I never understand this. There is always a random post about someone frustrated with their Blackberry talking about how they're getting an iPhone tomorrow, but 9 times out of 10 they are frustrated with their 2010 or older phone.

I just saw a post from someone who wrote a farewell to Blackberry coming from a 9700...saying that they are leaving because RIM cant keep up lol.

I hear it all the time. Somebody complains and complains about how all Blackberry's suck, but when you ask them which Blackberry they have, and its like a Storm or Pearl

Are some people really that clueless or are they just looking for an excuse to blame RIM and jump ship?
    vespajet, ajst222, ritesh and 7 others like this.
    09-13-12 02:18 PM
    i use a 9860 and i wouldnt recommend it to anyone. its not terrible, just not what i expect in a phone in the 21st century. im hoping bb10 delivers, im slightly pessimistic that it will perform how im hoping. the iphone5 looks nice and i possibly might switch if rim cant come up with the goods. ill give them till January

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    09-13-12 02:24 PM
    i use a 9860 and i wouldnt recommend it to anyone. its not terrible, just not what i expect in a phone in the 21st century. im hoping bb10 delivers, im slightly pessimistic that it will perform how im hoping. the iphone5 looks nice and i possibly might switch if rim cant come up with the goods. ill give them till January

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, but a 9860 isn't your typical or classic Blackberry. They kind of went out of their lane with an all touch device, so Im sure its not perfect compared to other touchscreen devices out now.
    09-13-12 02:28 PM
    If RIM hasn't offered anything new that grabs their attention, they've failed to retain that customer. If they've had a terrible experience with their existing phone, they're also under no obligation to give the company another chance. If a steakhouse ruins my $40 strip loin, I'm not going to give them another $40 to try again next time. I'll just go somewhere else.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 09-13-12 at 02:46 PM.
    brucep1, richardat and Yaceka like this.
    09-13-12 02:32 PM
    I'm gonna say that theyre either trolling or they're clueless because if you're using an old blackberry, obviously it won't be as good as the newer ones. Tell them to get an iPhone that came out the same time as that blackberry they're using for example the iPhone 3G. Ive had that iPhone before and it is very slow and ended switching to a blackberry bold 9000 2 months later. Comparing a phone that came out 2+ years to a phone that recently came out just shows how clueless that person is. So it's just plain stupidity IMO.
    Last edited by luqman24; 09-13-12 at 02:35 PM.
    shemaree09, vespajet and bb624 like this.
    09-13-12 02:32 PM
    I went from a 9900 to a Nokia Lumia 710 running Windows Phone 7.
    No regrets. None.

Waiting for WP8 and hoping for BB 10.
    Yaceka likes this.
    09-13-12 02:35 PM
    If RIM hasn't offered anything new that grabs their attention, they've failed to retain that customer. If they've had a terrible experience with their existing phone, they're also u der no obligation to give the company another chance. If a steakhouse ruins my $40 strip loin, I'm not going to give them another $40 to try again next time. I'll just go somewhere else.
    but they have. OS 7 is new and the Bold 9900 is new. They came out 1 yr ago.

You cant complain about a company "not keeping up with the times" when you have an old device from 3 years ago.

Thats like saying Toshiba makes terrible televisions, and you still have a fatback CRT Toshiba TV from 2009 lol
    09-13-12 02:37 PM
    I went from a 9900 to a Nokia Lumia 710 running Windows Phone 7.
    No regrets. None.

Waiting for WP8 and hoping for BB 10.
    That's the key right there. Clearly the Lumia is a sound fit for you right now. In all honesty, if I had to make a choice due to a lack of BlackBerry in this world (heaven forbid), I'd be going in that direction as well.
    09-13-12 02:38 PM

You cant complain about a company "not keeping up with the times" when you have an old device from 3 years ago.

Thats like saying Toshiba makes terrible televisions, and you still have a fatback CRT Toshiba TV from 2009 lol
    I'm sorry, but how do you know that the new Bold was able to catch their attention? I didn't say RIM didn't introduce anything new, I clearly stated that it just didn't catch the attention of the person switching phones.
    richardat likes this.
    09-13-12 02:48 PM
    I'm gonna say that theyre either trolling or they're clueless because if you're using an old blackberry, obviously it won't be as good as the newer ones. Tell them to get an iPhone that came out the same time as that blackberry they're using for example the iPhone 3G. Ive had that iPhone before and it is very slow and ended switching to a blackberry bold 9000 2 months later. Comparing a phone that came out 2+ years to a phone that recently came out just shows how clueless that person is. So it's just plain stupidity IMO.
    A 9700 was around the same release period as the 3GS, around 2009/2010. I think that was the last time Blackberry was still considered somewhat competitive, as I recall reading forums and blogs frequently comparing these phones against each other with the vote often split down the middle. Then the iPhone 4 came out in the summer of 2010 and all RIM had for an answer was the 9700 + 2 MP and extra RAM. It's basically been downhill from there.

I'm a big fan of the 9900, if it wasn't for the waiting of promised land of BBX/BB10 I would have upgraded to it by now. Still think it's the segment leader for anyone wanting a physical keyboard to write up emails/reports or take notes. Many of my iPhone friends and colleagues have been impressed with seeing how smooth the OS is and the crispness of the screen and have commented on how they did not expect this from a Blackberry.
    shemaree09 and morganplus8 like this.
    09-13-12 02:49 PM
    I'm sorry, but how do you know that the new Bold was able to catch their attention? I didn't say RIM didn't introduce anything new, I clearly stated that it just didn't catch the attention of the person switching phones.
    That's their fault. You cant say a company isn't keeping up with the times if you dont seek out what they currently have to offer.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    09-13-12 02:50 PM
    Truth be told right now in market BlackBerry devices are feeling their age.
    But if you have blackberry right now you really should understand you are NOT using the latest smart phone. It's normal to compare, rightly or wrongly.
    I met a guy moaning his latest and greatest 9320 was handicapped in many ways till I pointed out that it was a budget OS7 device and OS7 devices are old now.
    09-13-12 02:52 PM
    If RIM hasn't offered anything new that grabs their attention, they've failed to retain that customer. If they've had a terrible experience with their existing phone, they're also under no obligation to give the company another chance. If a steakhouse ruins my $40 strip loin, I'm not going to give them another $40 to try again next time. I'll just go somewhere else.
    Thank you! Some people may have gone through multiple devices running different operating systems and after being burned by all of the phones they tried, they didn't want to try OS7. Can't say as I blame them any. With BB10, it will hopefully give those of us who left a reason to come back.
    09-13-12 02:54 PM
    That's their fault. You cant say a company isn't keeping up with the times if you dont seek out what they currently have to offer.
    You're still missing the point. If what they offer isn't good enough for ME, then I don't want it. Again, how do you know the person in question didnt try and dismiss a 9900 as one of their options? The 9900 is not the best phone for everyone, or even most people, otherwise sales numbers would reflect that.

And I'm using "me" hypothetically since I'm not the one switching phones.
    09-13-12 02:54 PM
    Truth be told right now in market BlackBerry devices are feeling their age.
    But if you have blackberry right now you really should understand you are NOT using the latest smart phone. It's normal to compare, rightly or wrongly.
    I met a guy moaning his latest and greatest 9320 was handicapped in many ways till I pointed out that it was a budget OS7 device and OS7 devices are old now.
    Maybe it all goes back to RIM putting out too many devices. Your average consumer doesnt know the differences between each phone/series. I guess whatever phone they currently have at Verizon or whatever is assumed to be the "newest" one.
    09-13-12 02:55 PM
    The problem here is the assumption that they don't. You cannot look at the device a person is currently using and assume they have not done their research be it reading blogs, tech sites, reviews,talking to friends, family and coworkers, and even trying the devices out before making their decision.

There are many many people who have older devices and have done some or all of the above and still came away unimpressed. So be it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-13-12 03:00 PM
    I understand the OP's point.

I use an OS7 device (Torch 9810), but it's difficult for me to recommend it to anyone looking for a smartphone now because:

a.) BlackBerry 10 is coming and will be incredible, rendering the current crop of BlackBerry devices outdated by RIM's own standards
    b.) I'm very different in that what I need is not what the average person needs. BlackBerry is perfect for me and I would gladly buy another BB device. But I'm not like most people; apps aren't important to me. Multimedia isn't really that important to me. But those two things are huge for most others, and those are two places where BB lags a bit behind the competition.
    c.) I'm a diehard BB fan and can put up with BlackBerry's shortcomings because I appreciate what's being given to me in return.
    d.) I'm aware of RIM's situation as a company and want to see it succeed in the end.

Those factors are unique to me and that is why that, although I love my BB, I find it difficult to recommend it to someone who's looking for a new phone.
    09-13-12 03:01 PM
    You're still missing the point. If what they offer isn't good enough for ME, then I don't want it. Again, how do you know the person in question didnt try and dismiss a 9900 as one of their options? The 9900 is not the best phone for everyone, or even most people, otherwise sales numbers would reflect that.

I get what you're saying but most of the time they havent tried out the 9900. Im not saying its the best, but its the best Blackberry right now in comparison to the competition. Of course there are limitations, theres no need to go into detail.

Previous BB's from before were thick, had horrible web browsers, stupid trackballs and no touchscreen. Comparing a phone like that to an iPhone 4S is just silly. Im talking about people completely writing off RIM because of stuff like that.
    09-13-12 03:04 PM
    The problem here is the assumption that they don't. You cannot look at the device a person is currently using and assume they have not done their research be it reading blogs, tech sites, reviews,talking to friends, family and coworkers, and even trying the devices out before making their decision.

There are many many people who have older devices and have done some or all of the above and still came away unimpressed. So be it.
    Right. And there is nothing wrong with that. Im talking about the people who haven't. And there are a lot.
    09-13-12 03:05 PM
    Neither the BlackBerry Bold 9900 nor the BlackBerry OS 7 is anything spectacular or revolutionary; at best it was an incremental update of both the Bold series smartphone and operating system. As I recall BlackBerry OS 7 began life as BlackBerry OS 6.1 but was publicly released as BlackBerry OS 7. Apple has been pulling the same trickery with their Apple iPhone and iOS including the latest offerings.
    09-13-12 03:07 PM

A thread created on CrackBerry, for the sole purpose of kicking the ground and pouting for all of us, just goes to show how bereft of logic they may possibly be. I know that there are different devices for different people and I respect that. I'm the who keeps saying coexistence all the time. What I'm getting at though is for the most part, when a thread like this is created and the device is old, it's pre-entitlement. They see their friends with their unnecessarily and ridiculously-spec'd devices or flooded app stores, look at their now-archaic phone, and they feel wronged. So much, that they need to shout it at the top of their lungs. Or in this case, with a pacifier in their mouth on a forum catered to FANS of BlackBerry devices.
    shemaree09 and Bobcat665 like this.
    09-13-12 03:08 PM
    Neither the BlackBerry Bold 9900 nor the BlackBerry OS 7 is anything spectacular or revolutionary; at best it was an incremental update of both the Bold series smartphone and operating system. As I recall BlackBerry OS 7 began life as BlackBerry OS 6.1 but was publicly released as BlackBerry OS 7. Apple has been pulling the same trickery with their Apple iPhone and iOS including the latest offerings.
    I disagree. For Blackberry it was.

Its the first updated Blackberry is classic form.

Touch+Type+Trackpad combo thats faster, thinner, and a MUCH better web browser. Those are pretty significant changes physically and OS wise.

I couldn't imagine still using my 2009, 8900 Curve in 2012 and making a long farewell letter about how much it sucks and why Im leaving RIM. Of course it does! lol
    09-13-12 03:12 PM
    09-13-12 03:14 PM
    When I get my BB10 phone, I can't wait to diss my 9650 in a goodbye thread!
    09-13-12 03:16 PM
    Ops most be referring to this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...e-user-744684/
    That kind of inspired it. But also friends, people on twitter, co-workers.

I hear this kind of stuff all the time.
    09-13-12 03:18 PM
118 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD