I'm not sure what people are upset about. I didn't find it to be a bad interview. Not a great one, but not bad. NOTHING compaired to TechCrunch & their drunk interviewers
    janos2808 likes this.
    01-12-12 06:34 PM
    That interview wasn't that bad at all I think. It was a casual interview in a casual setting.
    janos2808 likes this.
    01-12-12 06:47 PM
    tech radar uk is quite a nice site, PC Pro is my favorite and Im a subscriber to their magazine and trustedreviews is good too!
    01-12-12 06:52 PM
    The girl asked appropriate questions, the bearded guy is a douch. His questions were quite trollish, you could tell he was pandering to the masses who have written RIM off. He didn't even try to appear unbiased.
    01-12-12 07:06 PM
    The girl asked appropriate questions, the bearded guy is a douch. His questions were quite trollish, you could tell he was pandering to the masses who have written RIM off. He didn't even try to appear unbiased.
    I agree. Just watched the entire interview and don't think it deserves a comment like the title of this thread. It was a casual interview and valid questions were asked.

However, like you said Tim (the bearded guy) does look like a douch and didn't look very comfortable doing an interview imho.

What impressed me the most was Alec. He handled the questions much better than some other clowns would have in the same situation.
    Last edited by dynot; 01-12-12 at 09:21 PM.
    01-12-12 09:15 PM
    People are mad on here at Engadget, Gizmodo, and BGR. Any other sites you guys go to or is Crackberry the only place you are going to visit?
    I often wonder, we all know there's a handful of posters on CB that never share the pulse of the site. We all know who they are. Anyway, I'm stuck wondering what would possess someone to spend their days, scrolling the pages of a site dedicated to a product they clearly have no enthusiasm for. This handful of people to me seem like new age, old school bullies. I'm sure they were a pleasure back in the old sandbox days.
    With the media acting like the one stop shop for anything apple and slaming RIM at the same time for probucts they released 3 years ago. It is the easy thing to do.
    Thanks to the CBers that see through the media bile and all the other s@$?.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 01-12-12 at 09:55 PM.
    01-12-12 09:49 PM
    I thought it was kind of funny how he was saying " no plans for a bigger device"

and he was answered with, i like the size of this, we think it works.

and he was hit with .. what so you think you got it right in the first shot?

I would definitely agree that they did get it right, i actually don't really see the point of them coming out with a "10 inch" food tray to be honest.

Alec did a really good job, and the girl was actually pretty funny and i found her questions were quite good.

The only thing i will give engadget credit for is breaking the news on the playbook sale that made me purchase one
    01-12-12 10:28 PM
    Yea I think touch screen Ultrabooks are going to take a lot of the potential 10" tablet market. Why buy a tab when for just a bit more you can have a Ultrabook with a keyboard that is about the same size.
    01-12-12 11:59 PM
    People are mad on here at Engadget, Gizmodo, and BGR. Any other sites you guys go to or is Crackberry the only place you are going to visit?
    I frequent Mashable. Its a decent site ... so far. As of this week I've removed Engadget and TechCrunch from my bookmarks.
    01-13-12 12:20 AM
    Personally I think it's pretty appalling that someone would refer to another human being as thing and take potshots at them based on appearance and what it means about their gender identity. This is 2012. Grow up and realise that man, woman, gay, straight, transgendered, whatever... we are all humans who deserve respect.

What's worse is some of you went off on her because people perceived she insulted your cellphone.

It's pretty appalling.

Edit

Looks like the 'thing' comment had been scrubbed. Good.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 01-13-12 at 12:49 AM.
    pantlesspenguin and janos2808 like this.
    01-13-12 12:43 AM
    The interview wasn't as bad as it's been made out to see (that doesn't mean it was good though). Some hard hitting and well deserved questions were asked (just not in a professional manner). Honestly, I think Engadget did a good job with their coverage on Blackberry. Compare their review of OS 2.0 (BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 hands-on (video) -- Engadget) against Gizmodo (BlackBerry Playbook OS 2 Finally Turns the Playbook Into a Real Tablet) and you will see that they are far from the worst when it comes to Blackberry.
    01-13-12 12:49 AM
    The interview wasn't as bad as it's been made out to see (that doesn't mean it was good though). Some hard hitting and well deserved questions were asked (just not in a professional manner). Honestly, I think Engadget did a good job with their coverage on Blackberry. Compare their review of OS 2.0 (BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 hands-on (video) -- Engadget) against Gizmodo (BlackBerry Playbook OS 2 Finally Turns the Playbook Into a Real Tablet) and you will see that they are far from the worst when it comes to Blackberry.
    lol gizmodo (at least i think it was them) were the ones who went crying after not getting a torch or some other new device a year or 2 ago, they lost all respect i might of had for them at that point. As for the engadget interview, it was a `meh` at best, i cant really comment anything else on it that others havent said lol.
    All i wilkl say on engadget and tim stevens (dude on the right in the interview) they lost any kudos i may have for them when they did the PB review, if ya watch the original review, the vid goes a lil summat like tim saying `heres xxx (dude that did the QNX car vid for the verge, dont remember his name) and he`s out BB expert, now im going to review this device not him` i mean thats like giving steve ballmer a iOS device to review lol.

As for techcrunch, iv never vistied their site (or if i did it wasnt a memorable experience) but i did see the video, now the dude in there said their viewers were down, its not hard to see why. drunk, arrogant, abnoxious and just plain unprofessional would be how id describe it

the sites i generally visit are CB (duhh lol) N4bb, tracyandmatt.co.uk and the verge. i find them to be the most genuine and impartial
    01-14-12 09:37 AM
    Well, I got quite angry @ the begining, but resisted quitting just for a maybe bad style/orientation/hair cut/orwhatever. The end of the interview is quite ok, mostly with Alec Sanders being very open minded and pedagogic.
    Since this is not what I call a "Tech" anything, let's not make a big deal with it.
    01-14-12 11:05 AM
    I too would reccomend The Verge. I enjoy their mobile Podcast as they cover a bunch of topics. The website is a bit hard to read. I assume the most popular stories bubble up to the top. That's why I prefer the mobile site as the stories appear in chronological order.
    01-14-12 12:52 PM
    Who cares about that interview. I just left verizon. I asked to see the torch specifically. He said its a bad value for how much I'd pay and he couldn't recommend it. somehow I ended up looking at the HTC Rezound a couple minutes later. told me if I'm tired of Android I'm better off just getting an iPhone.

I think that stuff matters more than some non factor interview only technology heads care about.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    01-14-12 01:07 PM
    Personally I think it's pretty appalling that someone would refer to another human being as thing and take potshots at them based on appearance and what it means about their gender identity. This is 2012. Grow up and realise that man, woman, gay, straight, transgendered, whatever... we are all humans who deserve respect.

What's worse is some of you went off on her because people perceived she insulted your cellphone.

It's pretty appalling.

Edit

Looks like the 'thing' comment had been scrubbed. Good.

Not everyone agrees that all people deserve the same respect. We don't want to start that type of social conversation on this site for sure. There are social norms or expectations for showing up to certain functions, event, jobs, etc no matter what someone desires, etc. The term individuality has its limits. You cannot show to an office job naked. Whether you agree with the norms and predominate views is a different story. No body started attacking sexuality, etc and let's hope that does not enter into the conversation or the views will get ugly quickly.

I hate when people say "why can't we all just get along" and "everyone deserves respect". Respect is showing up dressed business like for an interview in some peoples' view.
    01-15-12 09:37 AM
    Last I checked referring to someone as thing is an attack on their orientation when it was used in the way it was earlier in this thread There were several
    posts in that vein and that's what I was referring to. They have since been scrubbed and hopefully the posters got a handslap. I doubt they are self aware enough to realise they are wrong.

And I dont agree that anyone should have to dress to societal norms to conduct an interview at a tech convention. So do men married to men (or women to women) have to hide that too if they are at work because it's 'business'? Can't have a picture on their desk?

01-15-12 10:40 AM

And I dont agree that anyone should have to dress to societal norms to conduct an interview at a tech convention. So do men married to men (or women to women) have to hide that too if they are at work because it's 'business'? Can't have a picture on their desk?

If I was in a position to being interviewed and the interviewers came out looking rediculous, my responses would be drastically different, the indepth interview they may have hoped for would be gone, as they didn't respect me to look the part, I wouldn't respect them to go the extra mile in the interview.

Same with Job interviews, when I was involved in the hiring process, be it office admin, or fork lift driver, if you showed up in Jeans, your interview lasted less than 5 minutes, and your resume went in the trash. Social norms need to be respected when interacting in the public for a business, unless your business IS to shock and awe, which as far as I know Engadget isn't in that business.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    01-15-12 11:39 AM
    If I was in a position to being interviewed and the interviewers came out looking rediculous, my responses would be drastically different, the indepth interview they may have hoped for would be gone, as they didn't respect me to look the part, I wouldn't respect them to go the extra mile in the interview.

Same with Job interviews, when I was involved in the hiring process, be it office admin, or fork lift driver, if you showed up in Jeans, your interview lasted less than 5 minutes, and your resume went in the trash. Social norms need to be respected when interacting in the public for a business, unless your business IS to shock and awe, which as far as I know Engadget isn't in that business.
    Fork lift driver shows up in a suite for an interview. Sounds pretty stupid. Maybe the Muslim woman shouldn't cover if she wants. To work for me... That's not "normal" round these parts, you know.

Maybe he can't afford. Anything else. He is trying to get a job, is he not. Sorry. That comment of yours comes across as snobbery to me.

Looks like empathy is almost extinction these days.

Fortunately, I didn't serve in the CN military, or ideas be wishing. For. The years of my life back after reading that. That's really offensive to me, sorry.

01-15-12 01:20 PM
    Fork lift driver shows up in a suite for an interview. Sounds pretty stupid. Maybe the Muslim woman shouldn't cover if she wants. To work for me... That's not "normal" round these parts, you know.

Maybe he can't afford. Anything else. He is trying to get a job, is he not. Sorry. That comment of yours comes across as snobbery to me.

Fortunately, I didn't serve in the CN military, or ideas be wishing. For. The years of my life back after reading that. That's really offensive to me, sorry.

The bulk of deRusett's point is in the first part of his post. It's not snobbery, it's common courtesy in an interview setting. Good job interviewees are expected to dress professionally (unless otherwise specified by the interviewer when setting up the interview), have some of their own questions/comments prepared (showing they took the time to research the company and position they are applying for), etc. You want to make a positive impression that makes you stand out against the other dozens of applicants for that position. The person who comes in wearing a suit will be thought of more favorably than the person who comes in wearing jeans because the person in the suit was courteous enough to look nice for the interview.

As far as the Engadget interview, I thought some great questions were asked but I hated how both interviewers butted into Alec's answer before he had a chance to fully answer the question! And the woman's attire was a bit distracting. I've been to plenty of professional and nonprofessional conventions and members of the press and those giving the demonstrations always were dressed in AT LEAST business casual attire. If I had been there and seen her walking around I would've assumed she was just a techie just to see the sights and not a member of the press.
    01-15-12 02:58 PM
    If you say so.

My opinion won't change.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    01-15-12 06:29 PM

Out of curiosity, did you use voice dictation to write this post? It's hard to read.
    01-16-12 06:39 AM
    Out of curiosity, did you use voice dictation to write this post? It's hard to read.
    No. I'm tired of fixing the terrible Autocorrect in this keyboard. That's all. Its hard for me bbread as well but think it still gets the point across.

01-16-12 11:18 AM
    No. I'm tired of fixing the terrible Autocorrect in this keyboard. That's all. Its hard for me bbread as well but think it still gets the point across.

Oh wow, I don't know how you put up with that. Not good. I had to read it 3 times to make sense of it. You should try a 9900 keyboard. Personally I couldn't let a message go out like that.
    01-16-12 12:12 PM
    That wasn't hard to read at all lol. Just use common sense and it is pretty easy.
    01-16-12 01:17 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD