My Verizon Wireless Tour with recently sustained water damage after unfortunately being submerged in a pool for a few seconds.

The phone will boot into the OS and still has the correct number of unread messages listed on the top of the home screen, so I believe the on-board data has at least been partially retained. But the keyboard, side buttons, and trackball are nonfunctional. Furthermore, when I connect the phone to my computer via USB, Windows reports the device as malfunctioning, so I of course cannot utilize Blackberry Desktop Software to retrieve any data. Most of what I need is buried in various SMS messages, but I would of course like to retrieve everything

My only thought is to somehow remove the on-board flash memory from the damaged blackberry and transplant it into another device. I'm wondering how difficult this is if it is even feasible, as I have no knowledge of the architecture of the device. If anyone has done this or has any other ideas for retrieving the data, your responses would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
    05-30-12 01:36 PM
    I have not got a answer to your question but it may be worth considering that if you are going to get another BlackBerry and you had BlackBerry Protect installed your data will be synced to the new device.
    All I can offer i am afraid.
    05-30-12 03:31 PM
    Is your BlackBerry smartphone associated with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server? If yes, almost all content should be recoverable when you reactivate the smartphone or a new smartphone associated with the same email address. nIf no, situations like you encountered are the reason BlackBerry Protect should be enabled on the smartphone for BlackBerry Internet Service subscribers and its features w.r.t. backups enhanced to grab everything except applications.

Otherwise you can try the following with no guarantee of success. Take the battery cover off the smartphone, remove the battery / SIM / microSD card, place the smartphone into a plastic bag with white rice and seal the plastic bag for 72 hours. Remove the smartphone from the plastic bag, insert the battery, and boot the smartphone. Test if the keyboard responds. If unsuccessful. you could contact a forensic investigator to determine if they can extract the data. Another option is use Linux and LinBerry or Barry to retrieve the data.
    05-30-12 04:06 PM
    I have not got a answer to your question but it may be worth considering that if you are going to get another BlackBerry and you had BlackBerry Protect installed your data will be synced to the new device.
    All I can offer i am afraid.
    Yep.
    BB Protect is one of those things you never need until you need it . It is useful when moving from a dead device (besides a lost, misplaced BB etc)
    Desktop software tends to ask for the old device first before transferring to the new one but Protect just needs the BB ID.
    That phone is dead anyway so you will need a new one, dissecting it would be a fiddly affair unless you enjoy it of course. You shouldn't have switched it on until you had removed the battery and blown it with a hair drier thoroughly and immediately after taking it out of the water. It could have worked long enough to let you get your stuff back.
    05-30-12 05:01 PM
    I've saved my BB's from a few water immersions, besides the rice trick BB9700CA posted about, I have set my BB with battery cover off, battery and sim card removed on top of my router for a week strait with good results. The router generates enough heat to dry out the BB without getting it too hot.
    05-31-12 12:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD