What exactly have they done? They added MMS, we already had that. They added multi-tasking, we have that too. They added FaceTalk, since we aren't considering new device innovations FaceTalk doesn't matter since it can't be used on 2008 iPhone. All innovations from Apple, depend on added hardware and therefore aren't innovations if you are using old hardware. Everything else they've added, we already have. So, tell me, where have they innovated? Remember, only things they didn't have on the iPhone OS in 2007 count for this discussion.
    I'm commenting on how they've improved their product. Innovation is also
    partly not being afraid to try something new. Apparently RISM thinks trying
    something new is releasing the same device with a different look every six months.

If you people really can't see how you're being sucked into this then I feel
    sorry for you guys.
    06-07-10 05:45 PM
    something new is releasing the same device with a different look every six months.

sorry for you guys.
    Some people really love that design I'm one of them but I do feel it's time to create something new It's just not possible for that design to continue to be competitive with the newest phones on the market. RIM has done a great job of giving us some of the best innovations on the market with copy and paste and multitasking and we have enjoyed that but as apple has said and I have to agree with is "We may not be the 1st to do it but we do it correct." Multitask is awesome but i could do without having to reset my phone twice a day. (thanks quick pull.)
    06-07-10 05:54 PM
    I'm commenting on how they've improved their product. Innovation is also partly not being afraid to try something new. Apparently RISM thinks trying something new is releasing the same device with a different look every six months.

sorry for you guys.
    I understand where you are coming from, but some devices have been innovative for RIM. From S1 to S2 was a huge jump hardware wise. And now OS6 promises to give us tons of features BB's have never had. Heck we are finally getting webkit, a sliding dock, social network integration in the messages app complete with streams and RSS feeds, and multiple homescreens. Finally doing away with the archaic menu system people seem to love to hate. Supposedly a new and improved SDK is coming with OS 6 so apps should improve also.

What else is there that we need? The only other thing that could be useful is Apps2sd support and/or app saving on the regular internal memory. Since so many things will be supported in the new OS6 theme style you can bet someone can make a 100% working Android look for BB and things of that nature, so if the icons are the only thing making you say the new OS isn't new then they can be changed. The fact still remains BB6 is a different beast than its predecessor.
    06-07-10 05:59 PM
    Evolve or fall behind.
    That is exactly what RIM is doing(evolving, instead of a complete re-write like most want), yet keeping a different look/feel. Look at my last reply to The Maestro to see what I'm talking about.
    06-07-10 06:07 PM
    That is exactly what RIM is doing(evolving, instead of a complete re-write like most want), yet keeping a different look/feel. Look at my last reply to The Maestro to see what I'm talking about.
    Your right the new OS is a great step in the right direction and i will not be upgrading my phone until I see the new Blackberry os. But the hardware feels dated I mean the newest smart phones have 1Ghz processors a greater amount of on board memory. It feels like RIM bought to many parts and has to use them all so they rehash and older case, put in and older processor,older smaller screen, and stick a new number on the back. When was the last time you were Honestly shock and surprised at the look and styling of a black berry for it me was the first Bold everything since has been nice but lack that same kind of a statement. so recap OS good & Housing Bad... well maybe not bad but dated.
    06-07-10 06:24 PM
    This is sad but Apple really ate RIMs lunch. their hardware is so much better than RIM, i cant wait to upgrade. Sorry RIM, but i am tired of re-releasing the same phone every other day and most apps are crap
    Bye RIM, HELLOOOO IPHONE!!!
    06-07-10 06:32 PM
    He asked about video chat specifically. That's what I was respoding to. And
    how many phones have video chat before this?
    Ever heard of the Evo?
    06-07-10 06:33 PM
    Your right the new OS is a great step in the right direction and i will not be upgrading my phone until I see the new Blackberry os. But the hardware feels dated I mean the newest smart phones have 1Ghz processors a greater amount of on board memory. It feels like RIM bought to many parts and has to use them all so they rehash and older case, put in and older processor,older smaller screen, and stick a new number on the back. When was the last time you were Honestly shock and surprised at the look and styling of a black berry for it me was the first Bold everything since has been nice but lack that same kind of a statement. so recap OS good & Housing Bad... well maybe not bad but dated.
    About hardware, all I can say is if it still runs smooth on the processor speed we have I'll be happy, if not, then RIM should know about it and should upgrade the processors etc... But, we all know RIM doesn't always do what they "should" do. Though I like the sound of a 1Ghz processor, (I have a 4.3 Ghz overclocked Intel Core 2 Quad 9660) I am still not convinced it's needed in a phone. EDIT: As for the shell of keyboard BB's, I'm not sure what else can be done to make them different... I mean, how many ways can you skin a cat? I'd say there's not many ways to change keyboard BB's now, though improvement can be seen with th e9800 and Storm series.

Honestly, I've never been shocked or surprised about any phone. When the first iPhone came out I was like "that looks nice," then I held it and said to myself, this is utter crap. Never again have I had an iPhone, though I have borrowed some. Though I've never been shocked I can also honestly say I love the way my S2 looks, 9800 not so much, Samsung Galaxy S looks soooooooooo clean, iPhone 4 not so much (i like 3GS styling better) etc. etc.
    Last edited by evilhunter101; 06-07-10 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Clarification on some points..
    06-07-10 06:38 PM
    How about seeing someone for the last time before they pass away. (I know I'm being dark here, but you never know when the unthinkable happens.) What if you're in an accident and you wish you could see your wife or husband for the last time because things aren't looking so good for you... be you wish you'd have something better then a BB in your pocket then.
    RIM hates you and doesn't want you to see your loved ones before you're dead...

Good grief, you're really stretching it now.
    06-07-10 06:59 PM

Now,that is just plain funny.
    06-07-10 07:15 PM
    Here's what RIM needs to do.
    1. every model should be faster then it's predecessor ie the 9650 should of had a faster cpu then the 9630.
    2. Better browser (I think we can all agree on that )
    3. More control on updates instead of relying on wireless providers to roll out the update that never gets rolled out, like Verizon still on OS 4.5 for my 8330.
    06-07-10 07:32 PM
    About hardware, all I can say is if it still runs smooth on the processor speed we have I'll be happy, if not, then RIM should know about it and should upgrade the processors etc... But, we all know RIM doesn't always do what they "should" do. Though I like the sound of a 1Ghz processor, (I have a 4.3 Ghz overclocked Intel Core 2 Quad 9660) I am still not convinced it's needed in a phone. EDIT: As for the shell of keyboard BB's, I'm not sure what else can be done to make them different... I mean, how many ways can you skin a cat? I'd say there's not many ways to change keyboard BB's now, though improvement can be seen with th e9800 and Storm series.
    It's not always whats needed but what you can get. New BBs Drop at about the same price as most other smart phones and if for that same price i get a faster processor, more memory, and IMHO better styling I just consider it the better buy. One of the things I use to knock the I phone on was the fact that the style was always the same and you couldn't really tell the 3g from the 3gs or the original. I think BB is in great danger of falling into the same category. But all this is moot because from the moment I'm still BB loyal.
    06-07-10 07:35 PM
    i agree with you 100%... its amusing how some diehard bb users can't admit that RIM is losing. RIM is not allowing there phone to be given away for FREE, Apple has 28% of the market to there 35% by years end i'm betting that number will be 30% or more... OS5 just came out and now they're pushing OS6
    The new curves have been free on several carriers for a while.
    06-07-10 07:39 PM
    Here's what RIM needs to do.
    1. every model should be faster then it's predecessor ie the 9650 should of had a faster cpu then the 9630.
    2. Better browser (I think we can all agree on that )
    3. More control on updates instead of relying on wireless providers to roll out the update that never gets rolled out, like Verizon still on OS 4.5 for my 8330.
    You forgot a few:

No more truncated email.

Eliminate the 2.9 MB download limit. At least make it something reasonable.

Open up more device memory for OS and applications. We don't need 2 GB of onboard storage for files when we have a 32 micro SD card! At LEAST 1 GB should be available for OS and apps!

Yes, RIM needs to make some changes, but I hardly think it's the end for them. Apple needs to make some changes too. The things they get away with are amazing to me actually. It's actually funny to me that us BlackBerry owners tend to be quite critical of RIM's shortcomings, but Apple owners seem to conveniently overlook a lot of things.
    06-07-10 07:46 PM
    It's not always whats needed but what you can get. New BBs Drop at about the same price as most other smart phones and if for that same price i get a faster processor, more memory, and IMHO better styling I just consider it the better buy. One of the things I use to knock the I phone on was the fact that the style was always the same and you couldn't really tell the 3g from the 3gs or the original. I think BB is in great danger of falling into the same category. But all this is moot because from the moment I'm still BB loyal.
    Oh ok, I see what you're saying, and I agree. How about like a 250Mhz jump in every model. I.e. Storm 2 to Storm 3, that much a difference, then Storm 3 to 4, same difference. I think that'd be sufficient no? On the memory side though we do need an immediate jump or apps2sd. Well, I don't need it, but I'm sure others do. And now, a change in the lines of the devices. Or make lines stand out from each other. It would be nice.
    06-07-10 07:50 PM
    And i hope rim wakes up and gets some amazing product out there
    otheriwise business users will be switching and they already are
    Ok.......
    06-07-10 08:00 PM
    Well IMO...

The new iPhone looks great as expected, although I wouldn't upgrade if I had a 3GS but that's just me. Nothing groundbreaking but I'm sure it'll run well.

I don't think RIM is going anywhere soon because they produce good devices that a lot of consumers are content with even if they're not as intuitive as iPhone, Android, and WebOS.

I think we should wait for the official Android 2.2, iPhone iOS4, and BB OS6 releases. I think they'll each deliver pretty well.
    06-07-10 08:18 PM
    I agree with this. Well said.

Well IMO...

The new iPhone looks great as expected, although I wouldn't upgrade if I had a 3GS but that's just me. Nothing groundbreaking but I'm sure it'll run well.

I don't think RIM is going anywhere soon because they produce good devices that a lot of consumers are content with even if they're not as intuitive as iPhone, Android, and WebOS.

I think we should wait for the official Android 2.2, iPhone iOS4, and BB OS6 releases. I think they'll each deliver pretty well.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 08:24 PM
    go enjoy your iphone I am staying with BB It is a choice and we all have the right to choose. But no one needs to bash RIM Blackberry is a great device.
    06-07-10 08:40 PM

sorry for you guys.
    Hey hey hey! Watch your mouth... It's not just a different look, the model numbers keep going up as well. That takes true R&D work right there. lol
    06-07-10 09:56 PM

lol, OK, how about this one.

Wife: Hi dear, how was the conference?
    Husband: Good hun, I'm in the hotel room now and winding down.
    Wife: Oh good, do they have WIFI? Can you FaceTime and help tuck in little Timmy?
    Husband: Absolutely... Put the little tyke on the phone.
    [Cut to FaceTime view]
    Timmy: Hi Daddy!
    Husband: Hey pal! How's it going?
    Timmy: Good, I'm going to bed...
    Husband: Ok pal, it's great seeing you.
    Timmy: Night dad.
    Wife: This new FaceTime thing is really making life easier on your son.
    Husband: I'm glad your glad.
    [Voice in the background and face moves into FaceTime frame on husband's side]: Hey baby, you coming to bed?
    Wife: WTH!?!?! Who the **** is that *****!?!?!
    [Husband looking down and shaking head]: Damn, I should have stuck with that Blackberry instead.

lol
    06-07-10 10:08 PM
    Ya' know, perhaps I'm reaching (finally) a saturation point. I see so many coming in here ******** and moaning and trashing RIM for this and for that. I tried to read through all this stuff, keeping an open mind, but I think I've reached the point where I have to say "enough." I've learned enough to know what is good about my BB and what is not so good. If I should decide that there's something better out there for me, be it Android or iPhone or Zzzyzx phone, then I'm going to go read up and study that and it will be those forums, you will find me. I simply don't get why so many feel so compelled to come here and trash a company they obviously despise and have zero respect for, either product or corporate philosophy.

Seriously folks, what the **** are you doing here if the grass is so much greener on the other side?
    06-07-10 10:34 PM
    I'm no techie-I'm a real good lawyer and a real fine pilot, and I pulled the battery on my BB three times today because I couldnt complete a two minute phone call in SFO, destination about 10 miles away in the same area code.
    On the other hand, it takes only about three or four minutes to load aviation wx in such far way and exotic places as JFK.
    While I wait, sometimes I play chess on my Palm TX.
    If I get bored playing chess or solitaire waiting for the browser, I think about how just darn happy I am that my BB is just so darn, well, secure, whatever that means.
    Oh yeah, maybe I can get on my broker's site if I have 10 or so minutes to kill, which is pretty relaxing.
    I think I'm doing something wrong here.
    06-07-10 10:42 PM
    lol, OK, how about this one.

Wife: Hi dear, how was the conference?
    Husband: Good hun, I'm in the hotel room now and winding down.
    Wife: Oh good, do they have WIFI? Can you FaceTime and help tuck in little Timmy?
    Husband: Absolutely... Put the little tyke on the phone.
    [Cut to FaceTime view]
    Timmy: Hi Daddy!
    Husband: Hey pal! How's it going?
    Timmy: Good, I'm going to bed...
    Husband: Ok pal, it's great seeing you.
    Timmy: Night dad.
    Wife: This new FaceTime thing is really making life easier on your son.
    Husband: I'm glad your glad.
    [Voice in the background and face moves into FaceTime frame on husband's side]: Hey baby, you coming to bed?
    Wife: WTH!?!?! Who the **** is that *****!?!?!
    [Husband looking down and shaking head]: Damn, I should have stuck with that Blackberry instead.

lol
    HAHAHAHAHAHA priceless.... I could just imagine the breaking news lol
    06-07-10 10:48 PM
    Ya' know, perhaps I'm reaching (finally) a saturation point. I see so many coming in here ******** and moaning and trashing RIM for this and for that. I tried to read through all this stuff, keeping an open mind, but I think I've reached the point where I have to say "enough." I've learned enough to know what is good about my BB and what is not so good. If I should decide that there's something better out there for me, be it Android or iPhone or Zzzyzx phone, then I'm going to go read up and study that and it will be those forums, you will find me. I simply don't get why so many feel so compelled to come here and trash a company they obviously despise and have zero respect for, either product or corporate philosophy.

Seriously folks, what the **** are you doing here if the grass is so much greener on the other side?
    I think that for most people it comes down to "I love BBs but I wished they did this and that, as these other phones already do" and honestly, can you blame them? I don't use apps so I am not one of those typical consumer market people that want the iPhone just for the apps. I barely use the few BB ones I have... but I do care about other specs like camera quality, browsing speed, ability to open flash and silverlight pages, and other "mature" things people should look in cellphones IMO, and sorry... just compare the E73 that's coming to T-Mobile to the 9700. It has the trackpad too, something that was "big" for long time RIM users. Sure, RIM might want to keep to the niche of business people, but I mean, they could have the same business phones they have now AND work on something more on the consumer market side. For example, the Storm brand, my friend had the first Storm. I'm sorry, money wasted by RIM, it was TERRIBLE. Storm2 didn't turn any heads either. So why not either concentrate on sole qwerty phones, or maybe do a line of touch-screens with kick *** apps like the iPhone? I mean seriously, the Facebook app for example, its atroucious on the BB, and yet RIM hasen't done anything about it. Twitter? I use UberTwitter personally. Just examples of course.

Nokia E73 Mode vs. BlackBerry Bold 9700 - GSMArena.com

I mean, I love the 9700 and will stick with it for a while probably, but other than how fast email is received and sent on the BB, everything else is better on the E73 for example. Granted, I know many Americans don't like Nokia and Symbian but I am from Italy so I was always mroe exposed to Nokia which rules worldwide.
    06-07-10 11:39 PM
184 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD