RIM has always been behind other manufactures, they never innovated anything other then their push email system. And it has worked for them just fine. I don't know why so many people are expecting them to come out with something new that will blow their mind. 4G? Never mind 4G, 3G is not reliable yet, yesterday in Belfast 3G wasn't working all day, had to switch back to 2G. RIM is making brilliant use of older technology and making work very well.
    Also why do you need a faster processor, I can't keep up with my 9700, what use would it be to have a faster processor. Is this a look at my horse power figure situation where what really matters is the torque?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I feel 3G is pointless on the blackberry mainly because the browser isn't able to handle anything as intensive as an android or apple device is. Everything is watered down, slow, or not accessible. I don't need my emails in .5 seconds as opposed to 1 second after it hit the inbox.

06-08-10 11:20 AM
    Ha! Well stated, QB, and I concur. Perhaps I've been overly optimistic. Unfortunately, I all too often leave, shaking my head and wondering just what the **** brought me back in the first place. There are times when I'm either a. able to help someone who seems genuinely appreciative or, b. get an answer myself, for which I'm genuinely appreciative and finally, c. to actually learn something on a level that I'm not generally knowledgeable about.

It is all the childish antics that drive me up the wall, like a post I got caught up in recently where the OP, a college student who simply HAD to have his SMS/Texts INSTANTLY, and thus, frequently texted while driving. He thought this was just fine, he "hadn't hurt anyone yet" and felt he was far more capable with his increased dexterity and reaction time then us old farts. He even stated that with today's cars, nobody can get hurt. I have no idea why I banged my head against the wall with him, so yeah, I must have a masochistic streak in me. ::: sigh :::

Which is the reason I don't come to this site much anymore. The same ranters complaining about a device they hate yet own. Then they try to shove their ideas of what they want down my throat and call me complacent, naive and naive for not wanting those things. Then there are the marketshare quoters who must report on every 1% blip as if they had something at stake - they need validation for their decisions
    I can be gone two weeks, come back, and it's the same rant fest from the same participants. Or new trolls.
    So I stay away, sneak a peek, get nauseous, go to a couple of forums, and go live my life with my 9700, go to work with my newly work-provided Tour, and don't worry about everyone else's narcissistic op eds about how much they think I'm missing.
    End of the day, it's a tool to get things done, not validation of who I am as a human being.
    06-08-10 12:16 PM
    I really love the Incredible and have thought about leaving my blackberry for one. (never for and Iphone. Droid is so much better)
    However, a storm with OS 6 might be the berry to keep me. It won't be an Incredible, but the new OS and browser with much improved speed and the ability to keep my push email will be good enough to keep me on the BB wagon for now.
    06-08-10 12:26 PM
    I agree and there's certainly nothing wrong with stating wishes/desires. But to put all of that in the context of "RIM=Epic Fail" is simply childish and pointless. Sure, I wish I had a faster browser and Flash compatibility but honestly, beyond browser issues, there is not much that I honestly yearn for. My Storm 1 worked great after OS 5.0, just short of memory. My Storm 2 is terrific, I love it. As for camera quality, it's totally irrelevant for me. I'm a professional photographer, lol, and there will never be a day in my lifetime when a chip the size of a match head will yield sufficient resolution. I was just reading about the Nokia N8's 12 MP camera. A marketer's dream, megapixles are, because they are basically meaningless numbers when taken as a single number, but consumers flock to it. My backup camera, a $5000 Nikon, is 12.5 MP and I know there are some who would think that their Nokia camera must take photographs on par with my Nikon. Hilarious.

Good, civil debate, even with a bit of edginess to it, is great, but to have to sift through all the stupidity to find a good post, is simply getting tiresome I've learned a great deal from these forums, both good and bad and sometimes, the bad begins to weigh on me. My post was just such a moment, I think that may have been my first rant? whoa!

I think that for most people it comes down to "I love BBs but I wished they did this and that, as these other phones already do" and honestly, can you blame them? I don't use apps so I am not one of those typical consumer market people that want the iPhone just for the apps. I barely use the few BB ones I have... but I do care about other specs like camera quality, browsing speed, ability to open flash and silverlight pages, and other "mature" things people should look in cellphones IMO, and sorry... just compare the E73 that's coming to T-Mobile to the 9700. It has the trackpad too, something that was "big" for long time RIM users. Sure, RIM might want to keep to the niche of business people, but I mean, they could have the same business phones they have now AND work on something more on the consumer market side. For example, the Storm brand, my friend had the first Storm. I'm sorry, money wasted by RIM, it was TERRIBLE. Storm2 didn't turn any heads either. So why not either concentrate on sole qwerty phones, or maybe do a line of touch-screens with kick *** apps like the iPhone? I mean seriously, the Facebook app for example, its atroucious on the BB, and yet RIM hasen't done anything about it. Twitter? I use UberTwitter personally. Just examples of course.

Nokia E73 Mode vs. BlackBerry Bold 9700 - GSMArena.com

I mean, I love the 9700 and will stick with it for a while probably, but other than how fast email is received and sent on the BB, everything else is better on the E73 for example. Granted, I know many Americans don't like Nokia and Symbian but I am from Italy so I was always mroe exposed to Nokia which rules worldwide.
    06-08-10 12:26 PM
    Says the guy sucking the Jobs teet.

dead

rofl
    06-08-10 12:30 PM
    I never said that RIM is some innovating giant. I just find it funny, and ironic that people argue that RIM doesn't innovate, but then act like Apple is on the cutting edge. The only things Apple has really "innovated" in the mobile phone market are a finger friendly OS, well run app store, and advertising that expertly plays on people's stupidity.

It was pointing out the irony of the people who think Apple is cutting edge.
    While I don't agree with all the "RIM is dead" threads, to say Apple isn't innovative is just on the opposite side of the spectrum. Apple pushed the envelope which is actually good for us consumers. I don't understand why people are against it.
    06-08-10 12:56 PM
    I agree 100%. Joel, I think you've over-simplified the issue. I am not a fan of Apple in general or the iPhone, but there are certainly things I admire about the iPhone and Apple (I wouldn't mind having an iPad II ("What? no USB PORTS? You're kidding me, right?") but I will acknowledge that within the constraints of practical application of technology, they do serve as leaders. They have certainly cornered the market in terms of popularity and while popularity itself does not equal "leading edge" or "ground breaking" it is a good indicator that the device is meeting the demands of their demographic/marketplace. To condemn them as "no biggie" (to paraphrase you), is not fair nor very realistic. I doubt I'll ever want an iPhone, but I give them their due props.

While I don't agree with all the "RIM is dead" threads, to say Apple isn't innovative is just on the opposite side of the spectrum. Apple pushed the envelope which is actually good for us consumers. I don't understand why people are against it.
    06-08-10 01:44 PM
    it's funny how a company (Apple) relies on one product and gets soooo many oooos and aaaaaahs, and another (RIM), having many models, catering to many carriers and consumer groups, gets so much crap sometimes.

GO THE IPHONE WAY, let us BB owners in peace...
    06-08-10 02:03 PM
    Put a bb touch screen device to an iphone and apples crushs blackberries. I don't like apple, but I'm not blind or ignorant to what they have.
    Yet, you're ignorant enough to argue (weakly) against personal preference.
    06-08-10 02:09 PM
    Opera Mini is an "okay" browser the chances of BB/RIM doing something better highly unlikely. I'm pretty sure there thinking is, its a phone you dont need to surfer the web
    The new browser will use the same kind of server-compression setup that Opera Mini utilizes. Couple that with a fluid UI (Opera Mini is horrendously sluggish) and already you have a better browser.
    06-08-10 02:12 PM
    Yet, you're ignorant enough to argue (weakly) against personal preference.
    1st mistake: you assuming I'm arguing. My "ignorant" was to people who have the idea that NOTHING beats a blackberry, not the poster I quoted who merely sparked my thoughts. Also, my personal opinion. There is no BEST, but sometimes you have to admit that even though you think yours is best, doesn't mean you're king. I see why someone posted about not even craving to post here because of saying something worthwhile you tell me why I'm ignorant. +1 for you? I think not.

06-08-10 02:13 PM
    1st mistake: you assuming I'm arguing.
    You quote my post and provide examples of why you think I'm wrong. That's arguing in my book.

My "ignorant" was to people who have the idea that NOTHING beats a blackberry, not the poster I quoted who merely sparked my thoughts.
    I don't think anyone here has the idea that BlackBerrys are perfect (only people who say it's the perfect phone for them, which is absolutely reasonable). There are plenty of people here with the idea that iPhones and Androids are superior in "every way" to BlackBerrys though.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 06-08-10 at 02:25 PM.
    06-08-10 02:19 PM
    Like others have repeatedly stated, RIM's bread and butter is in the business sector. With that said, they have a solid Infrastructure with regards to everyday business communication, so I don't see this company vanishing any time soon.

Here is where RIM is in danger. They stepped in to the "mainstream" arena along with Apple, and now Android. They had flashy adds for both Storms, the "All you need is Love" campaign, yada yada yada. Then the next commercial you see is for one of those "There's an App for that" ads, and you're like, "well sheesh, wish my phone could do that!". Not only can your phone NOT do that, if it did, it wouldn't have the memory to download and install the thing in the first place. (I'm talking as a First Gen Storm user whom for the most part enjoyed the phoned, but it is now long in the tooth).

This is where RIM failed IMO. They need to get back to the basics and stick with the corporate sector and innovate on that level, because both Android and Apple are eyeing this segment with a lot of business friendly features that may be mainstream now, but could actually be applied to a business routine if marketed correctly.

My next phone will not be a Blackberry and will most likely be an Android. For a good year and a half my Storm has been great but now I'm bored with it, I'm bored with the OS, what I've read about OS6, and the new devices being developed by RIM. The last thing you want to do is bore the masses, which RIM has succeeded.
    06-08-10 02:47 PM
    Don't know if this a trend but I have two teenagers that have BB and they tell me also everyday about a friend that just got a BB. They tell me it seems to be the new thing with teens...maybe just where I live but I see a lot of teens carrying BB not iphone.
    My two cents
    I will be sticking with you BB Storm 2 and look forward to OS 6.
    I offered my teenager the iPhone. He said he's already got a iPod touch - he wanted the new BB Pearl 9100, which I've ordered for him.

We have to face it - most people on here are uber-phonegeeks. The average kid just wants to text and call their friends. I think my son would have gone for a simple texting phone if I hadn't offered him a smartphone first.
    06-08-10 03:47 PM
    the iPhone 4's hardware is amazing minus the no Micro SD card slot.
    if RIM would have released this everyone would be praising it.
    06-08-10 04:16 PM
    I guess it just amazes me that there are so many of these threads where people think that the perfect phone for THEM is perfect for everybody, or that if it seems better to THEM, it should seem better for EVERYBODY. then you try to convince each other why this one is better or that one is better.....

I love Blackberry. Period. I had a pearl, went to several different phones, and then came back to BB (Curve 8330). It is time for me to upgrade, so I enlisted the help of some friends......played with the iphone for a few days.....played with a couple of palms, and a droid......well, I just upgraded. To another BB (Curve 8530). Why? It will do what I need to do. I surf very rarely. Only when I NEED to find something online and do not have my laptop with me. I have a business and am a one-person show, so when I leave the office, I need email, calendar, text, and phone. Above all, I have to have a solid device that WORKS when I need for it to. I don't need bling or 1000 apps. I do not play games on my phone unless I am out somewhere and REALLY REALLY bored.

So, a BB is best for ME. I am sure there are people out there who love their droid, love their iphone, or love their palm. I am personally happy that we have all of the choices we do. It would be a very boring world if we didn't.
    06-08-10 04:42 PM
    I agree and there's certainly nothing wrong with stating wishes/desires. But to put all of that in the context of "RIM=Epic Fail" is simply childish and pointless. Sure, I wish I had a faster browser and Flash compatibility but honestly, beyond browser issues, there is not much that I honestly yearn for. My Storm 1 worked great after OS 5.0, just short of memory. My Storm 2 is terrific, I love it. As for camera quality, it's totally irrelevant for me. I'm a professional photographer, lol, and there will never be a day in my lifetime when a chip the size of a match head will yield sufficient resolution. I was just reading about the Nokia N8's 12 MP camera. A marketer's dream, megapixles are, because they are basically meaningless numbers when taken as a single number, but consumers flock to it. My backup camera, a $5000 Nikon, is 12.5 MP and I know there are some who would think that their Nokia camera must take photographs on par with my Nikon. Hilarious.

Good, civil debate, even with a bit of edginess to it, is great, but to have to sift through all the stupidity to find a good post, is simply getting tiresome I've learned a great deal from these forums, both good and bad and sometimes, the bad begins to weigh on me. My post was just such a moment, I think that may have been my first rant? whoa!
    Well, maybe I am one of the few, but I know that megapixels on cellphones mean little and definately can not compare to your Nikon. But, needless I say this, we are not all pro-photgraphers, and personally, I think my 3.2 on the 9700 takes decent pictures but I know they are nowhere near the N95-8GB 5MP my uncle has and that's one thing I would like RIM to improve on. The Nokia phones 12MP or 5MP take some great pictures as far as cellphone market cameras go. Just check the E72 pics to the 9700, no match, the E72 wins hands down.

I agree that all these rants are pointless, but I think that a nice discussion on maybe "What you'd like RIM to improve on..." since we are all Berry fans, could be a nice thread, since as we all can see here, we all look in totally different specs when buying a cell. I love my BB and for now I am sticking to it even if I am digging the E73/E72. I think people should do a little research before buying a phone. I feel many buy a Berry for the name and for what they heard others say of it, and then, since many people do look for apps and other media phones, they are let down. To me Berry'a are great, but even if I do not look for apps, I have to admit that SOME, not all, but SOME things IMO should be improved.
    Last edited by Capitan Totti; 06-08-10 at 04:53 PM.
    06-08-10 04:44 PM

You do know you can take just as good pics with a $800-1000 Nikon DSLR camera. any photographer can tell you its not really the camera its the lens and the person holding the camera. for $5k you get a bunch of extra features that do they things that a professional can do with a cheaper model. I betting your camera has things like audio annotation, higher ISO, short hdvideo record, etc... i've seen some badass pictures taken with disposable camera and camera phones. So the price tag on a DSLR camera means nothing.
    06-08-10 05:00 PM
    I do agree in essence with your point, though it's not quite entirely accurate. It's actually not even the lens or the camera, so much as the photographer, but the lens and camera sure as **** help. My new camera, which I just ordered, is the same MP, but is what they call "full frame sensor" rather than the APS size I currently have. I've had the chance to play with this camera and the results are absolutely stunning. I also plan to order the flagship Nikon model, which is near double the MP, by the end of the year. Unfortunately, both these purchases require a whole lot of new glass to maximize the full frame sensor's abilities. While the $1000 Nikons (and Canons) are great, they by no means achieve what is possible with the more expensive models. You will not find serious professionals running around with $1000 cameras, they just don't cut it for the big work. But they do an superb job for a lot of people.

I've been a professional photographer for nearly 35 years and I'm quite well versed in all the issues, both film and digital. Believe me when I say that there are things you can do on a better camera that cannot be done on a cheaper one (and I'm not referring to voice annotation...I have that, used it once, I think? LOL). I make my living off my cameras and my work has been published worldwide, on CDs, posters, billboards, magazines, etc. I'm not famous by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know what camera to grab based on the job at hand.

Oh yeah, one final point. If you take your gear out on the weekend for some pretty pictures, family photos, vacation memories, etc., the less expensive gear is excellent. If, on the other hand, your gear is used most every day, hauled through some of the most horrid of conidtions (I once had to follow a line of 20 ATVs, out in the desert and I ate sand for 23 miles. I cringed at the dust that was hammering away at my camera and it took me a solid couple of days to get it call cleaned up), including the desert example, wet, watery conditions, tons of aerial work, I even flew weightless and documented the crew as they floated around alongside me. Three times, my camera took a serious kick as people were thrashing about trying to find some sense of balance...great fun, but very hard on the camera gear). I was in 50 below zero F weather for three months, 12-14 hours a day, shooting a documentary. Cheap cameras, often even good cameras, dont' hold up to those conditions. The last thing in the world you want is to have your gear fail in the middle of an important shoot.

So, I strongly disagree with your final statement that the "price tag on a DSLR means nothing" that is so far from the truth. If it were true, serious professionals would save their money and buy the less expensive gear.

I should add that my intent of my original post was not at all to compare high end gear with camera phones, only to clarify that it's not about the megapixles, which most people tend to judge by.

You do know you can take just as good pics with a $800-1000 Nikon DSLR camera. any photographer can tell you its not really the camera its the lens and the person holding the camera. for $5k you get a bunch of extra features that do they things that a professional can do with a cheaper model. I betting your camera has things like audio annotation, higher ISO, short hdvideo record, etc... i've seen some badass pictures taken with disposable camera and camera phones. So the price tag on a DSLR camera means nothing.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 06-08-10 at 05:24 PM.
    06-08-10 05:22 PM
    I pulled the battery on my BB three times today because I couldnt complete a two minute phone call in SFO, destination about 10 miles away in the same area code.
    That's the network, not the phone... I can usually tell when I talking to someone on ATT around here.
    06-08-10 06:22 PM
    With the new i phone coming out and nothing on the horizon for rim. I feel this is the beginning of the end for blackberry. They have been relying on there puch button email system too long and havent updated their product and are falling behind android and iphone. Its really sad because they were the kings of smart phones and now they are yestedays news. I have an 8310 curve and have been waiting for the new blackberry to come out. The 9700 bold just doesnt cut it compared to the i phone. Cant wait to get the new i phone.
    Well this is your 2nd post and I must say you still know not what you are talking about! LOL!
    06-11-10 08:27 AM
    This was a deliberate attempt to cause a problem. I said so earlier.

I am, quite frankly, amazed that the intelligent people in this forum did not just let this threaad die the death it so richly deserved.

The only reason I came back is that I'm a mod and I am supposed to look at this sh.. no, ... cra.... no, ... stuf. there you go.
    06-11-10 08:44 AM
    I guess it just amazes me that there are so many of these threads where people think that the perfect phone for THEM is perfect for everybody, or that if it seems better to THEM, it should seem better for EVERYBODY. then you try to convince each other why this one is better or that one is better.....

I love Blackberry. Period. I had a pearl, went to several different phones, and then came back to BB (Curve 8330). It is time for me to upgrade, so I enlisted the help of some friends......played with the iphone for a few days.....played with a couple of palms, and a droid......well, I just upgraded. To another BB (Curve 8530). Why? It will do what I need to do. I surf very rarely. Only when I NEED to find something online and do not have my laptop with me. I have a business and am a one-person show, so when I leave the office, I need email, calendar, text, and phone. Above all, I have to have a solid device that WORKS when I need for it to. I don't need bling or 1000 apps. I do not play games on my phone unless I am out somewhere and REALLY REALLY bored.

So, a BB is best for ME. I am sure there are people out there who love their droid, love their iphone, or love their palm. I am personally happy that we have all of the choices we do. It would be a very boring world if we didn't.
    very well put, couldn't agree more.
    06-11-10 08:48 AM
    Well this is your 2nd post and I must say you still know not what you are talking about! LOL!
    Pretty much all these "android or iphone spells the death of RIM" posts are foolish and pointless, silly kids that have no clue what they're talking about. Seriously, how childish does one have to be to go on a BlackBerry site and proclaim that a single device will kill an entire company because they're not making the silly toys these kids enjoy? The majority of consumers have no need for all the extra flash and bloat the other platforms are providing. So the impressionable sheep will flock to whatever they think is hip at the moment, while the majority of people will choose wisely with what fits their needs.
    06-11-10 09:00 AM
    impressionable sheep...
    It was a bit chilling to read your post, NoahFecks, as it was almost verbatim what I thought, and would have written... if I wasn't so bloody polite.
    Last edited by Newfangled Gizmo; 06-11-10 at 11:28 AM. Reason: bad quote tags
    06-11-10 11:17 AM
184 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD