Here is a comparison I put together of how these two devices have evolved from their introduction to today.

Update 10/14/2011: Added the iPhone 4S
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 10-14-11 at 07:44 PM.
    grover5 and _StephenBB81 like this.
    07-27-11 03:54 PM
    missed 9650.

but it's a good comparison that it HAS changed and that everyone needs to stfu about how it's the same rehashed thing.
    07-27-11 03:57 PM
    not to much change for either if you look at just those shots. but i know the phone 4 is really quite different on the outside from its 1st gen. I am sure the new Bold is quite a bit more refined and feels great in the hand too compared to some of its predecessors.

Both have had major changes under the hood and quite substantial gains on the OS side too though even with the same basic home screens since launch
    07-27-11 03:59 PM
    The 9700 and 9780 are basically the same phone and the 9900 is not shipping (when it does it will compete with the iPhone5 not iPhone 4).
    kevinnugent and Charlieo132 like this.
    07-27-11 04:06 PM
    I didn't mean to post them as if they were competing against the model lined up vertically. I just meant to show how it evolved. I guess I should include the 9650. Its just that it was really a tour before the name change. I should post different angle comparisons too if it helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 06:30 PM
    Not being a hater bro my bad :/
    07-27-11 06:34 PM
    I didn't mean to post them as if they were competing against the model lined up vertically. I just meant to show how it evolved. I guess I should include the 9650. Its just that it was really a tour before the name change. I should post different angle comparisons too if it helps.

It's a good comparison Cam. One could say all GSM devices. But I think leaving the 9650, the Tour out was right even though it eventually became apart of the Bold family.
    07-27-11 06:41 PM
    I like this window view, at least it shows some design change.

07-27-11 06:45 PM
    Very cool view. It does illustrate familiarity within both lines which I think is important especially if they have both been successful.
    07-27-11 06:51 PM
    Not being a hater bro my bad :/
    I didn't take it like that don't worry! No need for apology.

It's a good comparison Cam. One could say all GSM devices. But I think leaving the 9650, the Tour out was right even though it eventually became apart of the Bold family.
    Right. That's what I was thinking. I'd love to include the iPhone 5 and possible future qwerty QNX BB if it comes!

Like howarmat said, I think there is more to different angles like the side since a lot of the changes on both sides were due to weight trimming. I think we can all agree they've each evolved for the better each time. 9700/9780 are basically the same though. Iphone 3G/3GS look similar too.

07-27-11 06:58 PM

Actually the fact that for the given time period you listed only 2 distinct models of BB that have actually shipped and 4 iPhone models says a lot about why RIM is falling behind.
    07-27-11 07:57 PM
    Actually the fact that for the given time period you listed only 2 distinct models of BB that have actually shipped and 4 iPhone models says a lot about why RIM is falling behind.
    Sorry, but the phones all look so very similar to their proceeding relative. While I will not argue that the hardware advancements between revisions of iPhone have been better than the BlackbBerry, please don't try tell me the majority of consumers know the difference between 624/1g processors little on care about it more than "newer is better".

RIM Fell behind on the trend of Apps, Social Media, and Internet significantly for staying a bit too focused on Corporate and World market expansion while Apple rode the success of the Ipod which really had no competition and Android grew religiously due to the nature of open source.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-28-11 12:33 AM
    Sorry, but the phones all look so very similar to their proceeding relative. While I will not argue that the hardware advancements between revisions of iPhone have been better than the BlackbBerry, please don't try tell me the majority of consumers know the difference between 624/1g processors little on care about it more than "newer is better".

RIM Fell behind on the trend of Apps, Social Media, and Internet significantly for staying a bit too focused on Corporate and World market expansion while Apple rode the success of the Ipod which really had no competition and Android grew religiously due to the nature of open source.
    I agree completely. It is more about software than hardware. For example, nfc in bold 9900. Means nothing id you dont have apps making use of it.

Im going to russia next month. There are a dozen travelgids available for offline download on iphone. Just what i need. And what can i do with my blackberry now?
    07-28-11 01:10 AM
    I agree completely. It is more about software than hardware. For example, nfc in bold 9900. Means nothing id you dont have apps making use of it.

Im going to russia next month. There are a dozen travelgids available for offline download on iphone. Just what i need. And what can i do with my blackberry now?
    Why off line? Blackberry data compression allows you to stay online while roaming with very little extra charges. That's the beauty of BIS. My wife has managed a week in New York on just 1.6mb of roaming data while constantly BBMing, sending some photos and voice notes, and a few facebook updates.

07-28-11 03:02 AM
    They can probably see the performance difference.

The bigger problem is RIM is not offering new phones to people who now have an upgrade available to them. I am using a 9700 on AT&T and can now upgrade to another device on AT&T. Currently there is no replacement for the 9700 on AT&T.
    07-29-11 11:38 AM
    Why off line? Blackberry data compression allows you to stay online while roaming with very little extra charges. That's the beauty of BIS. My wife has managed a week in New York on just 1.6mb of roaming data while constantly BBMing, sending some photos and voice notes, and a few facebook updates.
    Why off line? I'm guessing because "very little" is still more than "zero."
    07-29-11 11:44 AM
    Why off line? I'm guessing because "very little" is still more than "zero."
    Any half serious traveler would tell you relying on an iphone for your travel guide is a disaster waiting to happen. Buy a paper travel guide or at least get it on a kindle, the battery will last for a month.

Personally I like my to put my phone in my pocket, get on a plane, land in a different country, take my phone out and use it just as in my own country, I don't want to reduce it to a dumb phone or paperweight.

07-31-11 06:11 AM
    RIM shipped 2
    and Apple Shipped 3
    the Difference between the 9700 and the 9780 is similar to that difference between the iPhone 3G and the 3GS

and it is VERY much understood RIM's issue is lack of new device launches and that is what is hurting them, RIM needs a yearly development cycle for flagship phones, not a 2/3 year development cycle
    Exiled Bulldawg likes this.
    07-31-11 08:37 AM
    RIM shipped 2
    and Apple Shipped 3
    the Difference between the 9700 and the 9780 is similar to that difference between the iPhone 3G and the 3GS

and it is VERY much understood RIM's issue is lack of new device launches and that is what is hurting them, RIM needs a yearly development cycle for flagship phones, not a 2/3 year development cycle
    The 9780 is the same device as the 9700 with more flash memory, a slightly better camera and a different bezel color. The 3GS has a significantly faster CPU than the 3G though they are very similar in physical appearance.

07-31-11 10:26 AM
    Any half serious traveler would tell you relying on an iphone for your travel guide is a disaster waiting to happen. Buy a paper travel guide or at least get it on a kindle, the battery will last for a month.
    I haven't always agreed with points you've made in the past, but this I have to agree with. I love my iPhone but I wouldn't trust it, or any mobile phone for that matter, as my sole means of navigation/travel guide. As you said, it's a disaster waiting to happen. There are far better means of navigation out there, and sometimes you can't beat a good ol' map. It's battery will never die.
    07-31-11 10:34 AM

You nailed it!
    I rely like it when someone is clear on this matter.
    07-31-11 10:49 AM
    They can probably see the performance difference.

The bigger problem is RIM is not offering new phones to people who now have an upgrade available to them. I am using a 9700 on AT&T and can now upgrade to another device on AT&T. Currently there is no replacement for the 9700 on AT&T.
    why is it that att never brought out the 9780, more to do with att than RIM.
    07-31-11 10:55 AM
    Similar how? I'm aware that the spec bump from the 3G to 3GS is much more significant than 9700->9780 (which used the same CPU), and led to notable speed increases in normal phone function.
    07-31-11 11:01 AM
    Similar how? I'm aware that the spec bump from the 3G to 3GS is much more significant than 9700->9780 (which used the same CPU), and led to notable speed increases in normal phone function.
    9700 to 9780 has more memory. Its a much much faster phone. Its exactly the same as the 3g to the 3gs. More actually considering the 1.8 pixel increase in camera. As far as I know the 3g and 3gs share the same camera

07-31-11 11:37 AM
    The iphonne 2g,3g and 3gs looks the same , just the 4 that got a bit of cosmectic change

07-31-11 11:56 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD