Look... I desperately want BlackBerry to succeed. I've been using BlackBerry for almost a dozen years. I really REALLY don't want to move to a new platform. Maybe that is why I'm so passionate about BBM's serious failures.

I've personally convinced no less than 20 folks across platforms to try BBM...and I'm fed up with the embarrassment of its failure.

And no...Whatsapp was never this unreliable, I've used it long enough to know. It is about all that my friends in Hong Kong use.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    BBM is not really what you make it look like, it works most of the time, infact I have never experienced a problem with Android phones with the BBM connected icon switched on, on their phones, I do experience the tick mark issue with IOS but that's due to a limitation that IOS has.

Whatsapp is unreliable too and sometimes their services go down for a few hours and they experience the same exact issue with IOS users of whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    billybobsa likes this.
    01-15-14 11:22 PM
    Could you provide more details as to how we can tweak the notifications on the iOS?
    OK. So obviously turn on "alerts" under the notifications for BBM. Settings > notification center > BBM.

But then here is the thing I think was key. Settings > General > Background App Refresh > BBM. Toggle this to ON. I think, THINK it is off by default. This as I read it allows the push notifications to update even when the app is closed.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    gnirkatto and Vector-SS like this.
    01-16-14 12:46 AM
    A whole lot of my friends and family are pushing me to get Whatsapp. Most of them are on iPhones and Androids, and a decent amount of them are ex-BB10.
    Even though my faith in BlackBerry has long since evaporated, I still can see that BBM is the superior messaging app. However, my iPhone and Android pals would have none of it, and you can't really blame them.
    It runs terribly on other OS's. Like, really terribly. My cousin says every time she sends a message, the app closes down. Messages take hours to send, and sometimes don't even send at all. They still can't access many of the full features we get, therefore making it pretty much the same as any other messaging app. So that's why they're asking me to make the switch to Whatsapp on my BlackBerry so I can actually communicate with them.
    And it doesn't stop at BBM! My BlackBerry Link on my Mac can't do anything. I can't share files at all. I can't send them through Bluetooth either, because for some reason I can't send more than one picture at a time. So all my pictures and memories stay trapped in my BlackBerry, and I have to haul my laptop wherever I go to enjoy music.
    It's become almost painful to own a BB10 device. Nothing works. The device doesn't run smoothly, there are a ridiculous amount of glitches in every corner of the OS. I hope everything is fixed soon, or else I'm jumping the boat. Or probably more accurately jumping onto the better boat.

Posted via CB10
    Whats app is crap

Posted Via Q10 Super Phone
    billybobsa likes this.
    01-16-14 01:18 AM
    I've read some rubbish in my life, then I read this.....shame poor you, nothing on your BB10 phone works.

Maybe it's you, not the phone?

I have a Z10 and everything works, even stuff that should not work like Strava and Sony Smart Headset and Smart Watch.

Never mind Snapchat, Instagram, Candy Crush, Subway Surfer, SkySports, Bloomberg, Paypal, Intuit Quickbooks and one maybe you should try Dumb ways to die....
    01-16-14 01:34 AM
    With my husband having an iphone we used Whatsapp for ages and loved it - until bbm came out. Here in Canada for us, bbm works a lot better than Whatsapp, much faster. With the introduction of bbm, and my new Q10 showing off a little for him, he's thinking about jumping ship TO BlackBerry. If we could just find a store that has a working display Z30, I think I could convince him!

Posted with a smile...and a Q10
    Let me know if it doesn't work out, maybe we can swap spouses...mine has iPhone too.

Posted via CB10
    billybobsa and anon(3732391) like this.
    01-16-14 01:36 AM
    As I recall, from my limited experience with it, people can see your updates merely because they're contacts in your phone. That won't work for me, because I like to keep those two spheres separate.

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    It's worse than that: Not contacts in your phone, a Whatscrap user can see whats going on in your life by merely adding your number to their contact list....pretty scary.
    james pisano likes this.
    01-16-14 01:38 AM
    It's worse than that: Not contacts in your phone, a Whatscrap user can see whats going on in your life by merely adding your number to their contact list....pretty scary.
    Even if u block them, even more scary lol

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 02:37 AM
    Yeah. That is worse. I can't see how it is popular among professionals, that is, people in the work force who aren't students.

I also wonder; how long does that info remain in the public domain? I mean supposedly if you delete/cancel your facebook account they have to delete your data, but what about all the stuff you post on whatsapp? Anyone know?

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    01-16-14 02:02 PM
    Yeah. That is worse. I can't see how it is popular among professionals, that is, people in the work force who aren't students.

I also wonder; how long does that info remain in the public domain? I mean supposedly if you delete/cancel your facebook account they have to delete your data, but what about all the stuff you post on whatsapp? Anyone know?

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    FB still holds onto your data after you delete you account. It's a service. When you realize the error of your ways in deleting your FB account, they will offer you opportunities to reactivate your account so that you can get connected again.

All of the social media stuff is no different than the rest of the Internet.. once it's out there, it's impossible to remove it completely.
    james pisano likes this.
    01-16-14 02:16 PM
    FB still holds onto your data after you delete you account. It's a service. When you realize the error of your ways in deleting your FB account, they will offer you opportunities to reactivate your account so that you can get connected again.

All of the social media stuff is no different than the rest of the Internet.. once it's out there, it's impossible to remove it completely.
    Yeah. That makes sense. Probably should have known, except I was listening to a guy from Ireland, responsible for international facebook user's privacy regulations and he said FB was supposed to delete the data and he took some kind of action to get assurance that it was done.

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-16-14 02:33 PM
    Yeah. That makes sense. Probably should have known, except I was listening to a guy from Ireland, responsible for international facebook user's privacy regulations and he said FB was supposed to delete the data and he took some kind of action to get assurance that it was done.

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    I think if you pester them enough they are legally bound to remove it for you, certainly worth the effort (in my opinion at any rate). I deleted my FB account going on 6 or 7 years ago and somehow it was reactivated about a year ago and there was a scary amount of data on there still even after all that time and repeated requests from me to delete all my data.
    james pisano likes this.
    01-16-14 02:36 PM
86 ... 234