Hello everyone,

Have any of you ever tried to get pictures off a handheld camera into your blackberry using some sort of USB method and software?

I'm just wondering because I would like to post pictures from my camera up on the web even if I can't get to an internet connection while I'm international. (such as on a blog of some sorts)

I think I can find a blog site that will allow me to make posts through email so if I could attach these pictures to the email that would be perfect.

I did already purchase a Canon SD1000 if that makes any difference in responses.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pooger; 01-16-08 at 05:12 PM.
    01-16-08 05:06 PM
    Only thing I can think of is a bluetooth camera. Might work.
    01-16-08 05:10 PM
    Copy the pics to your pc, then copy them to your BB....It's not really what you're looking for, I know, but I don't think there's anything out there for that. It's made to snap pics with the BB and then email those.
    01-16-08 05:45 PM
    Your camera uses SD, so I think you could put your microSD in an adapter, use it in the camera, then put it in your BB. But after typing all that, it wouldn't save it in the right folder, would it?
    01-16-08 06:10 PM
    Your camera uses SD, so I think you could put your microSD in an adapter, use it in the camera, then put it in your BB. But after typing all that, it wouldn't save it in the right folder, would it?
    oh interesting idea.

my sd card did come with an adapter.

can you use normal micro sd cards like that in the new cameras?
    01-16-08 08:00 PM
    You can try that. However, the formatting may be different between the devices and it probably won't work. Post back the results, though. I'd be interested to see if it works.
    01-16-08 09:08 PM
    When you use your digital camera, it automatically creates a folder for you. Once you load that microSD to your BlackBerry, you can browse the folders that was created and just open one folder at a time.

This works as long as the microSD card you use with your camera is supported. Meaning, if you have a microSD with adapter that is 6GB capacity memory card, and your BB device can only support 4GB, then you are out of luck. You won't be able to browse the photos taken. So I would suggest, make sure to get a capacity that will be supported by your BB.

As for saving pictures, if your purpose is just to post these photos online to share and not really print, then I would set it to a lower quality or smaller size photos. Loading these photos into your BB is such a pain It takes awhile to load and browse them. And not only that too, emailing them too will take forever... so yeah, it is frustrating. Since you are on vacation anyway, you have spare time to email them when you are taking a break or something.
    01-16-08 10:37 PM
    Here's a picture I took using my Canon PowerShot A610 and emailed to myself using my BlackBerry Curve. Took 17 minutes to email this size of photo.

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik...786122fec97bcf
    01-16-08 10:53 PM
    When you use your digital camera, it automatically creates a folder for you. Once you load that microSD to your BlackBerry, you can browse the folders that was created and just open one folder at a time.

This works as long as the microSD card you use with your camera is supported. Meaning, if you have a microSD with adapter that is 6GB capacity memory card, and your BB device can only support 4GB, then you are out of luck. You won't be able to browse the photos taken. So I would suggest, make sure to get a capacity that will be supported by your BB.

As for saving pictures, if your purpose is just to post these photos online to share and not really print, then I would set it to a lower quality or smaller size photos. Loading these photos into your BB is such a pain It takes awhile to load and browse them. And not only that too, emailing them too will take forever... so yeah, it is frustrating. Since you are on vacation anyway, you have spare time to email them when you are taking a break or something.
    Awesome, so that means I need to buy only 4gb micro SD cards so that I can do this. I might print them one day when I get home, so I'm going to have to pick a resolution that isn't the best but somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for your help!
    01-17-08 02:14 AM
    Awesome, so that means I need to buy only 4gb micro SD cards so that I can do this. I might print them one day when I get home, so I'm going to have to pick a resolution that isn't the best but somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for your help!
    Don't know about your camera, but some will allow creation of reduced sized copies of images in the camera. My Nikon S550 does this on a picture by picture basis from the menu. It might be worth checking if your camera does something similar. This worked great for me for updating a journal on my recent bike tour. That was before I had a BB and I uploaded the pics using a Nokia N800 wifi tablet, but it should work with the BB just as well.

BTW: Enabling WiFi and connecting to a WiFi hotspot will speed the upload tremendously. Turn WiFi off when done though since it sucks battery life.
    09-18-09 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD