The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
    Troubled RIM hasn't asked for any more government funding, says Nova Scotia
    By: The Canadian Press
    5/07/2012 5:14 PM | Comments: 0
    HALIFAX - Embattled smartphone maker Research in Motion hasn't asked Nova Scotia for any more money as it contends with faltering sales and eroding stock price, the province's economic development minister said Thursday.
    Percy Paris told reporters the province has already given RIM millions of dollars over the past four years, and he's hopeful the company will continue to have a presence in Nova Scotia.
    "I'm very pleased to have RIM in the province of Nova Scotia," he said. "They've been a good employer for hundreds of people in the province and I hope that they're going to be here for many years to come."
    RIM, which has an office in the Halifax suburb of Bedford, said last week it would lay off about 5,000 employees globally as costs are slashed across the company.
    It also shocked the market by delaying its BlackBerry 10 operating system, which was widely considered a last-ditch effort to save the company.
    Chief executive Thorsten Heins said Tuesday he was confident the company would get past its challenges, insisting RIM isn't in a "death spiral."
    Staff with the province's Economic and Rural Development and Tourism Department said Thursday that Nova Scotia has already handed $5 million to RIM for training and new equipment.
    As well, RIM (TSX:RIM) was told in 2008 that it had the opportunity to get about $14 million in payroll rebates if it created 1,200 jobs in five years.
    Now, in the fourth year of the program, RIM has created about 540 jobs.
    As a result, the company has been handed $7.9 million in payroll rebates.
    "RIM has not approached our department for other tools or incentives," Paris said.
    Premier Darrell Dexter said the province had no plans to offer the company more incentives to keep the jobs in Nova Scotia.
    07-06-12 12:19 AM
    This doesn't really seem like news. Nova Scotia said they weren't asked.

It's surprising to me that it 'shocked the market by delaying its BlackBerry 10 operating system' since the market doesn't even seem to know about it.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    07-06-12 12:49 AM
    This doesn't really seem like news. Nova Scotia said they weren't asked.

It's surprising to me that it 'shocked the market by delaying its BlackBerry 10 operating system' since the market doesn't even seem to know about it.
    It's news in respect to the fact they're not asking the Government to help bail them out.
    07-06-12 12:58 AM
    It's news in respect to the fact they're not asking the Government to help bail them out.
    Wouldn't you have to be in debt before you can ask for a bailout?
    07-06-12 01:05 AM
    Breaking news:

RIM isn't going to enter fast foot industry. Mcdonalds was not approached as possible partner.
    Last edited by hurds; 07-06-12 at 02:29 AM.
    dusdal, Masahiro and BB10FTW like this.
    07-06-12 02:27 AM
    Breaking news:

RIM isn't going to enter fast foot industry. Mcdonalds was not approached as possible partner.
    There goes my idea for a blackberry mcmuffin.
    07-06-12 06:49 AM
    I didn't realize companies received government payments in the first place? Is this a standard practice?

Are Google and Apple given government money ever year in a similar manner?

I had no clue this existed.
    07-06-12 06:52 AM
    I didn't realize companies received government payments in the first place? Is this a standard practice?

Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

They get enough loop holes, tax breaks and ways to hide money here already.
    07-06-12 06:57 AM

it is called incentives for industries to create jobs locally and it is done by states and municipalities in all kinds of shapes, it has been going on forever now
    brucep1 likes this.
    07-06-12 06:59 AM
    Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

They get enough loop holes, tax breaks and ways to hide money here already.
    I'm sure similar tax breaks and money hiding opportunities exist in Canada.

But I find the whole government just writing them a check pretty weird. Perhaps it's standard practice and not unusual there.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-06-12 06:59 AM
    I'm sure similar tax breaks and money hiding opportunities exist in Canada.

But I find the whole government just writing them a check pretty weird. Perhaps it's standard practice and not unusual there.
    Well, they can tax the workers till they have nothing ( what is it? Around 70% of what we earn goes out on taxes) but huge companies get a cheque.

By the way, General Motors has moved production to China using the bailout money, nice isn't it?
    07-06-12 07:07 AM
    it is called incentives for industries to create jobs locally and it is done by states and municipalities in all kinds of shapes, it has been going on forever now
    Ok, is this done in the US as well?
    07-06-12 07:12 AM
    Wouldn't you have to be in debt before you can ask for a bailout?
    Pay no attention to the $2.2 billion in cash piled behind the curtain.
    07-06-12 07:15 AM

Apple don't need to, they keep their costs down by using Chinese sweat shops.
    07-06-12 07:15 AM
    Apple don't need to, they keep their costs down by using Chinese sweat shops.
    Troll attempt: 6/10

Please stay on topic.

It's not a matter of need. Just want info here.
    07-06-12 07:19 AM
    Troll attempt: 6/10

Please stay on topic.

It's not a matter of need. Just want info here.
    I was, and how can someone troll about apple in a blackberry forum....scratches head.
    07-06-12 07:22 AM
    Well, they can tax the workers till they have nothing ( what is it? Around 70% of what we earn goes out on taxes) but huge companies get a cheque.

By the way, General Motors has moved production to China using the bailout money, nice isn't it?
    It's also wonderful we have many companies with fake headquarters in Switzerland or somewhere which enables them to avoid paying taxes here where they really have a headquarters. Gotta love our brain dead take the most from those who have the least government and allow companies to pay nothing and continue with record profits.

Oops did it again.
    07-06-12 07:31 AM
    It's also wonderful we have many companies with fake headquarters in Switzerland or somewhere which enables them to avoid paying taxes here where they really have a headquarters. Gotta love our brain dead take the most from those who have the least government and allow companies to pay nothing and continue with record profits.

Oops did it again.
    I remember reading about Google paying less than 5% in taxes by channeling it's revenue through another country (Ireland maybe?). Yes, the American tax system is a big mess.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-06-12 07:39 AM
    I remember reading about Google paying less than 5% in taxes by channeling it's revenue through another country (Ireland maybe?). Yes, the American tax system is a big mess.
    Apple is just as bad.

http://zolmax.com/report-alleges-apple-is-not-paying-millions-in-taxes/296291/
    07-06-12 07:41 AM
    I was, and how can someone troll about apple in a blackberry forum....scratches head.
    From Kevin:

Trolls don't fit into the above. I have no issue with people saying negative things about BlackBerry. Over the years we've always kept these forums very open and loosely moderated. I don't like to clamp down on conversation, and I don't expect everybody on these forums to get along. I've used the analogy before that we call ourselves Crackberry Nation, and if you think smaller -- like the city you live in -- not everybody gets a long as one big happy family. There's some people you'll like, and some people you won't. The diversity and varying points of view are what make this forum awesome. But having something negative to say based on a formed opinion when you put it out there is one thing, and simply chiming in with crap to stir the pot is another. Just like nations put away the unsavory of society (they go to jail as they're not wanted walking the streets), we're going to do the same here with trolls. If you can't respect the community and its members, it's time for you to leave.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-06-12 07:42 AM
    My response was directed more at the mess that is the American tax system, not the companies using it to their advantage.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-06-12 07:43 AM
    From Kevin:
    Despite my post being frivilous it was also true.

You asked to stay on topic but now have used more off topic thread space up with this flim flam making something bigger than it is.

No further dialogue. Thank you
    brucep1 likes this.
    07-06-12 07:46 AM
    My response was directed more at the mess that is the American tax system, not the companies using it to their advantage.
    I disagree, I think they know exactly what they're doing. It's like that on purpose. And not just USA.
    07-06-12 07:52 AM
    I disagree, I think they know exactly what they're doing. It's like that on purpose. And not just USA.
    Of course they know what they are doing. It's not illegal.

The government doesn't need any handouts. If the tax code allows a company to pay a lower tax, they should. If the government wants them to pay more, change the system.
    07-06-12 08:01 AM

All the governments do it to attract employers to their state/region.

Here is one example.

EERE News: DOE Highlights New GE Appliance Factory in Kentucky

GE moved the operation from China to Louisville's Appliance Park, the first facility to open there in more than 50 years. The plant revitalization was partially funded through a manufacturing tax credit of $24.8 million under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, and has already created hundreds of jobs in Kentucky.
    brucep1 and MasterOfBinary like this.
    07-06-12 08:08 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD