no idea if it's "the same" as a batt pull, but way easier, especially when the otterbox is on. and it seems to work, and free memory etc.
    Please take the time to read the entire thread...

this has been asked a number of times and I have answered!

No, a soft reset is not the same as a battery pull

A double soft reset is nearly the same as a hard reset

I posted a link explaining all of this earlier in the thread...

Like many others, I do not do a battery pull unless it is absolutely necessary! I usually do a daily soft reset and a weekly 'double soft'
    08-06-08 09:14 AM
    ...Like many others, I do not do a battery pull unless it is absolutely necessary!...
    Exactly the point of my cautionary tale. If something less will solve the problem, do it. And I will never again tell somebody it's perfectly safe. It's only worth the risk when you've exhausted all other options, or you never had any other options in the first place...
    08-06-08 09:20 AM
    I'm not arguing against doing the battery pull. Sometimes it's all you can do. But I'll try a soft reset first, and if that won't work, then I'll do the battery pull, knowing and accepting the very slight risk. And that's how I'll explain it to newbies when giving advice.
    Point taken, and given the thread you posted I will modify the
    suggestion I give to include this advice.
    08-06-08 10:28 AM
    So we're all in agreement? For those of us that try to answer questions where the "old" answer was "try a battery pull", we're now united in saying "Try a Soft reset and if that doesn't work, try a double reset"? [with appropriate explanations as necessary?]

and as an aside... "double reset" always makes me say (with that little voice in my head) "double secret probation"
    08-06-08 07:04 PM
    and as an aside... "double reset" always makes me say (with that little voice in my head) "double secret probation"
    You're an odd, odd man.

08-06-08 07:27 PM
    So we're all in agreement? For those of us that try to answer questions where the "old" answer was "try a battery pull", we're now united in saying "Try a Soft reset and if that doesn't work, try a double reset"? [with appropriate explanations as necessary?]

Yup!! The agreement pact has been drafted and signed

For the record, if the "Soft Reset" does not work... it is most likely the "Double Soft" will not

And it is always good to have this article handy : How do I reset my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
    08-06-08 10:00 PM
    i will keep doing battery pulls and they will keep getting the job done
    you fellas can keep doing your double tripple secret resets or whatever floats your boat
    08-06-08 10:24 PM
    Lol

08-06-08 10:47 PM
    I have had 2 situations where my BB competely froze and soft/double soft resets would not even work.

BTW there are 2 two brand new battery pull threads so they will be merged. No reason to have two of the same threads going seperatley.
    I've owned 5 blackberries and never seen a brick resulting from a battery pull. By the time you wear out your battery cover, it will be time for a new berry. I pull my battery regularly (not everyday or anything like that). I've seen performance increases as a result of doing it "the hard way".
    08-06-08 11:04 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD