This thread is meant to clear up the fog surrounding the battery pull and what RIM recommends. It has nothing to do with memory management, how the garbage collector works, or the JVM.

According to page 221 of the BB Curve 8310 User Guide online PDF, found HERE, as well as the 8100 guide that I also checked, RIM's method of resetting the device is to remove and reinsert the battery. Check out the User Guide yourself, under the "Power, battery, and memory" section, or see the image below:

08-05-08 06:55 PM
    I am sure this will stir up another debate
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-05-08 at 07:00 PM.
    08-05-08 06:57 PM
    Ok, I know there has been speculation as to weather or not it is "technically" ok or not to pull the battery... Well, I'm here to tell you that it IS alright, and RIM actually recommends it to cure 95% of small common problems associated with Blackberry devices. Below is a link from RIM Tech Support on How-To preform a Hard Reset. I hope everyone is now clear on this issue.

RIM\How-To Preform Hard Reset
    08-05-08 06:58 PM
    Thanks for the info. I know there are debates on whether to do soft or double soft resets or even battery pulls. But I have had times where my BB completely froze and soft resets would not even happen. It was completely frozen. I have always been behind the battery pull for a true reset.

Thanks for posting this info!
    08-05-08 06:59 PM
    This is very interesting and seems to contradict some "well-versed" CB members!!

Maybe this will clear up the confusion... but for the time being, I have no opinion. I will stick with double soft resets like I have all along!!
    08-05-08 07:06 PM
    This is what i have been saying all along. If battery pulls honestly posed a threat, there would be tons and tons of threads about peoples phones bricking after a pull.

This puts it to rest...officially. Good work man
    08-05-08 07:06 PM
    I will continue doing soft resets unless I have an actual hardware error, mostly because it's quicker and puts less wear-n-tear on the battery cover and latch. I just put it out there for others to make their own decision.
    08-05-08 07:10 PM
    This could turn into a heated battle. I can't wait!
    08-05-08 07:12 PM
    Good work Kronk, i agree with you on the soft reset regarding the actual hardware wear and tear. But just like i said in jmcs post, its good this issue has been put to rest. Nothing wrong with a good ol' battery pull
    08-05-08 07:12 PM
    My related thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/fact...dations-58878/

And in case anyone has questions on when to do a hard reset:

The following table shows the possible reasons for performing a hard reset on a BlackBerry device.

Issues Reasons
    Network

Handheld displays an X beside the coverage indicator.
    Handheld displays GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) or lower case gprs (General Packet Radio Service) as the network status indicator.
    User is unable to send or receive messages on the handheld.

Software

User receives an error code on the handheld.
    Applications do not appear to be functioning correctly.
    Desktop Manager is stuck at “working” status when the handheld is connected.
    Bluetooth is not detected.

Hardware

Handheld display is hard to read. For example, the display shows lines obscuring text.
    Keypad is not functioning correctly. For example, keys do not work, the trackwheel is not functioning correctly, or the handheld does not turn on.
    08-05-08 07:16 PM
    This is very interesting and seems to contradict some "well-versed" CB members!!

Maybe this will clear up the confusion... but for the time being, I have no opinion. I will stick with double soft resets like I have all along!!

I have had 2 situations where my BB competely froze and soft/double soft resets would not even work.

BTW there are 2 two brand new battery pull threads so they will be merged. No reason to have two of the same threads going seperatley.
    08-05-08 07:17 PM
    Excellent find. I did find the same info in the manual for
    the 8100. Good to know it is RIM's recommended method.
    08-05-08 07:19 PM
    I have had 2 situations where my BB competely froze and soft/double soft resets would not even work.

BTW there are 2 two brand new battery pull threads so they will be merged. No reason to have two of the same threads going seperatley.
    Yeah, I understand there are dire situations when a battery pull is needed (such as device lock-up)

I am going to sit back and watch this one unfold because I know there are strong opinions on this topic!
    08-05-08 07:19 PM

What exactly is a "double soft reset?"
    08-05-08 07:21 PM
    I will continue doing soft resets unless I have an actual hardware error, mostly because it's quicker and puts less wear-n-tear on the battery cover and latch. I just put it out there for others to make their own decision.
    I do the same, Kronk. Nice thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-08 07:24 PM
    ALT+RIGHT SHIFT+DEL, wait till it starts to boot up and do it again
    08-05-08 07:24 PM
    ALT+RIGHT SHIFT+DEL, wait till it starts to boot up and do it again
    Does there seem to be a significant difference in doing a single soft reset versus a double soft reset?
    08-05-08 07:26 PM
    Does there seem to be a significant difference in doing a single soft reset versus a double soft reset?
    Im embarassed to have never heard of a "double" soft reset until now, i didnt even know anything about it. So i am also curious as to how this is better than just the regular soft reset.
    08-05-08 07:29 PM
    Garz, when you merged the threads we lost J_MC's information, which was actually found in a different place than mine.

EDIT: Disregard this post. I didn't see that the threads were sorted by post times...
    Last edited by Kronk; 08-05-08 at 07:45 PM. Reason: I'm braindead
    08-05-08 07:29 PM
    Im embarassed to have never heard of a "double" soft reset until now, i didnt even know anything about it. So i am also curious as to how this is better than just the regular soft reset.
    A double soft reset is to be equal to a hard reset/battery pull.
    08-05-08 07:30 PM
    Found it again. Credit goes to J_MC for this find.

How to perform a hard reset on a BlackBerry smartphone or RIM device
    08-05-08 07:30 PM
    How do I reset my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ <<< Read this for info on Soft, Double Soft and Hard Resets!
    08-05-08 07:32 PM
    Found it again. Credit goes to J_MC for this find.

How to perform a hard reset on a BlackBerry smartphone or RIM device
    Thanks Kronk. I am telling everyone on CB or otherwise, RIM recommends a hard reset for certain issues. And no dispespect, but all other "OPINIONS" are meaningless, because the MANUFACTURER recommends this. IMO, end of story, there not much room for debate. In my mind, the only debate would be when to do it, not should it be done.
    08-05-08 07:35 PM
    How do I reset my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ <<< Read this for info on Soft, Double Soft and Hard Resets!
    Thank you, good to know
    08-05-08 07:35 PM
    Good to see some FACTS... Just my .02

Also just FYI I am awaiting official statement from RIM in what warnings or problems, etc. can come from these... I don't think there will be any, they will more likely laugh at me.......

A soft reset is often used to re-establish communication between the handheld and your personal computer. A soft reset is an alternative to a hard reset. It stops all applications running on the BlackBerry Wireless Handheld, then restarts them. To perform a soft reset on your handheld, pressALT-CAP-DELETE.

The following table shows the possible reasons for performing a hard reset on a BlackBerry device.

Issues Reasons Network
    • Handheld displays an X beside the coverage indicator.
    • Handheld displays GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) or lower case gprs (General Packet Radio Service) as the network status indicator.
    • User is unable to send or receive messages on the handheld.
    Software
    • User receives an error code on the handheld.
    • Applications do not appear to be functioning correctly.
    • Desktop Manager is stuck at “working” status when the handheld is connected.
    • Bluetooth is not detected.
    Hardware
    • Handheld display is hard to read. For example, the display shows lines obscuring text.
    • Keypad is not functioning correctly. For example, keys do not work, the trackwheel is not functioning correctly, or the handheld does not turn on.
    08-05-08 07:43 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD