Dear All,

I am a BlackBerry die hard user and love CrackBerry for wealth of practical information people are sharing here.

Recently, however, I got important information with absolute no public comment on it anywhere, even CrackBerry. My mobile service provider- Plus (in Poland) send me a text massage that as of 30th June 2018 they are discontinuing BlackBerry service. I suppose they want to free up the bandwidth for other uses.

I am using good old BB 9900 with a BIS plan. I intentionally never upgraded because of BIS coverage (able to send and receive e-mails on the go even if the signal is too small for voice calls, disregarding all the roaming data usage obstackles, etc.).

I was intending to use BIS/ BB 9900 to the very end, ie end of 2019 as declared by BlackBerry as a deadline for functionality of BIS.

Now, 1,5 year before the deadline, I am stuck with no knowledge of what is going to happen next. In Poland all 4 major GSM operateors used to provide BIS/BES service. I do not know if the other three are going to go the same direction as Plus or is there any (which one?) that will continue till the end of 2019.

I see a few options and thank you in advance for commenting on them:

1) Chose a different gsm provider in Poland with BIS support (which one?)
    2) Upgrade to BlackBerry classic as a closest substitute to 9900 (would it work without Blackberry service support from operator? some of the data on BB10 were still going through BIS/BEs servers, didn't they?)
    3) Buy a BIS plan from an operator outside Poland (eg Germany?, which one?). With now EU flat rates for all mobile usage (phones, data) it should work.
    4) Upgrade to KeyOne (con- its too big for me, I like to have it small and discrete)
    5) Stay with BB 9900 and relay on substitute e-mail client like LogicMail.

Any guys from Poland or another country with carriers getting out of Blackberry service with similar problems and confusion?

Warm Regards,

Sati1
    05-07-18 06:38 PM
    Dear All,

I am a BlackBerry die hard user and love CrackBerry for wealth of practical information people are sharing here.

Recently, however, I got important information with absolute no public comment on it anywhere, even CrackBerry. My mobile service provider- Plus (in Poland) send me a text massage that as of 30th June 2018 they are discontinuing BlackBerry service. I suppose they want to free up the bandwidth for other uses.

I am using good old BB 9900 with a BIS plan. I intentionally never upgraded because of BIS coverage (able to send and receive e-mails on the go even if the signal is too small for voice calls, disregarding all the roaming data usage obstackles, etc.).

I was intending to use BIS/ BB 9900 to the very end, ie end of 2019 as declared by BlackBerry as a deadline for functionality of BIS.

Now, 1,5 year before the deadline, I am stuck with no knowledge of what is going to happen next. In Poland all 4 major GSM operateors used to provide BIS/BES service. I do not know if the other three are going to go the same direction as Plus or is there any (which one?) that will continue till the end of 2019.

I see a few options and thank you in advance for commenting on them:

1) Chose a different gsm provider in Poland with BIS support (which one?)
    2) Upgrade to BlackBerry classic as a closest substitute to 9900 (would it work without Blackberry service support from operator? some of the data on BB10 were still going through BIS/BEs servers, didn't they?)
    3) Buy a BIS plan from an operator outside Poland (eg Germany?, which one?). With now EU flat rates for all mobile usage (phones, data) it should work.
    4) Upgrade to KeyOne (con- its too big for me, I like to have it small and discrete)
    5) Stay with BB 9900 and relay on substitute e-mail client like LogicMail.

Any guys from Poland or another country with carriers getting out of Blackberry service with similar problems and confusion?

Warm Regards,

Sati1
    With all uncertainty around BB10 as well in 18 months or so, just get the KEYone. Moving from BIS to BB10 to BBAndroid takes some getting used to. All three are similar yet different at same time. Just skip past BB10 and go to BBAndroid. The KEYone has been out long enoiugh that should feel confident with the phone. Youll get used to size, and youll wonder how you managed on smaller 9900 all this long....
    05-07-18 09:46 PM
    Moving to Android/iOS is the only option that isn't at best a stopgap measure.
    05-07-18 09:47 PM
    I would recommend checking with the other 3 carriers in Poland to see if they offer BIS. Should just be 3 phone calls.
    05-08-18 12:16 AM
    If I was in your position and really attached to that device my options would progress in this order.
    1. Call around the other networks and ask about BIS availability including planned termination dates then choose the one with the longest support.
    2. If 1st option fails for any reason. Buy a classic as backup and test logicmail after June 1st to make sure you are happy with the functionality.
    If logicmail works for you great, sell the classic and you'll not lose any money.
    If it doesn't work out, take the classic out and move over to BB10. It's not as dire a situation as some on here will tell you, you can't buy paid apps but everything else is working perfectly and once 2020 rolls around we may lose the app store, but your phone won't just stop working overnight.

Powered by BB10
    05-08-18 03:18 AM
    If I was in your position and really attached to that device my options would progress in this order.
    1. Call around the other networks and ask about BIS availability including planned termination dates then choose the one with the longest support.
    2. If 1st option fails for any reason. Buy a classic as backup and test logicmail after June 1st to make sure you are happy with the functionality.
    If logicmail works for you great, sell the classic and you'll not lose any money.
    If it doesn't work out, take the classic out and move over to BB10. It's not as dire a situation as some on here will tell you, you can't buy paid apps but everything else is working perfectly and once 2020 rolls around we may lose the app store, but your phone won't just stop working overnight.