While researching another poster's question I stumbled across this:

EVDO info, EV-DO Coverage, Tips, News, Reviews, Verizon, Sprint : EVDOinfo.com

In a nutshell you can use these devices to hook a Blackberry, PCMICA, USB or Express cellular adapter to it and essentially have a wireless access point in your home and an Ethernet port for extending the network. It may sound redundant to some but think about it... plug in your BB and now have home wide PC or laptop or xbox or iPod or (you get the picture) access to WiFi at whatever speed your BB can handle. They all seem to work best right now with Sprint and Verizon but I see many are successful using other carriers as well.

Lots of things come to mind when you live in a rural, no DSL, no cable, no nothing except dialup or satellite as an internet option.
    12-18-08 09:52 AM
    That's pretty cool! Though I doubt you would want to use it for internet gaming...that requires a very high speed and a ton of bandwidth. Any non data unlimited plan would reach its limit in about an hour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 10:38 AM
    It won't work for everyone but with download speeds in the 600+ kbps for EVDO and 2 or 3 times dialup with 1xRTT it could be huge for areas that don't have other options.

You also have to keep in mind that both verizon and Sprint have monthly data caps of 5GB for $60 a month.

One of the routers can do load balancing for the power hungry so 2 cards @ $60 a month would give you a 10GB cap. Not perfect and not for everyone, but when you live at the end of the known world as far as broadband goes it's pretty dang exciting.
    12-18-08 11:00 AM
    Just wondering if anyone has tried this yet... ?
    01-02-09 08:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD