06-28-12 11:56 PM
50 12
tools
    People can't just leave because you can't be the only one with a blackberry. It would be good if they made a custom one for each of us but know I won't be able to afford one.

If we are "blackberry enthusiasts" we have to stand out and express/demand our desire and speak up and build the excitement not brushing people off to alienate them.

If we do this, we will be no different then the trolls that frequent crackberry.
    06-28-12 08:21 PM
    I'm not a fan of the negativity and now what will begin with the gloating and 'i told you so' replies and threads that will pop up. But These threads like you just made never get anywhere and just end up flame wars and locked.

But i do have to say after today, I've really lost a lot of faith RIM myself. I'm hoping for the best but I'm not so sure myself anymore.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    06-28-12 08:29 PM
    Right now, the worst enemy RiM and Blackberry have isn't the media but US, the consumer.

Yeah, most people would consider it a serious problem when a business's worst enemy are its customers.

We have to be our own advertising for the company until RiM gets itself together.

Why? Do you work for RIM? Sorry, but I'm not interested in RIM because I have some mythical soul-bond with the company. It's a fricking corporation. A corporation that exists to make stuff we want to buy. They are failing miserably at that. I find it really bizarre that people have such intense loyalty and religious fervor for companies that just happen to make stuff we like.

Every major company makes mistakes, especially high-profile ones that are big players in the mobile industry.

Yeah, but this isn't some small glitch. We're talking about a company that's been on a downward slide for a while and is literally betting its entire future on the success of BB10. Now BB10 is delayed until after the crucial back-to-school shopping season and the holiday season. It's delayed until after the iPhone 5 release, Android 4.1, and Windows 8. RIM is in a crucial make or break period, and they're looking more like they'll break.

Honestly, I just don't care. I like my Playbook and would like to keep getting updates, but the reality is is that it's just another gadget. When the next shiny thing comes along I'll probably sell it. Same goes with my Android phone and my iPad and whatever else I carry around. I just don't understand this fetishization of phones and the companies that make them. If RIM goes under (and I'm guessing it will-- I kind of doubt we'll ever even see a BB10 phone), big deal. Ten years from now some other company will hold the gleam in your eye and crazy fanbois will go to the mat for it too.

And really, this isn't "your house." This is a site to discuss RIM and Blackberrys, not a church. If you can't handle criticism of RIM, just close your eyes.
    06-28-12 08:37 PM
    The sad part is, that BB10 will be outdated before it even hits the market.....
    06-28-12 08:45 PM
    First off, there's a line between criticism and dragging something through the mud on the basis of heresy. Second, no one here is a market analyst so although they're doing pretty badly in the U.S., RiM is still holding their own on a global scale. Finally, if you bothered to read a few posts back, I said that I was referring to everyone who stayed loyal to RiM and Blackberry and not just me.

I never said it was something small but every company, EVERY SINGLE ONE, has made missteps in this industry both major and minor. RiM isn't the first one.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    06-28-12 08:46 PM
    EVERY SINGLE ONE, has made missteps in this industry both major and minor. RiM isn't the first one.
    Unfortunately, we are not talking about another company, we are talking about RIM.....
    06-28-12 08:54 PM
    Second, no one here is a market analyst so although they're doing pretty badly in the U.S., RiM is still holding their own on a global scale.
    They just released their Q1 results. They sold about 8 million phones in the quarter, compared to something like 13 million the previous year. If they're holding their own on the global market, that means the US sales are even more catastrophically bad. I would suspect that they are not holding their own.

I never said it was something small but every company, EVERY SINGLE ONE, has made missteps in this industry both major and minor. RiM isn't the first one.
    Yes, but this website and thread are about RIM, not Atari or Palm. And unlike Apple, Google, MS, etc., RIM's missteps keep coming and at the worst possible time. They're really in this danger zone where they are betting the whole the company on one product (BB10). Apple could release a terrible iPhone but the platform and ecosystem would remain unchanged--they could weather a failure for year. RIM doesn't have that luxury. There is no Plan B. Either BB10 is a huge success or they're done.
    Drew808 likes this.
    06-28-12 09:03 PM
    I agree with the OP. In all of half an hour the whole forum went from being relatively optimistic to "RIM WILL BE BANKRUPT TMW LOLZ BB USERS SUXXX". It's just ridiculous. OK, they screwed up. And Heins said it's because they want to release a perfect product, not another Playbook.

Let's put it into perspective: RIM bought a whole bunch of companies because their OS was way behind the times. They had to get everything working together (don't kid yourself, that isn't easy).

Someone has mentioned that Apple delivers every time. I'll tell you why: every version of OS X is a small increment, as is every version of iOS. BB10 is HUGE. Just like Vista was HUGE and took a big company like MS 5 years to release.

I know I'm going to get flamed like crazy for this, but I honestly don't care. Honestly, people at iMore are nicer to RIM.

So OP, thanks for posting, I was feeling awfully lonely for a while.
    voyager84 likes this.
    06-28-12 09:38 PM
    I agree with the OP. In all of half an hour the whole forum went from being relatively optimistic to "RIM WILL BE BANKRUPT TMW LOLZ BB USERS SUXXX". It's just ridiculous. OK, they screwed up. And Heins said it's because they want to release a perfect product, not another Playbook.

Let's put it into perspective: RIM bought a whole bunch of companies because their OS was way behind the times. They had to get everything working together (don't kid yourself, that isn't easy).

Someone has mentioned that Apple delivers every time. I'll tell you why: every version of OS X is a small increment, as is every version of iOS. BB10 is HUGE. Just like Vista was HUGE and took a big company like MS 5 years to release.

I know I'm going to get flamed like crazy for this, but I honestly don't care. Honestly, people at iMore are nicer to RIM.

BB10 is huge for blackberry, not for the industry. Its unfortunate, but blackberry has been lapped, I was looking forward to BB10 and the new devices, but I don't see how this can be a good thing for blackberry.
    06-28-12 09:48 PM
    BB10 is huge for blackberry, not for the industry. Its unfortunate, but blackberry has been lapped, I was looking forward to BB10 and the new devices, but I don't see how this can be a good thing for blackberry.
    I meant the change was huge. Compared to just updating an OS.

But yes, if it isn't really a huge deal to most people it's not going to get very far.
    06-28-12 09:54 PM
    They just released their Q1 results. They sold about 8 million phones in the quarter, compared to something like 13 million the previous year. If they're holding their own on the global market, that means the US sales are even more catastrophically bad. I would suspect that they are not holding their own.
    I didn't see any mention of actual subscriber numbers this time. Last quarter they stated 78 million, the quarter before 77 million. My guess is that the subscriber base did not grow that much (maybe to 78.1 million).
    06-28-12 10:15 PM
    H
    The Playbook is still here, which both gives you an idea of what to look for in BB10 and blows the competition away as far as form and function.
    It's certainly not blowing the competition away in sales, they sold a mere 250,000 this quarter. As far as function is concerned, RIM only recently added an email client and calendar.

The Nexus 7 is going to corner the market in 7" tablets (unless Apple starts selling one of course).
    06-28-12 10:21 PM
    It's a little hard to blow the competition away when carriers and sales reps do everything they can to steer possible customers away from the Playbook and onto something else. It goes back to what I said about us being our own ads for the company.

Granted the Nexus 7 looks like a beast of a tablet (even I'll admit that) but it's just feels like there's that special something missing.
    06-28-12 10:27 PM
    It's a little hard to blow the competition away when carriers and sales reps do everything they can to steer possible customers away from the Playbook and onto something else. It goes back to what I said about us being our own ads for the company.

Granted the Nexus 7 looks like a beast of a tablet (even I'll admit that) but it's just feels like there's that special something missing.
    special something? like what? a warm fuzzy feeling you get with your obsession with a brand of cell phone?

Do you really think playbook needed any help failing as bad as it did? c'mon now...

When RIM fails here in the very near future, take a deep breath....rest assured that the sun will still come up!!! Someone will scoop up the remaining pieces and your beloved BlackBerry will still work.
    06-28-12 10:34 PM

Hate to say it, but the playbook was not that great of a tablet, and that is being nice. Can you honestly name things that the playbook does better than the others......? So, you want to be a human ad for a company that does not care about their consumers? Blackberry has time and time disappointed their loyal users, this one may have been the last straw for many, hate to wake you up from your dream.
    06-28-12 10:58 PM
    The weird "RIM would be succeeding if it weren't for the evil tech media/carriers/sales reps/consumers who don't know what's good for them" statements are what really cross the line into outright delusion. There is no conspiracy brining RIM down; hard though it may be to admit, the company did that itself.

All that really needs to be said about how RIM found itself in its current situation is that the company won't release its first legitimate competitor to the iPhone until 2013.

Listen, as someone who still used his Nokia e71 even as the "burning platform" memo was released, I get what it's like when a favored tech company is teetering on the brink. But screaming at everyone to stop discussing the obvious negative news surrounding that company is when a fan base goes from "loyal" to "deluded."
    06-28-12 11:08 PM
    I just got back from setting the sales reps at my Sprint store, Radio Shack, AND Staples straight on RiM's status because they've been misled into thinking the company's going belly-up (WHICH THEY ARE NOT BECAUSE OF A FEW BAD STOCK REPORTS).
    No one is misleading anyone these are not a FEW BAD STOCK REPORTS! they are a reflection of a poorly run company that has no leadership and the 92% loss in equity is not going to recover ever. No company ever has! That is not trolling nor whining just facts.

The other fact is all boards have their population of various walks and although you call them trolls and yes there are a few, most are just here to vent frustration and if that bothers you just don't read them...and not worry in time many will eventually leave but then again reality will prevail and there will be more posters that you will not agree with so deal with it and quit your whining...
    06-28-12 11:10 PM

vista wasn't huge... it tanked, hard...........
    06-28-12 11:20 PM
    No one is misleading anyone these are not a FEW BAD STOCK REPORTS! they are a reflection of a poorly run company that has no leadership and the 92% loss in equity is not going to recover ever. No company ever has! That is not trolling nor whining just facts.

The other fact is all boards have their population of various walks and although you call them trolls and yes there are a few, most are just here to vent frustration and if that bothers you just don't read them...and not worry in time many will eventually leave but then again reality will prevail and there will be more posters that you will not agree with so deal with it and quit your whining...
    gotta agree, this board is frightening when someone comes on here and says something negative it's an automatic troll label. i got banned here months ago for posting something negative... then i complained to kevin and to rim, and well we won't go into details.....
    06-28-12 11:21 PM
    vista wasn't huge... it tanked, hard...........
    Serious? It was pretty much a complete overhaul.
    06-28-12 11:25 PM
    Serious? It was pretty much a complete overhaul.
    And a complete flop. Let us not mention its name in the same post as BB OS 10.
    06-28-12 11:34 PM
    Your house....you have 3 posts.
    I have a few more than 3, and I completely agree with him. Does that work any better for you?
    voyager84 likes this.
    06-28-12 11:44 PM
    word of advice kid, when and if things turn around for this company, the mood on these boards will turn around. when a family member dies, is anyone in the room optimistic? this is a dark period, this board reflects it. what is there to be optimistic about? bb10? the thing that was being touted at the jams as later this year, now it's next year? you should read the story about the boy who cried wolf, although it's a simple children's book, it's message applies here.
    Horsehockey. As long as I've been here, someone is always finding something to b!tch about. Even when there was good news, it was never good enough for a certain segment of the population.
    MasterOfBinary and voyager84 like this.
    06-28-12 11:49 PM
    Hey everyone. I've been a lurker here for quite a while but felt it was time to finally put my $0.02 in. First, my very first BlackBerry was an old Curve 8330 on Verizon back in '08. It was my first smartphone and I loved it like nothing else. Then I got a Storm 9550 and, in spite of it's problems, stuck with it. Then I was "seduced to the dark side" and got the G1 on T-Mobile and flirted with Android for a few years but it never felt right. I missed the look, the feel, the tight email integration, the security, even the notifications of BlackBerry. I eventually got rid of my latest Android, a Nexus S on Sprint, and bought the Bold 9930 the second it came out with a Curve 9350 as a backup later on. It finally feels like I've come back home after being gone for so long...

...and WTH do I find infesting my home?!? Trolls and whiny crybabies whining that "RiM is dead" or "RiM is gonna sell" or "Imma get an iPhone or Droid 'cause RiM is crap".

You know what?

You want to leave so bad? LEAVE!!! We don't need folk with that kind of attitude here in this house! Go ahead and go to your flash-in-the-pan "flavor of the month" if you want but DON'T bring that prissy, holier-than-thou, condescending attitude in this house!

Okay, so RiM made some bad mistakes under Mike and Jim. So what? Every major company makes mistakes, especially high-profile ones that are big players in the mobile industry. Wasn't it another certain fruit-flavored company that was under fire for putting people's personal data at risk with it's offerings last year? Where were the ugly comments then? How about when the mobile blackout happened after both a freak earthquake/hurricane ripped up the East Coast last year? Everyone else was shut down but it was BlackBerry, the so-called "dead technology" everyone loves to hate on, that kept people going in that crisis.

Now we hear BB10 is delayed until Q1 of 2013. So what? The OS7 devices are here now and still work fine. The Playbook is still here, which both gives you an idea of what to look for in BB10 and blows the competition away as far as form and function. Right now, the worst enemy RiM and Blackberry have isn't the media but US, the consumer. We have to be our own advertising for the company until RiM gets itself together. Bad attitudes and impatient, immature posts DO NOT HELP. I just got back from setting the sales reps at my Sprint store, Radio Shack, AND Staples straight on RiM's status because they've been misled into thinking the company's going belly-up (WHICH THEY ARE NOT BECAUSE OF A FEW BAD STOCK REPORTS).

I'm sorry for the lost post but I've had to sift through lost of bad posts lately and it's gotten on my nerves. But here I am, a BlackBerry fan to the end. I know it's not easy, and I also know people are fed up with waiting because the previous management left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. But I'm willing to wait.

Maybe I'm crazy.

Maybe I'm delusional.

But I will NOT give up on Research in Motion or Blackberry or be bullied/scared into going elsewhere right now. Thorsten Heins and his team have another 6-8 months to deliver and I know BB10 will be worth it. If I'm wrong, then so be it. But we'll just have to wait and see.
    i'm sorry but honestly this post seems to be the poster child of the behavior you're whining about. if you don't like people discussing reality maybe you should invest time on another forum. because someone isn't shooting rainbow lolipops out of their mouth regarding their opinions about RIM doesn't mean someone is trolling or even doing anything other than saying what they feel or what is the truth. how is YOUR opinion more valuable than anyone elses?
    06-28-12 11:55 PM
    Oh great, another country heard from.
    06-28-12 11:56 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD