RIM Reveals More PlayBook Details at WebWorks Developer Event - BerryReview

Some other info about playbook as well... but there is a "cavity" in the playbook evidently for a module but it is for the factory to use, a user cannot do it post - purchase ... or so this artical hints at.
    aawilson likes this.
    02-04-11 09:23 AM
    Yeah it seems like its an empty slot for a 4G radio so at least all the room for the hardware is there up front. I wouldn't try cracking open my wifi Playbook just to install that as I will use my BB for secure bt connection. If someone finds out what part exactly they're using, I wouldn't mind seeing a tutorial though. Interesting stuff.
    02-04-11 09:55 AM
    That's a good idea if it will allow you to turn your wifi PB into a 3G/4G one down the road.

IMO that gives your device more longevity. The Xoom will be offering the same thing upgrade from 3G to 4G.

What's the odds of the cavity being for a NFC module?
    02-04-11 10:09 AM
    Doesn't hurt to have an extra space for future upgrades. I'm sure those with the technical slash engineering know how will try to squeeze something there or through it.
    02-04-11 09:54 PM
    That's a good idea if it will allow you to turn your wifi PB into a 3G/4G one down the road.

IMO that gives your device more longevity. The Xoom will be offering the same thing upgrade from 3G to 4G.

What's the odds of the cavity being for a NFC module?
    this was talked about earlier and seems to be the real purpose of the cavity....and yes they need a new name for that lol
    02-04-11 10:02 PM
    this was talked about earlier and seems to be the real purpose of the cavity....and yes they need a new name for that lol
    BlackBerry Orifice

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    howarmat and Kerms like this.
    02-04-11 10:12 PM
    BlackBerry Orifice

hmmmmmm i vote yes
    NotJustAPhone likes this.
    02-04-11 10:14 PM
    lmao that is horrible :x
    02-04-11 10:16 PM
    BlackBerry Orifice

+1 for BlackBerry Orifice.
    That's pretty funny.

NotJustAPhone likes this.
    02-05-11 08:18 AM
    LOL

I rather have the ability to add a cellular radio than NFC
    02-05-11 08:36 AM
    lmao that is horrible :x
    After reading that it was called the "Module Cavity," I couldn't resist. How about the BlackHole instead?

Too bad it doesn't sound like it's designed for user upgrades, but at least RIM is planning ahead to allow for upgrades during production. Maybe they've finally realized that their more relaxed upgrade cycles aren't cutting it.
    02-05-11 04:53 PM
    The BlackBerry Extra.
    02-05-11 07:07 PM
    I don't know anything better to call it, but If you really want to find out what goes in there, you'll have to
    do
    a

cavity search.

02-05-11 07:13 PM
    I don't know anything better to call it, but If you really want to find out what goes in there, you'll have to
    do
    a

cavity search.

Just how intimate are you with your BB?
    02-05-11 07:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD