So I have a BlackBerry Tour which I love. However, my organization does not. I use my BlackBerry a lot, and I also use Outlook a lot for calendars and e-mails. The problem is that my organization is non-profit and so it doesn't spend $$ on BES. This means that everyone and their uncle who has an iPhone gets perfect push e-mail and calendar syncing, and I'm left in a lurch with e-mail that takes a long time, doesn't send well and calendars that don't sync.

The way that I've dealt with it is using my Mac exchange support to copy all of the calendar events to my google calendar and then google syncing it up.

So my question is, will RIM ever drop BES completely and just go the way of everyone else and give us Exchange support out of the box? Also, are there any free solutions besides google sync that I can try?

Thanks!
    11-08-09 09:06 PM
    Drop BES? Unlikely, it's a huge profit center for them.

They're more likely open up BIS some to improve that functionality.

Does your organization give you OWA access? If so you can configure your work account in BIS to integrate that way. Here's a link to the steps: How To Receive Email On Your Blackberry From Outlook Web Access Account | BlackBerry Cool

When you login to BIS delete your work account. Click add account. Enter your email address, but in the password field enter a junk pw (like "asd"). Same for the confirm. Next. This is my work email account. Next. See thumbnail below... you'll select the bottom radio button. From there you should be able to follow the steps in the link I provided.

My work account's on BES so I haven't tried this myself, but it should work. Let us know.
    11-08-09 09:23 PM
    So I have a BlackBerry Tour which I love. However, my organization does not. I use my BlackBerry a lot, and I also use Outlook a lot for calendars and e-mails. The problem is that my organization is non-profit and so it doesn't spend $$ on BES. This means that everyone and their uncle who has an iPhone gets perfect push e-mail and calendar syncing, and I'm left in a lurch with e-mail that takes a long time, doesn't send well and calendars that don't sync.

The way that I've dealt with it is using my Mac exchange support to copy all of the calendar events to my google calendar and then google syncing it up.

So my question is, will RIM ever drop BES completely and just go the way of everyone else and give us Exchange support out of the box? Also, are there any free solutions besides google sync that I can try?

Thanks!
    Not sure you can implement this or not, but if you know your IT guy he may do it for you.

BlackBerry

Free BES/Single License.
    11-08-09 09:40 PM
    Not sure you can implement this or not, but if you know your IT guy he may do it for you.

BlackBerry

Free BES/Single License.
    I was going to suggest this as well. I think it will be your best bet
    11-08-09 09:45 PM
    It is a nice option. I left it out because of the extra $15/mo it'll cost the OP for the BES data service. But yeah, if they'll support it and pay for it you'll be golden
    11-08-09 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD