Amazing how everybody wants to nickel & dime you to death over things they should provide happily for free as part of customer service...

There's a thread about Verizon charging $20 to transfer your contacts to newly purchased phones. There are endless forums and posts about VZW ripping people off by crippling GPS and then forcing you into VZ Navigator...

And now this - BestBuy will happily go through the tedious process of pairing your Bluetooth with your phone... for $10.

Best Buy's $10 headset pairing service includes testing, finger pointing - Engadget
    07-14-08 04:18 PM
    At one time, Sprint tried to charge customers for customer service calls for people who didn't have good credit. I thought that one was hilarious and I was sooo glad I didn't work there when that went down. Obviously it flopped because they don't do it anymore lol
    07-14-08 04:23 PM
    WOW!! makes me all the happier to be with AT&T.

And anyone that can't pair a bluetooth should not be
    allowed anywhere near a smartphone.
    07-14-08 04:25 PM
    Yea, I saw the sign when I was in there. It cracked me up. My Verizon store has always been good about moving contacts over to new phones with no charge, even if a phone has been fried.
    07-14-08 04:25 PM
    Alltel charges 10 for number transfers but only when you didn't buy the phone at that stores

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 04:35 PM
    Think of it as a Stupid Tax....for those too stupid to figure out how to set up Bluetooth.
    07-14-08 04:47 PM
    lol Mockberry that's funny!

And yes, they are all out to nickel and dime us. They are a business. And, I agree with Mockberry on this one. We need to be educated consumers. I personally never pay anyone to do something until I try doing it, find someone to help me who knows, and still can't.

And of course there's the Ken Lays of the world who have a gazzilion dollars and it doesn't matter to pay some kid out of highschool $10 to pair your bluetooth.
    07-14-08 04:51 PM
    AT&T charges you to pay your bill in person!! I went to pay my bill in person and was told I would be charged a $2 or $5 fee to pay in person. (It was a few months ago so I forget if it was $2 or $5). Anyway, I said forget it. Now I pay online for free. Isn't that ridiculous???
    07-14-08 05:04 PM
    AT&T charges you to pay your bill in person!! I went to pay my bill in person and was told I would be charged a $2 or $5 fee to pay in person. (It was a few months ago so I forget if it was $2 or $5). Anyway, I said forget it. Now I pay online for free. Isn't that ridiculous???
    OK, so far this wins, that's the most preposterous thing I've ever heard of. One more reason for me to believe that the world is quickly coming to an unstoppable demise.
    07-14-08 05:06 PM
    It's the same when you file your taxes.

If you file via snail mail it's free (save for the $.42 stamp and cost of the envelope and paper, but who's counting?)
    If you file over the internet it costs $10 I think, even though you're actually saving the government money by doing this.

Wacky
    07-14-08 05:08 PM
    Amazing how everybody wants to nickel & dime you to death over things they should provide happily for free as part of customer service...

There's a thread about Verizon charging $20 to transfer your contacts to newly purchased phones
    I've never payed to get my numbers transferred over...they are suppossed to charge you but just say that customer service said they would do it for free. Ive never had an issue yet and Ive gone thru a lot of phones in the past few years. Just fight it if the situation ever comes up and keep that jackson in your pocket
    07-14-08 05:09 PM
    I have been with AT&T/SBC/Cingular/SNET for the entire
    26 years I have lived in CT, and not once has anyone charged
    me for paying a bill, be it landline or cellular in person.
    07-14-08 05:09 PM
    ......There is another sucker born every minute......I mean come on, I work on new engines. We are constantly trying to get big power from the motors, for what, to sell cars! Power doesn't drive the car or make it feel good, most people will NEVER get their car to peak power more than 5 times in the motors life. Do they carte about torque that makes the car feel like it drives better? Nope.....likely have no idea what it is......but they need 400hp! Sorry, I am venting.......

07-14-08 05:10 PM
    These days, "customer"="wallet with legs." Arm yourself with good research and don't let them jack you around.

07-14-08 05:50 PM

There's a thread about Verizon charging $20 to transfer your contacts to newly purchased phones. There are endless forums and posts about VZW ripping people off by crippling GPS and then forcing you into VZ Navigator...

And now this - BestBuy will happily go through the tedious process of pairing your Bluetooth with your phone... for $10.

Best Buy's $10 headset pairing service includes testing, finger pointing - Engadget
    Everything has a cost - whether it be monetary cost and/or the cost of the amount of your life and efforts you expend in order to get it........that being said.......I DO NOT work for free NOR do I expect anyone else to.......many well run business are leaned out - so many have opted for menu pricing so that consumers are only required to pay for those items they wish to consume............
    07-14-08 05:50 PM
    Kind of like at Hooters when they ask you if you want Ranch or Blue Cheese with that and then BANG extra charge on the bill. Everyone's taking advantage of you these days. It's a sign of the economy for many...and the rest of them just jump on the bandwagon. My friend was told the other day she needed Synthetic oil in her car only and she'd need to sign a release if she didn't do that, so she said OH WELL I'll sign it...then they gave her regular and never had her sign, she called VW and they said it wasn't necessry but it would have been an extra 50-60 bucks in their pocket. Gotta watch your arse!!!
    07-14-08 06:28 PM
    The $10 bluetooth deal isn't that big of a deal in my book since it is simple to do. But if I were best buy I'd make it a free service since that would cut down on the returns from dumb users. Plus its a nice incentive to bring bluetooth buyers into the store

07-14-08 07:21 PM
    Verizon has never charged me to transfer my phone and I get like 10 new phones in a year (till I got my curve) they just take the phone without asking and just do it then let me go on with my day :-).

As for the Bluetooth thing good thing I know how to do it myself LOL...
    07-14-08 09:29 PM
    So people should just do this stuff for you gratis?

What a perfect idea!

Why don't you come on over to my place on Thursday and mow my lawn. I'd do it myself, but I'll be too busy "nickle & dimeing" my clients, doing things for them that they either can't or have no inclination do for themselves.

I just can't for the life of me figure out where people acquire this lofty sense of entitlement.

07-14-08 10:10 PM

That's why you should have picked T-Mobile!
    07-14-08 10:45 PM
    It does pay to learn how to do things for yourself. Best Buy's Geek Squad offered to optimize my new laptop, guaranteeing a 30% increase in speed for $30. I'm not sure what they would have done, but I popped in some more ram and doubled the speed. It was pretty easy, but I still wonder about the optimization. They planted the seed in my head and I can't get it out. It's a good sell job, so why didn't it come optimized? I don't mind paying for something of value. How does one know if something like this has value. Next time though, I might buy a computer from someone who does it for free.

Last edited by exelant; 07-15-08 at 12:33 AM.
    07-14-08 11:08 PM
    I transferred my number over myself.....as annoying as that was.
    I figured out how to use my BB by myself.
    Do I think its silly to charge you to transfer your numbers over when you just spent $200 on a phone...or more-yes.
    i do think those fees for something so simple is a little ridiculous-but then again i wont pay them because I can do it myself
    07-14-08 11:27 PM
    All of this stuff sounds ridiculous!! Obviously, by my carrier listed above you can tell what company I am employed with. And we do not charge anything to transfer contacts. I've even done it for other carrier customers. Never burn a bridge...good moto. You never know when you may gain that customer due to a service problem from another carrier.
    As far as the bluetooth thing...set them up all the time for customers. If you buy one in store, you walk out with it paired. Even had customers bring in their laptops so we could install desktop manager for them.
    And we surely don't charge to pay your bill in person..I was actually amazed at the number of people that come into the store to pay though....hello the internet.
    Anyway, customer service is huge in this industry. With the market being oversaturated and pricing more competitive...cs is of utmost importance. And as far as sales....I was trained to sell the customer what they need, not what I want to sell to make commision off of. I take pride in knowing I work for a company that actually has the customer in mind.
    So as stated in an earlier post...not all customers=wallet with legs.
    07-15-08 12:28 AM
    If I remember correctly, they are going to start charging to pay over the phone as well. As ridiculous as it is, there is a reason to the madness.

The charging to pay in person is specifically intended to get you to not pay your bill in the store. It's not because they want your extra $5, it's because they see that as valuable time that a sales associate is not selling a new device or accesory to someone. Same goes for the over-the-phone paying. Time spent helping someone pay their bill is time not spent helping a customer with a real issue or setting up a new account.
    07-15-08 01:12 AM
    So people should just do this stuff for you gratis?

What a perfect idea!

Why don't you come on over to my place on Thursday and mow my lawn. I'd do it myself, but I'll be too busy "nickle & dimeing" my clients, doing things for them that they either can't or have no inclination do for themselves.

I just can't for the life of me figure out where people acquire this lofty sense of entitlement.

You gotta be joking. Just so we have some basis, here's a vid of a BT headset getting paired to an iPhone. YouTube - Tiny Bluetooth Headset - How to Pair by Cellex
    Two and a half minutes and it's not rushed. To charge someone 10 bucks for THAT after they purchased the headset from you is outrageous.
    07-15-08 01:31 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD