scorpiodsu, I can see the value in the travel situation you brought up. It would be good for that. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't boast about it if I had it on my phone but perhaps you intended that part for someone else.
    06-07-10 04:32 PM
    I've wondered the same thing, for many, many years. I'm about to date myself here, but remember quite clearly, as a young boy, attending the World's Fair in New York back in ...what, 1964? I remember seeing a live demo unit of a video conference phone. It was SO COOL, to be able to sit there and see the person you were speaking with (who, in reality for this demo, was just 3 feet away) on the screen. Of course, this "future" never really gained in popularity, but we continued to see it in just about very tech or science fiction movie/tv show. The technology has been there for a long time now and the capability has been there on several internet platforms for a long while as well. It just never gained general market adaptation.

Perhaps this is left over from my childhood experience, but I still think it's kinda cool. A must have? No way. A "nice to have, fun thing?" Sure. It's probably something more appealing to those who travel a lot and have children and loved ones back home or those engaged in long distance relationships (oh, how I remember those...sigh). But, to VC with your buddy on the other side of town, nahhh.
    I just don't see it catching on. There's so many factors that could hinder its use. Let's start with tiered data plans, unless you're willing to lay down the extra cash for the higher limit.
    So you could use a wifi connection, sure, which would nullify Civic's example of how it could be useful. Not to mention the whole point of a cell phone is to be mobile. Either way, it just seems far too situational to go mainstream. But hey, who knows.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 04:33 PM
    It's called being innovative. People may not want to do it. But when someone
    is in an AT&T store and the person helping them is showing off this feature,
    it's going to help that salesperson sell them on that phone quicker than
    showing them how a Blackberry has BBM making it more difficult to sell. Then
    all of sudden the person who thinks they're never going to use it find it as
    being a part of their everyday lives. I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-O-N
    You make it sound as if video calling is something new to mobile phones.

06-07-10 04:35 PM
    Heh. So you've tried the new OS, I see.

looking at RIMs history I'm betting OS6 will not be all that. i will stand corrected if RIM hits it out of the park with the 9800 and OS6. But one would have to be living in a fantasy world to think thats going to happen. Look at the Storm, two tries and they're still working on it... but Storm lovers have hopes of the Storm 3 being the great phone. At what point to you tell yourself this company is behind and will never be the innovators they once were.
    06-07-10 04:37 PM
    Thanks for the explanation on innovation maestro. I feel much more enlightened now.
    06-07-10 04:37 PM
    It's called being innovative. People may not want to do it. But when someone
    is in an AT&T store and the person helping them is showing off this feature,
    it's going to help that salesperson sell them on that phone quicker than
    showing them how a Blackberry has BBM making it more difficult to sell. Then
    all of sudden the person who thinks they're never going to use it find it as
    being a part of their everyday lives. I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-O-N
    So innovation = stealing ideas that phones released today already have? News to me.
    06-07-10 04:38 PM
    Why can't we be friends?

Had to do it. All the ******** and flaming of each platform is getting annoying and I think a lot of you need to chill out.
    because some BB users need to open there eyes and not just accept what RIM is doing. RIM won't change if there fan base really doesn't care about features or real improvement.
    06-07-10 04:39 PM
    At what point to you tell yourself this company is behind and will never be the innovators they once were.
    I don't know. I don't really care. My phone does everything I need it to and the only thing I want is the new browser.

06-07-10 04:40 PM
    One more person quotes that song and I'll�

06-07-10 04:41 PM
    I have to say that I love my 9700 and I have no interest in changing phones for quite awhile. But I can also say that the new iphone looks awesome. I bet it will be a big hit. And since I don't own stock in any of the companies involved I don't care about market share.
    06-07-10 04:46 PM
    So innovation = stealing ideas that phones released today already have? News to me.
    He asked about video chat specifically. That's what I was respoding to. And
    how many phones have video chat before this?
    06-07-10 04:46 PM
    because some BB users need to open there eyes and not just accept what RIM is doing. RIM won't change if there fan base really doesn't care about features or real improvement.
    You had to QUOTE the entire post?..............
    06-07-10 04:47 PM
    Agree 100%. That had to be the most obnoxious post I've ever seen on here!

You had to QUOTE the entire post?..............
    06-07-10 04:51 PM
    RIM will have to give away free phone soon to save themselves. A storm 3 wont be any better than the storm 2... RIM should just discontinue that line and go back to focusing on the Business market only. Leave the consumer market alone because RIM has zero clue what they're doing. Only people liking the new BB phones are diehard BB fans. I dont foresee anyone putting down there android or iphone for the new upcoming 9800.
    Iphones look cooler then they are they have netflicks in like 3 months everyone gunna have it. I mean you have a camera for god knows who to warrant and watch you through. I just don't see the thrill the big screen is nice on the go for movies... But that's about it and you can get a laptop that dose that too. RIM is still king people keep getting Operating Systems confused with apps iphone has every app we don't but... Most of them are useless don't have anything to do so I'm gonna pass the time before I die apps.

06-07-10 04:54 PM
    I don't think anyone is confusing operating systems with apps...
    06-07-10 05:00 PM
    I like how RIM doesn't innovate, yet when Apple releases features that have been around for years, they're on the cutting edge.
    06-07-10 05:02 PM
    No that was beta leaks, OS5 Officially came out this year to carriers. Android has 9% of the market there is no way they're going to gain 11% by years end. At most I foresee them moving to about 11% if that. It will only take one big news story about how RIM is not in touch with the consumer market and how they were once untouchable but now Apple is/will be king.
    Oh really? Then that means the S2 didn't have OS5? Holy crap I was lucky to get my particular device! Please, you obviously are making this up. Heck, even the 9530 got OS5 in October. Since OS 6 shouldn't be here for all devices at least 2-3 months (I think) then it falls in line with the basic 1 yr standard that Apple basically invented.

As for market share, we'll see what's really going on there towards the end of July. But, I feel Android can see the proposed amount of growth simply because they are spread on so many devices across all carriers. Their potential for growth is enormous. Also, I think the large majority of those defecting from BB are going to Android, for one reason or another (notably ATT).

As for the bolded part, not really making sense... Maybe you left out a word? There have been many of those type of stories yet Apple is still not king... And they probably won't become king since many iPhoners are liking the new Android offerings plus not liking the new tiered data packages. Though iPhone may see slight amounts of growth I believe they are nearing their peak until they spread to other carriers.
    06-07-10 05:02 PM
    I like how RIM doesn't innovate, yet when Apple releases features that have been around for years, they're on the cutting edge.
    Name two instances in which RIM has within the past two years? Besides
    new devices.
    06-07-10 05:06 PM
    Name two instances in which RIM has within the past two years? Besides
    new devices.
    I think you've missed the point of that post. It was almost sarcastic in a way, saying RIM really doesn't innovate, and saying that Apple isn't innovating either. At least, that's how I perceive it, though I don't agree. BTW, if you say besides devices then Apple hasn't innovated in the past two years either
    06-07-10 05:10 PM
    I really dislike all things apple but I have to say that the New I Phone had some amazing features and it's due out but the end of the month. To top that off Just got done playing with the New HTC 4G evo (my boss picked hers up this morning) and I Have to say that these two phones combine with the two Droids phones that are currently on the market really don't leave a lot of room on the table for RIM. RIM currently seem to be banking on customer loyalty and that they have (I count myself as one of them) but that only last for so long. The design team seems to be miss in action. Honestly if you list the phones available by the end of June does Rim make the top 5? ( Iphone 4, HTC evo, Droid Incredible, Droid, Rims new bold) So the best rim has is a rehash of a tour with wifi. Maybe a slider... Not a good look guys.
    06-07-10 05:24 PM
    RIM currently seem to be banking on customer loyalty and that they have (I count myself as one of them) but that only last for so long.
    I think RIM is banking that some people just don't want all the flash that comes with iPhone and Android and that others don't want pure touch screens or odd landscape keyboards. For the people that fall in this group (myself included) BB6 will be more than enough to keep us happy. I mean really, all I could personally ask to be better in my S2 is the browser. I like everything else as-is.
    06-07-10 05:29 PM
    I think you've missed the point of that post. It was almost sarcastic in a way, saying RIM really doesn't innovate, and saying that Apple isn't innovating either. At least, that's how I perceive it, though I don't agree. BTW, if you say besides devices then Apple hasn't innovated in the past two years either
    I'd say between 2008-2010 Apple has innovated their OS much better than RIM has.
    06-07-10 05:30 PM
    Maybe I'm confused because I've never used Skype, but I thought Skype was a video conferencing/calling application, and I'm pretty sure Verizon supports it and I can download it on my Storm 2.
    06-07-10 05:32 PM
    I'd say between 2008-2010 Apple has innovated their OS much better than RIM has.
    What exactly have they done? They added MMS, we already had that. They added multi-tasking, we have that too. They added FaceTalk, since we aren't considering new device innovations FaceTalk doesn't matter since it can't be used on 2008 iPhone. All innovations from Apple, depend on added hardware and therefore aren't innovations if you are using old hardware. Everything else they've added, we already have. So, tell me, where have they innovated? Remember, only things they didn't have on the iPhone OS in 2007 count for this discussion.
    06-07-10 05:40 PM
    I think RIM is banking that some people just don't want all the flash that comes with iPhone and Android and that others don't want pure touch screens or odd landscape keyboards. For the people that fall in this group (myself included) BB6 will be more than enough to keep us happy. I mean really, all I could personally ask to be better in my S2 is the browser. I like everything else as-is.
    I think you're right in the fact that there are those people who don't want all that flash. But that is a small share of the market and will only get smaller. In today's market you have to keep up and provide for the customers that want the flash and the prestige that comes with owning one of the newest phones with all the bells and whistles I'm not saying it's right but that is the way the market is. Just look what happen to windows mobile smart phones. They were once at the top of their market but they failed to evolve when phones became more than calenders and planers and were left behind (currently owning just 9% of today market) I think that Rim is in danger of failing to learn from history.
    06-07-10 05:45 PM
184 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD