Is bb messenger really free?

Ok , I see there�s a lot of you crackheads who have unlimited this, unlimited that�well I don�t have that. And to tell u the truth�im quite bitter.

I have a 4mb plan�.if a receive a large amount of emails for the month and go over my 4mb�I will be charged the extra amount�my question is does the same apply to bb messenger. If I do a large amount of chatting on bb messenger can that result in me going over my 4mb thus me paying extra because I wet over my limit because of too much chatting?
    06-08-08 08:38 PM
    It's my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that BB messenger uses data.

On a side note, I was reading your post and got to the part when you said you only had a 4MB plan. I figured you must be from Canada...and sure enough you're on Rogers. Us Canadians get screwed on data plans (although I do have unlimited data thanks to Telus).
    06-08-08 08:58 PM
    Yes, BBM uses data from your 4MB plan. Your carrier is weak!
    06-08-08 09:09 PM
    Im sorry to hear about your plan. Welcome to cb!
    06-08-08 09:14 PM
    Yes. Messenger uses data and not SMS. Do you have unlimited texting? You could just use that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-08 09:31 PM
    BBM uses very small amounts of data, so unless you are sending voice notes or pics, it won't eat up much data. E-mail and internet usage are the real bandwidth hogs. Is there an intermediate plan bigger than 4 MB, but not Unlimited?

06-08-08 09:46 PM
    i know everybody has bills to pay( my wife is a stay-at-home mom & I have 2 kids), so I know about bills....and I'm unfamiliar with your carrier.. so I don't want to sound ignorant, and I'm sure this has crossed your mind..but wouldn't it be easier to get unlimited?? yeah it's extra $$, but look at what you'd gain...all the usage you can handle, and less STRESS worrying about if you went over this month or not!!!
    06-08-08 09:51 PM
    His carrier does not have an unlimited plan.

They do offer others with more MB's for more, although no where near as cheap as the US carriers plans.
    06-08-08 10:02 PM
    O....WOW...sucks to be in Canada huh??? sorry..I wish you the best of luck
    06-08-08 10:05 PM
    Without an unlimited plan, blackberries are dangerous, in my opinion!! Anyhow, if your carrier doesn't offer unlimited data, be careful about emailing and browser use. The bbm doesn't use a terrible amount of data, but I would still watch the amount of data you are using month to month. If you use it a lot, I would try to just stick to texting.

06-08-08 10:12 PM
    Baaah humbug! I’m on a corporate plan and don’t really want to come off it. Rogers does provide unlimited however for some reason I think that within a couple of months they’ll switch the terms there no longer be unlimited data then I n screwed telling myself I should of stayed on my corporate data plan……do u think it worth it. Should I stay on the corporate plan or switch?
    06-08-08 10:12 PM
    if you can leave the corporate plan, and get back on with out it being a problem and not too much of a hassle, I'd get the unlimited while it's there... but thats me, I know how much I use my CB.. GL and welcome
    06-08-08 10:27 PM
    Baaah humbug! I�m on a corporate plan and don�t really want to come off it. Rogers does provide unlimited however for some reason I think that within a couple of months they�ll switch the terms there no longer be unlimited data then I n screwed telling myself I should of stayed on my corporate data plan��do u think it worth it. Should I stay on the corporate plan or switch?
    What are you paying?

Have you checked out Howard Forums to compare your plan? I find that generally people think they are getting a better deal then they are.
    06-08-08 10:30 PM
    im paying 4mb for 25 bucks....howard forums.....wow....thanks for the site.....
    Last edited by Dita; 06-08-08 at 10:37 PM.
    06-08-08 10:33 PM
    Is bb messenger really free?

Ok , I see there’s a lot of you crackheads who have unlimited this, unlimited that…well I don’t have that. And to tell u the truth…im quite bitter.

I have a 4mb plan….if a receive a large amount of emails for the month and go over my 4mb…I will be charged the extra amount…my question is does the same apply to bb messenger. If I do a large amount of chatting on bb messenger can that result in me going over my 4mb thus me paying extra because I wet over my limit because of too much chatting?
    On another note... I would very seriously suggest that you increase your data plan... 4mb will be eaten up by your BlackBerry in absolutely no time.

I never thought I was very data intensive on my blackberry... just use JiveTalk, WeatherEye, BB Messenger, Viigo and do a very small amount of web browsing. In less than a month I had used a little over 50megs.

If you can only justify/afford 4mb a month I would suggest you cancel it and turn data services on you phone off... otherwise I'm afraid you're going to end up with a $500 phone bill!
    Last edited by CrackdBanker; 06-08-08 at 10:37 PM.
    06-08-08 10:34 PM
    And it seems like if they sign you up for a unlimited plan they'd have to honor that, that is prolly if you renewed your contract at the time you sign up

06-08-08 10:34 PM
    Sorry... another post.

If you want to see what kind of data usage people have check this out http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/why-...ta-plan-40611/
    06-08-08 10:38 PM
    Rogers is Canada's only GSM carrier and they can do anything they want because they have the backing of the government and the CRTC.

OP has a 4 Mb cap and he will be paying $10 Mb for overuse. That is a couple refreshes of my Google home page.

There are larger caps available, I am thinking about the 50 Mb plan for myself, perhaps even the maxed out 2 Gb plan.

The only ray of hope is that big European carrier setting up shop here.... bring on the unlimited UMA plan.
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-08-08 at 11:00 PM.
    06-08-08 10:57 PM
    im paying 4mb for 25 bucks....howard forums.....wow....thanks for the site.....
    Yea, you need to switch carriers if it's possible, most people pay 19.99 or 29.99 for unlimited data, you're paying $25 for 4MB... Extreme rip-off.
    06-08-08 11:10 PM
    Yea, you need to switch carriers if it's possible, most people pay 19.99 or 29.99 for unlimited data, you're paying $25 for 4MB... Extreme rip-off.
    It's important to note that cell phone plan prices are higher in Canada than the US.

Unlimited data on Telus, with voicemail and text messaging is $45
    06-08-08 11:12 PM
    $25 for 4MB? We have unlimited for $30 here in the US. Sucks to live in Canada with a BB.
    06-08-08 11:17 PM
    It's important to note that cell phone plan prices are higher in Canada than the US.

Unlimited data on Telus, with voicemail and text messaging is $45
    Oh ok, but still, if $45 is the normal there for unlimited... you would think that $25 can get you a little more than FOUR MB... That's just ridiculous.
    06-08-08 11:18 PM
    Yea 4MB is nothing. I would really consider getting unlimited data if you can.
    06-08-08 11:26 PM
    Yeah, I don't know what you would have to do, but try to find a bigger data plan. I'm glad I live in the US!

06-08-08 11:31 PM
    in Rogers' defense, they do offer unlimited data plans...whoever in regards to my situation its kinda different, im on a corporate plan (a crappy one) and im not a new customer to rogers...data plans here in Canada are not that bad...but i have to say in the states ya'lls plans are RIDONKCULOUS!!!
    06-09-08 12:48 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD