9.3mm thick, which Apple claims makes it the smallest smartphone on the planet or �a quarter thinner than something you didn�t think could get any thinner.� The three stainless steel bands surrounding the device that look very un-Apple actually serve two purposes: they add to the structural integrity of the device and double as antenna boosters. Smart.
    The iPhone 4 has a 3.5″ display that has 78% the pixels of the iPad. With a resolution of 960�640 � or 4x the resolution of the first three iPhones � the iPhone 4 has four pixels where the other devices only had space for one for a total of 326 pixels per inch. Apple calls this �Retina Display� technology and says it translates to images and text so incredibly sharp that you�ll feel like you�re looking at a �finely printed book� instead of a mobile display. The display technology also means that apps will not have to be rescaled, so everything currently in the App Store will The display also has a 800:1 contrast ratio.
    Moving on the the processor. Yes, indeedy, the iPhone 4 is powered by an Apple-designed A4 SoC. Apart from providing raw power, the A4 also sips juice from the battery as opposed to gulping it. This means the iPhone 4 is good for 7 hours of 3G talktime, 6 hours of browsing over 3G, 10 hours of browsing over Wi-Fi, 10 hours of video, 40 hours of music and 300 hours of standby. As expected, 802.11n Wi-Fi is included as is a quad-band HSDPA radio capable of 7.2Mbps down and 5.8Mbps up. The iPhone 4 also introduces a dual-mic system for noise cancellation and a gyroscope which combined with the accelerometer allow for 6-axis motion sensing.
    The iPhone 4�s main camera weighs in at 5 megapixels. What makes it special, according to Apple, is its backside illuminated sensor. This allows more photons to bombard the sensor resulting in better low-light photos. A sole LED flash straddles the camera sensor. Digital zoom tops out at 5x, while video capture has been stepped up to shoot 720p at 30fps. The LED flash is fully functional when capturing videos.
    Not included with iPhone 4 but to be available in the App Store for $4.99 is iMovie. iMovie for the iPhone is pretty much what you�d expect � that is if you were expecting a feature-rich mobile movie editing application that�s capable of manhandling 720p videos. You can rearrange clips by dragging them about; add in photos, transitions, titles, and music; and use geolocation so you�ll have no excuses for forgetting exactly where you were when you shot the film.
    And then there�s the front-facing camera. It runs the open application FaceTime. Apple is currently working with wireless providers to bring forth bonafide 3G video calls, but as far as 2010 is concerned you�re stuck with Wi-Fi. If for some reason you don�t want the person you�re calling to see your mug � or perhaps you just want them to see what you�re looking at � you can switch from the front-facing camera to the 5MP camera on the back.

IT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF - OR IF NEED BE TAKE A LOOK. DAMN SEXY, and I fkn hate Apple. But this compares easily to the EVO and Incredible. Very nice. And nothing, NOTHING BB has or will offer in the next 18-24 months will come close with competing with any of these devices available today - not in hardware, not in user interface, not in 3rd party software availability or functionality, not in web browsing.

RIM make hundreds of phones on dozens of US carriers, some phones like the low end Curve are sold for near cost to the government and large corporations by the thousands due to RIMs use of Java runtime and the security it provides. Question is, what happens as soon as Android or IOS are able to deliver 256 bit security? Android and IOS are already handling push APIs as well as RIM handsets. Well - that speaks for itself as well.
    06-07-10 03:36 PM
    I don't get the video calling thing. Do people really want to do this? I never understood why that was a big deal.
    Surely you gest... Try calling up Cisco and tell them that no one wants video calling or "Cisco Virtual Presence" and see what they say. lol

Think about how much of a help this could be. You've never been out shopping or looking for something and you need to talk to someone and have them experience the same thing you're looking at? The old way of sharing that was to take a pic and MMS or email it to them. Oh wow... how innovative. Now you can do live video of it. Sure, it requires WIFI for now, but that's Apple's fault for sticking with AT&T's crap network... which won't be up to snuff for video calling in 2011 either. lol
    06-07-10 03:37 PM
    I don't need it for the shopping thing and I don't have any interest in calling up cisco. Maybe what you meant to say is that you have needs for it but can see how not everyone would.
    06-07-10 03:40 PM
    I am impressed with the battery life they are claiming and the use of the frame to increase the signal strength though.
    06-07-10 03:41 PM
    The three stainless steel bands surrounding the device that look very un-Apple actually serve two purposes: they add to the structural integrity of the device and double as antenna boosters. Smart.
    You missed one purpose/function of the flat sides (which wasn't discussed in the keynote, but smart people probably thought of. ) When you're shooting video or video chatting you can set the phone on it's side (standing up either portrait or landscape) on a flat surface. Comes in handy when you don't have someone around to hold it for you.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 06-07-10 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Edited to help AG with the shortcomings of BB. ;)
    06-07-10 03:42 PM
    I agree, main added features of this new iphone, which looks great, are the possibility to create folders to sort apps, multitasking, unified inbox, all these things RIM has been doing this for ages. Iphone is a blackbox mediaphone that can reasonably do business (for half a day) while BBs are smartphones that can do a little media...choose your device according to your preference...

Wrong on battery life - read the new specs. They are very much in-line or surpassing anything RIM currently has.

Its multitasking is far smoother than anything on your Berry. It is very much a business machine. All that its missing for government and business at this point, is (1) 256bit or greater security (Java run-time provides this for BB and is the main reason for slowness and memory leak and pp applications) and (2) the existing BES servers to need (which many now do) an upgrade and the economic need and ability to switch the BES out.

Can't wait for the day.
    06-07-10 03:44 PM
    i agree with you 100%... its amusing how some diehard bb users can't admit that RIM is losing. RIM is not allowing there phone to be given away for FREE, Apple has 28% of the market to there 35% by years end i'm betting that number will be 30% or more... OS5 just came out and now they're pushing OS6
    Actually OS 5 came out a year ago... so wheres the problem? BTW, Apple might hit 30% but with all the Droid offerings coming, even on ATT, and the new WinPhone7, they won't be at 30% long. And when all that crap does come out (plus a Palm refresh), that's when RIM will start going down badly. I say RIM down to ~30% by year end, Apple at ~29% Droids ~20% WinPhone(including WinMo) ~16% Other ~5%. 2011 will be the deciding year for RIM in the consumer market imo.

For reference: iPhone OS 3 came out a year ago yet no one is complaining over iOS4 being pushed out now... and I'm willing to bet this time next year BB7 and iOS5 come out!
    06-07-10 03:44 PM
    I don't need it for the shopping thing and I don't have any interest in calling up cisco. Maybe what you meant to say is that you have needs for it but can see how not everyone would.
    How about seeing someone for the last time before they pass away. (I know I'm being dark here, but you never know when the unthinkable happens.) What if you're in an accident and you wish you could see your wife or husband for the last time because things aren't looking so good for you... be you wish you'd have something better then a BB in your pocket then.
    06-07-10 03:45 PM
    Hey guy's, just because we have a lot of folk who read this site from WAP can we not
    quote giant walls of text unless it is absolutely necessary.

I just viewed this thread from WAP and it was a pain to read to say the least
    06-07-10 03:47 PM
    Actually OS 5 came out a year ago... so wheres the problem? BTW, Apple might hit 30% but with all the Droid offerings coming, even on ATT, and the new WinPhone7, they won't be at 30% long. And when all that crap does come out (plus a Palm refresh), that's when RIM will start going down badly. I say RIM down to ~30% by year end, Apple at ~29% Droids ~20% WinPhone(including WinMo) ~16% Other ~5%. 2011 will be the deciding year for RIM in the consumer market imo.

For reference: iPhone OS 3 came out a year ago yet no one is complaining over iOS4 being pushed out now... and I'm willing to bet this time next year BB7 and iOS5 come out!
    Because it will release for 3GS at the same time or before the 4G even launches. And for any 3G users that want to give it a run, I'm sure a JB 3G will run it as well.
    06-07-10 03:48 PM
    Hey guy's just because we have a lot of folk who read this from WAP can we not

Some of the posts don't even deserve to be quoted
    06-07-10 03:49 PM
    Hey guy's just because we have a lot of folk who read this site from WAP can we not

I agree, the BB browser needs to be better. A larger screen on that 9700 would help a bit too. hehe

BTW, I fixored my wall of text quoted post cuz I like you.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 06-07-10 at 03:54 PM.
    06-07-10 03:50 PM
    I d wait real use to see how the battery is holding...I prefer typing on a keyboard anyway. Truth is RIM do need innovation at this point for the consumer market. Another advantage that I see in BB is that they go for efficiency whereas apple seems to go for powerhorse both in terms of battery drainage and bandwidth...
    06-07-10 03:51 PM
    Because it will release for 3GS at the same time or before the 4G even launches. And for any 3G users that want to give it a run, I'm sure a JB 3G will run it as well.
    Pretty sure you missed my point, that guy was complaining about them pushing OS6 in general. I agree that is should be released to all capable devices from the get go, i.e. get rid of carrier approval, but that's a whole different argument no?
    06-07-10 03:56 PM
    You missed one purpose/function of the flat sides (which wasn't discussed in the keynote, but smart people probably thought of. ) When you're shooting video or video chatting you can set the phone on it's side (standing up either portrait or landscape) on a flat surface. Comes in handy when you don't have someone around to hold it for you.
    This really made me lol. I hadn't thought of that, but i'm sure it will be one of the biggest uses of video chat!
    06-07-10 04:06 PM
    Android surpassed both R.I.M. and Apple in o.s. functionality a long time ago. The sales are already starting to catch up and it will only be a matter of time until their number one.
    It may have passed RIM, but Android's fragmented OS still has a way to go to reach the level of user experience that the iPhone has. A fragmented, poorly supported OS, is not for me. Thanks.
    06-07-10 04:10 PM
    There is no way 1 phone on 1 carrier is going to kill a worldwide company that offers many phones on many carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    True....

But that one Phone is going to kill a few companies once it IS on more than one carrier. Will RIM be one of them... well I bet that five years ago PALM was too worried about their share of the smart phone business.
    06-07-10 04:11 PM
    And i hope rim wakes up and gets some amazing product out there
    otheriwise business users will be switching and they already are
    06-07-10 04:14 PM
    Surely you gest... Try calling up Cisco and tell them that no one wants video calling or "Cisco Virtual Presence" and see what they say. lol

Think about how much of a help this could be. You've never been out shopping or looking for something and you need to talk to someone and have them experience the same thing you're looking at? The old way of sharing that was to take a pic and MMS or email it to them. Oh wow... how innovative. Now you can do live video of it. Sure, it requires WIFI for now, but that's Apple's fault for sticking with AT&T's crap network... which won't be up to snuff for video calling in 2011 either. lol
    People who have phones that don't do it, will say "I don't see why it's needed". If RIM put out a device that did it, they would be boasting about it. I know I will find it useful. I travel a lot and I often have to get on my laptop to video chat with my wife and son. Now I don't have to do that anymore. We will both have the new iPhone so this works great for us. Some are just disappointed that RIM is still the king of truncated emails. In due time, they will not be number 1 in market share and don't let iPhone hit more carriers in 2011 when LTE is out. Please RIM, stick to business. You are way out of your league.
    06-07-10 04:14 PM
    I read yesterday that blackberry does not have brand loyalty anymore. I think once O6 is out along as it is way better than all others combined, they will come back imo
    I dont see that happening. OS6 is just more RIM hype just like OS5 was... its a let down. Its hard to regain brand loyalty and what RIM has coming out 9800 with OS6 is just not enough to wow uses back.
    06-07-10 04:21 PM
    I've wondered the same thing, for many, many years. I'm about to date myself here, but remember quite clearly, as a young boy, attending the World's Fair in New York back in ...what, 1964? I remember seeing a live demo unit of a video conference phone. It was SO COOL, to be able to sit there and see the person you were speaking with (who, in reality for this demo, was just 3 feet away) on the screen. Of course, this "future" never really gained in popularity, but we continued to see it in just about very tech or science fiction movie/tv show. The technology has been there for a long time now and the capability has been there on several internet platforms for a long while as well. It just never gained general market adaptation.

Perhaps this is left over from my childhood experience, but I still think it's kinda cool. A must have? No way. A "nice to have, fun thing?" Sure. It's probably something more appealing to those who travel a lot and have children and loved ones back home or those engaged in long distance relationships (oh, how I remember those...sigh). But, to VC with your buddy on the other side of town, nahhh.

I don't get the video calling thing. Do people really want to do this? I never understood why that was a big deal.
    06-07-10 04:23 PM
    It may have passed RIM, but Android's fragmented OS still has a way to go to reach the level of user experience that the iPhone has. A fragmented, poorly supported OS, is not for me. Thanks.
    I might agree with you if you didn't have Jobber telling you what you can and can't do with your phone. The u.i. on my incredible kicks the **** out of the limited things I can do with my retired ipod touch. I don't see where you get "poorly supported" from, when was the last time your iphone saw an upgrade? Android 2.2 is a way bigger upgrade than ios4.

P.s. do you mean fragmented like everything below the 3gs that won't support any of the features of ios4?
    06-07-10 04:24 PM
    I dont see that happening. OS6 is just more RIM hype just like OS5 was... its a let down. Its hard to regain brand loyalty and what RIM has coming out 9800 with OS6 is just not enough to wow uses back.
    Heh. So you've tried the new OS, I see.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 04:24 PM
    It's called being innovative. People may not want to do it. But when someone
    is in an AT&T store and the person helping them is showing off this feature,
    it's going to help that salesperson sell them on that phone quicker than
    showing them how a Blackberry has BBM making it more difficult to sell. Then
    all of sudden the person who thinks they're never going to use it find it as
    being a part of their everyday lives. I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-O-N
    06-07-10 04:29 PM

No that was beta leaks, OS5 Officially came out this year to carriers. Android has 9% of the market there is no way they're going to gain 11% by years end. At most I foresee them moving to about 11% if that. It will only take one big news story about how RIM is not in touch with the consumer market and how they were once untouchable but now Apple is/will be king.
    06-07-10 04:31 PM
184 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD