After watching the truly awful, rude, uninformed and unprofessional interview that Engadget did with Alec Saunders yesterday from CES I have decided to stop visiting the site. I truly see why "tech" bloggers and reporters put out garbage because anyone who has used a smartphone before seems to be able to say they are tech savvy or an expert. They had no clue what they are talking about (said that RIM was unprofitable even though Alec corrected the thing that made the statement), and the interviewer asking most of the questions looked like she crawled out of a freak show, while the other guy at least wore a suit but was just as clueless. You are interviewing a Senior VP of a major corporation, at least get people to do the interview who have the ability to look and act professional for a 10 minute span of their life. If those are the type of people reporting at Engadget then I can safely say it is garbage site. May have to start going back to BGR because even though I don't think Geller isn't really a true technical guy, he seems to at least be able to be professional. Anyone know of any good sites that provide similar information but carry themselves in a professional manor?
    01-12-12 09:15 AM
    i visit engadget frequently as well for tech news. theyre ok most of the time.

try googling tech crunch...its another similar site to engadget.
    01-12-12 09:28 AM
    Tech Crunch had a terrible interview at CES as well. The interviewers were apparently drunk
    01-12-12 09:36 AM
    Tech Crunch had a terrible interview at CES as well. The interviewers were apparently drunk
    They were drunk? How professional...
    01-12-12 09:58 AM
    hmmm...well i guess tech crunch isnt so recommended afterall. i did visit it a couple of times be4 but found it similar to engadget so i just stuck with engadget.
    another one i frequent is pcworld...but as name implies its more about computing than gadgets overall.
    01-12-12 10:02 AM
    Props to Alec for handling that interview so well. What a freak on set, didn't even try to dress up and look professional?
    CDM76 and Jake2826 like this.
    01-12-12 10:07 AM
    and the interviewer asking most of the questions looked like she crawled out of a freak show, while the other guy at least wore a suit but was just as clueless.
    That was no girl. But obviously looking for attention. I think the name was Marion. If you recall, John Wayne's real name was Marion Morrison. He wasn't trying to be a girl either.
    01-12-12 10:27 AM
    People are mad on here at Engadget, Gizmodo, and BGR. Any other sites you guys go to or is Crackberry the only place you are going to visit?
    01-12-12 10:31 AM
    It is not about being mad at any of those sites but rather a concern about trash, misinformed reporting...

1. Is RIM profitable or not? Can easily be verified by a quick search of the financial results.

2. Is the QNX platform so bad that it cannot compete with iOS 1?

3. Did the co CEO's really lie about the LTE chipset? It is fair to speculate that they did but to blatantly and publicly call them liars is something else.

Anyway, I continue to read all those sites because among some of the drivel you do actually get some good stuff.
    01-12-12 10:53 AM
    to be frank, i found the video alright. It was like a very casual chat, with poking from engadget at RIM. Nothing wrong with that. it was not nearly as offensive and disgusting as the one done by tech crunch with Alex from RIM. That was just completely unnecessary, unproductive and uncouth.

How a person chooses to dress up is up to them IMO. The guy in the suit was clueless. At least the other presenter asked related questions and is familiar with recent news and rumours about RIM. Granted they were asking things that we already knew, but for users who dont keep track of BB news and rumours, the interview highlighted a few of them. Though not all positive or entirely correct. But still, very few media these days are unbiased. Humans have emotions, a little bias-ness is normal. But then again, RIM does have quite a few things we could pick on for 2011 even for BB fans like ourselves.

I'm a pretty neutral on such things, a little poking and making fun is fine for me. Even while working retail at a Apple authorised retailer and being the owner of many apple products, i poke fun at apple for making stupid products and doing stupid things as well every so often. Even apple fan sites complain about some apple products. If everybody play nice and only say nice things there wouldn't be improvements. Improvements comes from feedbacks, constructive ones.

i still maintain that the choice of mobile is a purely personal choice. Different people wants different things from their phone. If you don't like their products, there's no point giving unnecessary comments. Just like i don't say things like "iphone is a lousy product because it doesnt have a physical keyboard" just because i prefer a physical keyboard and blackberry products. There's just no point. (just so you know, that was just an example, i think the iphone is a great product, but just not the product for me.)

and of course, props to Alec for handling the interview beautifully.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 01-12-12 at 11:04 AM.
    Snap51 and robkd like this.
    01-12-12 11:01 AM
    A bad interview like this won't make me stop visiting a site. Unfortunately it happens with many of the tech sites. I agree with the dress code statements and the fact they misstated RIM's profitability, etc. Disappointing but not horrible. If this were the norm, that would change my traffic habits in terms of going to Engadget. I like the site overall, but then again I don't think BGR is as bad as some do here.
    01-12-12 11:50 AM
    Mobile Tech Review is my favorite. Lisa is always VERY fair and unbiased in her reviews.
    01-12-12 12:03 PM
    i do my own reviews by using the devices i like

it doesn't matter what other people think about the devices i decide to purchase because i am capable of making informed decisions all my myself, like a big boy

peace

there is no reason for me to base any decision i make on somebody elses opinion on whatever product is "reviewed", like seriously, lmao

person a) "big pete said he disliked the placement of the 't' key cover on the qwerty keyboard case by ShartShield�"

person b) "WHAT? well, i am certainly going to stay away from those Acme� brand ShartShield� cases for my next qwerty device, due to big pete's 't' key observation."
    Lead_Express likes this.
    01-12-12 12:56 PM
    I use Google News and then you can pick from several different articles on most topics.

@buckwylder You shouldn't base your choice on a review, but it's always good to see what other people see in a device as pros and cons. It's just more info going into the decision. You don't even have to agree with the review to get info.
    01-12-12 01:13 PM
    that's true, some info is gained by reading reviews, i just like to make stupid jokes

however, on that note, most of the info i would retain from any review would be the same information likely found directly on the packaging of the product, lol

peace ya'll
    Last edited by buckwylder; 01-12-12 at 01:19 PM.
    01-12-12 01:16 PM
    I used to enjoy reading engadget (and loved the podcast) but I stopped reading there after Joshua, Nilay(sp), Paul, and basically all the good writers left. They started their own site though
    The Verge
    I also like:
    TechnoBuffalo - Immerse Yourself in Technology
    www.crackberry.com (obvious!)
    BerryReview - BlackBerry News and Reviews You Can Use
    And all of the mobile nations sites.
    01-12-12 01:17 PM
    When I'm gearing up to buy a new device, I like all the information possible. I like to see HOW things work, and that's where video reviews come in. I like watching unboxing videos and first impressions. Those things HELP me decide if something is right for me. I might disagree with the reviewer on some things and that's fine. I just want to see the device in action before I buy it. If there's something I want to try out that's important to me, I'll play with a store's dummy unit. For example, how fast a device locks on to GPS is important to me, but VERY rarely does this come up in tech reviews.
    01-12-12 02:29 PM
    You are interviewing a Senior VP of a major corporation, at least get people to do the interview who have the ability to look and act professional for a 10 minute span of their life.
    While I do agree that they should have at least tried to ask better questions, just because the guy is a Senior VP doesn't make him anything special, and doesn't mean he should get a different level of respect than if it had been an engineer. If I recall, RIM has had some trouble with senior VPs who didn't seem to behave whilst on a plane...

CES is also a relaxed affair. So what if you get some bozos trying to trip up RIM? It makes RIM look better, actually, he handled it well.

As for other sites, PCMag isn't bad either if you're looking for reviews and opinions.
    01-12-12 03:31 PM
    Ridiculous that they couldn't even bother to get dressed for the interview. Call it a casual interview or not, you should still show some respect with the way you dress. The guy was clueless and needs to shave. The woman (I think?) asked some related questions but clearly didn't care about the interview.
    01-12-12 03:38 PM
    Ridiculous that they couldn't even bother to get dressed for the interview. Call it a casual interview or not, you should still show some respect with the way you dress. The guy was clueless and needs to shave. The woman (I think?) asked some related questions but clearly didn't care about the interview.
    He's not a woman. Assuming Mikey isn't short for Michele, I'd bet he has all the same components you do. If he's trans, I doubt he's fully transed yet.
    01-12-12 04:19 PM
    Like any site out there, folks should seek out most articles for their news value and only look for product guidance from trusted sources (i.e., not some fresh out of college blogger).

Sites like Gizmodo, BGR, Engadget & Tech Crunch have their value, mostly because of the sheer number and variety of tech products they get their hands on. I read their reviews, but try to focus more on the breakdown of the product and less on their opinion of it. There are really only three sites where I really want to know what they think about new tech: Consumer Reports, AllThingsD, and The Verge. Brand specific sites (this one, TUAW, Mac Rumors, etc) all have their value too....but there are too many folks on those sites that are so locked into one particular brand to justifiably expect much in the way neutrality.

At the end of the day it should be more on us to determine what is best for us and the only way to do that is to take a new device for a test drive. Do your research and if you think it is potentially for you....go get one and return if necessary.
    01-12-12 04:23 PM
    TechCrunch and Engadget are owned by the same parent company - AOL
    01-12-12 04:27 PM
    After watching the truly awful, rude, uninformed and unprofessional interview that Engadget did with Alec Saunders yesterday from CES I have decided to stop visiting the site. I truly see why "tech" bloggers and reporters put out garbage because anyone who has used a smartphone before seems to be able to say they are tech savvy or an expert. They had no clue what they are talking about (said that RIM was unprofitable even though Alec corrected the thing that made the statement), and the interviewer asking most of the questions looked like she crawled out of a freak show, while the other guy at least wore a suit but was just as clueless. You are interviewing a Senior VP of a major corporation, at least get people to do the interview who have the ability to look and act professional for a 10 minute span of their life. If those are the type of people reporting at Engadget then I can safely say it is garbage site. May have to start going back to BGR because even though I don't think Geller isn't really a true technical guy, he seems to at least be able to be professional. Anyone know of any good sites that provide similar information but carry themselves in a professional manor?
    try TheVerge.com, they are the old engadget team who left engadget because of a rift with AOL(engadget's parent company) and started a new site called TheVerge in partnership with Vox media. It is not that they are Blackberry favorites but atleast sound professional and bearable to a degree. Also they are on the path to become the new Number 1 in tech journalism replacing Engadget from the top.

I know that new engadget team is a pure joke as I listen to their podcasts. In btw, the beard fellow in the interview is their editor-in-chief.
    01-12-12 04:38 PM
    I realized Engadget was trash when for every product they had "hands-on" in the title with no video or anything in the actual article itself.

It was more of a preview.

I just wished The Verge was more blog-like. Would make it easier. And I would have switched in a heart beat. Also have Engadgets coverage.
    01-12-12 05:32 PM
    Alex Saunders and the interviewer on the left look eerily similar.

Here's the link to the video interview:
    Live from the Engadget CES Stage: an interview with RIM (update: video embedded) -- Engadget
    01-12-12 05:43 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD