I'm new to BB but not inept. I read every page of the WiFi How 2 and can't find a damn thing on using WiFi without a SIM card installed.

WiFi Diagnostics says everything is smooth...I have a MAC addy and an IP addy. When I view my WiFi connection it shows my desired wireless connection is hot and I get the little subdued WiFi symbol on my home screen. HOWEVER when I fire up the browser I get "The browser cannot display the web page because the handgeld does not contain a valid SIM card"........

WTF? Any work around, or do I have to pay Korean LG Dacom $50 a month for no damn reason?????
    05-06-09 12:35 PM
    I always thought that you had to have the phone connected to a wireless carrier via the SIM card in order to use WiFi. Am I wrong about this?
    05-06-09 12:38 PM
    I've never heard of someone trying to use this device without a SIM card.
    05-06-09 12:43 PM
    I'm living in Korea and have no use for a cell phone. I do however live with an iTouch that serves as a PDA to keep my life somewhat organized. The iTouch has no issues connecting with an unlocked WiFi connection. Why would RIM force me to have a SIM card?
    05-06-09 12:54 PM
    I'm on TMO and I have a router. I get the exact same message as you. I was trying to use favorite addresses that were already in the phone. I just clicked ok on the no sim message and typed in another addy and it works. This is on my older BB (Pearl) which has no sim card and I can connect to wifi in my home and other places
    05-06-09 02:08 PM
    Did you make sure the Browser was set to Hotspot?

Browser > BB Button > Options > Browser Configuration > Browser = Hotspot
    Browser > BB Button > Options > General Properties > Browser = Hotspot
    05-06-09 02:21 PM
    ARI you're a genius. Somehow I missed the option under Browser Config. You'd think they would be tied together to simplify things a bit. Thanks
    05-07-09 09:33 AM
    No problem, enjoy!
    05-07-09 09:35 AM
    Hmm..my blackberry wasn't set to hotspot and I could still use wi-fi without my sim card (it was in my other berry)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-09 10:09 AM
    Awww man, now you've done it, gone and called Ari a genius! He'll be insufferable the rest of the day,

I can hear him now! "See what he said, Mike, I'm a genius, har de har de har har"

05-07-09 01:37 PM
    Awww man, now you've done it, gone and called Ari a genius! He'll be insufferable the rest of the day,

I can hear him now! "See what he said, Mike, I'm a genius, har de har de har har"

Day!!! It'll be a WEEK!!!

Nice catch aristile... I did not think it was that simple... but I learned another new thing today!!!
    05-07-09 02:15 PM

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA ... quit bustin my chops, dad!!
    05-07-09 05:24 PM
    I can't get my wifi to work without my SIM card or cell network turned on. I want to be able to browse, bbm and e-mail overseas, ideally for free.
    05-02-10 07:16 PM
    I can't get my wifi to work without my SIM card or cell network turned on. I want to be able to browse, bbm and e-mail overseas, ideally for free.
    Only the web browser will work without a SIM. You must have an active SIM and a BIS data plan for push email and BBM. No way around it.

05-02-10 09:35 PM
    If I get a different SIM card in another country I will still get BBM and my emails correct? I'll just have a different phone number.
    05-03-10 06:11 AM
    As long as your BIS account is active which means your T-Mobile must remain active or you will need to add a BIS service onto your foreign SIM.
    05-03-10 07:03 AM
    Also will I be charged data roaming while I'm on wifi?
    05-03-10 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD