I'm slowly beginning to realize that this is a losing "battle". There's no telling why people say and do the things they do. And you can't convince them otherwise.
    If you try to tell them to hold on to their devices until BB10 comes out, or even move to OS 7.1 they just give you this blank stare. It's frustrating and I'm slowly giving up on these people. Let them do or say whatever pleases them.
    I recently had a friend who emailed me saying that he was having too many problems with his Torch 9860 and purchased an Android. Not once did this person tell me about these so called "problems". What happened is he succumbed to the media attention and jumped ship. His was just a lame excuse to do so.
    This is when I saw the light and said "screw it!". I give up on these people, plain and simple. They're simply hopeless. Hopeless I tell you!

/rant
    And that's the smartest thing you could have done. You're under no obligation to recruit or retain Blackberry customers, so why would you try? I've heard many other members who have tried to recruit people to Blackberry, only to be chastised by their "friends" because the Blackberry doesn't meet their needs. Let people make their own buying decisions, then they'll have nobody to blame for their choices but themselves.
    CeeXTwo likes this.
    09-15-12 07:56 AM
    I'm slowly beginning to realize that this is a losing "battle". There's no telling why people say and do the things they do. And you can't convince them otherwise.
    If you try to tell them to hold on to their devices until BB10 comes out, or even move to OS 7.1 they just give you this blank stare. It's frustrating and I'm slowly giving up on these people. Let them do or say whatever pleases them.
    I recently had a friend who emailed me saying that he was having too many problems with his Torch 9860 and purchased an Android. Not once did this person tell me about these so called "problems". What happened is he succumbed to the media attention and jumped ship. His was just a lame excuse to do so.
    This is when I saw the light and said "screw it!". I give up on these people, plain and simple. They're simply hopeless. Hopeless I tell you!

/rant
    If he was having problems with his device, how is it a 'lame excuse' when he moves to another platform that may not give him the same problems?

How do you tell someone who is genuinely frustrated with his device to wait until BB10 comes out, when YOU do not know when it's coming out? Q1 2013 is vague enough for it to be 5 months away from release. You think 5 months is a short time?
    Yaceka likes this.
    09-15-12 08:49 AM
    If he was having problems with his device, how is it a 'lame excuse' when he moves to another platform that may not give him the same problems?

How do you tell someone who is genuinely frustrated with his device to wait until BB10 comes out, when YOU do not know when it's coming out? Q1 2013 is vague enough for it to be 5 months away from release. You think 5 months is a short time?

I think he meant that the issue could have been pretty minor that needed an easy fix. Like he might have only needed to update the OS, or close a memory hogging app in the background, etc.... Instead of buying a whole new phone.

But like he said, it doesn't matter. His friend wanted an Android and got one. No big deal.
    09-15-12 08:52 AM

I can say it was lame because this person knows that he always come to me for fixes as he has in the past. But not once did he ask me "hey how do I fix this..."

And yes, as shemaree09 says above "it doesn't matter". Not anymore.
    09-15-12 09:02 AM
    cellphones have become a fashion statement. if your seen with a blackberry most hipsters and apple fanboys and girls see you as not intelligent to the world of tech. what they dont see is that we are and thats why we choose what we do. we dont choose what we are going to use because other people are using them, every store has accessories for them or even because there are a million apps for them. we choose them because as intelligent tech junkies such as myself know what we need.

i always get so much flack from people that i work with when i bust out the 9900 but when they say what can that do. i respond back with "everything i need it to do"

i dont need a million applications i just need a phone that can surf the web, send a text,use twitter and most importantly make a call. its a cellphone not a computer.
    goaliegirl33 likes this.
    09-15-12 09:09 AM
    I can say it was lame because this person knows that he always come to me for fixes as he has in the past. But not once did he ask me "hey how do I fix this..."

And yes, as shemaree09 says above "it doesn't matter". Not anymore.
    Is it possible that he grew tired of always needing to come to you for a fix? I can see that getting irritating. Also, sometimes people just want a change, maybe the most recent issue he was having with his BB simply provided the opportunity to try out Android.

Totally agree, it doesn't matter but just speculating.
    bp3dots likes this.
    09-15-12 11:11 AM
    Is it possible that he grew tired of always needing to come to you for a fix? I can see that getting irritating. Also, sometimes people just want a change, maybe the most recent issue he was having with his BB simply provided the opportunity to try out Android.

Totally agree, it doesn't matter but just speculating.
    I feel pretty confident in saying that he just doesn't get it.
    I'm also confident that when BB10 comes out he'll want to switch back to BB.
    09-15-12 11:20 AM
    1. I still get spinning clocks with my 9900

2. 4S has a much faster CPU and a much faster GPU
    And the 4S is cheaper! That alone would would encourage people to try the IPhone.

It makes absolutely no sense that the BB9900 is still selling for 199.00 at AT&T. The price has kept me from upgrading my trusty 9700; no reason to get locked into a 2 year commitment on a phone that is over a year old, when someone can get the iPhone 5 for the same price.
    ArloP likes this.
    09-15-12 12:08 PM
    I have a 9330 an older model and couldn't be any happier. This was my first blackberry and fell in love with the brand.
    I always talk up about blackberry and how I thought about upgrading to 9900 but am waiting for BB10 and people always ask why am I with blackberry and its because the phones and OS are not as bad as people think.
    The iPhone5 I laugh at. It has the same OS at the 4S but .7" taller, a little faster phone, and with the front camera on top of the ear piece. So yeah, I laugh at Apple. I have never wanted an iPhone.
    Pretty sure ill be sticking with Blackberry for some time now. I haven't had a problem with my 9330 and I am super excited about the BB10 phones.
    09-15-12 02:03 PM
    I have a 9330 an older model and couldn't be any happier. This was my first blackberry and fell in love with the brand.
    I always talk up about blackberry and how I thought about upgrading to 9900 but am waiting for BB10 and people always ask why am I with blackberry and its because the phones and OS are not as bad as people think.
    The iPhone5 I laugh at. It has the same OS at the 4S but .7" taller, a little faster phone, and with the front camera on top of the ear piece. So yeah, I laugh at Apple. I have never wanted an iPhone.
    Pretty sure ill be sticking with Blackberry for some time now. I haven't had a problem with my 9330 and I am super excited about the BB10 phones.
    Well Apple says 2x CPU, 2x GPU....and that isn't 'a little' faster.

Lazaridis and his clueless co-CEO also laughed at the iPhone in 2008. We all know how that turned out
    09-16-12 07:27 AM
    Funny that you laugh at the iPhone 5, because I'm laughing at you. I guess all you can do is laugh - right? I mean RIM is certainly leading the pack with their innovation. And their stock is doing really leading the way. You are hanging your hat on something that hasn't even been released. Pretty sure apple sold more iPhone 5's in one month than RIM sold all year. So... Who is really laughing at who?
    11-03-12 06:43 PM
    Funny that you laugh at the iPhone 5, because I'm laughing at you. I guess all you can do is laugh - right? I mean RIM is certainly leading the pack with their innovation. And their stock is doing really leading the way. You are hanging your hat on something that hasn't even been released. Pretty sure apple sold more iPhone 5's in one month than RIM sold all year. So... Who is really laughing at who?
    ORIGINALLY POSTED BY SALLENTHORNTON

I've got to admit that I'm getting kind of bored with iOS. I don't play games, but I do enjoy watching videos on my iPhone. I rent from iTunes and watch Netflix whenever I'm traveling or waiting in between hockey games (official). It's a great time killer.

That being said... If apple doesn't "freshen" up the iOS in the future, I may have to go another route. And I'm seriously thinking of a SG3 or the Note 2.

I'm going to be all over the keyboard version. It looks nice. And seems to be what I am looking for. I've always preferred a keyboard, and event though I'm using an iPhone for my heart still belongs to my 9700.

Thanks for the response. I am going to keep my eyes open for a 9790 that's unlocked for my carrier (AT&T), but if I run across a great deal on a 9900 might still go that direction. However, I really like the size of the 9790. Looks to be the same size of my 9700.
    Laughing, eh?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-03-12 07:59 PM
    When I broke my 9700 5 months ago I wanted a Blackberry but i wasn't going to spend money on a dying platform. Instead i bought a cheap little android to mess around with till BB10 comes out. why am i going to pay 400$ for a BB9900 when its running BBOS7 when the OS itself can't compete with the competition. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Blackberry fan but I'll rough it with my 50$ android until BB10 is released and ill pay full price for it.
    11-03-12 08:17 PM
    Laughing, eh?
    LOL PWNED
    11-03-12 08:19 PM
    You're still missing the point. If what they offer isn't good enough for ME, then I don't want it. Again, how do you know the person in question didnt try and dismiss a 9900 as one of their options? The 9900 is not the best phone for everyone, or even most people, otherwise sales numbers would reflect that.

And I'm using "me" hypothetically since I'm not the one switching phones.
    In my experience when looking to upgrade my 9650 the fanboy/fangirl at the vzw, att, sprint etc....never suggested a bb....pushed ipone only...didn't care for the iphone...wanted to see a 9930..was told "you don't want that phone" again pushed the iphone. So imho if the carriers were open minded and explored with the customer what their needs were or what they wanted in a device there would of been a lot more bb 9900's activated. After 3 stores I finally found a reluctant salesman who sold me my 9930. This salesman knew nothing about blackberry was amazed I wanted it. The phone wasn't even on display in the store...told him I wanted a BB 9930 only...finally brought one out of the back room for me and have been totally in love with the device! Several of my friends with iphones are in awe of my phone and are shocked bb had such a nice device to offer.
    11-03-12 08:55 PM
    In my experience when looking to upgrade my 9650 the fanboy/fangirl at the vzw, att, sprint etc....never suggested a bb....pushed ipone only...didn't care for the iphone...wanted to see a 9930..was told "you don't want that phone" again pushed the iphone. So imho if the carriers were open minded and explored with the customer what their needs were or what they wanted in a device there would of been a lot more bb 9900's activated. After 3 stores I finally found a reluctant salesman who sold me my 9930. This salesman knew nothing about blackberry was amazed I wanted it. The phone wasn't even on display in the store...told him I wanted a BB 9930 only...finally brought one out of the back room for me and have been totally in love with the device! Several of my friends with iphones are in awe of my phone and are shocked bb had such a nice device to offer.
    This has a lot to do with it. I lost one of my bbm contacts this week because he went in to replace his 9800. He liked it ok. He used bbm to talk to me and a few others quite a bit. I garuantee he would have picked up a new BB if they had one in the store on display or if the salesman had looked at his old 9800 and taken the time to show him what RIM has for sale right now. Instead he has an android now.

Sure the people on crackberry and other tech sites live and die by what phone they have. but a lot of people like my friend don't care that much. And that's where rim has seriously failed more than amything by letting carriers screw them out of these potential repeat customers.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    11-04-12 12:27 AM
    This has a lot to do with it. I lost one of my bbm contacts this week because he went in to replace his 9800. He liked it ok. He used bbm to talk to me and a few others quite a bit. I garuantee he would have picked up a new BB if they had one in the store on display or if the salesman had looked at his old 9800 and taken the time to show him what RIM has for sale right now. Instead he has an android now.

Sure the people on crackberry and other tech sites live and die by what phone they have. but a lot of people like my friend don't care that much. And that's where rim has seriously failed more than amything by letting carriers screw them out of these potential repeat customers.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    Speaking as a sales person, if I may, when I see someone with a BB looking at phones one of the first things I ask is if they want to stay with BB. If they say yes, I steer them right to the BB's... But I also do make sure they understand there is a new OS coming shortly and that the phones we currently offer will NOT run it. I can't in good conscience sell the a OS7 device and not make sure they know they can't use OS10 on it.

If they say they are open to everything then I show them all the phones we have after narrowing down price range and usage patterns.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    bp3dots likes this.
    11-04-12 10:08 AM
    When I get my BB10 phone, I can't wait to diss my 9650 in a goodbye thread!
    I was very happy with my Bold 9650 and have no problem in saying it was as functional as my 9930.....
    ...The camera on the 9650 walks all over my 9930's.
    ....Given the 9930 is more known for what it can't do then what it can - I regret having my company spend the $ bumping me up to the 9930.

For what I do the 9650 did a better job in helping me get things done then does my new 9930...
    ...I think this is what cost RIM the continued loss of their market share.

I've concluded this by looking at what other people say is their favorite or most used app on their ipad and iphone.....
    ....And realizing that those things STILL are not offered on a RIM product.
    11-04-12 11:57 AM
118 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD