This is EMTEK's decision, NOT blackberry limited's.
    Fire your hate at emtek, not blackberry.
    I'll continue to support blackberry via BBME (enterprise) once I get the key2. It's well worth the $6 every six months. Why?

• No ads
    • No bloat
    • Straight-forward original BBM.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    04-18-19 10:13 PM
    This is EMTEK's decision, NOT blackberry limited's.
    Fire your hate at emtek, not blackberry.
    I'll continue to support blackberry via BBME (enterprise) once I get the key2. It's well worth the $6 every six months. Why?

• No ads
    • No bloat
    • Straight-forward original BBM.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    Or use the much more feature-rich Telegram for free. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-18-19 10:25 PM
    For free?

04-18-19 10:44 PM
    For free?
    Yes.
    04-18-19 10:55 PM
    Yes. [IMG=1024x893]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190419/d736c4751cd8f3339c99165273f5d532.jpg[/url]
    So the anti-Zuck but only kinda?
    04-18-19 11:50 PM
    Downloaded BBMe...love it...much closer to the real BBM than emtek's BBM. Uninstalled the emtek version. Got 1 year free subscription.

My LE just got better
    seletok, Jake2826 and Sigewif like this.
    04-19-19 12:25 AM
    people are not going to pay for a IM, especially when there's free ones out there, people are cheap/frugal they will not dish out $$$$ noooo way cheers
    04-19-19 05:45 AM
    Downloaded BBMe...love it...much closer to the real BBM than emtek's BBM. Uninstalled the emtek version. Got 1 year free subscription.

My LE just got better
    Did your groups and contacts from you BBM consumer account merge over to the BBMe version? That’s the major concern for folks in my BBM groups. No one including myself wants to rebuild all my contacts and groups again.
    04-19-19 06:29 AM
    Did your groups and contacts from you BBM consumer account merge over to the BBMe version? That’s the major concern for folks in my BBM groups. No one including myself wants to rebuild all my contacts and groups again.
    Especially when in a year's time, it would be questionable how many would continue under a paid program.
    bakron1 likes this.
    04-19-19 07:13 AM
    No. Everything has to be set up from scratch - much like moving to any other messaging app.
    04-19-19 07:13 AM
    No. Everything has to be set up from scratch - much like moving to any other messaging app.
    I thought so, looks like the migration to WhatsApp is going to be permanent, oh well, an end to a great app and life rolls on.
    04-19-19 07:22 AM
    Do any of you guys know of WhatsAp will be "free" a year from now? And what else are you giving up? How many Facebook privacy leaks will be exposed by then?

That's pretty short-sighted thinking if you ask me. Why not try BBMe for a year? And as for migrating over - some are reporting their contacts have transferred over while others had issues. Just because it didn't work for some people ON THE FIRST DAY IT WAS ANNOUNCED...do you think it's fair to jump to conclusions?
    04-19-19 07:49 AM

My LE just got better
    Did you have to provide payment details to get the 1 year free?

It is asking me for payment option. I am not paying for this.
    04-19-19 07:56 AM

It signs you up for a subscription yes, so it links to a payment method - but it's free for a year. And it this case free really does mean free - a year of BlackBerry secured end to end 100% private encrypted messaging with no data mining.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    04-19-19 08:16 AM
    But then, at some point, you will have to pay for something you can get for free elsewhere. Plus, the feature set of BBM is hopelessly dated compared to modern consumer solutions like Telegram for instance.
    04-19-19 08:19 AM
    It signs you up for a subscription yes, so it links to a payment method - but it's free for a year. And it this case free really does mean free - a year of BlackBerry secured end to end 100% private encrypted messaging with no data mining.
    Thanks
    WhatsCrap it is then. Not providing my payment information for this

They should have a coupon code
    04-19-19 08:20 AM

Why bother? Just use any messenger that's free on the surface.

For the life of me, I'll never understand how so many expect real free.. There's no free.. Eventually you pay with cash or data. That's life unless you just bounce from each free item to each free item.

Things have expenses to operate and exist. Personal data is what the majority of consumers use as the preferred method of payment.
    04-19-19 08:22 AM
    Do any of you guys know of WhatsAp will be "free" a year from now? And what else are you giving up? How many Facebook privacy leaks will be exposed by then?

That's pretty short-sighted thinking if you ask me. Why not try BBMe for a year? And as for migrating over - some are reporting their contacts have transferred over while others had issues. Just because it didn't work for some people ON THE FIRST DAY IT WAS ANNOUNCED...do you think it's fair to jump to conclusions?
    Not jumping to conclusions, its better to be prepared then wait until the end and find out none of your groups or contacts will merge over and what features will still be available? I rather just move on to something thats going to be here for a while and already has most of the features we where familiar with in BBMc.

Facebook and WhatsApp is not going anywhere anytime soon and as far any security issues, there is no service thats 100% secure and anytime you go on the grid, your vulnerable, not an issue for myself and most of my BBM folks whom have already migrated over to WhatsApp.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-19-19 08:31 AM
    Hi guys, I'm Using BlackBerry Z30 and my wife is using BlackBerry Leap, we just downloaded WhatsApp android ver. 2.19.105 from WhatsApp website and so far everything is working well, chat, send pictures, video call, voice call all working well. NO NEED FIX SOFTWARE, JUST DOWNLOADED AND ITS WORKED RIGHT AWAY.
    Previously we were using BBM but from now on we're moving to WhatsApp, so Bye-bye BBM, you are always in my heart.

Ps: Don't forget to enable 'Allow Apps from Other Sources to be Installed' from Settings>App Manager>Installing Apps before installing.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kelom; 04-19-19 at 09:17 AM.
    bakron1 likes this.
    04-19-19 08:46 AM
    Not jumping to conclusions, its better to be prepared then wait until the end and find out none of your groups or contacts will merge over and what features will still be available? I rather just move on to something thats going to be here for a while and already has most of the features we where familiar with in BBMc.

Facebook and WhatsApp is not going anywhere anytime soon and as far any security issues, there is no service thats 100% secure and anytime you go on the grid, your vulnerable, not an issue for myself and most of my BBM folks whom have already migrated over to WhatsApp.
    Sure, my bad then for assuming that when people jump off the bandwagon on the very first day an EOL announcement is made, that there isn't a certain degree of impatience associated with that decision. Especially when there is a free (for one year) replacement available.

I know all the arguments for going to those more popular, "free" IM platforms. They are the same arguments that have been made for years. Seems to me some have just been looking for an excuse to cut BBM loose and this was the last straw. For all those people, the decision was basically already made. It's understandable, but WhatsAp or whatever app (other than BBMe) isn't the only option here for those who have a genuine interest in continuing to use a BBM / BlackBerry product.
    04-19-19 09:21 AM
    Sure, my bad then for assuming that when people jump off the bandwagon on the very first day an EOL announcement is made, that there isn't a certain degree of impatience associated with that decision. Especially when there is a free (for one year) replacement available.

I know all the arguments for going to those more popular, "free" IM platforms. They are the same arguments that have been made for years. Seems to me some have just been looking for an excuse to cut BBM loose and this was the last straw. For all those people, the decision was basically already made. It's understandable, but WhatsAp or whatever app (other than BBMe) isn't the only option here for those who have a genuine interest in continuing to use a BBM / BlackBerry product.
    Well put sir and I do agree there are other options such as telegram, discord, slack and a few other messaging apps out there. For me and the folks in our groups, WhatsApp was the obvious choice.

We have a lot of overseas folks who say WhatsApp is what everyone uses, so it was an easy transition for them. In the end, we all should appreciate the time we where able to use BBM and move on.

Unfortunately in this age of fast moving technology and corporate consolidation, revenue is going to be the determining factor wether a app, product or services survive and that’s just reality in 2019.
    04-19-19 11:10 AM

The problem is that BBMe demographic is CB members if you think about it. Our circle of family and contacts are mostly the 99% that don’t fit that model. In this instance, bakron1 various groups and their members are more likely to either continue membership on WhatsApp or similar App versus BBMe is really just an extension of the Enterprise demographic required for employee use in a corporation.
    04-19-19 11:13 AM
    The problem is that BBMe demographic is CB members if you think about it. Our circle of family and contacts are mostly the 99% that don’t fit that model. In this instance, bakron1 various groups and their members are more likely to either continue membership on WhatsApp or similar App versus BBMe is really just an extension of the Enterprise demographic required for employee use in a corporation.
    It comes down to preference. You would think a bunch of BlackBerry-minded folks using a BlackBerry product very few still use anyway would be open to at least trying out moving over to free BBMe for a year? Doesn't seem too unreasonable. That's what I've done, and the process was relatively simple and to be honest I actually prefer the BBMe App and that it's actually backed by BlackBerry directly and not some third party licensee.

To each his/her own. Like I said, my sense is the cost a year from now isn't the real issue but rather some people were looking for a reason to dump BBM anyway and Emtek just handed it to them on a silver platter. The transition to something other than BBM won't be a painless one either and some members and groups will be lost one way or the other, don't kid yourself.
    Last edited by dendron01; 04-19-19 at 11:39 AM.
    04-19-19 11:28 AM
    This is my situation with family and friends as well. I'll pay. Others won't. They don't understand or care about encryption or data mining. Bread and circuses.
    04-19-19 11:30 AM
    There is an upside to this as there should have been only one version of BBM in the first place.

Next step is BBMe for all
    Renamed to BBM
    No ads for those who want to pay subscription
    Ads for those who don't want to pay subscription
    PantherBlitz and elfabio80 like this.
    04-19-19 11:34 AM
159 12345 ...