go ask any corporate IT department if they issue iphones... they'll tell u why its not a business phone. better yet ask an apple PR person why they don't market it as a business phone..

there will always be more than one type of device, because there many people in the world with varying needs. some people will never touch a winmo device, some are in love with it, same for blackberry and apple. its good that there are different things so eveyone can get what they need. there is no winner or loser, just companies with more market share, revenue, profit etc.

but seriously... i think its kinda understood that blackberry kinda has the corporate market right now.

also, i dunno why people complain about the rim so. i've used winmo, symbian, blackberry and aple os and i have no problems with the os on my bold. yeah os 4.5 is crappy, but 4.6 and up is pretty good. maybe its just me.

OHH, one last thing... why are we all ******** over this crap again? aren't there enough fanboy(regardless of brand) threads already?
    Last edited by avmsam; 02-18-09 at 06:02 PM.
    02-18-09 05:57 PM
    The iPhone was not designed to be a business user's phone. It's designed to be fun, do cool things, and rock out media. That's not to say it can't be used in a business environment, but it's not optimized for it like BBs are.

And Reed is talking about push email. In a business environment where timing can be crucial, having your information pushed to your BB can give you a distinct advantage over having to remember to log on and check your messages manually.
    02-18-09 05:58 PM
    not to be mean but can someone translate that for me?
    thanks?
    What Reed means, I think is that any Blackberry beats an iPhone hands down, any time.

No removable media card
    No removable battery
    No Cut and Paste
    02-18-09 06:00 PM
    What Reed means, I think is that any Blackberry beats an iPhone hands down, any time.

No removable media card
    No removable battery
    No Cut and Paste
    And much, much more reliable PUSH email...
    02-18-09 06:01 PM
    I dont understand why people try to say that the iPhone isnt a business phone. Its just as business capable as a BlackBerry if not more.
    So how is an iPhone more business capable? I really want to know what business functions an iPhone can do that a BB can't. I can think of more ways that an iPhone is less business capable, but not enough ways it is good that outweigh the negatives.

But then on crackberry.com, most of us are fairly biased.
    02-19-09 10:20 AM
    I dont understand why people try to say that the iPhone isnt a business phone. Its just as business capable as a BlackBerry if not more.
    The iPhone is purely entertainment only. The apps selection is evidence enough. For example; etch-a-sketch apps and sound effect apps.
    Nothing like sitting in a meeting wanting to select your calender and accidentally touching your fart app. Yea, really business savvy.

Apple produces entertainment equipment, that's why you don't see iMacs in MOST corporate offices because more corporate programs are windows based.

BB works easily with any business and PC's within those businesses. iPhones syncs with...iTunes...

02-19-09 10:29 AM
    How this thread turned into another IPhone vs BB thing is beyond
    me. And why there are so many people who fail to see the obvious
    shortcomings of the BB, irrespective of whatever else is on the
    market is even more astounding. RIM, IMO, does as well as it
    does because of willing to accept less users who think the BB
    can do no wrong. As long as that mindset permeates the market,
    RIM has no incentive to do better. And now that they are marketing
    to a more consumer oriented market, they have even less of one.

Great device? Yes! As good as we know RIM has the capability
    of turning out? Not by a long shot.

A little and objectivity would be really nice to see for a change.
    But I guess that ain't going to happen here.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-19-09 at 10:53 AM.
    02-19-09 10:50 AM
    RIM need to work on their OS - they need some updates over the coming years: better browser, flash, html email rendering, in-built ms office compatibility, better syncing and file transfer software. Is anyone aware of a RIM roadmap showing dates by which they hope to accomplish these? It may be they exist only internal to RIM, but they'd better have them planned out over the next 5 years if they want to stay serious contenders for the future. Otherwise they'll be on the eternal rundown like palm are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 11:51 AM
    I think there are a lot of BES business features that those of us on BIS don't get to see.

Businesses can control security better with their employees using BBs. Push e-mail is just a small portion ofthat. There are collaboration applications, ability to communicate instantly, and MDS features.

One of the things talked about on the recent podcast is that BES/MDS gives BB users the ability to port their office extension to their BB. As far as peopleknow, they are just calling the office extension even though it goes directly to the BB. Calls from the BB show up as if they are from the office extension. That's a pretty kewl business feature.
    02-19-09 12:12 PM
    Did Obama have an iphone? Or any palm devices?

NO

The president of USA fought his way so that he can still use his bb.

That's saying something.

02-19-09 12:15 PM
    Meh.

Hopefully BlackBerry won't be going away anytime soon-

But With Todays Unstable Economy, you never know...

But I feel it is foolish to think that the "dated" OS that it run will be its undoing.

People don't like change, and a major revamping of its OS will leave many old school BB users out in the cold.

Little By Little the OS has Changed-

Little By Little People Will Adapt.

This Ensures that the Old School Users Won't Become Overwhelmed With Changes.
    02-19-09 02:54 PM
    RIM need to work on their OS - they need some updates over the coming years: better browser, flash, html email rendering, in-built ms office compatibility, better syncing and file transfer software.
    I agree that these things need to be added, just to keep up with the pace of technology.

It may be they exist only internal to RIM, but they'd better have them planned out over the next 5 years if they want to stay serious contenders for the future. Otherwise they'll be on the eternal rundown like palm are.
    I disagree with this statement. BlackBerry is the industry-standard BUSINESS phone. It doesnt need all the flashy additions to be one of the best selling phones of all time. Its built a solid reputation as an Business phone, not a multi-media machine like the iphone.
    02-19-09 03:02 PM
    RIM need to work on their OS - they need some updates over the coming years: better browser, flash, html email rendering, in-built ms office compatibility, better syncing and file transfer software. Is anyone aware of a RIM roadmap showing dates by which they hope to accomplish these? It may be they exist only internal to RIM, but they'd better have them planned out over the next 5 years if they want to stay serious contenders for the future. Otherwise they'll be on the eternal rundown like palm are.

There definately is room for improvement, like anything else. Browser definately.

Flash: Is lack of Flash due to RIM, or Flash? Adobe is having trouble getting Flash to work on the iPhone as well.

HTML Email: I swear my users on 4.5+ already had this builtin. It doesn't get images by default, but thats a security feature.

Builtin Office compatibility: Again, isn't this already there? Reading docs works. Basic editing of docs works. Sure it doesn't have all the features, but theres a paid product if you want to get fancy. We get parts of Documents to Go free, good enough for the basics.

Better Syncing: Some improvements coming in 5.0, particularly folders. But it seems to me the Blackberry syncs better than current Windows Mobile or iPhone, even in an Exchange environment.

To me, the browser can use the most work. But then you have options. Don't like IE? Use Firefox. Don't use the Blackberry Browser? Use Opera Mini, Bolt etc. Unless your BES Admin blocks it of course.

And of course if you're on a BES and some of the features that I have and you don't, even with 4.5, don't blame RIM, talk to your BES admin.
    02-19-09 03:23 PM
    I think there are a lot of BES business features that those of us on BIS don't get to see.
    I think I need to keep remembering that. Some of the features that are being mentioned as not being there, we have as I'm running SP6 on our 4.1 server. I forget that BIS and BPS users don't always get the latest toys.
    02-19-09 03:26 PM
    Long Live Blackberry!!
    02-19-09 04:43 PM
    with most mobiles i have had blackberries are more me... i even switched while having my curve to a samsung g600 and then switched back as i couldnt get the feel back from a normal mobile i just love them and that is me i think they can compete against other types of phones
    02-19-09 05:18 PM
    It's like compairing apples and oranges. I am a stock trader and the BB has all of the features I need plus so much more! The iPhone is meant for non business users and has all of the media and fun games. And the Palm, don't even get me started, they all are way too thick, graphics are bad and pretty much look like an elephant swallowed a brick and then threw up. The Blackberry has no competition! The BB has way more users (19 million in the U.S. alone) then the iPhone or any Palm devices combined. There's nothing to worry about, if you ever need assurance, think of the 18,999,999 others and I guarantee that you willl feel SO much better. So don't fret, the 19 million strong Blackberry is not EVER going ANYWHERE!!
    02-19-09 05:26 PM
    Did Obama have an iphone? Or any palm devices?

NO

The president of USA fought his way so that he can still use his bb.

That's saying something.
    It says absolutely nothing.

Hopefully not seeming insulting, this is one of the most absurd
    statements made in this thread or anywhere on the internet EVER!

The fact that the President or anyone else famous chose the BB and not some
    other device does not speak to that devices efficacy as a tool, but simply to
    that individuals choice. Do you buy your clothes, shoes, food etc based on
    what the President prefers. Of course you don't.

Now what exactly are you bringing to this discussion?
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-19-09 at 05:31 PM.
    02-19-09 05:28 PM
    I used to have an IPhone, along with a other Windows Mobile devices. IPhones although they are slowly being used by some companies, is not as robust as a BB. When connected to a BES, an administrator can disable a BB and wipe the user's info on it, then transfer all that info to a different BB. Email connectivity as been the bread and butter of BB, and to this day no one has been able to give BB a close enough competition in that field. Recently, the new BB's are starting to be geared a bit more into the "normal" consumer market, hence the addition of multimedia software.
    Although the IPhone's touchscreen and accelerometer is unsurpassed (at least from my experience), typing for long periods of time on one becomes trying. Not to mention it takes up more than half of the screen so its hard to see what you are typing after a while. But at the end of the day, its just another ipod.

In regards to WM devices, I haven't seen or heard of a WMD that doesn't slow down or that doesn't have to be reset in the middle of the day. Not to mention trying to get patches for its myriad of OS issues is like asking a pig to fly.
    02-19-09 07:35 PM
    With phones like the iPhone and the Palm Pre can BlackBerry and their dated OS compete?
    Apple = toys Kids love them. Just my opinion.

Last year, I dove into the smart phone market and started with an HTC with Windows Mobile. One month later I dumped it and tried a Palm Treo, one month later dumped it and went back to my Nokia flip. For several years now, I have had a great PDA with wi-fi running Windows, it's been great, but I think I can now retire it!

Yesterday, decided to give BB a try. Wow, wow, wow... SOLD! Between the very easy to use interface to having resources like this site, which by the way, has helped with every question I have had so far through searches, I am sure I will be working with my BB for years to come. Yes, I said "working" as it is for my business...

Black Berry does compete and will continue to compete and in my opinion, surpass. Apple, stick to MP3 players and cute computers. Not trying to flame here, just feel strongly about this.
    02-25-09 09:51 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD